User Tag List

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: if AW spends big and we get a torres, what happens?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if AW spends big and we get a torres, what happens?

not sure if i have seen this dicussed before on the old site, but what happens if wenger goes out, spends a fuck load of money on big names, parkers, cahills etc etc and they all fail like torres did? will you jump up and down on his back screaming at him cos he failed again or would you be content that at least he spent the money.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not gonna happen, this is Wenger we're talking about!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "man you could bring Bernard King on here"...

Doesnt matter who we sign, until the fundamental issues with the playing style are addressed we will fail
    Last edited by Flavs; 24-05-2011 at 11:53 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd be content that he showed he is willing to change his approach, if he still fails then I'd just accept that he probably doesn't have it in him anymore to succeed. There are no guarantees to whatever method you use, we put balancing the books first every summer but that hasn't done us any good on the pitch, so I don't see much harm in maybe spending a bit more within reason, that's all I and most Wenger critics ask. No one is asking to go and spend ridiculous amounts on stars and their wages, I don't think I'd be comfortable with that. I just want Wenger to move in line with the modern transfer market and be prepared to pay if he wants to land some established quality.
    Last edited by Marc Overmars; 24-05-2011 at 11:49 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think he ought first to announce changes to the back room staff. Defensive coach etc. Like MO says, it's the approach first and foremost.

Yes, players can suppliment the squad, and yes they are needed....but if we're going to adopt the same failed philosophy, it doesn't matter how many players you buy. The fundemental basics will still be left to chance.
    It's better to burn out, than to fade away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ollie the optimist View Post
    not sure if i have seen this dicussed before on the old site, but what happens if wenger goes out, spends a fuck load of money on big names, parkers, cahills etc etc and they all fail like torres did? will you jump up and down on his back screaming at him cos he failed again or would you be content that at least he spent the money.
    or the more likely situation we'll have awesome new players who will win us the league.
    Old GW:
    Total Cumulative Posts 4,487 ( 0.23% of total forum posts )
    Joined 23-August 06

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The ideal solution would be for Wenger to resign (not re-sign, just in case they try to pull that stunt) and a manager who knows and cares about the fundamentals, such as defending, set pieces, etc, comes in and spends the money. We could sign Utd's back five and Wenger wouldn't have the first clue what to do with them.

It has been 6 years waiting for Wenger to correct the basic problems that kick us in the arse season after season. I'm sensing that some are already buying into the, "next year it will be better, next year we have a chance", illusion. If we stick with Wenger we are guaranteed a repeat of the last 6 years. Just saying. Everyone knows what's wrong except Wenger and Wenger is still living in some fantasy zone where he believes this team can compete. You have to weigh the evidence against Wenger's ongoing denials. When you do that the outcome is predetermined. Wenger won't changed so the club needs to change Wenger and the only way that will happen is if he's not here any more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ollie the optimist View Post
    I think that the responses to your question give a pretty good idea of the answer your question. It will make no difference whether the high priced players do well or not, Wenger is to blame.
    While all answers are responses, not all responses are answers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It means nothing. If he doesn't lose interest like Arshavin, he'll probably get injured for 6 months and we'll be back to where we were. The reason the top player would 'fail' would be down to the manager. It's not some random process that determines whether a player does well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toronto Gooner View Post
    I think that the responses to your question give a pretty good idea of the answer your question. It will make no difference whether the high priced players do well or not, Wenger is to blame.
    I am sorry TG, with all due respect that is utter bollocks. As I have said time and again -- if you put even messi in this team he will give up after a season. Why? because the entire set-up and system with WENGER is broken and has taken us as afr as it can. Vieira saw it coming and he got fed up; Henry saw it coming and he got fed up. Fabregas has seen it too and he wants to fuc*k off too. So who is to blame? Wenger!

He could inherit the real madrid team and they will defend like muppets unless their backline is already grilled and drilled like the one he inherited when he first got here.

So if signing torres,ronaldo,kaka,messi eyc doesn't solve the problem then the blame will still lie solely at wenger's feet. As ancelotti and he will tell you that.