Page 371 of 538 FirstFirst ... 271321361369370371372373381421471 ... LastLast
Results 3,701 to 3,710 of 5375

Thread: General Football Nonsense

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    Hmm. I guess that's fair, Ollie. Some clubs have acted well enough.
    I have some issue with players still raking in the money when they are not currently doing their jobs. Not their fault of course but that could be said for loads of people who have lost their jobs because of all this. It's the sheer amount of money they're raking in which makes it all a bit hard to swallow. None of them are living hand to mouth or worrying about paying bills.

Oh i agree it doenst look at all that there are some players raking in fortunes while many suffer but if the club is not laying off staff or asking for governemnt help to pay other staff then its ok.

The issue of course is how high players salaries are but that is unaffected by this cornoavirus. They were obscene beforehand and they will be after

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ollie the Optimist View Post
    No i’m fully aware of those costs and likely impact of people losing jobs/income will have on season ticket renewals etc. But that is a separate issue to the one now.

If the clubs revenues fall next season because a majority cant afford season tickets or even one off tickets and therefore games are played at near empty stadiums, the first people to be go from teh club will be those players on high incomes. Sacking a tea boy on a £15k a year salary will make no difference to them.

At the moment, that is not happening at some clubs. They are instead asking the governemnt to pay the salaries of the non players and then paying an extortionate amount to the players.

Football is in for a rude awakening next year if they dont sort the ticket prices out or even the sky subscriptions etc. To watch all the games on BT/Amazon/Sky requires an outlay of over a £100 a month. People wont be able to pay that. If those costs go down, the next tv deal reduces etc.
    ok, glad you know how the other half lives

yes, i've always thought the TV companies could only get away with that for so long, and i think change will come sooner due to this situation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac76 View Post
    ok, glad you know how the other half lives

yes, i've always thought the TV companies could only get away with that for so long, and i think change will come sooner due to this situation.
    Yeah the tv companies are going to have a problem. BT as soon as the league was suspended refused to suspend subscriptions for those paying for BT SPort (although they may have reversed that now) whereas Sky have allowed The option of suspending it (though being cynical they saw the backlash against BT and went for the easy good PR option).

But everyone the PRemier League pay more for the rights with more markets, they claim it is giving us more choice. While they are correct in one sense that we are getting more choice, at the end of the day its just more cost. You used to be able to watch the games on sky for £50, then BT came along and charged an extra £30 and now amazon charge an extra £79 (although thats per year). So the fans still watch the same amount of games yet cost has gone up and more long term subscriptions are required.

But the worst thing is that we cant even watch all the games. Only what the tv companies tell us we can. It is unacceptable that fans in other countries can watch every game live (granted they may have to pay for a sky style subscription) yet in the UK we can only watch the games sky say we can.

I imagine clubs wil move to a model where they sell the rights to their own games. Perhaps £5 for an HD Stream or a season ticket of £100 but get all games home & away etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Premier league to ask players to take a 30% pay cut. 30% is pretty low, Barca players took a 70% pay cut, considering they're not playing or training and and 70% is still a huge amount it's a pretty poor show really even if they agree.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52148955

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just furlough the lot of them
    It's not their fault that they're not able to perform their jobs right now but that's so of a load of workers in this country in the same boat.
    I'm sure 80% of their salary (or £2,500 a month if that's less ) should see them through.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whatever else, make sure they don't get a penny from taxpayers. If they haven't got millions salted away for a rainy day then that's their stupidity and not our problem.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see everyone is having a go at Matt Hancock for saying premier league footballers should take a pay cut to help out.

1. He was asked a question and he answered it rather than starting his press conference blaming players. A small but key difference

2. This wouldn’t have been a story if Spurs & Newcastle hadn’t decided to furlough non playing staff to be paid by tax payer and keep paying their players in full.

That’s where the issue came from.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    Just furlough the lot of them
    It's not their fault that they're not able to perform their jobs right now but that's so of a load of workers in this country in the same boat.
    I'm sure 80% of their salary (or £2,500 a month if that's less ) should see them through.
    Most of them couldn't perform their jobs before the pandemic. Can't cross a ball, can't shoot straight, can't tackle, can't stay on their feet for 5 minutes before hitting the deck screaming. They were an embarrassment before and they remain an embarrassment now.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ollie the Optimist View Post
    I imagine clubs wil move to a model where they sell the rights to their own games. Perhaps £5 for an HD Stream or a season ticket of £100 but get all games home & away etc.
    In some ways it seems logical though you need to remember that one of the reasons TV games are limited is that the football authorities are worried about fewer fans going to games.

It's the reason no game is shown at 3pm on a Saturday, if it was lower league attendances in particular would really suffer.

And what would even the PL clubs do if people just watched at home instead of turning up and buying programmes, drinks, food etc, the loss of income would be huge

Having just an away-game TV ST would partly solve that, but doesn't deal with the first issue

The alternative is they let fans in for nothing or a much smaller amount as i think they do in Italy and/or Germany (?)

Then they still get the matchday food/drink money

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another reason Liverpool shouldn’t be given the title

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52165826

Why is it always the “non playing staff” while the playing staff who are also not able to do their jobs and who cost the clubs most of the money who are continuing to get the trucks of money each week to do nothing.

It’s pathetic how scared the clubs are of their players.