User Tag List

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Defensive coach

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ach View Post
    the season you're thinking of is 90/91 where we conceded 18.
    fuck i'm old

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syn View Post
    So 5 matches in and we've only conceeded 3 goals less than we did in the entire 98/99 season. That's just disturbing.
    Indeed.

Although I think United scored 20+ more than us that year.

That season still makes me sick to this day.
    Last edited by Marc Overmars; 19-09-2011 at 03:57 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Flavs View Post
    done it myself. Under wenger, goals conceded year on year

96/97 -32*
    97/98 - 33
    98/99 - 17*
    99/00 - 43??
    00/01 - 38
    01/02 - 36
    2/3 - 42
    3/4 - 26*
    4/5 - 36
    5/6 - 31
    6/7 - 35
    7/8 - 31
    8/9 - 37
    9/10 - 41
    10/11 - 43

* means lowest in the league

Last 4 years have increased year on year as well...
    We are on course to concede 106 this year.

Thank fuck we kept clean sheets against Newcastle and Swansea, otherwise it would have looked really bad.
    If you don’t send this signature to ten people, you will become a Spurs fan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anybody even think Arsene is going to employ a defensive coach? This is a man that has ignored his star players who have been asking him to improve the squad for the past 5 or 6 seasons. He certainly won't bow to pressure regardless of whether it comes from the media, fans or the players.

I'm not saying that Arsene is unreasonable but he's a man of principles and if he believes that his way is right irrespective of our current slump then I think he'll stick to his ideals.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by selassie View Post
    Does anybody even think Arsene is going to employ a defensive coach? This is a man that has ignored his star players who have been asking him to improve the squad for the past 5 or 6 seasons. He certainly won't bow to pressure regardless of whether it comes from the media, fans or the players.

I'm not saying that Arsene is unreasonable but he's a man of principles and if he believes that his way is right irrespective of our current slump then I think he'll stick to his ideals.
    I do agree on what you are saying but I think this season is different. The pressure on Arsene is immense from the fans, press, players etc. Gervinho has already stated his displeasure on having lost Cesc and Nasri, RVP, Theo has called for re-inforcements and also the fact that Theo and RVP will be in their last year of contracts next season, I do think Arsene will change his ways, he has to... he doesnt want to be sacked from Arsenal, a club he has built pretty much by himself in the last decade or so.

My ideal situation would be to get Dein back on board and have Arsene work alongside him.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The rot started long before Dein left.

Last thing we need is another one of Wengers chums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BTW where's the poster that uses stats to prove that it's all in our mind, and AW is actually a better defensive coach than Graham? :chuckle:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's 10.

10 permutations of back 4 in 8 games.

Also:

Most consecutive games with same back 4 : 2
    Total number of games in which same back 4 started game as finished it : 4 of 8

It's not the only contributory factor to our train-wreck defending, or perhaps even the most significant, but it sure is fucked up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd like to know how often United's defence shifts in personnel, because it appears that Rio and Vidic have been in and out of the side a lot due to injury. They don't have a recognised first choice right back either, Smalling is now playing there, with Fabio & Rafael stepping in many times as well.

I can understand the potential benefit of having a settled defence but ultimatley I believe our problems stem from poor coaching, rather than individuals not being present. Vermaelen is out - so what? Do we really believe the absence of one guy is enough to turn our defence into an absolute shambles? When it's hap hazard at the best of times anyway. They're not kids and they've all been around long enough to know the job in hand.

As I alluded to with United, it shouldn't matter really who is out, at the end of the day you expect your defence to do the job required and that doesn't happen for us, regardless of who is playing. Phil Jones looks quality but would he have hit the ground running with us? Doubt it.
    Last edited by Marc Overmars; 19-09-2011 at 11:17 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FakeYank View Post

My ideal situation would be to get Dein back on board and have Arsene work alongside him.
    yeah i always think its a good ideal to jump backwards 4 or 5 years when the club clearly need to move forward. Just out of interest what exactly do you think Dein did at the club? Was he a defensive coach? assistant manager? Club psychologist?

No he was a board member FFS, another one. Why don't we bring back Lady yo-yo knickers and resurrect Fiszman as well. That would be rosy