User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Timing of the vermaelen/wilshere injury annoucements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Timing of the vermaelen/wilshere injury annoucements

Anyone else reckon the club knew about the wilshere/vermaelen injuries a while ago but annouced them just after the new signings as it was a good day to bury bad news?There were reports going round that wilshere was long term but didn't know about vermaelen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's very Synical.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And almost certainly true, Wenger said as much today that they've known Vermaelen and Wilshere would be reasonably long-term a few weeks back so it's only a short leap to the timing of the announcement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Arsenal - cynical?
    Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syn View Post
    Anyone else reckon the club knew about the wilshere/vermaelen injuries a while ago but annouced them just after the new signings as it was a good day to bury bad news?There were reports going round that wilshere was long term but didn't know about vermaelen.
    I think the plan was to bring in one more CB if the price was right and that would have been that. But the humiliation at Old Trafford, the increase in ticket prices, the departure of our star players, these injuries and the slowly building rumblings from the fans finally forced them to spend some money. Unfortunately they wouldn't spend what was required to bring in top quality, that is still a step too far for the miserly bastards. So yeah, the mad dash was certainly used to drag attention away from a lot of negatives. We know the story from here though. Arteta and Yossi Fucking Benayoun probably won't get much game time due to injury and old age, then it's take your pick from Santos, Mertesacker and Young for another long term lay-off.

Wenger used to make a big claims about protecting youngsters and bringing them through at the right pace. The amount of games Jack played last year made a joke of these claims. He was top of the list for appearances wasn't he? Then he went and brought Chamberlain into that rout for the last few minutes, totally unnecessary. What a ridiculous way to kill his debut for the club.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Vela View Post
    And almost certainly true, Wenger said as much today that they've known Vermaelen and Wilshere would be reasonably long-term a few weeks back so it's only a short leap to the timing of the announcement.
    Oh well if he said that then it's pretty much obvious that it was the case. I think I should be more annoyed about it...standard practice though I think. If I was a cunt that couldn't solve obvious problems at the club, I'd have done the same too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    I think the plan was to bring in one more CB if the price was right and that would have been that. But the humiliation at Old Trafford, the increase in ticket prices, the departure of our star players, these injuries and the slowly building rumblings from the fans finally forced them to spend some money. Unfortunately they wouldn't spend what was required to bring in top quality, that is still a step too far for the miserly bastards. So yeah, the mad dash was certainly used to drag attention away from a lot of negatives. We know the story from here though. Arteta and Yossi Fucking Benayoun probably won't get much game time due to injury and old age, then it's take your pick from Santos, Mertesacker and Young for another long term lay-off.Wenger used to make a big claims about protecting youngsters and bringing them through at the right pace. The amount of games Jack played last year made a joke of these claims. He was top of the list for appearances wasn't he? Then he went and brought Chamberlain into that rout for the last few minutes, totally unnecessary. What a ridiculous way to kill his debut for the club.
    What does all that have to do with anything? Anyway you're right. But it'd only be a shame for oxlade if playing for arsenal actually meant something.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wenger ....

“Some of the other players were linked with the fact we have Wilshere out for a long time like Diaby. I knew as well that Vermaelen would have surgery the week before Manchester United so we needed to buy a centre-back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    I think the plan was to bring in one more CB if the price was right and that would have been that. But the humiliation at Old Trafford, the increase in ticket prices, the departure of our star players, these injuries and the slowly building rumblings from the fans finally forced them to spend some money. Unfortunately they wouldn't spend what was required to bring in top quality, that is still a step too far for the miserly bastards. So yeah, the mad dash was certainly used to drag attention away from a lot of negatives. We know the story from here though. Arteta and Yossi Fucking Benayoun probably won't get much game time due to injury and old age, then it's take your pick from Santos, Mertesacker and Young for another long term lay-off.

Wenger used to make a big claims about protecting youngsters and bringing them through at the right pace. The amount of games Jack played last year made a joke of these claims. He was top of the list for appearances wasn't he? Then he went and brought Chamberlain into that rout for the last few minutes, totally unnecessary. What a ridiculous way to kill his debut for the club.

I've been thinking about this too - and whether the team of the past few years has helped or hindered youngsters. its all well and good to say that Wenger gives first team opportunities to young players that they don't get elsewhere, but some of our youngsters have suffered through being overplayed; others confidence wise and most through lack of role models/experienced players alongside them.
    Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wenger really fucked up.

I knew Mertersacker wouldn't be enough, we needed to get at least two competent centre halves now we stuck with Kos/Djo.