User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Some brilliant articles on Wenger/money stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don't even understand how or why Everton are were they are.

And I didn't say we we're broke. I'm saying we have no reason to be performing better than we are, and if Wenger was a complete donkey in every aspect, we'd be relegated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Power_n_Glory View Post
    I don't believe that Everton comparison for a second. Without the stadium we were a well run club without debt. We'd never allow that to happen and maybe without the stadium, we'd have shown more ambition in the transfer market. So far, we've been cautious and this is the only season where we've spent a lot of money. Unless we took out a loan to buy those players, I don't see how anyone can keep saying 'we're broke'.
    Partially true.. we spent ~45 mill quid this summer while we got ~70 mill in. We reduced our wage bill by offloading high earners like Cesc, Nasri and Clichy. We also offloaded Bendy and Eboue. In general, we made a net positive in transfers and also wages.. same as the last 6 seasons!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AKBapologist View Post
    You don't even understand how or why Everton are were they are.

And I didn't say we we're broke. I'm saying we have no reason to be performing better than we are, and if Wenger was a complete donkey in every aspect, we'd be relegated.
    Why is there no reason to be performing better than how we are? Just a couple of experienced players at the business end of last season or the season before or in 07/08 season would have seen us win something. No GK signed when there was a clear need of one, no defenders signed when we needed one, no experienced players signed when it was clear as daylight we needed experienced heads in the dressing room, no defensive coaching etc etc... and you say we have no reason to be performing better?!?! All these things dont need a man city or chelsea type of signing i.e. >25 million..

Sometimes I think you dont know what you are talking about? Is the need to be different than most more important than being rationale?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Care to explain why they're in that position? And why Arsenal could have ended up like them?

And nobody has suggested anyone can come in to do Wenger's job and yes, we should be performing better than what we are because our team wasn't that bad. You don't play Man U and Chelsea every game of the season and we should have at least won a domestic cup by now.

If we'd have stayed at Highbury, I can't imagine things being much different. We'd have probably slowly dropped down the table while Chelsea and Man U duke it out, but there has never been a team below us that has been hot on our heels each season threatening to knock us out of 4th spot. None of them can sustain the challenge. Until there glare 5 genuine title contenders, then 4th spot is a real battle. Competition is hot for is now because City and Liverpool have stepped up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I couldn't read, or couldn't be arsed to read any of the articles.

Do they take into account wages when looking at our spend?

If not then it's pointless.

Finding 'gems' such as Bendtner for tuppence is countered by paying him £55,000 per week on long term contract - especially when no-one else would be paying him half that, even Manure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wage inflation and failure to win anything or get into the champions league has meant that Everton spend more just to stand still every season, they take loans to finance player purchases so unless they win stuff, they regularly have to sell. There a well run club and compared to Liverpool who would have gone into administration last season spending shit loads to no effect (before king kenny) - if things had stayed the same (IE, united were the top dog and no billionare owners existed) they would have been very competitive.

The fundamental difference is that we won stuff, trebled our fan base, and moved to a bigger stadium. Right now, debts included, assuming we fill the stadium every match we're way better off than we would have been under GG. Instead of it being a two horse race, 4-5 teams are spending loads of money to achieve what we do. You think it's bad with AW? Imagine if Harry Redknapp was our manager...

So which is it... IS AW only 2% away from being the best manager in the league (reality) or is he a bumbling fool no longer capable of tying his own shoe laces? (Zimmlogic) because at least if you call for AW's head, qualify that by saying "and to be replaced by world Class management." Anything less would just be transparent petulant delusion.
    Last edited by AKBapologist; 03-09-2011 at 06:40 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's far from being the best manager in the league because managers with less money at their disposal and less talented players in their roster are able to out think him tactically and stop our players from performing. That is why people don't rate him that much. Managing finaces is one thing but when we're talking tactics, organising a team and making key decisions that can change a game, he's lacking.

Everyone calling for Wenger to go wants a world class manager to come in. We all want better the club. But when discussing Wenger's tactics, you see odd decisions that most average managers wouldn't make but nobody believes an average manager can come in and sort out this team.

Also, how much has wage inflation effected Arsenal? We have this wage structure right? Doesn't that stop things from getting out of hand and aren't we paying around the same amount we paid during the Invincible years?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best manager in the league after 2 wins in 14 games?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AKBapologist View Post
    I can't (and didn't) defend AW against the results, this summer or the failure to win something over the last 6 years. But there is this really repugnant idea that any donkey from any other team could do better. As if Arsenal has some god given natural advantage beyond the manager, over the other clubs that makes us perform higher than we should. If we never moved to highbury, we'd be closer to everton right now in terms of aspirations, with wages completely out stripping footballing revenue. Having to sell to pay debts and getting regularly thrashed on the opening days of the season... (oh).

For all of the Owen Coyles, David Moyes, Martin O'Neils and other average names touted to replace AW (because clearly, there records speak for themselves right?) I could just as easily cherry pick shocking performances from their sides, evidence of poor coaching or general miss-management. What really stinks is that the same people who tout these names are the same who accuse everyone else of having low aspirations - as if the only problem with Arsenal is the manager, and there aren't worse ways to completely ruin a club. Pathetic.
    spot on.

even if hes run his race they better think long and hard before appointing a replacement, or else we are fooked. that means no plums like o'neill.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FakeYank View Post
    Why is there no reason to be performing better than how we are? Just a couple of experienced players at the business end of last season or the season before or in 07/08 season would have seen us win something. No GK signed when there was a clear need of one, no defenders signed when we needed one, no experienced players signed when it was clear as daylight we needed experienced heads in the dressing room, no defensive coaching etc etc... and you say we have no reason to be performing better?!?! All these things dont need a man city or chelsea type of signing i.e. >25 million..

Sometimes I think you dont know what you are talking about? Is the need to be different than most more important than being rationale?
    yes and wenger built that 07/08 squad that was 2 players short. you think fookin bruce arena could build a squad like that?