User Tag List

Page 5 of 48 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Reserves, Loanees & Youngsters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by selassie View Post
    In fact I think Vela's development has stagnated...he's the one out of the list who I would be inclined to sell.
    Tis a shame because i think he has the ability to do well, looked great at the world cup, he just doesnt fit in with the way we play now, Like Eddy and Bendtner he will drift away as he was bought for one tactic and then we changed, ideally i would like to see Arsene switch back to an interchangeable 4-4-2 and have Walcott and RvP as the starting forwards with Chamakh and Vela as the second string.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirjackofwilshere View Post

Been our best u-18s player this season. Just turned 17. Will probably be used more in the reserves next season.
    Never mind this muppet, who is the little number 7??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Vela View Post
    I guess they'll all get a shot in pre-season games, hopefully one or two of them will take their chances like Wilshere and Frimpong did (he looked good in those games before getting the big injury and would have got more chances throughout the season imo). The only guys I can see coming in to the first team squad are Lansbury and Frimpong (one for Rosicky and one for Denilson). I can't see Bartley getting in, I don't know why as I'd love to see him take Squillaci's spot as 4th (or 5th if we do bring another Cb in) as he seems to have the right attitude but maybe another year on loan would be good for him.

Incidentally, this is where project youth theoretically makes it easier for guys to break in. We now have Wilshere in the first team, he's played with Frimpong for 10 years so they have an understanding and Frimpong finds it easier to come into the first team. Lansbury has played a reasonable amount of time with both of them too, meaning that he'd find it easier to come in when either or both of them are playing.
    Yep I agree with this Darth, esp the part I've highlighted. Wasn't Kieran Gibbs also in the same Youth team as Wilshere, Frimpong & Lansbury? If so..it seems Arsene is integrating some of that successful Youth team of a few years back into his first team which is actually a good thing as you pointed out. I think Bartley was in that team too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Punchinello Beezo View Post
    Tis a shame because i think he has the ability to do well, looked great at the world cup, he just doesnt fit in with the way we play now, Like Eddy and Bendtner he will drift away as he was bought for one tactic and then we changed, ideally i would like to see Arsene switch back to an interchangeable 4-4-2 and have Walcott and RvP as the starting forwards with Chamakh and Vela as the second string.
    Aye, Vela obviously has a lot of potential, his CC outings have been very impressive, it's just he's not right for us now and seems to have lost his way.

He didn't really do that well at West Brom either which makes it that much more baffling.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh yeah, forgot about Gibbs, that's what a bad injury will do to your profile!

It should at least be interesting to see if it pans out nice and smoothly, we could find a smaller gap between the understanding and synergy of the first team and one with a few more back-ups in it if goes right, I suspect it won't be quite so easy though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Punchinello Beezo View Post
    Actually, I think this system could suit him rather well if he was willing to put a little more of a shift in, he has the pace and trickery to help stretch teams as well as the instinct to get into the box and try and score, going by the games he played 18 months back ofc as he's been nothing but ineffectual the rest of the time. A change of formation doesn't make you unable to pass or shoot straight imo, he'd doing shite because he can't take his chances for whatever reason (laziness/arrogance/lack of confidence), he's one of the guys that needs a run in the team but can't be given it as he offers nothing whilst he's getting up to speed, which is a shame.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Vela View Post
    he's one of the guys that needs a run in the team but can't be given it as he offers nothing whilst he's getting up to speed, which is a shame.
    Therein lies the problem. Vela (and other fringe players) need some time to get used to the team in a game situation in order to show what they can do. Unfortunately, they are never given (or take) the opportunity.
    While all answers are responses, not all responses are answers.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thomas Cruise has been freed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toronto Gooner View Post
    Therein lies the problem. Vela (and other fringe players) need some time to get used to the team in a game situation in order to show what they can do. Unfortunately, they are never given (or take) the opportunity .
    Take the opportunity, Wilshere & Chesney have proven if you are good enough you stay in the team. It's about time Arsene became a little more ruthless with his projects, I sincerely hope the days of using the first team as a nursery are well and truly over.
    Last edited by selassie; 31-05-2011 at 08:40 PM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tbf Chesneys in the team by default not cos hes brilliant.

Hes in the team cos hes the best of the shite we have.

Ideally we'd get a new keeper in this summer and have Chesney as back up