User Tag List

Page 3072 of 3202 FirstFirst ... 2072257229723022306230703071307230733074308231223172 ... LastLast
Results 30,711 to 30,720 of 32015

Thread: "Currants Bw..."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ooft. That's a good post, I don't have time to unpack it out now. Will have a proper look later*
    *I mean at some point later in my life, probably not today.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If climate change isn't reigned in in time, then i think we will see a period of increasing conflicts over migration and resources, followed by societal breakdown, rather than authoritarian control

The internet / data / AI feel all-pervasive until you can consider it's still all physical infrastructure

China and others have the capability to disrupt/destroy the GPS network satellites anytime they like and the internet is ultimately a network of physical cables which can likewise be destroyed

and then there's the power supplies upon which it all depends, which as we've seen can also easily be disrupted, not least because governments like ours have been far too slow to pursue renewable energy which can be created within national borders

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    Ooft. That's a good post, I don't have time to unpack it out now. Will have a proper look later*
    *I mean at some point later in my life, probably not today.
    It was an essay I know (slow morning!).
    Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac76 View Post
    If climate change isn't reigned in in time, then i think we will see a period of increasing conflicts over migration and resources, followed by societal breakdown, rather than authoritarian control

The internet / data / AI feel all-pervasive until you can consider it's still all physical infrastructure

China and others have the capability to disrupt/destroy the GPS network satellites anytime they like and the internet is ultimately a network of physical cables which can likewise be destroyed

and then there's the power supplies upon which it all depends, which as we've seen can also easily be disrupted, not least because governments like ours have been far too slow to pursue renewable energy which can be created within national borders
    Yes - fightening stuff...and its even more frightening that we are all sleeptwalking into what could be a dystopian future. Bad times
    Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whilst I think it’s always good to have concerns, as because with concerns come guardrails…I think this way lies dystopia is often an overplayed card and can have the consequence of developing Luddite attitudes.

The problem is never the technology it’s us the people that are the problem, we are most of us prone to short term thinking and some of us prone to exploitative and predatory thinking.

This is the advent of another chapter in the ongoing saga of human civilisation, and as I’ve said before most of the previous pages have been full of precarious circumstances and discord. I was 6 when the Berlin Wall came down and the end of history failed to materialise, the relatively short period of calm has strangely become the yard stick by which we measure the last five to ten years and by that standard it will seem like things are unusually tumultuous.

It’s not to be blasé about the problems we face, especially as there is no shared agreement about what those problems are let alone the solutions. But I don’t necessarily buy into the pre-ordained future of “imagine a boot stamping on a human face forever” either

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RIP John Motson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HCZ_Reborn View Post
    RIP John Motson
    indeed

some good bits of his commentary here https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64742833

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Turtle Bay

Nom nom nomnom
    It's better to burn out, than to fade away.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hadn’t heard of that chain. Does look good tbf.

Also:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64776969

Salad
    Awful food.

Vegetarians

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LDG View Post
    Turtle Bay

Nom nom nomnom