User Tag List

Page 3007 of 3202 FirstFirst ... 2007250729072957299730053006300730083009301730573107 ... LastLast
Results 30,061 to 30,070 of 32015

Thread: "Currants Bw..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    Music - not even close.
    Entertainment. Meh, I mean he was a great performer. But the music is so uninteresting. Which doesn’t mean it’s bad, but there’s no progression. No great creativity.
    Sounds like the kinda pish people who aren't very entertaining come out with, tbh.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fuck me, are we really having one person saying Elvis was shit and another saying the Beatles were shit

Whether Elvis wrote the songs himself is irrelevant, he was a great performer and his songs great music. I think you’ll get a lot of descendants of black artists who have a legitimate beef over his essentially stealing their act but that’s by the by.

The Beatles equally one of the most consequential bands ever and evolved as a group. Albums like Rubber Soul and Revolver are exceptional.

I don’t really get the need for the comparison and competition, it’s completely subjective who is the greatest. Bands like The Beatles and The Stones were inspired by Elvis as much as they were skiffle and blues music.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HCZ_Reborn View Post
    Fuck me, are we really having one person saying Elvis was shit and another saying the Beatles were shit
    No. We’re having one person trolling, and the other (me) saying Elvis was hugely influential and indisputably a great singer and performer but IMO overrated.
    I just have more respect for artists who write songs, who write lyrics and melody and who show creativity in their musical progression. Artists who push the art of music on. Elvis didn’t do any of that, although he inspired the people who did. (EDIT: Lennon recounted how he saw an Elvis film and thought “that’s a good job!”)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Elvis was shit and a nonce.
    NOTE: The location of this post has been moved and the thread title (which was previously Wenger is Leaving) has been manipulated by a notorious pro-Wenger moderator. What was previously a message that contained no profanity and made a comment on a real life event has now been manipulated by a deliberately provocative title. An old and crude propaganda and censorship technique.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No. We’re having one person trolling, and the other (me) saying Elvis was hugely influential and indisputably a great singer and performer but IMO overrated.
    I just have more respect for artists who write songs, who write lyrics and melody and who show creativity in their musical progression. Artists who push the art of music on. Elvis didn’t do any of that, although he inspired the people who did. (EDIT: Lennon recounted how he saw an Elvis film and thought “that’s a good job!”)
    How was Elvis overrated then? Serious question, in what regard?

I've no issue with the Beatles, man. They're just not my kinda music, at all. They're also one of these bands who ended up so far up their own arse they put out some music that was genuinely horrific. Like worst ever type nonsense. But their mainstream stuff, fine, just not for me. Couldn't get into similar groups like Take That or One Direction. I appreciate they're were all hugely popular in their appeal to a certain type of person...I'm just not one of those people.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You’re the one that came wading in with your size three and a half’s spouting shit.
    If you don’t send this signature to ten people, you will become a Spurs fan.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xhaka Can’t View Post
    You’re the one that came wading in with your size three and a half’s spouting shit.
    If you want to respond to what I actually said, instead of stopping to trolling and abuse then go nuts.
    Otherwise don’t bother

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want to respond to what I actually said, instead of stopping to trolling and abuse then go nuts.
    Otherwise don’t bother
    Your first sentence set the tone, and then you fling the troll monicker around you.

And yes, I’ll go to my grave convinced your taste in music is tragically shit.

But hey, Chas or Dave, whichever one of them is still alive, have to make a living, so Saul Goodman.
    If you don’t send this signature to ten people, you will become a Spurs fan.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mandela8 View Post
    How was Elvis overrated then? Serious question, in what regard?
    I’ve explained in other posts. I just don’t think he did anything that interesting musically.
    Which doesn’t mean his stuff isn’t good but there’s no great progression as an artist.
    There’s no Sgt Pepper from him. No Pet Sounds. No OK Computer. No Dark Side of The Moon.
    He wasn’t a great musician, he wasn’t a composer. And you may say “so what”, which is fine. I just have more respect and regard for people who can write some of the all time classic songs and albums as well as perform them.

Again, his influence can’t be overstated. And I don’t dispute he was a brilliant performer. But you look up the best albums of all time you’re not going to find much Elvis stuff there. (Had a quick look at Rolling Stone’s top 100, there’s an Elvis one around number 78, nothing higher. There are 5 Beatles albums in the top 50.)

Please Please Me, the album, is a good little Rock and Roll album. If they’d done another load of albums like that then they’d have their place in music history but they wouldn’t be on the pedestal they are. The reason they’re on it is they were part of pushing the art of popular music on. You look at the progression album on album from Please Please Me to Sgt Pepper. The increase in complexity and creativity. It went from good little pop albums to pieces of art. Elvis did nothing like that, but he certainly inspired the people who did.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xhaka Can’t View Post
    But hey, Chas or Dave, whichever one of them is still alive, have to make a living, so Saul Goodman.
    I know you’re not actually stupid so why are you pretending to be?
    I’ve backed up my stance, you’ve just resorted to insults and trolling.

People like Chaz N Dave are fun. It’s like fast food. I can enjoy it and also know that while it’s enjoyable, it’s not as good as Sirloin Steak.