User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Asharvin: Why is he not shinning?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsMe View Post
    Hard to tell, but Wenger never plays players in their right positions which doesn't help.

One of our most gifted players but Wenger can't get the best out of him it seems.
    That's been said about Bendtner also- re: playing out of position. Makes sense if the players have done everything they can, but look better in the original position.How would one explain showing poor touch, form, passing and in the case of Arshavin looking slower than he was, on playing on the wings as opposed to playing him behind the striker. It is definitely the attitude may be induced from being played out of position. Would love to avoid players of that sort

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He was playing on the wing in a 4-4-2 when he arrived here. Now he's playing on the wing in a 4-3-3. If anything, he should be more effective now.

You can perhaps blame Wenger for not motivating him enough to give 100%, but you can't blame Wenger for his worse-than-Bendtner first touch, his running into players, his pathetic inability to make one-yard passes and his new found ability to mess up an assist when you have half the pitch glaring at you.

The maddening thing is that he will still make the odd killer pass or dribble that will lead to a clear chance. It is ridiculous that he can pull this out when most of the time he's struggling with the basics that even a one-legged cripple would find simple.

And no, he should never play centrally; he'd be an absolute liability there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Arshavin, as people have pointed out, isn't playing in the correct position. He isn't being utilised to his fullest, and that's the reason he isn't shining.

Many of our players were bought as out-and-out strikers only to try and become wing players. Arshavin, Walcott, Vela, Gervinho and even Bentdner when he's called upon as a sub. These players are criticised when they don't pull their weight but Wenger isn't entirely blameless in all this. How on earth do you expect a player like Arshavin to to beat his man and whip a cross in a la Overmars, Henry and Ljungberg when pace clearly isn't the Russian's strong point? I've been saying for a couple of weeks now that the lack of pace in this squad now is shocking and it will be telling today, too.

With Arshavin in particular, it's a real shame. I said at the time that we didn't need him (in January 09) but he was billed to be this "marquis" signing. The one player who would be enough to express Wenger's intent. The player that would be enough to keep the likes of Fabregas, Nasri and RvP at the club. Maybe he did, who knows? Maybe he delayed the departure of Nasri and Fabregas, it's hard to say.

If, however, Arshavin is played as a striker, I can't help but think he'd fail miserably in the Premiership. People are saying play him in a Bergkamp role, but even that's difficult. He doesn't have the Dutchman's height in order to bring the ball down, he doesn't have anywhere near the same ball control or passing ability and, more often than not, he won't have anyone in front of him to play through balls into.

When all is said and done, though, I quite like the idea of having Arshavin at the club. There is an uncanny "wow" factor he brings to any line-up and we still think he's capable of another well overdue performance like at Anfield.
    Formerly TMOKJ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Darth Vela's right in that some of the basic errors that Arshavin's been making (crap first touch, poor passing etc) can't simply be down to being played out of position. I agree that he's not as effective out wide as he would be in a central position, but that's no excuse for getting the basics wrong as he so often does these days. Sure, Bergkamp would have been much less effective playing wide, but he would still be able to make 5 yard passes, and be able to control the football.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernesto View Post

With Arshavin in particular, it's a real shame. I said at the time that we didn't need him (in January 09) but he was billed to be this "marquis" signing. The one player who would be enough to express Wenger's intent.
    I would say he played a very large part in getting us back into the CL in those last few months of that season, we were struggling at the time tbh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good player but lazy, unmotivated and homesick.

Shame but there it is sould have moved him on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FakeYank View Post
    Wenger
    Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Darth Vela's right in that some of the basic errors that Arshavin's been making (crap first touch, poor passing etc) can't simply be down to being played out of position. I agree that he's not as effective out wide as he would be in a central position, but that's no excuse for getting the basics wrong as he so often does these days. Sure, Bergkamp would have been much less effective playing wide, but he would still be able to make 5 yard passes, and be able to control the football.
    He may be low on confidence. When your confidence goes, the basics go out the window as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Combination of all of the above for me:

1. He's lost confidence, motivation and pace.
    2. He's been played out of position.
    3. He eats too many fecking pies.

Will score today though. Guarantee it.

New Signing
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pop him in the middle, tell him he is now the main guy at afc, and he will shine. Simples. One of the best attackers at Arsenal and when on form hes on of the best in the league. Even if hes lost a yard of pace its fine, he doesnt need to beat anyone like on the wings, just direct the play and he's good enough to contribute with a lot of assists and goals.