User Tag List

Page 3075 of 3202 FirstFirst ... 2075257529753025306530733074307530763077308531253175 ... LastLast
Results 30,741 to 30,750 of 32018

Thread: "Currants Bw..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    Holy shit

My place is woke af.

I recently got invited by "The Diversity Unit" to join an online discussion on "sex and gender equality".

That'll be a hard no...
    Afraid you might learn something?
    You used to be everything to me
    Now you're tired of fighting

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WMUG View Post
    Afraid you might learn something?
    Afraid I might say what I actually think and get an email from HR

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh goody

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-63824422

Elton John to headline Glasto.
    Looking forward to "I'm Dill Danding", "Diny Dander" and "Dandle in the Wind"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac76 View Post
    agreed, given how anti-cyclist this country can be it's good to see some kind of justice
    There is a perception that cyclists get away with not obeyin the rules of the road. Walking around the city everyday, cyclists routining go through red lights when pedestrians are crossing. Yet nothing ever happens to them, they dont get fines etc. someone will get hurt one day because of this and yet because cyclists dont have insurance etc, there would little anyone can do to recover compensation unlike if it was a car.

Jeremy vine routinely films poor driving and posts it on twitter yet when he posted a clip of a cyclist going through a red light and narrowly missing someone, he still defends the cyclist as saying it wasnt that bad.

I think the frustration among many is that if a cyclist is injured (or killed as in the case mentioned in this thread) action is taken (rightly) yet when cyclists break the law, nothing happens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How many people do cyclists kill a year vs people in cars?

You're about as likely to be killed by lightning as by a cyclist.

Law breaking by cyclists just isn't that big a problem.

Cyclists being killed, on the other hand, is a massive problem and will only be solved by fixing the massive damage that 20th century road design has caused.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How many people do cyclists kill a year vs people in cars?

You're about as likely to be killed by lightning as by a cyclist.

Law breaking by cyclists just isn't that big a problem.

Cyclists being killed, on the other hand, is a massive problem and will only be solved by fixing the massive damage that 20th century road design has caused.
    I fully accept cyclists are unlikely to kill someone if they hit them but they will cause injury.

As i said, walking around the city you are constantly having to watch out for cyclists routinely going through red lights when pedestrians are crossing. Several go through at speed and if you get hit, you are likely to have an injury because of their law breaking attitudes.

Is it really that hard for cyclists to stop at red lights?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ollie the Optimist View Post
    I fully accept cyclists are unlikely to kill someone if they hit them but they will cause injury.

As i said, walking around the city you are constantly having to watch out for cyclists routinely going through red lights when pedestrians are crossing. Several go through at speed and if you get hit, you are likely to have an injury because of their law breaking attitudes.

Is it really that hard for cyclists to stop at red lights?
    Sometimes it is much safer to go on red than on green.

On my commute, there's a couple of junctions like this one: https://goo.gl/maps/ueQ53sqx15dnUcgu6

When it's green for pedestrians, it's green on all 4 arms of the junction, meaning there are no cars going at that time.

When it's green for vehicles, you have cars turning across your path when you go.

So yes, it's much, much safer as a cyclist to go on red at that point than on green, as long as you take car to look out for pedestrians, obviously (though by the time you get to across the junction, they've almost certainly already finished crossing the road anyway).

The way to solve this problem is by designing the junction such that the green signal for cyclists is also the safest moment for cyclists to go. There's a few different ways to do that, but the best one I've seen is the CYCLOPS junction: https://goo.gl/maps/95km7qJC2CnHMU8v6

Here, cyclists are essentially alongside pedestrians, rather than at a right angle, and are never going at the same time as cars.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So yes, it's much, much safer as a cyclist to go on red at that point than on green, as long as you take care to look out for pedestrians, obviously.
    I don't actually have a problem with cyclists going through slowly and carefully, but sometimes they whizz through in a really dangerous way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    I don't actually have a problem with cyclists going through slowly and carefully, but sometimes they whizz through in a really dangerous way.
    Idiots gonna idiot.

You have to design infrastructure to account for idiocy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The jury is very much out as to whether it’s a shared pathway

But to be honest I don’t care about the cyclist vs motorist debate, apart from finding Jeremy Vine tiresome

I just think absolutely there should be no criminal penalty for what happened.