User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: City's Owners

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters (TPFKA WWTL@WHL) View Post
    It makes me LOL when people say City are showing ambition.
    It's not 'ambitious' to spend half a billion to try and buy success. Doing things the hard way is ambitious (maybe even impossible in the modern football world).

As good as posts get tbh.

Every time someone calls big-spenders 'ambitious' it shows how wrong the world is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    City's owners are great for them.

Obviously terrible for everyone else but it must be amazing to be a City fan right now.

Their owners are putting billions of their own money into the club (if you can call it their own money).

Our English owners put fuck all of their own money in and instead have made hundreds of millions out of selling their AFC shares. Our new owner again puts no money of his own into the club and will inevitably start taking money out "well you're not going to spend it are you Arsene, it's pointless just sitting there".

Who are the better owners?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grebbo View Post
    Obviously terrible for everyone else but it must be amazing to be a City fan right now.
    Unless you have a modicum of intelligence.
    So yeah, I guess most of their fans are enjoying it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unless you have a modicum of intelligence.
    So yeah, I guess most of their fans are enjoying it.
    Why would you have to be dumb to be enjoying it?

What is the worst that can happen?

Abu Dhabi go broke - not likely within the next 100 yrs.

City win everything every year and it becomes boring - Possibility but when has winning become boring? Manure fans aren't bored.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is the worst that can happen?

Abu Dhabi go broke - not likely within the next 100 yrs.

City win everything every year and it becomes boring - Possibility but when has winning become boring? Manure fans aren't bored.
    Pretty much.

It's easy to say 'oh they're ruining football' and 'if the same happened to Arsenal I'd stop watching footy' but no one on here's ever had that choice.

Fans that haven't had a taste of success in 50 years experiencing what Citeh fans are won't look at how 'manufactured' their success is but bask in the glory of finally being able to compete with the big boys.

People said that Abromovich would fuck off at some point but that hasn't happened, Chelsea are also seen as a top club these guys by both players, the media and sponsorship companies.

Ironically I think the only thing that will solve this problem of more and more clubs being bought out and increasing their spending so that we'll have wages of 1M per week eventually is a well regulated European Super League, despite all the dislike it gets on here. We all know FFP won't change much.

The sport needs something like American sports have, a season where all teams have the same transfer budget and same wage budget, then we'll actually get to see who the best managers / players are. There was a point in the modern game where garbage like Wayne Bridge was picking up more per week than Fabregas and Van Persie which is silly.

The King Is Back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think City's owners are rightly hated for two reasons, one moral and the other a football reason.

The moral angle is obvious. Oil, Middle East, USA - the dead bodies are piled sky high on the back of that association, once you do your reading beyond the BBC and BP's press office. But not many people look in that direction, especially the FA with the ludicrous "fit and proper" test.

In football terms I suppose the thing that I dislike most about them is their ignorance. Their ignorance of the game, its history and traditions but even more their ignorance of the damage they are doing to it. That's because when you drench a sand rat in cash he'll make a chav look cultured. Oh yes, they have their Oxford education, much like a whore dresses nice so the neighbours won't talk. Is that racist? If so, I don't really care. I know I'm not a racist and that's good enough for me. So even if I call a rat in a suit a rat in a suit and even if people take offence at that, don't bother to talk to me about it because my interest in the issue will have longed waned by the time you get the first word out.

City are the lottery winning gypos who have chosen your street to live in - caravans and all. The socially sterile city banker who has the biggest car in the street but lacks the manners not to park it in your space. We all have to live together in the football world or else the competition ceases to be all that it could be and the entertainment suffers as a result. If things go on then eventually Chelsea, City, Real Madrid and probably some obscure Russian team manned round the clock by scrubbers trying to get the blood off the changing room floors - that will be all there is. And the City fans can sit there and sing, "We are top of the fucked up league", but I think they'll probably look back instead and yearn for a cold English winter, pies on the terraces and a must win clash with the bitter rivals from up the road.

These "gentlemen" from the Middle East can't ever buy the history, that's safely locked away beyond their reach and it's still something we can tell our kids, "I was there before the arabs came, when Thierry Henry and Dennis Berkgamp and Tony Adams and the rest of the Invincibles were showing the world how the game should be played." Try buying that - you can't for any amount of money. You need class to produce that, a thing City will never, ever have.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    I think City's owners are rightly hated for two reasons, one moral and the other a football reason.

The moral angle is obvious. Oil, Middle East, USA - the dead bodies are piled sky high on the back of that association, once you do your reading beyond the BBC and BP's press office. But not many people look in that direction, especially the FA with the ludicrous "fit and proper" test.

In football terms I suppose the thing that I dislike most about them is their ignorance. Their ignorance of the game, its history and traditions but even more their ignorance of the damage they are doing to it. That's because when you drench a sand rat in cash he'll make a chav look cultured. Oh yes, they have their Oxford education, much like a whore dresses nice so the neighbours won't talk. Is that racist? If so, I don't really care. I know I'm not a racist and that's good enough for me. So even if I call a rat in a suit a rat in a suit and even if people take offence at that, don't bother to talk to me about it because my interest in the issue will have longed waned by the time you get the first word out.

City are the lottery winning gypos who have chosen your street to live in - caravans and all. The socially sterile city banker who has the biggest car in the street but lacks the manners not to park it in your space. We all have to live together in the football world or else the competition ceases to be all that it could be and the entertainment suffers as a result. If things go on then eventually Chelsea, City, Real Madrid and probably some obscure Russian team manned round the clock by scrubbers trying to get the blood off the changing room floors - that will be all there is. And the City fans can sit there and sing, "We are top of the fucked up league", but I think they'll probably look back instead and yearn for a cold English winter, pies on the terraces and a must win clash with the bitter rivals from up the road.

These "gentlemen" from the Middle East can't ever buy the history, that's safely locked away beyond their reach and it's still something we can tell our kids, "I was there before the arabs came, when Thierry Henry and Dennis Berkgamp and Tony Adams and the rest of the Invincibles were showing the world how the game should be played." Try buying that - you can't for any amount of money. You need class to produce that, a thing City will never, ever have.
    Most nations have a very murky history.

England has fucked many people in it's history.

I don't see them being Middle Eastern being an issue. I see their wealth ruining the game being an issue but not the fact that it's oil money.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most nations have a very murky history.

England has fucked many people in it's history.

I don't see them being Middle Eastern being an issue. I see their wealth ruining the game being an issue but not the fact that it's oil money.
    That's why I chucked in reason #1. We reap what we sow. But you have to go down many rabbit holes to get to the genuine culprits, if there's even an end to it. It's safe to say that whatever the nationality or culture, there's some thug in charge fucking over the majority. You can go all the way back into history to find the pattern repeating but it's probably more useful to deal with injustice in your own age than try to correct something from history that can't be corrected. Convenient I'm sure but practically impossible to avoid. I don't see them being Middle Eastern as a problem either. I see them as being thugs who exploit the Middle east as the real problem. And now they are here to exploit the game we grew up with. But by all means, if you can find their western bedfellows so you can stick two fingers up at them too then go for it. Just make sure you don't vote for them on election day though.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because any trophies they win are meaningless. We all know how they got there, any of their more discerning fans would know too.
    Maybe it doesn't bother them, maybe they don't care how they achieve success. It would bother me.

As for Utd fans not getting bored of success, they've not swept the board every year and they have at least done it the 'right' way in that although they've spent big it is at least money they've earned through previous success. I've been told to retire my 'buying a degree off the internet' analogy so I will but I think most people can see the difference between achiving success through hard work and having it handed to you on a plate. The former is far more satisfying.

If you're a Simpsons fan think the Stonecutters episode where they keep letting Homer win at everything...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because any trophies they win are meaningless. We all know how they got there, any of their more discerning fans would know too.
    Maybe it doesn't bother them, maybe they don't care how they achieve success. It would bother me.

As for Utd fans not getting bored of success, they've not swept the board every year and they have at least done it the 'right' way in that although they've spent big it is at least money they've earned through previous success. I've been told to retire my 'buying a degree off the internet' analogy so I will but I think most people can see the difference between achiving success through hard work and having it handed to you on a plate. The former is far more satisfying.

If you're a Simpsons fan think the Stonecutters episode where they keep letting Homer win at everything...
    Didn't see that episode. Is Homer bright enough in the end to figure out the truth, or does he just act the ungracious pratt and lord it over the competition? If it's the latter then in Homer's mind he really did win and the trophies are very meaningful to him.
    Für eure Sicherheit