User Tag List

Page 2826 of 3202 FirstFirst ... 1826232627262776281628242825282628272828283628762926 ... LastLast
Results 28,251 to 28,260 of 32018

Thread: "Currants Bw..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ollie the Optimist View Post
    I agree that back in the 80s it would have been different but mental health was almost a taboo subject back then.

Today its very different. Harry & William very publicly launched a mental health campaign a few years ago and ran a charity for it. If it ever came out (well no longer an if) i suspect it would have done huge damage to their efforts with their charity etc.

Meghan said she went to HR about it which seems odd to me as a first port of call rather than one of the doctors working at the palace etc but given all we know about HR departments these days, i again struggle to believe they would reject it or hush it up. We get countless emails from work HR about our mental health in lockdown. Also didnt Harry & William both have therapy after their mother died? I’m sure i read that before but could be wrong.
    Some interesting points there. The problem really is that mental health is so subjective. Some people function OK in situations where others disintegrate. Also, some people will blame others for their negative feelings when often they would be better looking at themselves, while others will take ownership of their feelings and try to address these. It is clear that Meghan suffered from being in what must be a very restrictive and demanding situation as a Royal, and I don't think many clear-thinking people would criticise her for wanting out of it. I also think that she (along with a whole line of other people in a similar situation) was mistreated by the press. But for me she is looking to blame the Royal family for a status quo that comes with the institution that it is (and that she chose to join) rather than anything actively done by them to abuse her. I may be wrong of course, but noone really knows the truth either way.
    Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56357796

Honestly, I tire of this argument.

"Why should women have to modify their behaviour? Stop victim blaming! Stop telling women they can't go out on their own and start telling men they shouldn't attack women!"

See. The thing is, men ARE told they shouldn't attack women. There are loads of campaigns about this sort of thing.
    But some men are awful people and men are, statistically, more prone to violence than women. And they are (again, statistically, not me!) generally stronger than women. So yeah, some women are going to get attacked. They shouldn't, obviously, but telling women to take sensible precautions is...well, sensible.

If I got burgled then while people were tutting sympathetically I imagine the police and the insurance company's first question would be whether I left the door wide open. If I did then will the insurance pay out? Will it balls. Not because the insurance company are "victim blaming", and yes it would be nice if we lived in a world where we could all go out without locking the doors and feel sure that no-one would take stuff, but unfortunately we don't live in that world.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Women should obviously be able to dress and behave in any way they’re comfortable with, without having to worry about the potential for consequences. However the awareness is already there and the majority of men are respectful and chivalrous for it. Unfortunately scumbags exist and it doesn’t really matter what precautionary measures are taken, there will always be a case of wrong place, wrong time somewhere.

Even as a guy I’ve walked late at night through some unsavoury places and had to have my guard up.
    Last edited by Marc Overmars; 11-03-2021 at 04:32 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    Unfortunately scumbags exist
    Right. And there are ways people (not just women, actually) can act which put themselves in more or less danger of becoming victims of them.
    Yes, people shouldn't have to take precautions, but I shouldn't have to lock my door.
    Just saying "well tell men not to attack women" is stupid, it's like saying "don't tell me to lock my door, tell people not to steal".
    People are told that but...well, yeah, scumbags exist.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    Women should obviously be able to dress and behave in any way they’re comfortable with, without having to worry about the potential for consequences. However the awareness is already there and the majority of men are respectful and chivalrous for it. Unfortunately scumbags exist and it doesn’t really matter what precautionary measures are taken, there will always be a case of wrong place, wrong time somewhere.

Even as a guy I’ve walked late at night through some unsavoury places and had to have my guard up.
    I think what makes it worse in this particular case is that she seemed to take all sensible precautionary measures such as walking in a lit street, on phone to boyfriend, wearing bright clothing etc etc.

However, the accused officer allegedly showed her his warrant card which then convinced her to get into his car or at least gave him the opportunity to then attack her. You can take all the safety measures you want but if someone comes up to with a genuine warrant card (and lets face it, this would have been if he used his own) then I suspect 99 times out of a 100 anyone would listen to the police officer. Only doubt might be if he was in plain clothes but even so, you’d still expect the police to be on your side.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah it is awful but as I said, wrong place, wrong time. Men don’t now need to be told how a woman should be treated and be made aware of the difficulties they go through, because men already know. The people who do these things are not men, they’re just scum of the earth.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ollie the Optimist View Post
    However, the accused officer allegedly showed her his warrant card which then convinced her to get into his car or at least gave him the opportunity to then attack her. You can take all the safety measures you want but if someone comes up to with a genuine warrant card (and lets face it, this would have been if he used his own) then I suspect 99 times out of a 100 anyone would listen to the police officer. Only doubt might be if he was in plain clothes but even so, you’d still expect the police to be on your side.
    I don't know how this can be known, presumably there were no witnesses. Although given that he's been arrested maybe there was CCTV or something?
    But yeah, sounds like there was nothing she could have reasonably done. But that doesn't mean that women shouldn't take sensible precautions.
    Just saying "Hey, men! Stop attacking women!" is not really a solution.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NOTE: The location of this post has been moved and the thread title (which was previously Wenger is Leaving) has been manipulated by a notorious pro-Wenger moderator. What was previously a message that contained no profanity and made a comment on a real life event has now been manipulated by a deliberately provocative title. An old and crude propaganda and censorship technique.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "a head injury he suffered while in custody."

Probably an accident.