Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Some brilliant articles on Wenger/money stuff

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whats he got to do with it?

He manages a lower club. The expectations are different there.

I dont want Redknapp here anyway

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ach View Post
    Whats he got to do with it?

He manages a lower club. The expectations are different there.

I dont want Redknapp here anyway
    Why not? He's clearly better than Wenger because he's never lost 8-2 or gone 6 years without a trophy, he also knows how to spend shead loads of money.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AKBapologist View Post
    Huh? What questions? That AW is tactically inept? Because of 5-6 results out of 700 games during his Arsenal career or 60 games last season?

All i'm seeing is a few individuals cherry picking, or letting a single trend that fits perfectly with your bias dominate an argument. Even I wouldn't be sad to see the back of wenger, but I always qualify that by saying "if one of the top managers in the world came in" because the reality is that AW on the pitch and off it, is much better than people give him credit for. Yes, lets sack wenger and get a steve kean and a rafa benitez because they never lost 8-2.
    You've got to be shitting me mate! 5-6 games?! How about 5-6 seasons? All those questions I posted were not a one off.. the rot set in since 2007 and I lost patience in him after the 09 season where A.Villas collapse led us to getting 4th.

And why do you keep harping about shit managers like Benitez, Redknapp, steve kean? Who on here said that we need them? You are just bringing their names in to make it seem like there are no good managers out there! Really?! What about Ancelotti, Van Gaal, Riijkaard, Billic for starters? I am open to a complete unknown as well..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wenger sitting there doing nothing as the squad he assembled got taken apart in the biggest humiliation ever inflicted on a EPL team pretty much ended all pretence regarding his tactical capabilities, or at least his willingness to admit his ideas are not always valid in every circumstance. If we were eight players light (which is an exaggeration given the quality of some of the "stars" we have missing, e.g. Diaby) he should have at least put what we had behind the ball and tried to keep the scoreline semi-respectable. Instead he played the mad general sending his kids over the top and into a hail of bullets. We wait to see if the consequences of such stubbornness or naivety will have a longer term effect on players like Coquelin and Jenkinson who he threw to the wolves in order to preserve his inappropriate demand for how football should be played regardless of the opposition.

I don't think many defend his tactical record over the last few seasons. We can argue about who is most responsible for leaving the squad short of quality but it's not the board's fault Wenger doesn't pay due respect to the opposition by incorporating them into his game plan accordingly. I believe most managers would handle on pitch matters more effectively than Wenger, and that includes your Redknapps, Keans and O'Neils - average managers but far more realistic than Wenger it seems. Whether they could manage the other aspects that Wenger is responsible for is another matter and highly doubtful.

That's our problem. Wenger is so interwoven into the fabric of the club it's hard to imagine anyone standing in his place. But it's really not too difficult to imagine another manager handling things better on the pitch and the training ground.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FakeYank View Post
    You've got to be shitting me mate! 5-6 games?! How about 5-6 seasons? All those questions I posted were not a one off.. the rot set in since 2007 and I lost patience in him after the 09 season where A.Villas collapse led us to getting 4th.

And why do you keep harping about shit managers like Benitez, Redknapp, steve kean? Who on here said that we need them? You are just bringing their names in to make it seem like there are no good managers out there! Really?! What about Ancelotti, Van Gaal, Riijkaard, Billic for starters? I am open to a complete unknown as well..
    bilic is shyt and van gaal is washed up

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    Wenger sitting there doing nothing as the squad he assembled got taken apart in the biggest humiliation ever inflicted on a EPL team pretty much ended all pretence regarding his tactical capabilities, or at least his willingness to admit his ideas are not always valid in every circumstance. If we were eight players light (which is an exaggeration given the quality of some of the "stars" we have missing, e.g. Diaby) he should have at least put what we had behind the ball and tried to keep the scoreline semi-respectable. Instead he played the mad general sending his kids over the top and into a hail of bullets. We wait to see if the consequences of such stubbornness or naivety will have a longer term effect on players like Coquelin and Jenkinson who he threw to the wolves in order to preserve his inappropriate demand for how football should be played regardless of the opposition.

I don't think many defend his tactical record over the last few seasons. We can argue about who is most responsible for leaving the squad short of quality but it's not the board's fault Wenger doesn't pay due respect to the opposition by incorporating them into his game plan accordingly. I believe most managers would handle on pitch matters more effectively than Wenger, and that includes your Redknapps, Keans and O'Neils - average managers but far more realistic than Wenger it seems. Whether they could manage the other aspects that Wenger is responsible for is another matter and highly doubtful.

That's our problem. Wenger is so interwoven into the fabric of the club it's hard to imagine anyone standing in his place. But it's really not too difficult to imagine another manager handling things better on the pitch and the training ground.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post

He doesn't adapt his tactics often enough, I agree. He relies on having intelligent players who know how to adapt things to any situation on the pitch, which is fine when they're experienced and talented, in fact as we saw it leads to a team being practically unbeatable but this is one the reasons why the youth project didn't work out as well as hoped, we lost too many experienced players too quickly and without the tactical nous of Mourinho, Wenger is exposed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Vela View Post
    He doesn't adapt his tactics often enough, I agree. He relies on having intelligent players who know how to adapt things to any situation on the pitch, which is fine when they're experienced and talented, in fact as we saw it leads to a team being practically unbeatable but this is one the reasons why the youth project didn't work out as well as hoped, we lost too many experienced players too quickly and without the tactical nous of Mourinho, Wenger is exposed.
    Haven't we lamented the apparent lack of intelligence in our squad over the last few seasons? Diaby, Song, Walcott, Denilson, Rosicky, our God awful defenders (TV excluded), our terrible goalkeepers until Chesney came along. Na$ri failing to step up, Chamakh going into hiding. Clueless Nick and our Russian who even though they were played out of position couldn't adapt and turn a bad situation into something useful. This is why Fabregas always made the difference, suddenly there was a brain in the team. This is why TV makes the difference for players like Jenkinson today, there's a brain at work. This is why I feel sorry for Chesney who also seems to have a brain but can't deploy it given the shit in front of him. And this is why Mertesacker is a big hope, surely he went to football school if he's managed so many caps for the Germans?

If this is what Wenger has been relying on as a stand-in for his own managerial responsibilities then no wonder.
    Für eure Sicherheit