User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Are Northerners more friendly than Southerners?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syn View Post
    I think the more affluent the area the less friendly people are - in the sense that people keep to themselves.

London has become less of friendly/polite place because of the numbers of immigrants. Many can't speak English and even those that do, they are much less prone to acts of kindness or courtesy (e.g. giving up a seat on the tube for an old woman).

So I guess it is a 'political North' thing; I've found Portsmouth - though not in the North - to be probably the best place in the UK in terms of how friendly people are. Peterborough/Ely's another one with a fantastic community feel.

I am a fan of common courtesy/politeness. I always keep up my end of convention - holding doors, 'good mornings' and so on, and I really think everyone should.
    I agree - I think that humans can be desensitised by their environment. So you might get a small town person coming to a big city who soon finds that their attempts at friendliness are shunned, so ends up keeping to themselves. Mind you my experience - coming from a small place to London - is that if you are friendly to others here they are friendly back. Can definitely be a vicious, or virtuous circle.
    Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think its just the fact that most people in London are trying to get somewhere as fast and hassle free as they can, same goes in New York and Paris IMO

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the more affluent the area the less friendly people are - in the sense that people keep to themselves.

London has become less of friendly/polite place because of the numbers of immigrants. Many can't speak English and even those that do, they are much less prone to acts of kindness or courtesy (e.g. giving up a seat on the tube for an old woman).

So I guess it is a 'political North' thing; I've found Portsmouth - though not in the North - to be probably the best place in the UK in terms of how friendly people are. Peterborough/Ely's another one with a fantastic community feel.

I am a fan of common courtesy/politeness. I always keep up my end of convention - holding doors, 'good mornings' and so on, and I really think everyone should.
    I think in general there is a lack of courtesy - not holding doors open or (what really pisses me off) when I do I often don't get a thank you, giving up seats as you say.

But - London is a very friendly town and I don't care what anybody says. I regularly chat to people, get smiled at etc. Have lived in many other cities (including near Ely which was one of the most racist places at the time I ever lived though I don't get much of that now) and either found no difference or that the people are less friendly.

A certain amount of what I get back comes from me though, I'm friendly and it generally bounces back I find.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Flavs View Post
    What?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Knock on flavs front door at 2.00 am and you'll probably find out

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry View Post
    Knock on flavs front door at 2.00 am and you'll probably find out
    Cant northerners afford doorbells then?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Flavs View Post
    I think its just the fact that most people in London are trying to get somewhere as fast and hassle free as they can, same goes in New York and Paris IMO
    I find New York quite unfriendly

Found the complete opposite when I went to Paris for the first time in September. very nice people - I imagine me speaking French helped a bit but overall very friendly.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Went to America to visit cousins. Walked around the block once and had these people saying hello to me.

Strange cunts. I was brought up to not talk to strangers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What?
    The Daily Heil belief and subtle WUMming

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've found NY friendlier than London tbh. I'm quite a 'keep myself to myself' kind of person - classic serial killer type, you know.
    But more people spontaneously spoke chatted to me in NY than ever have here.