Results 4,571 to 4,580 of 5378

Thread: General Football Nonsense

Administrator McNamara That Ghost...'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been in place for 20+ years I think.

Also I disagree it's meaningless, you can only get in to it by winning the Champions League (for the European teams I mean, obviously). I would take that fixture congestion every single season.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It’s the Community Shield at a different level.
    Sure, you have to achieve something to get there but it’s not exactly open top bus stuff.

Administrator McNamara That Ghost...'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well none of them have been recently! Community Shield you can win by not winning anything in the season previous so I don't really agree with that comparison.

There's a world of difference between it being meaningless and celebrating it with a open top bus.

Also, they take it so hugely seriously in South America.

Resident Liverpool Fan Shaqiri Is Boss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It isn't helped by being slap bang in the middle of the season but it's not exactly a new thing, since it has essentially been going since the 60s with the Intercontinental Cup.

As said, the Brazilians especially going mental for it (I remember Alisson talking about it like it was on par with the CL the mad bastard) so I don't think it's fair to say it means nothing.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can’t take anything which you win with a one off game that seriously.
    Tbh I wouldn’t have even known about it had it not been for the posts on here.
    But admittedly that says something about my general indifference towards football these days.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McNamara That Ghost... View Post
    Been in place for 20+ years I think.

Also I disagree it's meaningless, you can only get in to it by winning the Champions League (for the European teams I mean, obviously). I would take that fixture congestion every single season.
    I meant when did people start taking notice of it? I can’t say I’ve ever really noticed when it’s been on, but these last few years the media seem to be making more of ‘a thing’ about it? Guess it’s probably just a result of English clubs having been dominant in Europe over recent years so we’ve actually had a regular stake in it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac76 View Post
    Well it's a meaningless competition amd now Chelsea have a more crowded fixture llst so more fool them
    Yeah jokes on them, winning the Champions League and subsequently having to play more games and win more trophies the following season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I am invisible View Post
    I meant when did people start taking notice of it? I can’t say I’ve ever really noticed when it’s been on, but these last few years the media seem to be making more of ‘a thing’ about it? Guess it’s probably just a result of English clubs having been dominant in Europe over recent years so we’ve actually had a regular stake in it?
    It’s always been a thing but of course the media will cover it more if there’s an English representative.

As Arsenal fans we’ve never had an interest in it on a count of us competing in it being nothing but a pipe dream.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    Yeah jokes on them, winning the Champions League and subsequently having to play more games and win more trophies the following season.

It’s not really a trophy though, is it?
    I mean if you’re in it then sure you want to win it. And sure you have to achieve something to even get there. But it’s still a one off game.

Resident Liverpool Fan Shaqiri Is Boss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    *Two off game.

You have to win a semi final as well. And if you're from one of them funky countries, one or two games on top of that.

Though I'm sure you'll be pleased to know FIFA want to expand it in the near future to include 24 32 48 all the clubs!
    Last edited by Shaqiri Is Boss; 13-02-2022 at 09:09 PM.