User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What do our transfers tell us about our club/manager?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What do our transfers tell us about our club/manager?

Lets start with the positives - firstly, as slightly underwhelming as our last minute purchases are, I am happy that at least there will be some interest and (dare I say it), even a change in the way we play this season, with so many new faces. And I would like to think that these new signings will refresh and re-animate our existing players who had clearly lost a lot of faith.

Secondly - I think our signings represent a long overdue slice of humble pie for Monsieur Wenger, and I think that we owe Manure some gratitude for the reality check that everyone but the manager had seen for months before last weekend.

But for me there are some worrying aspects of the transfer window too. Wenger is famed for his meticulous planning and attention to detail. Yet we were left with an unedifying last minute scramble which patently resulted in us not signing some of our first choices. Wenger's obvious failure to plan for the departures of Fabregas and Nasri seems at best a massive error of judgment as to both players' desire to leave the club, and at worst simply inept. While I have tended in the past to support the club over David Dein, the Summer lends weight to the theory that in a similar way to Brian Clough and Peter Taylor - Dein was an intrinsic component of AW's success.

Also, I wonder whether Wenger's underlying philosophy has really changed. There is no doubt in my mind that the true Wenger signing of the Summer was Oxlade-Chamberlain - and it is telling that he cost £2M more than Arteta - who is in football terms many times more important than the teenager. The fact that AW is up to his old tricks here despite the humiliating evidence that the money he spent (in transfer fees but mostly wages) on the likes of Bendtner; Denilson; Vela has been wasted (clearly noone else being prepared to meet Arsenal's valuations).

The reported underbidding for the likes of Jagielka, Cahill and M'Villa despite the cash at his disposal has all the hallmarks of Wenger's stubborn principles - and makes me wonder how much our signings (injury-prone MF's; unknown quantities at LB and up front) were driven by perceived value for money and how much by their true value football-wise.

On the playing side - you do have to wonder how our last minute signings can form part of a coherent vision for the team. Does AW really have a plan or has he just panicked - once it became clear that he was close to losing the dressing room?

Lastly - and here one does have to look at the ££ left over from the kitty available before July; the Cesc and Na$ri and CL money - was there ever any serious desire to replace our 2 departed 'world class' players with equal quality? And would we even have done the business we have without last weekend's wake up call? It is difficult for me to escape the impression that both board and manager were content to 'wing it' - and even more difficult for me to believe that even the signings we have made are intended to do anything other than try to keep us in the top 4. We have had previous evidence (Arshavin being the best example) that the club will only take positive action when the CL place is under threat. Here we have the same thing happening - and to my mind, the purchases we have made are 'top four' purchases, not title winning ones. And to me that remains the mentality of our majority shareholder; board and manager.

So while I welcome the new faces, and welcome even more having the lift of at least having some cause for optimism on the pitch, I remain concerned that realistically we remain bereft of the star quality that is needed to push for long-awaited silverware.

Thoughts?
    Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If these signing were made 4 weeks ago i think everyone would have been overjoyed, Wenger seems to have actually noted we need size, defensive ability, aggression and leadership. That is what we got.

The timing always gives the downers a chance to say we were panic buying or that the ass fucking at Sold Trafford meant we had to act or lose fans

It starts here for me, interested to see what our starting line will be when everyone is fit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All down to money.

We didn't want to blow shitloads.

Last day of the transfer window was ideal opportunity to drive prices down for players that wanted out of their clubs to come to us. Arteta is a case in point.

Shambles it may seem (and it is when you consider the results so far), but this was kinda planned, and on a wing. We've come out with a healthy cashposition again. Cunts.
    It's better to burn out, than to fade away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LDG View Post
    All down to money.

Last day of the transfer window was ideal opportunity to drive prices down for players that wanted out of their clubs to come to us. Arteta is a case in point.

Shambles it may seem (and it is when you consider the results so far), but this was kinda planned, and on a wing. We've come out with a healthy cashposition again. Cunts.
    Pretty much.

The transfers are a result of us panic buying.

Wenger hasn't learned anything.

The King Is Back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Flavs View Post
    If these signing were made 4 weeks ago i think everyone would have been overjoyed, Wenger seems to have actually noted we need size, defensive ability, aggression and leadership. That is what we got.

The timing always gives the downers a chance to say we were panic buying or that the ass fucking at Sold Trafford meant we had to act or lose fans

It starts here for me, interested to see what our starting line will be when everyone is fit
    A fair point re timing, that I think might apply if we hadn't fairly transparently ended up securing players who were not our first choice targets. But the timing unavoidably suggests that all is not as it should be in terms of our negotiating team. The business done by our main rivals much earlier in the transfer window speaks volumes to me in terms of confidence, ambition and joined-up thinking. Arsenal's close season has been a shambles by comparison.

As for the qualities we have bought - I'm with you on leadership and Mertesacker's size - and I am particularly interested to see how and whether the former will transform the undoubted talent that we have already into a far more resiliant outfit. Neither would I describe myself as a 'downer' - despite losing it a bit (like everyone else) when it seemed that we were going to be left way short.

I think fans would have been happier, for sure, had we secured our new players 4 weeks ago. But I think that 'overjoyed' is pushing it - given that we would still have lost Fabregas and Nasri - and I feel that Wenger has been pushed, rather than embracing the need for significant change.

Still better late than never - and I look more forward to attending the Swansea game than I have for 6 months!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very unWenger like signings. It does suggest panic buying particularly after what happened last Sunday. It's unheard of to buy this many players in 24 hours. It's a shame it's taken a shocking start to the season for the club to realise what every man and his dog already knew about how poor the squad was.

Anyway, slate wiped clean for the time being, let's see what these guys can do!
    Last edited by Marc Overmars; 01-09-2011 at 09:46 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LDG View Post
    All down to money.

This kind of brinkmanship - over players who are below that calibre of those we have lost - shows a willingness to gamble on the success of the team on the pitch - which worries me.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Happy with Mertesacker. Just hope we don't play a high line and instead use him as Germany do where he is quality.Looking forward to seeing Santos play as well.The rest? Meh. Typical Wenger signings. Won't take us up another level but might take us down one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ice Berg Kamping View Post
    This kind of brinkmanship - over players who are below that calibre of those we have lost - shows a willingness to gamble on the success of the team on the pitch - which worries me.
    Exactly. I think this was planned in a way, in the sense that we were always waiting until deadline day to make some signings, to drive the price down and get players for what Wenger perceives to be their true worth. Wenger is an extremely stubborn man, and if a player's value does not match his own valuation, he will NOT spend a penny more for the player. Most managers are sometimes willing to bite the bullet and pay more than what they think a player is worth, because the benefits of having a top quality player in who will improve the side outweigh the costs of overspending.

Like you said yesterday, I'd like it if for once we put footballing considerations above economic considerations when signing players.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well quite.

That Park lad. We get two years for 3mil
    Arteta. 10 Mil for Prem experience (quite cheap)
    AOC 12mil - Big bucks, but Wenger sees this long term and worth it.

It all stinks to high heaven. I'm relatively happy with the business done, but it reeks of money, not of furthering the team.
    It's better to burn out, than to fade away.