Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Defensive coach

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Defensive coach

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has the full backing of the club's players, despite the club's worst start to the season for 58 years - but they want a defensive coach to help them through their current crisis. Full story: Daily Mirror
    It takes the players to tell Wenger we need a defensive coach? Who's likely to come in?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think its something the team needs too but it can only go so far. Defending starts from the front through the midfielders and then the back four. Our team shape off the ball is terrible, the midfielders hang the back four out to dry, and the back four themselves are obviously poor as a unit.

Also Arseblog had a point when he said:

I hear people talking about how we need a new defensive coach. I’m really not sure that’s the answer. It probably wouldn’t hurt but ultimately it’d be like zonal marking, absolving Arsene of the responsibility. The finger could be pointed at the defensive coach, if things went wrong, and not the manager. Anyway, Arsene has resisted all previous calls for an addition to his coaching squad, to do so now would smack of desperation.
    http://arseblog.com/2011/09/blackbur...of-two-halves/

Ultimately we need a manager that understands how to defend as a team, and AW is showing no signs of understanding how to do that. A defensive coach is better than nothing, but the manager's philosophy is too attack based for it to have a major effect on the team.

It would make sense though to promote Steve Bould from the under-18s into the first team coaching set up. Or maybe kidnap Lee Dixon and Martin Keown from their BBC jobs and get them on the training pitch. You inherited a great defense Wenger, and this gave you a solid platform to build on. You might as well use them again if possible.
    Last edited by Tipsychubbs; 19-09-2011 at 12:17 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The obvious choice is to promote Steve Bould of course but there is no instant fix. There's every chance the defence would still self destruct even with him behind them. These players are set in their ways and need shaking up, so something, anything has to be done.

Quite frankly it does not speak volumes at all for Wenger that it's become pretty much accepted he cannot build a defence. One of the best managers in the world? Hmm.
    Last edited by Marc Overmars; 19-09-2011 at 09:01 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    The obvious choice is to promote Steve Bould of course but there is no instant fix. There's every chance the defence would still self destruct even with him behind them. These players are set in their ways and need shaking up, so something, anything has to be done.
    Well two of the four on Saturday were new boys who shouldn't need shaking up.

Our problems are the same as they've been for 6 years.

We don't keep a straight line. We don't mark up in the box. We can't deal with high balls down the middle. We let the ball bounce. We don't work as a unit.

Our defenders also need to start lumping the ball up more. Fuck the passing out of the back, because with Kos and Merts. they're shit at it. lump it up and get players putting pressure on the 3rd touch, like every other fucker does to us.
    It's better to burn out, than to fade away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Preaching to the choir mate, this rubbish has gone on long enough and it actually angers me to still have this same topic of discussion after all these years. Wenger would have been sacked by now if this was any other club, but he's still here because the people on the board are only interested in the monies he makes them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Need a new manager.

What the feck does he do

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    gone too far now.

players wont respond to wenger. he's let them get away with murder for 6 years.

need change of personnel.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    not one of these anti-wenger types but if the players have lost faith in his ability to send out a side capable of winning (ie. one that can defend) then im not sure how his position is still tenable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BOBN View Post
    not one of these anti-wenger types but if the players have lost faith in his ability to send out a side capable of winning (ie. one that can defend) then im not sure how his position is still tenable.
    I agree. There have been good managers in the past at other clubs who simply have lost the trust of the players - it is not because they are fundamentally bad managers, it is just that when the confidence has gone, it can need a change of personel at the top. I am prepared to wait a few more weeks as the new players have not had time to bed in. Also, although our defence left something to be desired in the last game, I did like the way we played very hard up to the final whistle to get something out of the game. Sure, there were some bad misses but the effort was definitely there and more than we have been showing in the recent past. But Wenger must turn it round before Xmas or I think the majority of fans will be calling for his head. Including me.

New Signing
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LDG View Post
    Well two of the four on Saturday were new boys who shouldn't need shaking up.

Our problems are the same as they've been for 6 years.

We don't keep a straight line. We don't mark up in the box. We can't deal with high balls down the middle. We let the ball bounce. We don't work as a unit.

Our defenders also need to start lumping the ball up more. Fuck the passing out of the back, because with Kos and Merts. they're shit at it. lump it up and get players putting pressure on the 3rd touch, like every other fucker does to us.
    Agreed. Seemed as though the new-boys are still settling in though....not an excuse perhaps, better organisation of the transfer-window would maybe have assisted here, however, Santos' first game and Merts' first against genuine, clod-hopping, premiership opposition is always going to be a baptism of fire.

Lets take an analytical view of all their goals.

Goal 1.
    First mistake, Santos holds Yak on-side. He can see across the line and should be better positioned.
    Second mistake, Koscielny has Yakubu in front, in his vision and does not get close to him. Basic defending, really !
    Goal 2.
    Bit unlucky this one, but to be honest it still needs a big shout with a big boot/ head from Kos (I think) who was standing in front of Song
    Goal 3.
    Simple basic lack of organisation and thinking. Kos goes for the head and misses....seems to do this a lot in the box. The Blackburn player just wellies a hopeful ball into the box and Yakubu scores. There are at least three Arsenal defenders by-passed on the way to Yakubu, none of whom think to close down the cross. You can bet your life that if it had been at the other end, you'd have Blackburn players hurling themselves in front of the ball for fun !
    Goal 4.
    I think this goal highlights everything that is wrong with our defending...and you know what ? Kos was not at fault for it this time.....his positioning was good for a change. Ironically, had it not been as good he probably wouldn't have scored ! Djourou's utterly, contemptible stupidity for trying to slide tackle their winger was completely unforgiveable at this level. What he should have done, what you and I would have done, what my bleedin' grandmother would have done is stay on your feet, show him the line, slow up the pace of the attack and give the defence a chance to get back. And then, as if that wasn't bad enough, Song's attempted tackle was just laughable. It was as though he was playing a trivial five-a-side game with his mates. He's a giant of a man, why the hell didn't get his body between man and goal and shuffle the bloke into touch !! Instead he puts in his toe like he was testing the water at his local swimming baths while the winger takes a touch and whips a decent ball in front of him. IT SHOULD NOT HAPPEN AT THIS LEVEL!!!!!

Defending is not just the domain of defenders...it starts from the front. We are not good enough at closing down up-front and in midfield. We are not bright enough, or aware enough to judge when we can make a challenge or when we just need to hold players up. We panic too easily and allow teams to break at speed and seem incapable of breaking them up or slowing them down.

I hear a lot of people criticising the team for not having the desire, to go and get stuck in or for not trying hard enough. Whilst this may be true for one or two players (Arshavin seems to be the main culprit) I actually believe that much of our problems stem from us trying too hard. JoDo's attempted tackle for the fourth goal showed plenty of desire for example, but was just utterly stupid. His head had gone, he couldn't handle the pressure and all logic had evaporated from his brain. I can't fault Kos for effort, but his decision making is just pitiful when he's up against it.

I think this is where the much-bandied "Leader" is required. To take the team by the scruff of the neck and say "Right, you morons, calm down, heads-up and let's play these W****rs off the park, like you know we can !!". Problem is, I'm not sure we've got anyone like that...not even the manager !