Page 3201 of 3202 FirstFirst ... 220127013101315131913199320032013202 LastLast
Results 32,001 to 32,010 of 32018

Thread: "Currants Bw..."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HCZ_Reborn View Post
    The point is that to pray during the school day means you are requiring special treatment
    There's plenty of precedent for that sort of thing.
    Again, there's a difference between compelling religious participation and permitting it.
    That said, I've read a bit more about this case and the school was permitting it until it was felt that a group of students praying in the playground was causing disruption and division.

I don’t believe the state should cater for religion in anyway
    You'll be unsurprised to hear I disagree. It's pretty common for workplaces to make "reasonable adjustments" to meet staff needs.
    We have a multi-faith room here (but this is a pretty woke, lefty organisation). I might even be a legal requirement for workplaces to do stuff like this but I'm no expert here. I guess the question is what is reasonable. I wouldn't expect any workplace or school to allow animal slaughter to pander to that. But having a space for someone to quietly pray, and allowing them to do that. I don't see what harm that does. The issue in this school seems to have been a large group which was thought to be disruptive. And apparently Islam does allow for people to "make up" prayers they missed. So, overall, I can see the girl's point but I think the school probably got this right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    There's plenty of precedent for that sort of thing.
    Again, there's a difference between compelling religious participation and permitting it.
    That said, I've read a bit more about this case and the school was permitting it until it was felt that a group of students praying in the playground was causing disruption and division.

You'll be unsurprised to hear I disagree. It's pretty common for workplaces to make "reasonable adjustments" to meet staff needs.
    We have a multi-faith room here (but this is a pretty woke, lefty organisation). I might even be a legal requirement for workplaces to do stuff like this but I'm no expert here. I guess the question is what is reasonable. I wouldn't expect any workplace or school to allow animal slaughter to pander to that. But having a space for someone to quietly pray, and allowing them to do that. I don't see what harm that does. The issue in this school seems to have been a large group which was thought to be disruptive. And apparently Islam does allow for people to "make up" prayers they missed. So, overall, I can see the girl's point but I think the school probably got this right.
    The difference is Adults have freedom of religion, they get to chose what fictitious nonsense they want to believe

Children are inculcated into it. And schools should not encourage that….if the parents think it’s important either take them
    To a country where the religion is part of society’s framework or just don’t tell the children the awful and evil lie that God will punish them for their failure to show him the proper obsequiousness several times a day.

Christianity has had to be de-fanged and diluted, because the Christendom of the medieval age would be unacceptable in today’s society. Islam has regressed into the totalitarian barbarism through the spread of doctrinal Wahhabism. Therefore for there to be any hope of integration, children need to learn to be attenuated from a totally evil faith.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Christianity has had to be de-fanged and diluted
    Again, unsurprisingly, I see it differently.
    The Christianity I've experienced is well aligned with the Gospel teaching, the Christianity which brought us the Crusades does not.
    As I think you've noted, in the middle ages most people didn't actually know what The Bible says anyway, they couldn't read or if they could they couldn't understand Latin.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Again, unsurprisingly, I see it differently.
    The Christianity I've experienced is well aligned with the Gospel teaching, the Christianity which brought us the Crusades does not.
    As I think you've noted, in the middle ages most people didn't actually know what The Bible says anyway, they couldn't read or if they could they couldn't understand Latin.
    I don’t think it’s completely fair to render the Old Testament which calls for genocide and slavery any less part of the Christian framework than gentle Jesus meek and mild.

It’s like those who say Islam is being misinterpreted by people, well it’s not really. Both books call for death to the non believer…and the Conquistadors genuinely considered themselves to be holy men of God, bringing the pacifying effect of the love of the Madonna to the savage world

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don’t think it’s completely fair to render the Old Testament which calls for genocide and slavery any less part of the Christian framework than gentle Jesus meek and mild.
    Why?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why?
    Because obviously the people who produce the Bible think it’s important enough to include both

What I will say for the Old Testament crowd is that they at least left people alone after they died

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because obviously the people who produce the Bible think it’s important enough to include both

What I will say for the Old Testament crowd is that they at least left people alone after they died
    The Old Testament is certainly important, but the whole Bible is an emerging revelation.
    Many of the laws in the Old Testament need to be understood in the cultural context and have been superseded by the New Testament.
    "You have heard it said an eye for an eye, but I say to you..."

And so on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "But as for those enemies of mine who did not want me for their king, bring them here and slay them before me”

Luke 19:27

I’m pretty sure JC doesn’t mean have strong words with them

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's in a parable. He's literally telling a story and those words are from a character in the story

Dude, no offence but you don't know what you're talking about here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's in a parable. He's literally telling a story and those words are from a character in the story

Dude, no offence but you don't know what you're talking about here.

The parable is about how people should behave once he’s departed this world . And that those who reject his kingship are fucked.

Which kind of makes him Kim Il Sung
    Last edited by HCZ_Reborn; 17-04-2024 at 01:41 PM.