User Tag List

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: What do our transfers tell us about our club/manager?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    Interesting note in the Daily Mail, apparently Wenger spent the whole of yesterday in Switzerland at a coaches' conference. Does this tell us what we need to know about who's calling the shots in the transfer market? Surely if his decisions were critical in this area he'd need to be on-hand on deadline day? Being on the phone is one thing but not comparable to direct involvement. Or had he already worked the targets out by Wednesday morning? If so, it didn't look that way and they cut things a little fine. It's odd he wasn't around yesterday.
    He only needed to be a phone call away though tbh, i think he was aware of deals, how nuch he played a part in the signings is the question. Ones things for sure these were not his targets in May.

We all know he wanted, Cahill, Hazard, Benzema and A DCM/CM and maybe a keeper.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by selassie View Post
    I prefer a bit more meat on my women but she's hot!

Anyways back on topic, I think the transfers tell us that Wenger panicked and ended up making do with players he obviously likes but not his primary targets.

If Wenger would have been prepared to pay up we probably would have purchased Jagielka, Mata & M'Vila in addition to Gervinho & the young projects like Oxo & Jenkinson.

I personally don't think Wenger has changed that much, yes he's gone for experience, but it remains to be seen to whether they are super quality.

I'm relieved at the current state of the squad but certainly not satisfied. The squad was in really bad shape this time last week.
    Pretty much. I think we need to remember that we have lost one of the best MF's in the world, and one of the best technical players in the country when assessing our transfer business. There is a feeling that penny pinching was paramount even in our time of greatest need - and that is what leads to the dissatisfaction.
    Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    Interesting note in the Daily Mail, apparently Wenger spent the whole of yesterday in Switzerland at a coaches' conference. Does this tell us what we need to know about who's calling the shots in the transfer market? Surely if his decisions were critical in this area he'd need to be on-hand on deadline day? Being on the phone is one thing but not comparable to direct involvement. Or had he already worked the targets out by Wednesday morning? If so, it didn't look that way and they cut things a little fine. It's odd he wasn't around yesterday.
    Could be the case. There might have been a fall out after the massacre and he went off to Switzerland in a strop. Or they told him to hit the road, take a break and they'll handle the transfers. Wenger was very vocal about not being able to find the right 'quality' players and the one thing Gazidis did say during that ATM meeting was that the there has be dialogue between the manager and staff when it comes to transfers, so this seems strange. Maybe during the summer, both parties just kept on butting heads which lead to this long drawn out summer. You've seen the Nasri interviews where he said he wanted to leave from the start of the summer and made that clear, but Wenger wanted to keep him and it's why it was such a long drawn out process.

I also think he didn't wanted to sign a CB because of the praise he heaped onto the defence after our first clean sheet and we've known about Mertesaker for ages. He's no secret and I suspect the same with the other players. Our scouts must have been watching them, they're not the type of players that would cripple the club financially. So why take so long? Must be the deadline day strategy. Players and clubs get desperate and make quick decisions. Or Wenger just didn't want to sign those type of players. Time will tell.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Power_n_Glory View Post
    Could be the case. There might have been a fall out after the massacre and he went off to Switzerland in a strop. Or they told him to hit the road, take a break and they'll handle the transfers. Wenger was very vocal about not being able to find the right 'quality' players and the one thing Gazidis did say during that ATM meeting was that the there has be dialogue between the manager and staff when it comes to transfers, so this seems strange. Maybe during the summer, both parties just kept on butting heads which lead to this long drawn out summer. You've seen the Nasri interviews where he said he wanted to leave from the start of the summer and made that clear, but Wenger wanted to keep him and it's why it was such a long drawn out process.

I also think he didn't wanted to sign a CB because of the praise he heaped onto the defence after our first clean sheet and we've known about Mertesaker for ages. He's no secret and I suspect the same with the other players. Our scouts must have been watching them, they're not the type of players that would cripple the club financially. So why take so long? Must be the deadline day strategy. Players and clubs get desperate and make quick decisions. Or Wenger just didn't want to sign those type of players. Time will tell.
    IMO, this transfer window has nothing to do with AW. If he had his way, he'd still be fielding the same XI that got hammered by Utd. I dont blame the board because for me the buck stops with the manager. After the very humiliating YET very important defeat to Utd, the board got the players themselves while our manager was in Switzerland nursing his bruised ego.

He is a gangrene to the club now.. sooner we cut him off, the better..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FakeYank View Post
    IMO, this transfer window has nothing to do with AW. If he had his way, he'd still be fielding the same XI that got hammered by Utd. I dont blame the board because for me the buck stops with the manager. After the very humiliating YET very important defeat to Utd, the board got the players themselves while our manager was in Switzerland nursing his bruised ego.