User Tag List

Page 3180 of 3204 FirstFirst ... 21802680308031303170317831793180318131823190 ... LastLast
Results 31,791 to 31,800 of 32037

Thread: "Currants Bw..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To clarify, by "remaining brexiteers who still love him," I meant people who both still support Brexit and still love Johnson. Not that people who support Brexit or would vote to stay out are a small number.
    You used to be everything to me
    Now you're tired of fighting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WMUG View Post
    To clarify, by "remaining brexiteers who still love him," I meant people who both still support Brexit and still love Johnson. Not that people who support Brexit or would vote to stay out are a small number.
    In fairness my response should have been to the conspiracy theorist who stated about public opinion turning against Brexit

Which it is in a way, but it’s not the same as a desire to rejoin.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HCZ_Reborn View Post
    In fairness my response should have been to the conspiracy theorist who stated about public opinion turning against Brexit

Which it is in a way, but it’s not the same as a desire to rejoin.
    The point wasn't so much about rejoining the point was Johnson is a narcissist with no political convictions other than what will advance himself, taking and running with a completely opposing position to gain power again is something I can see him doing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah but as HCZ says thinking leaving was wrong does not necessarily translate to support for rejoin, especially when the € issue comes up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    Hard to argue with any of that tbf
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wengerbabies View Post
    He's supposed to be getting a GB News show, I like the channel in general but won't watch that charlatan.
    I'm surprised you like GB News tbh.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah but as HCZ says thinking leaving was wrong does not necessarily translate to support for rejoin, especially when the € issue comes up.
    It doesn't, and it's an interesting distinction.
    But it always seemed bonkers to me that we as a country would make a policy decision the effects of which (for good or ill) will last generations based on a one off snapshot of public option (and, let's face it, a very poorly educated public). Especially on an issue where the result was so close and on another day we'd probably have got a different result. Opinion was swinging all over the place at the time.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm surprised you like GB News tbh.
    I wouldn't argue with the fact that you do

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But it always seemed bonkers to me that we as a country would make a policy decision the effects of which (for good or ill) will last generations based on a one off snapshot of public option (and, let's face it, a very poorly educated public). Especially on an issue where the result was so close and on another day we'd probably have got a different result. Opinion was swinging all over the place at the time.
    Indeed. The vote doesn't seem that long ago but come summer no one 26 or under would have even had a say on a decision that has and will continue to define their lives. Not to mention how many leave voters are now dead, simply excluding them and not accounting for the <26 and you'd still likely get a different result.

Really should have been a super-majority.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Government was never legally bound to implement the results of the referendum. It was essentially a plebiscite designed to gather public opinion with the promise that they would implement the decision. This is not me saying they should have ignored the result, no government could or should have done any such thing. But it was MPs voting in the commons to trigger Article 50 that started Brexit.
    Plus In 2017 a majority of the population voted for parties that promised to uphold the referendum, and in 2019 the Tories won a commons majority on an election that was held as a de-facto referendum on its withdrawal agreement, so it’s probably fair to say Brexit was more than just a one off snapshot of public opinion.
    Last edited by HCZ_Reborn; 22-02-2024 at 11:54 AM.