PDA

View Full Version : Benayoun - keep him, he's good

Syn
09-12-2011, 01:43 PM
Having spent much of last season sidelined at Stamford Bridge with injury, the midfielder would be well within his rights to be a little miffed at his current circumstances. However, demonstrating a level of maturity worthy of a man with nearly six years of experience in England the 31-year-old explained (http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/-they-say-you-don-t-change-a-winning-team-):

“[I am not frustrated] because the team is playing well. They say you don’t change a winning team and we are on a good run so it is very difficult to get into the team.
“The only thing I can do is to wait for any chance I get – it doesn’t matter if it is 15 minutes or I get to start. I have to prove myself any chance I get and I am sure I can do it.
“You come here and you know there is a lot of quality so you want to prove yourself.
“I think in the beginning I started against Dortmund away and played more but then I had a little injury and then the team won three games in a row. This is normal in football that you have to wait for a chance.
“Hopefully the team will keep doing well and maybe I will be more involved. Every player wants to play more, of course, but I know I have to be patient.”
Reacting to suggestions that he could move to the Gunners on a permanent basis at the end of the season, Benayoun made also made clear (http://www.setanta.com/ie/Articles/2011/12/08/Midfielder-eyes-new-Gunners-deal/gnid-120943/?)that his immediate focus was on his loan performances.
“I can only concentrate on the loan and we will see at the end of the season. Arsenal have the option to take me for the rest of my contract with Chelsea, another two years, but it’s too early to speak about this.”

http://news.arseblog.com/2011/12/patient-benayoun-eager-to-prove-his-worth/

I didn't know we had the option to have him beyond this season.

Seems he wants to play more. Scored a decent goal the other day. Solid player.

We need quality experience like Rosicky and Benayoun to play their tippy tappy garbage when protecting a lead.

No-brainer to take him full-time, yes?

Make it so, Arsene.

Master Splinter
09-12-2011, 02:36 PM
We should set up a sticky Benayoun thread for Syn.

Almost as disturbing as NQ's love for Chamakh.

Kano
09-12-2011, 02:43 PM
good, solid squad player. comes on, does nothing stupid, passes well and works hard.

Syn
09-12-2011, 02:47 PM
Benayoun has been an Arsenal legend since the hilarious final day of the 2005/6 season.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2vXqUSitnA

Japan Shaking All Over
10-12-2011, 06:32 AM
Worth considering. . . .I dont come over all sweaty when he comes on. . . .but I dont expect him to change the course of the game either. . .should look at the options available come the end of the season. . .one thing for sure is that he wont get a game for Chelsea anymore

IBK
10-12-2011, 10:01 AM
He's fine. Doesn't have the ability to lift the kids, but can look after himself. Happy to have him here.

Dog Toffee
10-12-2011, 03:59 PM
He's a poor mans Hleb, which means he's a rich mans ermm.

selassie
12-12-2011, 11:06 AM
I actually think he's done quite well TBH. I like him, I wouldn't mind him staying for another season, maybe a 1 year deal or something like that.

Fist of Lehmann
12-12-2011, 12:14 PM
If we do take up the option to buy I think we have to take up the full length of his current contract with Chelsea, and that'll be another 2 years on the end of this one.

He sounds pretty non-committal, going out of his way to point out his 'love' for Chelsea.

Arsenal have the option at the end of the season to take over the final two years of Benayoun's Chelsea contract but he said he did not want to discuss longer-term issues.

"I am professional and the only thing that I concentrate on now is the success of Arsenal," he said. "I want only Arsenal to do well and our aim is to go to the top four, at least, and maybe on the way, try to win a trophy, maybe the FA Cup. I cannot say I am not bothered about Chelsea because I love the club, I have a good relationship with the owner, with the players ... and I still have a contract there. Of course, I want them to do well but I concentrate on Arsenal."

Decent player, great technique, clever too. He probably is a bit unlucky not to score more minutes but at the moment the problem is fitting him in. Might prove his worth playing on the left once Gervinho buggers off to the ACoN, or when we need to rotate over the Xmas pressure period.

Happy if he stays, not unhappy if he goes.

Marc Overmars
12-12-2011, 12:37 PM
Seems like a good pro, not one to kick up a fuss if things aren't going his way. A good option to have in the squad I think. Much like Arteta, in that they are already battle hardened from their time before Arsenal, which is exactly the type of signings we needed to bolster the squad. As good as Wenger is at developing players, we needed a few players who won't necessarily be moulded by his influence.

fakeyank
12-12-2011, 04:35 PM
I will be damned if we sign a player with such limited abilities permanently!! Havent we learnt from our mistakes with Chakma, Rosicky etc? Hell, lets buy someone with some sort of ability! I think we should send him out on loan rather than Coq or Deench man... yea, it'd be funny.. loaning a loanee! :lol:

Master Splinter
12-12-2011, 06:54 PM
If you think Bennayoun has no ability, you've probably never seen him play.

Shaqiri Is Boss
12-12-2011, 06:58 PM
Benayoun has ability, just is nowhere near consistent enough. Good squad option but nothing more.

Cripps_orig
12-12-2011, 07:04 PM
Nothing player.

When he goes, we wont realise it and if he stays, we wont know.

Does nothing good or bad. Arguably the most pointless player of all time. Cant critisise him for being shit cos he never is. Cant praise for him being good cos he never is

fakeyank
12-12-2011, 10:22 PM
If you think Bennayoun has no ability, you've probably never seen him play.

He had 'some' ability 4-5 years back. No good anymore. Refer to Ach's post above for exact description of YB.

Master Splinter
12-12-2011, 10:28 PM
I'd rather refer to the post above Ach's, which is closer to the reality.

If he was our £10-£15m big summer signing, you'd have a point.

He's a useful, experienced squad player though and I see little reason for anyone with sense to complain.

Marc Overmars
12-12-2011, 10:33 PM
Pretty much.

I don't see him staying though, I think he could probably get a better deal elsewhere. Not really fussed anyway, good to have him available this year, we'll see what happens in the summer.

Niall_Quinn
12-12-2011, 10:45 PM
He's good at chasing the ball and one day he may even catch it. The busiest player in the league, not that his hustle ever results in much. Solid enough second stringer.

Flavs
14-12-2011, 03:02 PM
He's a poor mans Hleb, which means he's a rich mans ermm. Ermm has never been the same since his hamstring trouble tbf

Syn
21-12-2011, 10:06 PM
Right place, right time again. Gritty character.

The header was sweeped in.

Guided it in.

Caressed it in with his cranium.

Showed his experience.

We must keep him.

Dennis Bendtner
21-12-2011, 10:24 PM
I like him.

Him as a matchwinning impact sub is a bit of an aberration.

But in these tough away games where you need a solid shift, I think we can rely on him. Not heard of him crying much, despite coming on loan to play. Our Park Ji-Sung. Park Jew-Sung, if you like.

I'd have him for another year.

Kano
21-12-2011, 10:26 PM
if i was him i would think about leaving us and chelsea in the summer.

given his age, he will only ever be a squad player at these clubs, so with only a few years left he has to decide whether or not he wants occasional games at the top level or starting for a mid table club somewhere in europe.

Letters
21-12-2011, 10:38 PM
Na na, na na, na na, na na, na na na
Yossi Benayoun, Benayoun
Yossi Benayoun

etc.

tigerthesmurf85
22-12-2011, 05:53 PM
Na na, na na, na na, na na, na na na
Yossi Benayoun, Benayoun
Yossi Benayoun

etc.

:cheers:

Marc Overmars
22-12-2011, 07:22 PM
He deserves a chance to start in the league IMO, perfect opportunity over Christmas against the pub teams. You could see last night how much the goal meant to him, he's been patient enough now.

Cripps_orig
12-04-2012, 05:23 PM
Yossi Benayoun plans to discuss his future with Chelsea when he returns from a season-long loan with Arsenal in July.

The 31-year-old has spent this season on loan at the Emirates, making 16 appearances and netting twice including a goal in Wednesday night’s 3-0 victory away at Wolves.

However, the Israeli international is unsure of his future and admits he will have to discuss it with his parent club upon his return.

He told The Evening Standard: "I think it is difficult to speak now about the future.

"It is better to concentrate on the five weeks that are left and do my best for the club. I am fully committed to Arsenal and after we will see.

"After June 30, I am going back to Chelsea and then the club and I need to decide. Each one has to think what is best for them.”

Benayoun, who only made eight appearances for Chelsea, admitted that he holds the west London club dear and wants to contribute to success at Stamford Bridge.

"I will not lie, I love Chelsea, because I have a good relationship there. I didn't play much, because I had a big injury," he continued.

"I still have a lot of friends there I talk to every day. Of course I want them to do well, but it is difficult."

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2012/04/12/3031726/benayoun-unsure-over-arsenal-future

So hows he done? Should we keep him?

Marc Overmars
12-04-2012, 05:29 PM
Keep him

Our Park Ji-Sung

Cripps_orig
12-04-2012, 05:32 PM
Hes a bit of a pointless player

Doesnt really have bad games or good games. He just has games. Doesnt really excel at anything, isnt really crap at anything.

If keeping him means we dont get another midfielder ala Hazard or Goetze then we shouldnt keep him. If we still add players then keep him

I just read the thread and i said pretty much the same thing few months ago as well :lol:

Marc Overmars
12-04-2012, 05:35 PM
Guess it depends how much the Chavs want for him. Not worth going out of our way for, but I think he's a good option to have in the squad.

Dennis Bendtner
12-04-2012, 05:42 PM
Would've thought it could have been between keeping him or Rosicky. Rosicky's got a new deal so...

With the midfielders coming back from injury he might not play much, and use up a foreign squad place,

Grebbo
12-04-2012, 06:55 PM
Thanks but no thanks.

If we want to challenge for the league then we need better.

We have enough decent midfielders (providing Wilshere isn't dead) and need an amazing one if we are to improve.

The Ogg Monster
12-04-2012, 07:03 PM
Hes a bit of a pointless player

Doesnt really have bad games or good games. He just has games.

Just like you have posts.

Özim
12-04-2012, 07:34 PM
Squad filler really, never really impressed me during his career, not a bad player but at the same time I don't know what he adds to our squad, we can do better than him.

Letters
12-04-2012, 08:35 PM
Just like you have posts.
:lol:

I don't think Benny's anything that special but he's a decent player to have in the squad.

Boss
12-04-2012, 08:59 PM
Decent as a squad option but he's never going to change a game so not really sure if it's worth keeping him.

Rather see Chamberlain and/or Miyaichi given more time next season.

Flavs
13-04-2012, 07:42 AM
Quality squad player for us good starter for a lower down the league team and at 31 i think that is what he will go for tbf.

Thanks mate and good luck.

Power n Glory
13-04-2012, 07:59 AM
I wouldn't object. Decent player and works his socks off. We need a nice balance between youth and experience. Players like him, Rosicky and Arteta are important sqaud players. They can't start every game but they can be called upon for cover when we have injuries. Would much rather have these guys then keep giving chances to young players like we've done in the past. If players like Ramsey, Bendy, Vela, Denilson, Diaby can't step their game up they should not play over these guys.

Olivier's xmas twist
13-04-2012, 04:46 PM
I wouldn't object. Decent player and works his socks off. We need a nice balance between youth and experience. Players like him, Rosicky and Arteta are important sqaud players. They can't start every game but they can be called upon for cover when we have injuries. Would much rather have these guys then keep giving chances to young players like we've done in the past. If players like Ramsey, Bendy, Vela, Denilson, Diaby can't step their game up they should not play over these guys.

This, i think he be a decent player to keep but not for a huge fee and only if we got rid of the deadwood too.

But i agree it the Chavs kept him they would ahve done better then they have imo.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
13-04-2012, 06:08 PM
This, i think he be a decent player to keep but not for a huge feel and only if we got rid of the deadwood too.

But i agree it the Chavs kept him they would ahve done better then they have imo.

is there something you're not telling us..?

Olivier's xmas twist
13-04-2012, 06:13 PM
is there something you're not telling us..?

was a typo.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
13-04-2012, 06:28 PM

was a typo.

http://cdn.videogum.com/files/2011/11/eddieoscars3.gif

selassie
13-04-2012, 06:49 PM
All the big teams challenging for honours have a "Yossi" type in their squad.

Yossi is a great squad player, about as good as we're going to get, he comes in and does a good job. Assuming the fee & his wage demands are reasonable and that he's happy to play the "squad role" role then we should keep him.

At this current moment I'd much rather "Yossi" than some "Project".