Results 3,401 to 3,410 of 5380

Thread: General Football Nonsense

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Liverpool make world record profit:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47168032

If you want to see a well run club, look not further than Liverpool, title challengers, CL final invest in the team by making big signings and now record profit (they spent far more than they brought in incidentally), being successful brings rewards on and off the pitch, who'd have thought it?

They also leapfrog us in terms of revenue into 3rd.
    Last edited by Özim; 08-02-2019 at 12:05 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They've won one league cup in the last 10 years
    You'd have been moaning your moany tits off for most of that if you supported them...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    They've won one league cup in the last 10 years
    You'd have been moaning your moany tits off for most of that if you supported them...
    They've properly challenged for the league several times, have got into the CL final last season and the Europa final the season before and are in the title race this season, on top of that they have a really exciting team, have invested heavily in the squad making big signings and have now recorded massive profits which should allow more investment, all this without the supposed golden goose that is the shiny new stadium and thus much reduced match day revenue.

I'd happily be where Liverpool are right now, they're in a really good place and on an upward curve. That 5-1 thumping should tell you how far behind we are, despite having had this big new stadium for 13 years, it's quite frankly embarrassing to see where we find ourselves compared to them, with no money, struggling to challenge for 4th spot and an average playing squad.
    Last edited by Özim; 08-02-2019 at 01:14 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Overall, of course I'd rather be where they are than where we are. But they've "challenged" before then fallen back. In 2013/14 they finished 2nd, only 2 points off the top. Couple of seasons later they finished 8th.
    And it's interesting you regard 1 league cup in 10 years and some finals and title challenges as "success on the pitch" but 3 FA Cups in the same timeframe isn't.
    Liverpool have not achieved consistent "success on the pitch".
    We're not in a good place and with our owner I don't see that improving, but the way you distort facts to pursue your little agendas is ridiculous.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Özim View Post
    I'd happily be where Liverpool are right now, they're in a really good place and on an upward curve. That 5-1 thumping should tell you how far behind we are, despite having had this big new stadium for 13 years, it's quite frankly embarrassing to see where we find ourselves compared to them, with no money, struggling to challenge for 4th spot and an average playing squad.
    Gaah. You edited your post, it's quite hard to respond to a moving target.
    This part I basically agree with - I'll ignore the slight WUMming.
    But just because they've been on an "upward curve" over the last few years, which they undeniably have, doesn't mean it'll continue. I gave an example in my other post of previous "upward curves" they've been on which didn't continue.
    And none of this has yet to yield "success on the pitch" in terms of trophies although that could change this year of course.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Overall, of course I'd rather be where they are than where we are. But they've "challenged" before then fallen back. In 2013/14 they finished 2nd, only 2 points off the top. Couple of seasons later they finished 8th.
    And it's interesting you regard 1 league cup in 10 years and some finals and title challenges as "success on the pitch" but 3 FA Cups in the same timeframe isn't.
    Liverpool have not achieved consistent "success on the pitch".
    We're not in a good place and with our owner I don't see that improving, but the way you distort facts to pursue your little agendas is ridiculous.
    You know what though, Liverpool changed their managers when it wasn't working, they sold their players for big money and they also don't charge the highest ticket prices in the league, now they have invested heavily, have a team challenging for everything and have made record profits!

For me that's success, yes we've won the FA Cup but we've never been challenging for the league or the CL which is really what matters lets be honest, in fact worse than that we've had to endure regular heavy defeats both in the league and in the CL last 16, I'd more than happily erase the last 10 years of Arsenals' history because IMO they have been awful.....those 10 years have culminated in this, a club with little money, very few decent players and who struggle to even qualify for the CL now and an overpaid, undermotivated squad.

If you think that's a better 10 years than Liverpool you're sadly mistaken.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gaah. You edited your post, it's quite hard to respond to a moving target.
    This part I basically agree with - I'll ignore the slight WUMming.
    But just because they've been on an "upward curve" over the last few years, which they undeniably have, doesn't mean it'll continue. I gave an example in my other post of previous "upward curves" they've been on which didn't continue.
    And none of this has yet to yield "success on the pitch" in terms of trophies although that could change this year of course.
    As I said above though, when it doesn't work or stops working Liverpool make changes, they don't just stick with a failing formula, yes it means up and downs but the ultimate aim has always been to win the title for them and they've invested heavily and have always made it clear that's what they wanted, they aren't just run as a business and yet they have made record profits, it pays to succeed on the pitch and what they are currently experiencing is success of sorts, exciting football, top players and challenging for the top prizes IS success.

That's been the problem at Arsenal, we've not been challenging for the big prizes, we we won the odd cup, but when it comes to the big prizes we've just made up th numbers, miles behind the champions or getting hammered in the last 16, that's been the constant for us in the last 10 years, we don't even have saleable assets from all of this, so in my eyes it's been a total failure on our part.

What's ironic is that we've been run as a business for years and have just been overtaken by a club who are run as a football club first and business second, they're a more successful business, on that basis the people running this business that is Arsenal have been doing a pretty poor job.
    Last edited by Özim; 08-02-2019 at 01:44 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've had a bumpy decade but so have Liverpool. No doubting which club is in the better place at the moment though.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    We've had a bumpy decade but so have Liverpool. No doubting which club is in the better place at the moment though.
    Of course. But you know that on the Liverpool boards there's a Liverpool fan version of Zim whining about how they're always challenging but never win anything and
    They're in a better place than us now, clearly, but they have been before and 2 seasons later they finished 8th.
    None of which mitigates the shambles our club has become of course

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Meanwhile Paunchetino is channelling his inner Sean Dyke to moan about fixtures - ahhh, bless...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47175519
    Last edited by Mac76; 08-02-2019 at 05:02 PM.