User Tag List

View Poll Results: Time for a different formation?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

13 72.22%
  • No.

5 27.78%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Time to ditch 4-3-3?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syn View Post
    I can forgive trying something different and failing, but I can't forgive keeping a failed approach.
    This particular line sums up everything wrong with this club- people not giving a f**k and doing the same thing over and over again while the whole world is changing around them.

I mean, I don't know if it was our last game where the commentator mentioned that Theo has been in our club since jan 06- 5 bleeping years and he's still as clueless on the wing as he ever was!!!

ATM the only true winger type player I see in our club is Gervinho, everyone else seems to be doing silly secondments that are just not working. We still have no real no 9s, but a bunch of false no 9s, no 8s and no 10s.

In fact the only thing that feels real about our 4-3-3 is our back 4; and that says it all really.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GB. View Post
    Welcome back - for a fee, no-one can see how you've voted
    Just post you account details and my Nigerian accountant will get back to you

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    If we are to play 4-4-2, it would help to have two "all round" central midfielders in there, capable of providing enough defensive cover when we lose the ball and when we are in possession, to have the technical ability to link up with the attackers and offer creativity going forward. Perhaps Song and Wilshere could do a decent job in there, with Song the defensive player and Wilshere the offensive player but even then, I'd worry about us being a bit light in there. Moreover, you know that Wenger would probably end up playing players like Arteta out wide just to accommodate them, which will simply make it a disjointed system. In that system you want either pace or real goalscoring threat down the wings, and although Arteta's a good player he's not suited to playing wide IMO.

I think when Wilshere comes back, a central 3 of Wilshere, Arteta and Song is the best we can do. Out wide, Gervinho looks comfortable. The main problem seems to be the centre forward role, and the other wide position. If I was the manager, I'd say if RVP and Walcott are unable to perform in that system, they have to be dropped IMO. We can't adapt our play just to suit two players, because if we go to a 4-4-2 other problems start appearing (we become defensively more unstable IMO, and may have to fit square pegs in round holes again)

So, I'd retain the 4-3-3 system, and if RVP and Walcott can't hack it in this system, I'd remove them from the team and give Young and Oxlade a chance.
    I agree he will play more square pegs in round holes. RVP has shown he can play in the centre if he has support, but at the moment he's not getting anything from Ramsey. The middle is too weak to support the wingers or front man. Barca's system is so effective because the middle is the launch pad for attacks and the ball is bounced front to back and side to side because the middle is always moving, taking the ball and giving the players around it time to run or support to play the one two. We don't have that at the moment and when we had Cesc, for a while, he was the only player moving around to support the front three and that's a two man job. Was glad to see Wilshere drafted into the first team but for a while he was one defensive duty for most games and just sat back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie the Gooner View Post
    This. Wenger needs to learn how to swtich between the too when needed. We look like we don't even have a plan A neve mind a plan b
    Plan A, B, C, through Z is to tip it, then tap it, then tip it again. Tip, tap, tip, tap, tippy, tappy, tip, tap, Theo falls over, tap, tippy, tappy, Theo falls over, tappy, tip, tap... repeat until final whistle. Theo falls over.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Slight variation on the formation, 4-2-3-1, basically 2 central MF.

back 5 as per usual (whoever is fit)

Song Wilshire

Gervinho RVP Arteta

Theo

basically jack and song being the 2 central figures, as someone said, song being the defensive player and jack to be more offensive. 1 defo winger in gervinho and (just cos we havent really got another proven winger) arteta playing the pires role. Rvp to drop deeper in a total free role. as he does most of the games nowadays to get the ball and thick theo smallcock to just stay up top and make the runs. This way he wont get lost down the flanks! arsh to fill in once RVP has his customary time off for 3 months.

only really Arteta playing out of position

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I_Killed_Kenny View Post
    Slight variation on the formation, 4-2-3-1, basically 2 central MF.

back 5 as per usual (whoever is fit)

Song Wilshire

Gervinho RVP Arteta

Theo

basically jack and song being the 2 central figures, as someone said, song being the defensive player and jack to be more offensive. 1 defo winger in gervinho and (just cos we havent really got another proven winger) arteta playing the pires role. Rvp to drop deeper in a total free role. as he does most of the games nowadays to get the ball and thick theo smallcock to just stay up top and make the runs. This way he wont get lost down the flanks! arsh to fill in once RVP has his customary time off for 3 months.

only really Arteta playing out of position
    OMG, he killed Kenny
    somebody put something in my milk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by milla View Post
    OMG, he killed Kenny
    i know, i know, i'm a bastard!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sack Wenger and change our formation to a something that suits none of our players, just in time for our next PL game- that'l certainly improve things.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    “I think Podolski will play more central for us,” he said in Beijing.

“Giroud is a different target man who would be more the player in a 4-4-2.

“He knocks the ball down, protects the ball well, makes play for his partners, and is a very intelligent player who has great physique, as well as being very strong in the air.”
    Interesting from Wenget.
    It's better to burn out, than to fade away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Podolski's attributes are more suited to a central role.

As well you know this means of course SC week is back on.