User Tag List

Page 443 of 538 FirstFirst ... 343393433441442443444445453493 ... LastLast
Results 4,421 to 4,430 of 5374

Thread: General Football Nonsense

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wouldn’t bother with another team personally. If the emotional attachment isn’t there then I don’t see the point in following the sport because that’s where the highs and lows come from, which is what every fan lives for.

I love the club but fucking hell it’s hard to extract any joy from watching football right now. Maybe I’m just getting older and have real things and priorities to concern myself with now. I’m quite happy just watching a short highlights video on YouTube and getting my fix from that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    Wouldn’t bother with another team personally. If the emotional attachment isn’t there then I don’t see the point in following the sport because that’s where the highs and lows come from, which is what every fan lives for.

I love the club but fucking hell it’s hard to extract any joy from watching football right now. Maybe I’m just getting older and have real things and priorities to concern myself with now. I’m quite happy just watching a short highlights video on YouTube and getting my fix from that.
    i renewed my ST but that was when i thought we were selling Xhaka

not sure how often i will go but i renewed out of habit and do like being there to see the game in person and have a pint with mates after the game, but not really very excited about it now and have further to travel than i used to, so have been a no-show so far - i just hope we get better so i can sell the damn seat on ticket exchange

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing is gonna change with Arteta in charge. We might escape relegation, but for that we need 3 teams consistently worse than us. Norwich, Watford....who else
    Make 2mrw better than 2day

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stopped reading the article when it said "Researchers".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dazthegooner View Post
    I stopped myself from clicking the link when i saw the source

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac76 View Post
    I stopped myself from clicking the link when i saw the source
    Because you are immune to investigation and totally indoctrinated. Even the worst sources get the time right twice a day.

Or, short version, you are a moron.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dazthegooner View Post
    Can understand that. I was a "researcher" many times in the past. Just make up a bunch of shit, use big words to sell it, send it to the media and bingo - a nice slot in The Times. It really is very, very easy provided you are saying what they want to hear.

I got better though.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post

Serious question though....is what's happening to us (the apathy; disenchantment; general misery etc) the result of it sinking in that we are a big club gone to seed and left behind (see Liverpool's 30 year wait for a title after 1990)? I think what has happened is that we have lost the ability as fans to do what most EPL teams other than the new 'big 4' have had to do throughout the EPL era - and that is enjoy results on a match by match basis. Even if our club had not lost its way from the last 3 years of Wenger's reign, market forces and the rise of the oligarchs/state investors would have likely meant that we would not have won the league. Would our attitude as fans be substantively different if we had finished say 5th for the past 2 years (perfectly reasonable given our resources)?

Part of me thinks that we are beating ourselves up - and directing our bile at manager; executive, players, ownership - our of a simple sense of lost status rather than anything else. If we accepted that winning the league or even top 4 is not a given in the way it was in our most recent purple period under Wenger, would we be able to enjoy the 'nuts and bolts' of football - a win; a good performance; the development of players - a bit more without the angst?
    Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That’s definitely played a part, knowing we’re also rans and seeing how uncompetitive we are. However I don’t really derive much enjoyment when do we win matches now, so I know with sincerity that I’ve fallen out of love with the game. Most of the time I couldn’t tell you when or who we’re playing next.

Maybe when I start taking my boy to games that enjoyment will return but for now I’m just happy watching from a far and being happy when we win and not really giving a shit if we don’t.

I don’t remember the last time I sat down to watch a full 90 mins of any club game. The Euros were a fun escape at least.
    Last edited by Marc Overmars; 21-09-2021 at 10:21 AM.