User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: When Saturday comes!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe its just growing up, but when we used to get beaten, I would be so annoyed that night, but these days, I just dont care that much. Dont get me wrong, I love to see them win, but when they do lose, I dont let it get to me. Most of the players dont care, so why should I.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alexander View Post
    Maybe its just growing up, but when we used to get beaten, I would be so annoyed that night, but these days, I just dont care that much. Dont get me wrong, I love to see them win, but when they do lose, I dont let it get to me. Most of the players dont care, so why should I.
    This

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Completely agree. I remember our previous seasons where I would be deemed unapproachable by friends because I would be in such a foul mood after a loss but now I am much better in taking losses into our stride. Its scary how much lack of positivity is there around the club right now. This can be seen on tv where there are empty seats in the front row and also by the fact that game tickets are going on general sale these days. I remember when I had to beg ppl on GW to find me a match ticket against Chelsea and City.. guess it wouldnt b so much of an issue next time I go for a game.. but then, with the type of football we are playing, I dont think I will be coming to London solely to watch a football game either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're in the age of diminished expectations at Arsenal. Sure, growing up is part of the reason why a lot of fans aren't as bothered when we lose as before, and some of it is due to the fact that many players don't seem to give a damn when we lose (look at Traore against United for example) But I think another obvious reason is that losing these days is just not particularly unexpected. Before, we believed we could win every game, and any defeat was a shock to the system. Now, with Wenger having dismantled our squad over successive seasons and left it threadbare, we're not surprised when we drop points given the lack of quality in the starting XI. This is why so many people are satisfied with a 1-0 win against Swansea and a draw at Dortmund. Our expectations have been significantly lowered due to the actions by the board and the manager, so much so that results which in the past would have been cause for concern are now seen as good ones.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's the change of expectation. A defeat of any kind, used to just plain ruin the following day or 2 for me. I think we only lost 8 league games from 2001-2004, which was staggering really, we were certainly spoilt.

Now I guess losing has just become easier to accept because the team is not that great anymore.

The next 4-5 games are on general sale as well and I've recieved a few emails over the past month trying to lure me in. Shit ain't what it used to be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    We're in the age of diminished expectations at Arsenal. Sure, growing up is part of the reason why a lot of fans aren't as bothered when we lose as before, and some of it is due to the fact that many players don't seem to give a damn when we lose (look at Traore against United for example) But I think another obvious reason is that losing these days is just not particularly unexpected. Before, we believed we could win every game, and any defeat was a shock to the system. Now, with Wenger having dismantled our squad over successive seasons and left it threadbare, we're not surprised when we drop points given the lack of quality in the starting XI. This is why so many people are satisfied with a 1-0 win against Swansea and a draw at Dortmund. Our expectations have been significantly lowered due to the actions by the board and the manager, so much so that results which in the past would have been cause for concern are now seen as good ones.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    It's the change of expectation. A defeat of any kind, used to just plain ruin the following day or 2 for me. I think we only lost 8 league games from 2001-2004, which was staggering really, we were certainly spoilt.
    I say this alot when I talk about Arsenal now, I have been spoilt, probably by the greatest Arsenal team I will ever witness. Bit sad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashburton2006 View Post
    Dont know about any of you Guy's, but I no longer look forward to Saturday with the anticipation of the footy!

It is becoming a bit depressing and almost a dread watching or awaiting the results!

In the good old days with Henry, Bergkamp, Ljunburg and the rest of the invincibles, we would be thinking about how many we would win by!

Now, I am thinking that a draw at Blackburn would be a good result.

I have supported Arsenal since 1972, and believe me, I have watched some rubbish! But the enjoyment is being drained from me!
    Having supported the Arsenal since 1971, I too have seen some frustrating rubbish, However, if we had not had the golden first 10 years of Wenger, most supporters would probably be a lot happier with the last 5 years. After 18 years of disappointment before we won in 1989, the current drought is not long. A manager who regularly got us 4th or better over 5 years would have been considered good before Graham/Wenger. Most other teams have supporters who have to see themselves ending up with bugger all for decades but they still turn up and they still support.

However, I still hope that the team will turn it around. Maybe it won't happen but it won't stop me hoping that it will. Being a supporter sucks sometimes especially after a bad run like this but if you really care about the Arsenal you have to stick with it. Criticise players and/or the manager for reasons - that is OK - but don't ever stop wanting the team to win, wanting it to get better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you don’t send this signature to ten people, you will become a Spurs fan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having supported the Arsenal since 1971, I too have seen some frustrating rubbish, However, if we had not had the golden first 10 years of Wenger, most supporters would probably be a lot happier with the last 5 years. After 18 years of disappointment before we won in 1989, the current drought is not long. A manager who regularly got us 4th or better over 5 years would have been considered good before Graham/Wenger. Most other teams have supporters who have to see themselves ending up with bugger all for decades but they still turn up and they still support.
    This is the part of some Arsenal fans I really dislike. Yes, some of you guys have waited forever for us to win trophies but football is a different ball game now. We are not in the 60s where every team in the league had a chance to win the trophy. With the way things are going, the top will remain at the top and then there will be the rest. The way AW is running the club, we will be with the rest and not winning trophies in the near future.
    SAF couldve sat on his laurels and retired nicely but that man is a winner. He has won countless trophies for Utd yet you see hunger in that man to go to the next level. The decision is our clubs, do you want to be a 'has been' or become one of the games big players. Unfortunately they want to be a 'has been' and a big player in the 'mortgage industry'... Fuck that! I want a winning mentality running in the club... not middle class 'i will take pay check home and pay bills' mentality... wake up and fuckin smell the coffee. If you are not no.1, you are nothing.

However, I still hope that the team will turn it around. Maybe it won't happen but it won't stop me hoping that it will. Being a supporter sucks sometimes especially after a bad run like this but if you really care about the Arsenal you have to stick with it. Criticise players and/or the manager for reasons - that is OK - but don't ever stop wanting the team to win, wanting it to get better.
    I'll be honest and I wanted Arsenal to lose and get out of the CL this season and in fact I was bummed when we qualified. However my sorrows were only for a little while because something even better happened- the 8-2 massacre at OT. Before the game at OT, I felt that we needed a major kick up the arse to change the way we were being run and thought not qualifying for the CL would be that kick but Allah had better plans, he got us qualified and got us massacred at OT. That result was a kick in the arse and it also helped us sign Arteta (on a pay cut), Per and others like Santos and TJ
    Last edited by fakeyank; 17-09-2011 at 02:45 AM.