Page 498 of 540 FirstFirst ... 398448488496497498499500508 ... LastLast
Results 4,971 to 4,980 of 5399

Thread: General Football Nonsense

Resident Liverpool Fan Shaqiri Is Boss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But then that's the argument when every TV show say has got to have one woman, one minority, one alternative sexual orientation, one tag-of-something.

On its own of course it's not a problem. I couldn't give two shits of who is representing who so long as that person is prescient to the topic at hand. The problem comes when you know full well why they are doing it. It's not because that person is the funniest. Or the most intelligent. Or the best qualified to speak. It's purely and solely to tick a box.

And it is hard to say that because it is a slippery slope to something more sinister. But life isn't done by committee. And if we pretend it is then that's doing more harm than good.
    Last edited by Shaqiri Is Boss; 13-02-2023 at 07:41 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaqiri Is Boss View Post
    I couldn't give two shits of who is representing who so long as that person is prescient to the topic at hand. The problem comes when you know full well why they are doing it.
    Right.
    One of the adverts I saw was for Sainsbury's loans ffs. I can't actually remember the contents of the advert but the picture was of a male groom and groom.
    It was just shoehorned in as a pointless box-tick. Well, it wasn't pointless. The point was to virtue signal.
    There were the obvious negative comments and the equally obvious responses calling the commenters bigots.
    And some of the commenters were probably bigots, but I suspect most were just, like me, a bit fed up of it being shoe-horned into every corner of the media when the percentages of people this represents are vanishingly small compared with it being absolutely bloody everywhere in the media.
    Some of that is a backlash to centuries of oppression I guess, but there is a middle ground.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    Right.
    One of the adverts I saw was for Sainsbury's loans ffs. I can't actually remember the contents of the advert but the picture was of a male groom and groom.
    It was just shoehorned in as a pointless box-tick. Well, it wasn't pointless. The point was to virtue signal.
    There were the obvious negative comments and the equally obvious responses calling the commenters bigots.
    And some of the commenters were probably bigots, but I suspect most were just, like me, a bit fed up of it being shoe-horned into every corner of the media when the percentages of people this represents are vanishingly small compared with it being absolutely bloody everywhere in the media.
    Some of that is a backlash to centuries of oppression I guess, but there is a middle ground.
    Problem with virtue signalling is that often those doing it are the least committed to the cause in real terms.
    Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Belgian goalkeeper Arne Espeel dies at age 25 after saving penalty

Belgian goalkeeper Arne Espeel died after he collapsed on the pitch on Saturday moments after saving a penalty for his team. He was 25.

Winkel Sport B, who play in the second provincial division of West Brabant in Belgium, were 2-1 up against Westrozebeke when their opponents were awarded a penalty in the second half.

According to reports in Belgian media, Espeel saved the spot kick but dropped to the ground afterward. Emergency services rushed to help Espeel and tried to revive him with a defibrillator, but he was pronounced dead shortly after he was taken to a hospital.

The game was played at the club's home ground in Sint-Eloois-Winkel in the West Flanders Province.

"Winkel Sport is in very deep mourning by the sudden death of Arne Espeel," the club said in a statement.

"We wish family and friends of Arne our heartfelt condolences in this heavy loss. Football is an afterthought."

An autopsy was scheduled to have taken place on Monday to determine the cause of Espeel's death.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/48...psing-on-pitch

Safe and effective​TM

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right.
    Are you so threatened by a happy gay couple you can't see past the rage to focus on the actual content of the advert?

Why are you so homophobic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wengerbabies View Post
    Are you so threatened by a happy gay couple you can't see past the rage to focus on the actual content of the advert?

Why are you so homophobic.
    I'm not sure youve understood the point of Letters' post. Its not the fact that there was a gay couple featured, its the fact that this appeared tokenistic.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quite amusing of Wengerbabies to illustrate my point.
    Unless he was kidding.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quite amusing of Wengerbabies to illustrate my point.
    Unless he was kidding.
    Yes there is that...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Qatar have apparently bid 5 billion for Man United.

Very bad news for the rest of the league if this happens. They’re already a commercial juggernaut, combine that with the unlimited funds Qatar would provide, then you’ve got a strong possibility of another 2 decades worth of dominance. These Arabs don’t really play second fiddle.