User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Man City 0-0 Arsenal - Player Ratings and Match Reaction

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dazthegooner View Post
    Also Sky mentioned the anniversary of David 'Rocky Rocastle mentioning he was in the team that beat an exceptional Liverpool side at Anfield 2-0 in one of the greatest climaxes to a league season though had to slip in Aguero's against the mighty QPR.
    He did although he kind of acknowledged the Liverpool game was more noteworthy

As we all know QPR were safe at that point so had basically stopped playing, which makes Citeh's achievement less significant

Bte I remember seeing a phone video on Twitter from the QPR fans area, (which was behind the goal where Citeh scored the decisive goal) and they were all cheering on Citeh because they didn't want Man Ure to win the title

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac76 View Post
    He did although he kind of acknowledged the Liverpool game was more noteworthy

As we all know QPR were safe at that point so had basically stopped playing, which makes Citeh's achievement less significant

Bte I remember seeing a phone video on Twitter from the QPR fans area, (which was behind the goal where Citeh scored the decisive goal) and they were all cheering on Citeh because they didn't want Man Ure to win the title
    Yep 100%

I think on any level going to the home of the Champions where no one had won by two goals in almost a decade. And we certainly hadn’t won there in years and needing to win 2-0. Is a far bigger achievement than a late winner against ten man QPR, who were only in front because City shat the bed through nerves.

May 26th was less than six weeks after April 15th…the whole country wanted Liverpool to win the title because of what had happened, outside of rags like the Sun there was solidarity amongst fans because the idea of going to a football game and never coming back was something recognised could happen to any fan base if a match wasn’t properly officiated.

No one expected us to do what we did no one, despite his bravado I doubt even George Graham expected it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HCZ_Reborn View Post
    March 31st 2001.

Fans sang his name in the stands for years after

He’d have been 57 in May.
    Went to the Spuds home game shortly after he passed and during the minutes silence there wasn't a murmur from them (actually think someone tried to but was quickly shut down) showed that even rivalries are put aside during moments like this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry guys, but is this actually what we get from that game? Rocastle? Good player and all, and he died. everyone dies. At some point. Me personally, I never spend a moment thinking about the fact he died, same as all of you. Not even a second. Unless somebody brings it up. Then I do the thing. Except I don't. I couldn't give a flying fuck that Rocastle is dead. Same as you. Doesn't mean I have anything against him. Doesn't mean I'm a bad person. Just means I'm honest. Be honest. Sad he died, but we did that already, didn't we? How many millions have died since Rocastle? And they all meant something to somebody.

Well I mourned my own and I don't have space for somebody I never knew. Sorry. Real life and all that.

And now, back to the game. Anything relevant to add?
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, anyway, it was said 12 months ago that if we take 4 points off the leaders instead of losing 6 points, we'd win the league. We just completed taking 4 points from the Romanies and 4 points from the hub-cap nickers. So I'm predicting we'll win it because we met the criteria. Having watched what I watched, which is not all of it or even close, admittedly, I would now say the stats prove we are the best team in his league. 9 games to go to make that a fact and just because Liverpool are leading now doesn't mean all challenges have played out in full. The stats show we are clearly the best. Would be a shame to take all that good work and blow it. I'm going for a title win. The numbers add up.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was so nice to see Gabriel do a Keown impersonation. People just don't get how the past can shape the future. The way he bullied that weird ponytail bloke who, admittedly is a world class striker, was a rare event over the past decade. Xhaka brought some of that. Now we seem to have it across the team. Don't underestimate this crucial development. Damn, how long did I have to wait?
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Late to the party, but on Sunday afternoon we showed we have grown up and I was delighted that we neutered City so effectively. Arteta was pragmatic in his approach and for Gooners if not for neutral fans that was far better to see than our naive approach at the Etihad last season. That said, it speaks to the team's development that in the cold light of day I feel disappointed that our forwards - Odegard apart - were disappointing and did not match the performances of our defence.

Re the OP, our players coming back did indeed look rusty (Tomiyasu the exception?), and this was to be expected. But I actually saw some good touches from Partey amongst the bad, while I was most disappointed in Jesus who for me looked overwhelmed by the occasion. It's ironic to think that if we manage to win the league it will have been despite rather than because of him. Hopefully he can perform better in the CL.

For me we remain outsiders for the title, but its a warm feeling to have got the scariest remaining fixture out of the way without getting beaten.
    Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IBK View Post
    Late to the party, but on Sunday afternoon we showed we have grown up and I was delighted that we neutered City so effectively. Arteta was pragmatic in his approach and for Gooners if not for neutral fans that was far better to see than our naive approach at the Etihad last season. That said, it speaks to the team's development that in the cold light of day I feel disappointed that our forwards - Odegard apart - were disappointing and did not match the performances of our defence.

Re the OP, our players coming back did indeed look rusty (Tomiyasu the exception?), and this was to be expected. But I actually saw some good touches from Partey amongst the bad, while I was most disappointed in Jesus who for me looked overwhelmed by the occasion. It's ironic to think that if we manage to win the league it will have been despite rather than because of him. Hopefully he can perform better in the CL.

For me we remain outsiders for the title, but its a warm feeling to have got the scariest remaining fixture out of the way without getting beaten.
    I think it probably has to be said that Jesus is a Flop. His finishing is dire and he’s no longer doing the things he was doing when he first joined us by laying on chances for others and committing defenders. To that end it has to be said that Havertz has proven a much more fruitful signing. I don’t think either of them represent great value for money but yeah I’m not really sure what Jesus brings to the team anymore. His wages will be obscene so it will be near on impossible to get rid of him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how long is Jesus' contract though? hopefully not too much left on it - for sure though I'd play Trossard ahead of him when Martinelli can't play, assuming the same formation

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah Jesus isn’t going to be anything other than a decent footballer but unreliable for goals and let’s face it, unreliable for fitness too.

We will need him for the incoming fixture pile up but we definitely need to be in the market for a striker this summer. If we can sell him then I wouldn’t mind but by the same token I think he can still be a useful player to bring in and out. He was poor on the weekend but given that we played largely without the ball I can forgive the forwards for the non-performance.