Page 444 of 538 FirstFirst ... 344394434442443444445446454494 ... LastLast
Results 4,431 to 4,440 of 5374

Thread: General Football Nonsense

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    Can understand that. I was a "researcher" many times in the past. Just make up a bunch of shit, use big words to sell it, send it to the media and bingo - a nice slot in The Times. It really is very, very easy provided you are saying what they want to hear.

I got better though.
    The Times - right-wing media outlet with little regard for the truth - i think you're right were you were back then tbh

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Football was the thing that dad and me did together, when he got too ill to go it did lose some of its shine.
    Another factor is getting older, getting married, having a kid. Priorities change.
    And us being a bit rubbish is definitely a factor.

But for a long time I've been depressed about the way football has gone in general. The billionaires coming in, the exponential rise in salaries and transfer fees to the point it all becomes meaningless. And that feeds into the change of the relationship between fan and club which has now become customer and business. The club don't care about us, they care about our money. I actually unfollowed Arsenal on FB recently because every sodding post (apart from after a humiliating defeat) was tagged with their merchandise. "Look who's back in training! (Oh, and would you like to buy a shirt? It's only £65)". Oh piss off!
    I had an attachment to Arsenal the club, I have none to Arsenal to the business. Why would I?

And all this money causes another problem - predictability. That's the death of sport.
    Leicester were a refreshing exception to the rule a few years back but the big money juggernauts have rolled in, sponsored by money men, and with the rise of the CL it's all become self sustaining. It's almost impressive how we've managed to become so rubbish despite our financial cloud.
    But look at the table. We are 5 games in and the top 5 are:
    Chelsea, Liverpool, Utd, Brighton and City.
    Brighton clearly the outliers there but before the season started I could have told you that the other 4 would most likely make up the top 4, 5 games in and they're already there or thereabouts. Which is how it was last year. And it'll probably the same next year.
    Yawn.

Obviously this isn't that new, there was the Arsenal/Utd duopoly for a while but if you go back far enough you'll see proper unpredictability.
    Arsenal famously won the Double in 70/71, the previous season we finished 12th. The following season we finished 5th and Derby, who'd finished 9th in our Double year, were Champions. The more money there is in the game and the more unevenly it's distributed the more predictable things become. Dreams that "next year could be our year" are now all but dead for all but the fans of clubs of a few select teams whose fans know they'll be in the mix year on year.

Who cares which billionaire fuelled team beats which other one? Would my indifference be less if Arsenal were in the mix. I guess so, but I've had these concerns about football for a long time.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    I know with sincerity that I’ve fallen out of love with the game.

The Euros were a fun escape at least.
    Exactly. I don't think you've fallen out of love with the game, you've probably just fallen out of love with Arsenal and the Premier League.
    I have too for the reasons I outlined above. But yes, the Euros were brilliant because it's a sport. You can't buy all the best players at international level.
    Kinda why I'm going to a few local games. I don't really care if they win - maybe that will grow if I get more in to it - but it feels more fun again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    Football was the thing that dad and me did together, when he got too ill to go it did lose some of its shine.
    Another factor is getting older, getting married, having a kid. Priorities change.
    And us being a bit rubbish is definitely a factor.

But for a long time I've been depressed about the way football has gone in general. The billionaires coming in, the exponential rise in salaries and transfer fees to the point it all becomes meaningless. And that feeds into the change of the relationship between fan and club which has now become customer and business. The club don't care about us, they care about our money. I actually unfollowed Arsenal on FB recently because every sodding post (apart from after a humiliating defeat) was tagged with their merchandise. "Look who's back in training! (Oh, and would you like to buy a shirt? It's only £65)". Oh piss off!
    I had an attachment to Arsenal the club, I have none to Arsenal to the business. Why would I?

And all this money causes another problem - predictability. That's the death of sport.
    Leicester were a refreshing exception to the rule a few years back but the big money juggernauts have rolled in, sponsored by money men, and with the rise of the CL it's all become self sustaining. It's almost impressive how we've managed to become so rubbish despite our financial cloud.
    But look at the table. We are 5 games in and the top 5 are:
    Chelsea, Liverpool, Utd, Brighton and City.
    Brighton clearly the outliers there but before the season started I could have told you that the other 4 would most likely make up the top 4, 5 games in and they're already there or thereabouts. Which is how it was last year. And it'll probably the same next year.
    Yawn.

Obviously this isn't that new, there was the Arsenal/Utd duopoly for a while but if you go back far enough you'll see proper unpredictability.
    Arsenal famously won the Double in 70/71, the previous season we finished 12th. The following season we finished 5th and Derby, who'd finished 9th in our Double year, were Champions. The more money there is in the game and the more unevenly it's distributed the more predictable things become. Dreams that "next year could be our year" are now all but dead for all but the fans of clubs of a few select teams whose fans know they'll be in the mix year on year.

Who cares which billionaire fuelled team beats which other one? Would my indifference be less if Arsenal were in the mix. I guess so, but I've had these concerns about football for a long time.
    obvs what you say is generally true but you do point out the exceptions to the rule without giving them enough recognition - Leicester winning the title proves a 'smaller' club can do it and Brighton's position, while no doubt temporary, shows any club can have an impact.

Also Arsenal shows that a 'big' club can also fail if mismanaged over a long period of time. Why are Liverpool now a guaranteed top 4 side? they've always had money and a 'big club' track record but it took sound financial management and the right manager to get them where they are now

it wasn't that long ago that Chelsea finished outside the European places and then went on to win the league

so football still throws up surprises and for me it''s seeing good players do their stuff on the pitch that keeps me interested - (which is why that new 'go easy' refereeing rule disturbs me - if bad tackles are going to be let off, it will disrupt being able to see those good players show their skills)

Go back as far as you like and the league winners were always predictable up to a point - look at Liverpool in the 70-s/80s for example

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac76 View Post
    Go back as far as you like and the league winners were always predictable up to a point - look at Liverpool in the 70-s/80s for example
    Football existed before the 70s, you know!
    But even in the 70s, yes Liverpool won the title a few times but from 1970 to 1981 there were 7 different champions.
    There have only been that many in the last 30 years of PL football. And that's including Blackburn and Leicester who I'd suggest were one offs.
    You're basically right in a lot of what you say, but there's no doubt that the predictability has increased.
    Right now I don't know which of last year's top 4 will win it, but I'd put my house on it being one of them. This early in a season I really shouldn't be so certain about this.

Administrator McNamara That Ghost...'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Xisco sacked by Watford.

They're 14th...what did they expect Watford would do this season?!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McNamara That Ghost... View Post
    Xisco sacked by Watford.

They're 14th...what did they expect Watford would do this season?!
    Let's hope they get Allardyce

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just found out Ronaldo is back at United

Football

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow. You have been busy banging.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

General Football Nonsense

Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    Wow. You have been busy wanking.

Edited for accuracy
    If you don’t send this signature to ten people, you will become a Spurs fan.