User Tag List

Thread: RIP Jimmy Savile

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RIP Jimmy Savile

Former DJ, TV presenter and charity fundraiser Sir Jimmy Savile has died, aged 84.
    Savile, who was one of the most famous names on British TV and radio in the 1960s, 70s and 80s, died on Saturday.
    Police said they were called to his home in Leeds, but that there was nothing suspicious about his death.
    His family programme, Jim'll Fix It, drew in huge audiences and the programme received 20,000 letters a week at the height of its popularity.
    A West Yorkshire Police spokesman said officers were called to the house in Roundhay at 12:10 BST.
    Details of how he died were not yet known, but he was recently in hospital with pneumonia.
    Broadcaster Tony Blackburn said Sir Jimmy was embraced by everybody, and was "always just Jimmy Savile".
    "He was just a complete one-off. I think he was a bit of a lonely character as well. In the privacy of his own life I don't think he had very many friends."
    He added: "I've never known anyone quite like him. He was a blunt speaking Northerner, but also kind and very respectful."
    Presenter Dave Lee Travis told Sky News: "We are all going to be worse off without him around."
    Prince Charles has also praised Sir Jimmy in a statement released by Clarence House: "The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall are saddened to hear of Jimmy Savile's death and their thoughts are with his family at this time," it said.
    Savile started out as a DJ on BBC Radio 1 and was the first host of Top of the Pops in 1964.
    He also appeared on the music show's final edition in 2006.
    Charity fundraiser
    His TV persona included chunky gold jewellery, a huge cigar, his trademark snowy white hair and a number of catch-phrases which were frequently parodied by impressionists such as Mike Yarwood.
    Born in Leeds, West Yorkshire, Savile was conscripted as a Bevin Boy, working in the coal mines during the war.
    But he was one of the country's first DJs in the 1950s and began his broadcasting career at Radio Luxembourg before moving to the BBC.
    Off screen he did a lot of charity work, running 200 marathons and raising £40m over the years.
    He was a volunteer at the hospital and ran more than 200 marathons for various charitable organisations.
    Sir Jimmy raised £20m for the creation of the National Spinal Injuries Centre at Stoke Mandeville Hospital in Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, in 1983 after a storm damaged wooden huts which had housed spinal cord injury patients.
    A spokeswoman for Buckinghamshire Healthcare NHS Trust, which runs the hospital, said Sir Jimmy would be missed by staff and patients, adding: "He was tireless in his attempts to fundraise for the hospital and was integral in the creation of the National Spinal Injuries Centre that we have today."
    Savile was knighted by the Queen in 1990 for his charity work.
    RIP Sir Jim you'll be missed
    "I really like Arsenal. Do you really like Arsenal, or only Arsenal with trophies?" - Dennis Bergkamp.
    "Which Arsenal do they want back, the one Arsene created?" - Tony Adams.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Broadcaster Tony Blackburn said Sir Jimmy was embraced by everybody
    I can definitely say that is not true. At least one didn't.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Olivier's xmas twist View Post
    RIP Sir Jim you'll be missed

This has aged well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How bored are you Letters to be going through old threads

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ollie the Optimist View Post
    How bored are you Letters to be going through old threads

Leave me alone. I'm looking for something

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well at least we know Saville doesn't have anything to do with the BBC online Teaching programe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RIP Jimmy Savile

Quote Originally Posted by Coney View Post
    I can definitely say that is not true. At least one didn't.
    Coney, right in there trashing the dead who can’t defend themselves.
    If you don’t send this signature to ten people, you will become a Spurs fan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post

Leave me alone. I'm looking for something
    Don't tell me, you're looking for the thread where NQ said Trump was a liar and YouTube was full of nutters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac76 View Post
    Don't tell me, you're looking for the thread where NQ said Trump was a liar and YouTube was full of nutters
    NQDS, even worse than TDS.
    Für eure Sicherheit