User Tag List

Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 21293031

Thread: Match Reaction - Arsenal vs Sunderland

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Convenient amnesia for fans as well. I doubt it will happen while Wenger is still manager. Gazidis has said he isn't opposed to outside investment, we just have to compete against it. In a few years, if we find ourselves slipping further down the table and losing money, they will adopt a new strategy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FakeYank View Post
    I dont agree with you here but just for the sake of what I am going to ask, I will... lets say what you are saying is absolutely true, why on earth is Arsene Wenger still at the club? You may say that AW respects his contract at every club he has been at... fair enough.. but then why did he even renew his contract? Surely the board stripping the club of its resources didnt just start this season. It probably started 5-6 years back at least. Arsene, with his masters in economics, brilliant knowledge about cash flow wouldve surely been able to figure out that he was in a sinking ship and ANY chance of getting silverware were minimal.

Why did a winner like AW chose to stay back and take part in the seasonal stripping of our club? How did a man who has a say in pretty much everything the club does or has done just gone into being a wet kitten in the rain? Arsene Wenger, if he had chosen not to renew his contract wouldve easily walked into any top job (specifically Madrid) without any fuss but guess what he had to say about joining Madrid? He said he would not join a club where he does not have control over footballing matters.. so if that logic applies, why is he still with us?

These are all the monetary aspects.. what about the continuous mind baffling decisions on the field? Lets take the defense of the 06 CL team that reached the final creating a world record: Senderos (2.5 mill), Eboue (1 mill), Kolo (150K), Flamini (1 million). How did this bunch of nobodies create that defensive record? Martin Keown- a defensive coach. Dont tell me the board is stopping Arsene from getting a defensive coach!! Look at our defense as of last season- Kos (10 mill), Clichy (250k), DJ (free), Sagna (6 mill).. they cost 4 times the defense of 06 and probably shipped 4 times the amount of goals as well!

What about Arsene Wenger continually playing players out of position? Remember games where Diaby played on the left? Eduardo, Vela, Bendy on the wings? Do you think Stan calls Arsene from Missouri pressurizing him to play these players out of position? What about our formation of 4-3-3? Sure, its an average formation when we have a world class player like RVP down the middle but what happens when he is injured? Chakma as lone striker... Why not switch it to 4-4-2 with 2 strikers up front? Stan or PHW does not make these decisions!

How about last season or a few seasons back when we were one CB/GK away from being close to winning the league? Board wouldve surely sanctioned 10-15 million quid for us to buy a decent GK/CB if that meant winning the title and then making hay out of the profits of winning the PL. A greedy man surely knows when to invest.. they have not turned billionaires without investing or taking a risk once in a while. Stan might be an asshole and wanting to make the most of buying out Arsenal.. if thats the case, he would surely like to have the opportunity to sell 'Arsenal FC- English PL Champions' rather than 'AFC- 10th position in PL'!

And finally an opportunity that I think we missed a couple of seasons back... that was to re-sign Vieira. He wasnt the Vieira of 2005 but he was still better than Denilson and Diaby put together and think of what he couldve done in the dressing room. If I am not wrong, thats the same season where we stayed in the title hunt right till we fucked up in March, lost to Wigan 3-2 after leading 2-0 until 85th minute etc. Think of what PV4 couldve done as an assistant in the coaching staff at AFC now... or may be AW does not want a personality like PV4 around him. Why have a winner like PV4 who very likely would question his methods and tactics.. is a safer bet!
    TBH I dont think anyone disagreed with you with regards to who is to blame for what goes on on the pitch, formation, tactics, players out of position. I think only a fool would think that the board had anything to do with this.

I think where people feel the board the board are to blame is for the continued decline to be accepted/ignored under the same manager. As the employer of a failing project we would like to think that the board hold the club in more high esteem and address this problem. The fact that they are not leads some yo vent at this body.
    However another argument against the board and one that may be Wengers saviour is that he in fact is meeting criteria laid down by his employers and by achieving certsin goals ie racking in the cash, he may be considered to be doing a job well done.

For the fans this is as if we are being taken the piss out of, ad our criteria is for our team to win games and ultimately trophies.

I for one do think Wenger throws games so that we dont overachieve ie third instead of fourth and do not doubt for a minute that his power is immense but he csnt sack himself and his stubborn nature shows he wont be inclined to walk either.
    So yes Wenger is to blame for sub par performances and the board for accepting them just so they can line their pockets.