Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Wenger Out?...Seriously.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernesto View Post
    Does anyone remember how Brian Clough left Forest?

Was he sacked or did he walk? I recall he took Forest full circle- from back-to-back European champions to relegation fom the top flight in his final season.

The reason I ask is this whole "borrowed time" argument. Does he still have a licence from the board (he's definitely lost the fans now, has Wenger) to do whatever he wants, whenever he wants? It appeared Clough had exactly that luxury at the City Ground and there was an interesting article in the Indy the other week comparing and contrasting the two situations.
    I mentioned the Clough comparison around a month ago and was laughed out of town.

Well whos laughing now?

Well it would be me if i wasnt so pissed off

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who can replace him.

Honestly if Donald Duck and Pluto walked through they door I'd give them the job over this chump, they might not know much about football tactics and setting a team up but neither does he.

and at least Donald Duck would quack in anger at the players rather than getting behind them all the time.

Administrator McNamara That Ghost...'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    What do we do about the board though? Wenger is not and has never been the whole problem. You get rid of Wenger and the what changes? This club needs major amputations, not a haircut.
    Well we can't buy anyone until January now anyway. What would be needed now is stability and a defence that resembles something like a defence.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes Wenger needs to go, there is no question about that.

It's getting pretty desperate now and IMHO you could compare Wenger's current situation to that of Benetiz or Houllier in there final days at Liverpool.

I don't think Wenger has it in him to turn things around, the calibre of player we now have in our squad isn't at the play his perfect type of football.

What we now need is someone like a Hiddink to organise this bunch until we're in a position to attract a higher calibre player.

I honestly think that if Wenger stays in charge we'll have several seasons of 6-8 finishes, i'm being totally serious.
    Last edited by selassie; 17-09-2011 at 02:22 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernesto View Post
    Does anyone remember how Brian Clough left Forest?

Was he sacked or did he walk? I recall he took Forest full circle- from back-to-back European champions to relegation fom the top flight in his final season.

The reason I ask is this whole "borrowed time" argument. Does he still have a licence from the board (he's definitely lost the fans now, has Wenger) to do whatever he wants, whenever he wants? It appeared Clough had exactly that luxury at the City Ground and there was an interesting article in the Indy the other week comparing and contrasting the two situations.
    Been saying this for a while. Wow past glories hold a lot of faith at our club

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnerrrrr View Post
    Hopefuuly a morhinio type of manager would de,and change
    We've gotta be realistic about the calibre of manager who comes in. Mourinho wouldn't leave his job at Real. Arsenal wouldn't pay him as well as the Spaniards do and nor would they offer him vast amounts of money to make lavish investment in the squad (you really think Mourinho would join Arsenal if he had to stick/persist with the crap we've got out there at the moment?!)

We are looking at a mid-table manager. A Martin o'Neill (you may well laugh, but that's going to be the only sloppy seconds going) or a Carlo Ancelotti type-manager. No Mourinho, no Hiddink, no Guardiola. A feel-good factor manager may be enough to see out our season (Georgie Graham, anyone? It worked at Liverpool with Dalglish)

'Arsenal quality' has not only dissipated from the kind of player we can attract, but also the type of manager to replace Wenger.
    Formerly TMOKJ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i think he will resign now, and its time to. really sad to see him go but its right for him and us BUT he is the greatest manager this club has ever had, he took us to the top, the very top, he successfully took us to the emirates, kept us going on nothing, he transformed english football. yes he has fucked up now and needs to go but i will remember him as the greatest manager we have ever had. you should too

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ach View Post
    Should have gone at the end of the 09/10 season and certainly at the end of last.

We are gradually getting worse and he hasnt got any idea on how to fix it. Its time for a change
    This

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get Rafa Benitez in tbh.

Might be able to get us 5th and win the CL in his first year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McNamara That Ghost... View Post
    Well we can't buy anyone until January now anyway. What would be needed now is stability and a defence that resembles something like a defence.
    You won't get that with Wenger at the helm.

Most realistic scenario is Wenger moves upstairs (perhaps after a 'health scare' to save face and win him back some sympathy), and then we get someone like Steve Bould in as a caretaker boss for rest of season.

Then it's Ancelotti or Van Gaal for me. Assuming the board can attract them with a big enough transfer kitty.