User Tag List

Page 473 of 538 FirstFirst ... 373423463471472473474475483523 ... LastLast
Results 4,721 to 4,730 of 5380

Thread: General Football Nonsense

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have tried. And I will watch the final. I’ll even be pleased if we win and a bit disappointed if we lose. But that’s about it. I won’t suddenly start following any womens teams. Some of the technique isn’t bad, but the goalkeeping is generally awful and overall it’s just not that good quality.

The equal pay argument is a silly one. Sportsmen and women are paid depending on the money their sport generates. I always think they “but men play 5 sets” argument about Wimbledon done is a spurious one. Athletes aren’t paid at an hourly rate and by that reasoning why wouldn’t you pay men and women footballers the same? They both play 90 minutes. And it’s not about quality.
    Clearly the best men players/teams would beat the best women because biology. What it comes down to is how much money the sport generates. When the womens game attracts multi-billion pound sponsorship and TV deals, when you have fans filling 60,000 seat stadium and paying through the nose to be there then they can be paid the same. Till then they can sod off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don’t really care but good luck to them. Hope they win it.

What I find funny is how they talk about the womens game in an all encompassed way with the mens. Apparently one of them is close to breaking Rooney’s England goal record , apparently this is the 5th time England have ever competed in a final etc. I even heard some bint on the radio say they can end 56 years of hurt!

Nonsense, they’re 2 separate, incomparable games as far as anyone is concerned. Mens records are mens records, just like womens are womens records.
    Last edited by Marc Overmars; 28-07-2022 at 06:00 PM.

Resident Liverpool Fan Shaqiri Is Boss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I've got no issue with it being pushed. I've got no issue with the idea of wanting girls to feel like they can and should play football. I've got no issue with it being over represented to try and accelerate interest in it.

Just don't expect me to care. I can barely bring myself to care about men's football as it is.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I saw some online ad earlier basically saying you're not a proper football fan unless you support the women.
    Oh piss off.

I mean, I support them in as much as I always support England/Team GB in sports. But the amount I care depends on the sport and, in this case, the sex.
    In some sports that makes no difference, I think I'd be as pleased if a British woman won Wimbledon as I was when Murray did.
    With football, I just don't care about the women's game that much. It's just not as good, I'm not as invested in it. Promote it by all means, but you can't force people to care about it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post

I saw some online ad earlier basically saying you're not a proper football fan unless you support the women.
    Oh piss off.

I mean, I support them in as much as I always support England/Team GB in sports. But the amount I care depends on the sport and, in this case, the sex.
    In some sports that makes no difference, I think I'd be as pleased if a British woman won Wimbledon as I was when Murray did.
    With football, I just don't care about the women's game that much. It's just not as good, I'm not as invested in it. Promote it by all means, but you can't force people to care about it.
    Yes interesting that Tennis and Athletics are sports where you probably feel as pleased when a British woman wins as with a man... maybe that extends to most Olympic sports because its mostly about medals for most people, not so much love of the sport itself. But team sports not so much - although I remember watching Arsenal ladies beating Sp*rs - maybe last year (?) and I found myself caring. But that's because of my feelings for the respective clubs...
    Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don’t care for those that talk down to the women’s game.

Nor do I care for those that try to big it up into something it isn’t.

Judge it by its own merits and don’t try to compare it to something it isn’t. There is a vast difference between the mens and womens game.
    If you don’t send this signature to ten people, you will become a Spurs fan.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

(Your sig needs updating )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i'd urge people to watch the final if they can - i admit i've only watched England-Sweden and France-Germany but particularly in the England game, the standard was pretty good - there were some howlers in the France-Germany game though, but also some very good play

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The technical quality in the top teams is actually pretty good. Although beyond that the standard isn't that high. Which is fine, a lot of countries probably don't even have professional women's leagues, or at best they're new. Arsenal ladies have only been professional for 20 years and we're probably one of the early ones. It will get better. I doubt I'll ever care as much as I do the men's game - in the same way I don't care about the Italian league as much as I do the PL...and I don't care about the latter that much these days.