User Tag List

Page 3122 of 3204 FirstFirst ... 212226223022307231123120312131223123312431323172 ... LastLast
Results 31,211 to 31,220 of 32039

Thread: "Currants Bw..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    Couldn’t name a single song she did apart from that one, which is iconic.
    And yes, she was properly cray cray.
    But 56 is no age.
    i'm sorry that she's died but personally i didn't like her singing voice and particularly dislked 'Nothing Compares...' - the fact that the overhyped bag of nothing sometimes know as 'Prince' wrote it didn't help either

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac76 View Post
    i'm sorry that she's died but personally i didn't like her singing voice and particularly dislked 'Nothing Compares...' - the fact that the overhyped bag of nothing sometimes know as 'Prince' wrote it didn't help either
    It’s one of those instances where the cover is better than the original track. Like Heartbeats by Jose Gonzalez is better than the version by the Knives and Johnny Cash’s version of Hurt is better than the Nine Inch Nails version.

That’s literally the best I can do by way of eulogy

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not really a fan of Prince either, but that song is good* and it's a brilliant* version of it.

*obviously these things are subjective, but it's pretty iconic so is a fairly commonly held view.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Prince as a person (though I obvs didn’t know him personally) was supposed to be a bit of a dick.

That said, you can be a rubbish person and a brilliant musician. And he was a brilliant mucisian. One of the greatest in fact…the boy could play unbelievable guitar.

When Harrison died, he played Gently Weeps with a massive ensemble at a tribute gig and it’s well documented that the likes of Tom Petty didn’t want him to play…especially the solo bit. Google it…what he does with it is fucking waaaaaayyy more amazing than any of the other boring celebrated artists…
    It's better to burn out, than to fade away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not really a fan of Prince either, but that song is good* and it's a brilliant* version of it.

*obviously these things are subjective, but it's pretty iconic so is a fairly commonly held view.
    you mean it was music made for and popular with the general masses?

that's no mark of genuine musical integrity or quality

I'm sure you're aware that music is far from democratic - certain songs get played to death on all the radio stations because they are pushed by the record company marketing teams - it's literally pile-it-high-sell-it-cheap music - the few big acts are the ones that make the money for the record companies - the Ed Sheerans, Beyonces etc

admittedly that helps the companies support smaller acts but it doesn't mean I have to like the sugary popular stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LDG View Post
    was supposed to be a bit of a dick.
    yes

he was a brilliant mucisian
    no

the boy could play unbelievable guitar.
    yes - unbelievably shite

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mac, you're just being silly and contrarian

Never really liked Prince that much but I respect him as a musician and song-writer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you mean it was music made for and popular with the general masses?

that's no mark of genuine musical integrity or quality

I'm sure you're aware that music is far from democratic - certain songs get played to death on all the radio stations because they are pushed by the record company marketing teams - it's literally pile-it-high-sell-it-cheap music - the few big acts are the ones that make the money for the record companies - the Ed Sheerans, Beyonces etc

admittedly that helps the companies support smaller acts but it doesn't mean I have to like the sugary popular stuff

I personally couldn’t give a fuck whether a song or an artist is popular or not, the important thing is whether I like it

Most modern chart music is in my mind shite because it all sounds the same. But it’s all subjective anyway, plus music like films is a business and record labels are in the business of pushing what they think will sell.

Id argue there’s more of a democratisation to music now because bands can upload their own material and market their own product far more than they ever used to be able to.

I’ve never been a fan of Prince but I think it’s fair to say he was a good artist whether you’re a fan of his or not…..it’s clear there was a talent to him which made the industry push him on the consumer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mac, you're just being silly and contrarian
    no i'm not he's one of the most overrated artists of all time - i have ears and i can hear

The truth is most people's knowledge of music is pretty limited, precisely because most radio stations collectively play less than 0.000001% of music ever made.

My shelves are stacked with CDs by people you've never heard of but of whose music i'd rather listen to 1 second of rather than than a whole song by someone like Ponce

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have ears and i can hear
    Wow. What an amazing, unique ability you have there. Well I guess that ends this discussion.

Music is subjective, dude.
    And one can not particularly enjoy someone's output while recognising they clearly have talent.
    Which is pretty much where I am with Prince. I'm not a huge fan but recognise he was clearly a talented musician and composer.
    If you're one of those people who thinks you're "cool" because you don't like mainstream music then grow up, ffs.

Although, while we're here, there's a bloke in NY who is basically a glorified busker. I've got a few of his albums and one of them is one a favourite of mine (although, annoyingly, I have lost it, I think I lent it to someone and didn't get it back). He's called David Ippolito and the album is called Common Ground. Would recommend. I basically agree that there is a lot of talent out there from people who will never make it big.