Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Match Reaction v Borussia Dortmund

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Power_n_Glory View Post
    He works hard but who doesn't?
    Most of the Arsenal team for the past few years?

Experienced guys like Arteta, Mertesacker and even Santos can have a positive effect on younger players if they lead by example. Even regulars like Song, RVP and Walcott have taken their tracking back and defensive play more seriously this season and it also seems to have had a noticeable effect in lifting their overall game to another level.

Wilshere is a better player than Arteta (and pretty much every midfielder in England) but he still has silly moments of inexperience and would probably not slow the game down and take the sting out of opponents' flow as well. Arteta hasn't been spectacular; I thought he was far too inhibited in his early games for us. But he has grown game by game and has barely put a foot wrong defensively. If his presence continues to lead to good results, why should he not be in the team? Rather than focus on him not being Fabregas or Wilshere, why not focus on what he does well? People wanted a change in the team, and Arteta is a positive part of that. We might not be playing consistently beautiful football, but we're getting results. As the team improves, the football will too. And that could be with Wilshere alongside Arteta.

Wenger seems to agree too: http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-arc...-us-more-solid
    Last edited by Master Splinter; 25-11-2011 at 05:14 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I keep a close eye on him every game and I think he's overrated by Arsenal fans. The older players have a positive effect on team morale, can't deny that.

As for Wenger, he's probably right, but he'll defend his team selection. When Arshavin was under fire, he justified his selection to the press and fans as well.

Playere like Merts, Santos, Walcott, Gervinho...get pulled on the mistakes they make but Arteta gets a pass for some reason even though he can be just as guilty. Giving the ball away, losing possession in a dangerous area, bad positioning....not a word is said. I'll keep a close eye on him in the next game but I can't see what all the fuss is about.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hymppi View Post
    good win.
    please, play youngsters in the next cl match. good experience for them and it doesn't matter what the outcome is.
    It depends who we named in the 25 man squad. We will definitely rotate but i don't think it will be a team of Carling cup splendour. Diaby, Rosicky and the Coq should start in midfield though

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Splinter View Post
    Most of the Arsenal team for the past few years?

Experienced guys like Arteta, Mertesacker and even Santos can have a positive effect on younger players if they lead by example. Even regulars like Song, RVP and Walcott have taken their tracking back and defensive play more seriously this season and it also seems to have had a noticeable effect in lifting their overall game to another level.

Wilshere is a better player than Arteta (and pretty much every midfielder in England) but he still has silly moments of inexperience and would probably not slow the game down and take the sting out of opponents' flow as well. Arteta hasn't been spectacular; I thought he was far too inhibited in his early games for us. But he has grown game by game and has barely put a foot wrong defensively. If his presence continues to lead to good results, why should he not be in the team? Rather than focus on him not being Fabregas or Wilshere, why not focus on what he does well? People wanted a change in the team, and Arteta is a positive part of that. We might not be playing consistently beautiful football, but we're getting results. As the team improves, the football will too. And that could be with Wilshere alongside Arteta.
    :goodpost:

You "literally" cant understate the importance Arteta has had on the team so far.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Playere like Merts, Santos, Walcott, Gervinho...get pulled on the mistakes they make but Arteta gets a pass for some reason even though he can be just as guilty. Giving the ball away, losing possession in a dangerous area, bad positioning....not a word is said. I'll keep a close eye on him in the next game but I can't see what all the fuss is about.
    Maybe you're just being selective?

A lot of people have criticised Arteta during games (he was giving away too many free-kicks, but has stopped that now), including me. Most non-schizophrenic posters on here are pretty fair with their praise and criticism for players.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I keep a close eye on him every game and I think he's overrated by Arsenal fans. The older players have a positive effect on team morale, can't deny that.

As for Wenger, he's probably right, but he'll defend his team selection. When Arshavin was under fire, he justified his selection to the press and fans as well.

i think we all keep a close eye on the players during games and i'm not sure he's being overrated. sure, if people were saying that he has been dynamite and the team leader then i'd agree but a vast majority are saying he's helped steady the ship, he's done the basics very well and solidified the midfield.

there really isn't that much fuss being made about him, he's just put in a consistent seven rating pretty much every game which is what our team needed.