User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is the point of it all anyway???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing wrong with football.

If Arsenal weren't shite this thread wouldn't exist.

The King Is Back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FakeYank View Post

I dont think it has anything to do with prices. We are basically run by a smug manager and probably an even cuntier board. In the early nineties, we werent beating all and sundry but from what I hear, we still had the supporters come in. The reason I think that happened was because prices were more reasonable and more importantly, you felt the players gave a damn about trying. With the squad of the last 3 seasons or so, you just dont see the desire and passion in the players. Its like watching a team filled with Berbatov's and Arshavin's... no matter how brilliant they are on their day, supporters relate more to a player like Kuyt, Park, Wilshere who will bust a gut.

If Arsenal starts doing well, I am sure you (LDG) will be back feeling excited about watching them. Hell I am ready to pay top $ to come and watch us play even if we are 15th in the league... all I ask for is some fuckin commitment from the players. I just do not see that and thats why I have no intention of going to a game when I come to London this coming February.

You're right though.
    It's better to burn out, than to fade away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss View Post
    Nothing wrong with football.

If Arsenal weren't shite this thread wouldn't exist.
    That is balls - don't be so dismissive of the OP. There have been similar threads to this in the past along with concern in the way the game it is going.

In my early days following this Club, the results and the football were often painful to watch, but there were heroes and they had a connection with the fans and us with them. That is why there were often Testimonials for players, they stuck with the Club and the Club and its fans wanted to reward and show appreciation for them.

Nowadays I couldn't give a fuck what transient money grabber and his agent comes or goes from the Club.
    If you don’t send this signature to ten people, you will become a Spurs fan.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are a lot of things i dont like about football but i can see TEGs point. If Arsenal were better then i really wouldnt care much about whats going wrong elsewhere.

However we are a bit shite so the things that are wrong are highlighted more.

Money - Chelsea and Man City not having to work at all to get to where they are and having it handed to them

Negative football - Step forward Fat Sam, Teams that set up not to lose rather than to win has infected football and the long ball tactic which the shiteass clubs ie Stoke, Blackburn etc are awful to watch but is lauded by muppet pundits who are the same to critisise when the National team does it

Corruption - FIFA, UEFA, Barcorruptlona, Mancs, latter 2 would be nowhere near as successful if not for the refs and their respective FAs. Sooner they are caught out, the better. I can see people rolling their eyes at this but it happened to Juventus who are as big as Barca if not bigger in terms of trophies

Ticket prices - This can be directed towards Arsenal as i dont go watch any other club as clubs in the PL bore me and lower league football is pub team level.

Wenger - Killed football for me. All the BS he has spouted, the failed project, making Arsenal a laughing stock and so much more has arguably made me turn off football than all of the above.

In short, Wenger just fuck off

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apart from the petulant bit towards the end, Ach's post sums it up well.

Football is an absolute farce.

Tennis .

Bowls .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LDG View Post
    IHow do people really feel??
    I don't think we'll ever get 'non-commercial' football now. As GB said above, testimonials are becoming less and less common because footballers at the top level treat it like anyone would treat a job...they'll stick with the club as long as they can't do any better...as soon as they can, they're off. I don't blame them. They're foreigners - why would they have any connection with the club? With higher ticket prices (it's not just Arsenal, it's everyone bar the lower leagues), football is becoming less of a family thing.

I've basically grown out of it. The only way I can see myself getting excited about football (and Arsenal) again is if, in a couple of seasons time, we have slid down the table, become a mid-table (or worse) side with a new manager that adds some personalities to the team - a good mix of local players with some self-respect, pride and real mental strength (not the Wenger kind). The only 'personalities' in the squad right now are: RVP, Wilshere, Chesney. 3 players out of 20 odd. 1 or 2 of them are usually dead anyway. We need a squad of personalities - players that want the ball and will fight to make something happen. Wilshere's performance in the CC final last year was the only memorable Arsenal player performances of recent years (memorable for the right reasons, of course...or else Almunia has a collection of them).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me Wenger is a big part of why I don't enjoy it anymore, his policies, his lies, the dum style of football he adopted 6 years ago, the types of players he's been signing in that period, the blind faith, the failure to acknowledge obvious flaws, the excuses, the getting f*cked up the arse by player after player and still never learning etc etc

The board are also a big reason, IMO they just take the p*ss, their blatant disregard for what the fans care about is not unlike what some might say commonplace in football, I don't know many clubs where the fans are basically told to like it or lump it when they're paying large amounts and not only signing noone of note but achieving no success on the pitch.

Ultimately though Wenger has indulged them and he's the one that built the team and has chosen the style and tactics (if they indeed exists at all in Wenger world), might have been a good manager once upon a time but nowadays he's living on reputation...some people still see him as some sort of messiah but I have nothing to thank him for, after all he's runined my enjoyment of the game I once loved and thus I have no respect for him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsMe View Post
    For me Wenger is a big part of why I don't enjoy it anymore, his policies, his lies, the dum style of football he adopted 6 years ago, the types of players he's been signing in that period, the blind faith, the failure to acknowledge obvious flaws, the excuses, the getting f*cked up the arse by player after player and still never learning etc etc

The board are also a big reason, IMO they just take the p*ss, their blatant disregard for what the fans care about is not unlike what some might say commonplace in football, I don't know many clubs where the fans are basically told to like it or lump it when they're paying large amounts and not only signing noone of note but achieving no success on the pitch.

Ultimately though Wenger has indulged them and he's the one that built the team and has chosen the style and tactics (if they indeed exists at all in Wenger world), might have been a good manager once upon a time but nowadays he's living on reputation...some people still see him as some sort of messiah but I have nothing to thank him for, after all he's runined my enjoyment of the game I once loved and thus I have no respect for him.
    Think the OP was talking about football as a whole not just Arsenal. if wenger has runied your enjoyment in the game then you really need to get our more. However if he as runied your enjoyment in Arsenal then fair enough. there is plenty of football to enjoy still it may not be arsenal but its footie.

from your frustation your more fan or Arsenal then football itsself if that makes sense.
    Last edited by Olivier's xmas twist; 06-10-2011 at 11:46 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GB. View Post
    That is balls - don't be so dismissive of the OP. There have been similar threads to this in the past along with concern in the way the game it is going.

In my early days following this Club, the results and the football were often painful to watch, but there were heroes and they had a connection with the fans and us with them. That is why there were often Testimonials for players, they stuck with the Club and the Club and its fans wanted to reward and show appreciation for them.

Nowadays I couldn't give a fuck what transient money grabber and his agent comes or goes from the Club.
    Not really balls. The day football 'died' for most should have been in 1992/93 when the PL was formed but no one complained then because we were still one of the top guns.

Posts seen on GW have all been after Arsenal started getting shite (2006 onwards) so 'similar threads' don't really have much merit. Although I was very young when I used 606, I don't remember much complaining about how much football was changing etc etc when we we winning stuff. We were still getting outbid for top players and there was still a shitload of money in the game (mainly due to Man U, Real Madrid, Barcelona and the Milan clubs - RM pretty much got their stadium for free and everyone remembers Man U mega spending on Veron, Ferdinand, RVN and later Rooney) and there was still financial doping, it's just on a much more exposed level now.

As for testimonials, again it's all about people getting nostalgic. We don't have testimonials because players don't stay at clubs for ten years anymore; more importantly Arsenal players in particular don't have testimonials because Arsenal don't win trophies so they can't be bothered to stick around. Winning breeds 'heroes' and a 'connection with the fans', don't think many on here worshipped players in the 60s and 50s when we weren't winning much.

Testimonials in the modern game that will happen soon: Terry, Lampard, Gerrard, Carragher, Giggs, Ferdinand - that's just the English ones off the top of my head. Testimonials are hardly a commonplace happening in the game, even ten years ago and although we're garbage we could still have testimonials for players like Van Persie / Almunia / Djourou (3 years left) or could have had them for Fabregas / Eboue (8 and 7 years respectively) it's just that no one would want to see them because they haven't really won anything.

Winning changes everything.

The King Is Back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss View Post
    Not really balls. The day football 'died' for most should have been in 1992/93 when the PL was formed but no one complained then because we were still one of the top guns.

Posts seen on GW have all been after Arsenal started getting shite (2006 onwards) so 'similar threads' don't really have much merit. Although I was very young when I used 606, I don't remember much complaining about how much football was changing etc etc when we we winning stuff. We were still getting outbid for top players and there was still a shitload of money in the game (mainly due to Man U, Real Madrid, Barcelona and the Milan clubs - RM pretty much got their stadium for free and everyone remembers Man U mega spending on Veron, Ferdinand, RVN and later Rooney) and there was still financial doping, it's just on a much more exposed level now.

As for testimonials, again it's all about people getting nostalgic. We don't have testimonials because players don't stay at clubs for ten years anymore; more importantly Arsenal players in particular don't have testimonials because Arsenal don't win trophies so they can't be bothered to stick around. Winning breeds 'heroes' and a 'connection with the fans', don't think many on here worshipped players in the 60s and 50s when we weren't winning much.

Testimonials in the modern game that will happen soon: Terry, Lampard, Gerrard, Carragher, Giggs, Ferdinand - that's just the English ones off the top of my head. Testimonials are hardly a commonplace happening in the game, even ten years ago and although we're garbage we could still have testimonials for players like Van Persie / Almunia / Djourou (3 years left) or could have had them for Fabregas / Eboue (8 and 7 years respectively) it's just that no one would want to see them because they haven't really won anything.

Winning changes everything.
    Do you see that paragraph in bold?

Stick the money element in that para as well and that illustrates my point exactly and demonstrates that the football I got into changed immeasurably from the one you got into.

The change has not been for the better.

I've hated footballers and their sleazeball agents and what they have been doing to the game for well over 10 years and have been pretty fucking consistant about that.

This game needs a fucking financial implosion to sort itself out - but that is never going to happen.
    If you don’t send this signature to ten people, you will become a Spurs fan.