User Tag List

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bayern Munich v Arsenal. 17th April. 20:00. CL 1/4 Final 2nd Leg.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    Also those runs you mentioned from 98 and 2002, they wouldn’t be enough now. I understand winners don’t allow for slip ups but the more games you need to win the more chances you have to slip up. Had we carried on our run against Villa, it would have meant needing 17 wins from 18 games to win the title. A type of winning run we’ve never been on in our history.
    Yet look at City compared to previous seasons. Liverpool lost out on the title despite winning 97 points, the nearest we’ve come in that time is 84 points.

If we lose one game all season and still come up short, then I’ll put my hands up and say it’s not fair.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HCZ_Reborn View Post
    Yet look at City compared to previous seasons.
    Top of the league - 3 points fewer than at this stage last season, in the FA Cup semi-final and the CL Quarter finals.
    What a bunch of losers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    Top of the league - 3 points fewer than at this stage last season, in the FA Cup semi-final and the CL Quarter finals.
    What a bunch of losers.
    In terms of points accumulation

If they get 95 points or more, fine absolutely they’ve set the bar too high

In the past twenty years only twice has a team won the title with fewer than 85 points. Since 2004 we have only reached 80 points or more on three occasions. The most we’ve accrued was 84 points

You keep making it about other teams, I don’t. Only twice in the past twenty years have we won fewer than six league games in a season.

Those are the standards, and if we are incapable of them. I suggest we give up and go home

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The thing about City though is you feel they'll just do whatever other teams do and then just go a bit better.
    Like a 10,000m runner who just keeps pace and then at the bell sprints the last lap and blows everyone away.
    Liverpool got 97 points, City got 98. Liverpool won every game in the run in so City did too.
    The only time anyone stopped them was Liverpool winning 26 of the first 27 games or something insane like that.
    To me it's a bit like chiding other runners for being rubbish when Usain Bolt was at his pomp.
    That said, obviously we should always strive to improve and maybe with Klopp gone we'll have a clearer run next season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The thing about City though is you feel they'll just do whatever other teams do and then just go a bit better.
    Like a 10,000m runner who just keeps pace and then at the bell sprints the last lap and blows everyone away.
    Liverpool got 97 points, City got 98. Liverpool won every game in the run in so City did too.
    The only time anyone stopped them was Liverpool winning 26 of the first 27 games or something insane like that.
    To me it's a bit like chiding other runners for being rubbish when Usain Bolt was at his pomp.
    That said, obviously we should always strive to improve and maybe with Klopp gone we'll have a clearer run next season.
    As I say, the issue is us not City. We consistently get 90 points a season and we are still being bested by City then we can talk.

We have to win every game from now till the end of the season just to match what we got in 01/02

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So your complaint is we're not consistently getting more points than The Invincibles.
    If that's your bar then prepare for a lifetime of disappointment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So your complaint is we're not consistently getting more points than The Invincibles.
    If that's your bar then prepare for a lifetime of disappointment.
    Well I have haven’t I

The fact is that’s been the benchmark of a title winning side for 20 years now. 85-90 points.

Do I expect us to get that every single season?. No. But the failure to get it even once since 2004…makes me kind of think what City are or are not achieving is irrelevant.

Liverpool managed to get in excess of 90 points in three seasons, only one of those did they win the league. They probably have fair reason to bemoan the City machine

We don’t

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HCZ_Reborn View Post
    Do I expect us to get that every single season?. No. But the failure to get it even once since 2004…makes me kind of think what City are or are not achieving is irrelevant.
    I mean, to be fair for much of that time we haven't been anywhere near good enough to challenge. Till a couple of seasons ago we weren't finishing top 4, let alone being anywhere near title contenders.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    anyway let's hope we win tonight eh?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac76 View Post
    anyway let's hope we win tonight eh?