User Tag List

Page 3008 of 3202 FirstFirst ... 2008250829082958299830063007300830093010301830583108 ... LastLast
Results 30,071 to 30,080 of 32015

Thread: "Currants Bw..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    I’ve explained in other posts. I just don’t think he did anything that interesting musically.
    It's better to burn out, than to fade away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LDG View Post
    Fuck off troll!
    If you don’t send this signature to ten people, you will become a Spurs fan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve explained in other posts. I just don’t think he did anything that interesting musically.
    Which doesn’t mean his stuff isn’t good but there’s no great progression as an artist.
    There’s no Sgt Pepper from him. No Pet Sounds. No OK Computer. No Dark Side of The Moon.
    He wasn’t a great musician, he wasn’t a composer. And you may say “so what”, which is fine. I just have more respect and regard for people who can write some of the all time classic songs and albums as well as perform them.

Again, his influence can’t be overstated. And I don’t dispute he was a brilliant performer. But you look up the best albums of all time you’re not going to find much Elvis stuff there. (Had a quick look at Rolling Stone’s top 100, there’s an Elvis one around number 78, nothing higher. There are 5 Beatles albums in the top 50.)

Please Please Me, the album, is a good little Rock and Roll album. If they’d done another load of albums like that then they’d have their place in music history but they wouldn’t be on the pedestal they are. The reason they’re on it is they were part of pushing the art of popular music on. You look at the progression album on album from Please Please Me to Sgt Pepper. The increase in complexity and creativity. It went from good little pop albums to pieces of art. Elvis did nothing like that, but he certainly inspired the people who did.
    You talk about this creativity and progression like I'm meant to gie a fuck. I don't. I listen to music to be entertained. Elvis is untouchable in this regard. Simply put, he could take any song the Beatles wrote and he'd perform it better than they, or anyone else, could. Simple as that. That's why he's the GOAT.

You can mention all these Beatles albums but they're all shite to me. They actually went from bad to worse, imo. You seem to be mistaking change as progress. Becoming "more complex" was them actually becoming less entertaining...which is the point of music.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LDG View Post
    Incredible, isn't it, man.

Translated traditionally black music and country into a new genre paired with an expression of performance that had NEVER been seen before...but wasn't interesting or creative.

While he fanboys a boyband

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xhaka Can’t View Post
    Fuck off troll!
    D’aww. It’s been a while since you two have done your tweedledum and tweedledummer troll routine. You may wish to pause to consider that I’m managing to have a grown up conversation with mandela of all people while you’re acting like a schoolboy. Why don’t you try engaging with what I’m actually saying. Otherwise just stop replying

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mandela8 View Post
    You talk about this creativity and progression like I'm meant to gie a fuck. I don't.
    Well ok then. Music, and enjoyment of it, is subjective.
    I just find more complex music more interesting.

Love Me Do is…fine. It’s an ok little pop song. A Day In The Life is a piece of art.
    Albums like Sgt Pepper changed and pushed on music as an art form.
    Elvis didn’t, but he did inspire the people who did.
    If you want to keep listening to “fast food” music then fine, I mean I like it too, it is entertaining. I just prefer steak. It’s more interesting to me.

Elvis did cover some Beatles songs by the way. And they’re…fine, as I said he was an amazing performer. But the original of Yesterday has been played a bazillion times on the radio. Elvis’ cover of it…not so much. (To be fair I don’t know if he released it, possibly just something he did live, you can find it on YouTube).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HCZ_Reborn View Post
    Fuck me, are we really having one person saying Elvis was shit and another saying the Beatles were shit

Whether Elvis wrote the songs himself is irrelevant, he was a great performer and his songs great music. I think you’ll get a lot of descendants of black artists who have a legitimate beef over his essentially stealing their act but that’s by the by.

The Beatles equally one of the most consequential bands ever and evolved as a group. Albums like Rubber Soul and Revolver are exceptional.

I don’t really get the need for the comparison and competition, it’s completely subjective who is the greatest. Bands like The Beatles and The Stones were inspired by Elvis as much as they were skiffle and blues music.
    This

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do stop being wrong about everything.
    While hugely important and influential, and unquestionably a fantastic singer and performer, he is massively overrated. Wasn’t a great musician, didn’t write songs. Didn’t do anything musically that interesting or creative. Compare and contrast with The Beach Boys and The Beatles who actually pushed popular music on into an art form. The latter going from “Love Me Do” to “A Day In The Life” in under 5 years.
    The Beach Boys are one of the most overrated bands in hiatory

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Globalgunner View Post
    Poets, priests and politicians
    Have words to thank for their positions
    Words that scream for your submission
    And no one's jamming their transmission
    'Cause when their eloquence escapes you
    Their logic ties you up and rapes you.

Always been a big fan of "The Police"
    Sting knows how to write a song

He has however changed in his later years. Rebels in youth, not so sage with age.
    Still have every album though, some in that funny thing called vinyl

The Police were the first band i got into and though i've got into a lot of other stuff since, i still think they're great, saw them twice when they reformed and they were superb, just the three of them blasting out all the classics

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saw them in Hyde Park - believe it was their last gig in the UK. They were great.
    And I’ve separately seen Sting. And I saw a gig Sting did with Paul Simon at the O2 which was all kinds of brilliant