PDA

View Full Version : Diaby's injury problems explained

Kaiser
21-12-2011, 06:25 PM
http://www.thebeautifulgroan.com/2011/12/21/physiotherapy-corner-tom%e2%80%99s-injury-of-the-week-abou-diaby/

This week, the grisly details of Abou Diaby’s ankle injury:
May 1st 2006. Injury time at the Stadium of Light. Arsenal lead Sunderland 3-0. Dan Smith hits Abou Diaby hard with an over-the-ball challenge, studs down onto his right shin, just above the ankle. It is immediately obvious something is wrong but somehow Diaby manages to limp off, his right foot hanging at an odd angle as the physio helps him to the sidelines.
In the media furore that follows, the usual dialogue takes place; one side deplores the “horrendous” tackle, the other insists “he’s not that kind of player“. That’s all been debated ad nauseum, and my aim isn’t to go into that but rather to look at the impact this has had on what was a blossoming career.
Diaby suffered a fracture dislocation of his right ankle. It is common in these injuries for both tibia and fibula to break, sometimes in several areas. We don’t know the exact details, as football clubs rarely release them – it is, after all, confidential patient information. When the ankle dislocates there is trauma to the surrounding ligaments as well as the bone and ankle joint. The pictures below show normal anatomy (A and B) and potential effects of a fracture dislocation (C and D).
http://www.thebeautifulgroan.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/TomA.jpg (http://www.thebeautifulgroan.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/TomA.jpg)A) Normal X-ray

http://www.thebeautifulgroan.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/TomB.jpg (http://www.thebeautifulgroan.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/TomB.jpg)B) Ankle bones and ligaments

http://www.thebeautifulgroan.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/TomC.jpg (http://www.thebeautifulgroan.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/TomC.jpg)C) Ankle Dislocation

http://www.thebeautifulgroan.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/TomD.jpg (http://www.thebeautifulgroan.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/TomD.jpg)D) Fracture of tibia and fibula

In Diaby’s case, he had three separate surgeries to repair his injury. It is likely that this included an ORIF (Open Reduction Internal Fixation) of some description, depending on the nature of his injury.
http://www.thebeautifulgroan.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/TomE1.jpg (http://www.thebeautifulgroan.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/TomE1.jpg)
I see these fractures regularly where I work as a physiotherapist, and they can be challenging to rehab. The nature of the trauma causes a lot of swelling and stiffness in the ankle joint. It is quite rare for a patient to recover 100% range of movement in the ankle, even with intensive treatment. The fact that Diaby was able to return to action nine months later is a great credit to Arsenal’s excellent medical team. He made 28 appearances in all competitions in 2007-2008 and by 2009-2010 that number rose to 40, before he featured for France in their disappointing 2010 World Cup. But that doesn’t tell the whole story. Diaby has reportedly had 29 injuries since 2006 (http://www.london24.com/sport/arsenal/unlucky_gunners_midfielder_has_had_29_injuries_in_ less_than_six_years_1_1148631). On average a player would expect two injuries per season (http://news.arseblog.com/2011/11/the-uefa-injury-study/). He has, on average, had around five per year and faced lengthy layoffs, playing just 20 times in 2010-2011 and featuring just twice this season.
Diaby’s most recent absence has been down to the surgery he had on his ankle this summer. Again few details have been released by the club, but it is possible he had the original metalwork removed, as this can cause problems. That said, professional footballers often have this removed at a much earlier stage. On returning to action Diaby has picked up a hamstring problem that has ruled him out again. I can only imagine how frustrating that must be for him.
It is easy for us as Arsenal fans to criticise Diaby or the Arsenal medical team for his repeated injuries. Many have the attitude that we should “get rid“. I think though that the blame lays clearly at the severity of the initial injury and not its management or Diaby’s ineptitude. Or blame John Terry. Maybe Diaby re-injured his ankle when he volleyed Terry’s hideous concrete block of head?
http://www.thebeautifulgroan.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/TomF.jpg (http://www.thebeautifulgroan.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/TomF.jpg)Kicking racism out of football

http://www.thebeautifulgroan.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/TomG.jpg (http://www.thebeautifulgroan.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/TomG.jpg)Dorsiflexion

More likely though is the long term effect Diaby’s injury will have had on his ankle and how that affects other areas. One of the most important movements of the ankle is dorsiflexion (see picture for details). We need this for so many functional movements; walking, running, squatting, lunging and many activities that involve impact. Unfortunately it’s very hard to fully restore after this type of injury. Side to side movement (inversion and eversion) is also essential. When we balance on one leg the ankle can adapt by moving one way or the other allowing fine control of balance.
Without these movements it becomes harder to balance and the body often adapts by placing more stress on the knees or surrounding muscles. This may be why Diaby has had knee, calf, hamstring and groin problems since his injury. In addition, if the ankle is forced into a position where it is stiff, during a tackle or striking a ball for example, there can be further injury to the ankle.
So, what does the future hold for Abou Diaby? My hope is that with a gradual return to first team action Diaby will be able to reach the level he did in 2009-2010 where he made 35 starts for Arsenal. Five years of persistent injuries though makes me wonder if this will ever be a realistic outcome. For his sake I really hope he can make it. At 25 he still has time on his side to fulfil some of the potential we’ve seen from him at his best.

Bad times tbh.

Marc Overmars
21-12-2011, 06:28 PM
Sell him, he's broken.

alexander
22-12-2011, 07:46 PM
Sell him, he's shit.

yep.

Kano
22-12-2011, 10:41 PM
sounds pretty nasty that.

poor luck on the guy, as it seems he'll never reach his potential through no fault of his own.

Ollie the Optimist
22-12-2011, 10:44 PM
diaby had so much talent and when he first came here, i thought he would become a great player and he would have had that cunt smith not decided to break his leg.

fakeyank
22-12-2011, 11:10 PM
diaby had so much talent and when he first came here, i thought he would become a great player and he would have had that cunt smith not decided to break his leg.

I thought like you too. I dont think its his injuries that worry me about him.. its his attitude. I remember a couple of seasons back, he got a good run of games and he was awesome in some and absolutely crap in others! He seems too laidback to become a top player.

Power n Glory
22-12-2011, 11:47 PM
You can't underestimate the psychological damage that injury has done to him. He stayed back a whole summer to try and stay fit for us only to pick up more injuries. He's a good player and when fit, he can be influential. But knowing that one bad tackle can lay you out for the whole season must really effect his approach to a game. He must always have it in the back of his mind when going in for tackles or having to chase a game. I remember Henry saying he couldn't run at defenders and sprint as much as he used to because he was carrying an ankle injury that needed surgery. It's not that he didn't want to, he just couldn't. Same goes for Theo when he had the shoulder problems. He was afraid it would pop out again and it messed with his confidence. We even saw the same with Cesc last year. He had that hamstring injury and Wenger spoke about him having doubt in his mind at point. When running about with such injuries, your thinking about how your body will react. Any sign of problems and your looking for the subs bench.

i feel sorry for Diaby and hope they sort it out. I think a Song, Diaby and Wilshere combo is our strongest team. Diaby and Song were defensively solid during some games and then you have Diaby with his powerful runs and shots. Picked out a few sweet passes last season as well.

Marc Overmars
23-12-2011, 01:20 AM
I don't think he's that good, overrated actually just because he's easy on the eye with his neat turns and galloping runs. He's talented on his day but for some reason the application doesn't translate IMO. It's all irrelevent though seeing as he's very rarely available. It's unfortunate for him but we're not a charity. Get rid and move on, it's gone on long enough.

IBK
23-12-2011, 03:25 AM
IMO the main problem with Diaby is whats between his ears. As PNG says there's the psychological trauma of his injury (ies), but even when at his best he has demonstrated a deficiency of decision making that would be a worry even if by some miracle he is able to regain full fitness.

Master Splinter
23-12-2011, 08:04 AM
Vermaelen said he was watching and analysing games to see how he could improve his own game during his injury vacation.

Diaby has probably been watching his victory over Ben Arfa on Youtube.

Power n Glory
23-12-2011, 08:18 AM
Give the kid some credit. He spent a whole summer with a personal trainer one season and didn't take a holiday.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/9/england/2009/06/21/1338445/arsenal-star-abou-diaby-shuns-holiday-in-favour-of-training

Boss
23-12-2011, 08:32 AM
Has a lot of talent but overrated because of his injury. Ability wise is up there amongst the best midfielders in our squad but is a complete moron and will never reach the levels Wilshere and Song have.

Used to have one brilliant game and four complete garbage ones when he played for us.

Power n Glory
23-12-2011, 09:19 AM
I don't get how he's overrated. By who? He doesn't get much praise from the press or Arsenal fans. Makes no sense to praise his ability and put him up there with the best in the squad but then say he won't ever reach the same level as Wilshere and Song. Maybe his injuries will prevent that but if your saying his talent and ability is up there, then he has the potential.

Coney
23-12-2011, 09:27 AM
I see these fractures regularly where I work as a physiotherapist, and they can be challenging to rehab. The nature of the trauma causes a lot of swelling and stiffness in the ankle joint. It is quite rare for a patient to recover 100% range of movement in the ankle, even with intensive treatment. The fact that Diaby was able to return to action nine months later is a great credit to Arsenal’s excellent medical team.

'nuff said.

hymppi
23-12-2011, 11:55 AM
Vermaelen said he was watching and analysing games to see how he could improve his own game during his injury vacation.

Diaby has probably been watching his victory over Ben Arfa on Youtube.

it's just that he broke his fingers when spelling diaby vs arfa on youtube.
well, you can always drink you alcohol with a straw.

Grebbo
23-12-2011, 12:14 PM
He was pretty shit even when not injured tbh.

We shouldn't be wasting time with him. He's been at the club so long now we must have given him a contract extension which is just madness.

Dog Toffee
23-12-2011, 12:53 PM
When on form we didnt need anyone else in midfield, but that was rare. Shame, it could have been wonderful.

Olivier's xmas twist
23-12-2011, 01:04 PM
He was pretty shit even when not injured tbh.

We shouldn't be wasting time with him. He's been at the club so long now we must have given him a contract extension which is just madness.

He was never that bad, ok he had a few brain fart moments and can be silly at times, but he can also be creative and look world class.

Problem is he just seems to be a extra wage we are paying for but not using that much. Time to get rid let him restart his career else where. He'd welcome a knew start one would feel.

GP
23-12-2011, 01:09 PM
Give the kid some credit. He spent a whole summer with a personal trainer one season and didn't take a holiday.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/9/england/2009/06/21/1338445/arsenal-star-abou-diaby-shuns-holiday-in-favour-of-training

Yes, we've been reaping the rewards ever since.

Power n Glory
23-12-2011, 01:29 PM
Yes, we've been reaping the rewards ever since.

Yeah, it sucks that he still keeps getting injured but the point is, he's desperate to stay fit and isn't as lazy as people on here make out. Wenger recently said his confidence has taken a serious knock after the latest injury. It's going to take him a while to get over this and maybe he needs to change leagues/clubs so he has a fresh start. I think he'd be a good player for us if he stayed fit. When he's playing well, he's really effective and has the ability to create chances and score goals. Has improved his defensive game as well.

Marc Overmars
23-12-2011, 01:50 PM
It's all pie in the sky. (om nom nom nom)

Fact is, the guy is rarely available for selection. Even when he is fit, you can bet your bottom dollar he will be crocked again in 2-3 games tops. Let him go and rebuild his career elsewhere, it's sad but that's football.

If he comes back fighting fit and manages to play consistently well, then I will happily eat my words.

GP
23-12-2011, 02:59 PM
Yeah, it sucks that he still keeps getting injured but the point is, he's desperate to stay fit and isn't as lazy as people on here make out. Wenger recently said his confidence has taken a serious knock after the latest injury. It's going to take him a while to get over this and maybe he needs to change leagues/clubs so he has a fresh start. I think he'd be a good player for us if he stayed fit. When he's playing well, he's really effective and has the ability to create chances and score goals. Has improved his defensive game as well.

Oh absolutely. I'd love Diaby to be a reliable member of the squad, but I think we all just need to accept that it isn't going to happen. His career has been destroyed, and it's through no fault of his own.

fari
23-12-2011, 04:18 PM
Oh absolutely. I'd love Diaby to be a reliable member of the squad, but I think we all just need to accept that it isn't going to happen. His career has been destroyed, and it's through no fault of his own.

he should just go ahead and retire a la sebastian deisler (formerly of bayern munich). i really like diaby as a player but at some point we have to accept that he will never be a consistent member of the squad. he's getting older too so it's going to be harder to come back each time

Kano
25-12-2011, 01:48 AM
IMO the main problem with Diaby is whats between his ears. As PNG says there's the psychological trauma of his injury (ies), but even when at his best he has demonstrated a deficiency of decision making that would be a worry even if by some miracle he is able to regain full fitness.
i think you could argue that neither the mental injuries surrounding his injury - that any person would go through - or his decision making in games are exclusive from each other. given the ridiculous amount of times he has been injured i would suppose that these 'mental issues' carry over onto the pitch (without meaning to lessen the finger of blame when he does make a mistake), deep in his own fears that another injury is very likely to arrive. it's a vicious cycle he appears to be stuck in that will only be resolved through no decision of his own. also let's not forget that at his best - and his benchmark was the carling final v chelsea - his decision making was never questionable. those sort of dominating performances have not happened regularly enough i agree but they are also the kind of levels very few players are able to demonstrate against similar opponents.

as frustrated as i am about keeping diaby around the place, i keep faith in the fact that no matter the acknowledged failings of wenger over the past few years, his judgement of releasing/giving up on players remains strong. I would imagine he has seen information that indicates diaby has a significant future at the club; RVP seems to be a very relevant example to highlight - given the cost of these players, even one fantastic season would be a return on the investment.

selassie
28-12-2011, 10:06 AM
Are we as a club really in a position to plead poverty with paying our stars premium wages when we have several squad members Diaby being the main example who are on 50K plus a week but spend more time on the treatment table than on the playing field?

We should be more ruthless with players like Diaby and show them the door.

Power n Glory
28-12-2011, 10:59 AM
Are we as a club really in a position to plead poverty with paying our stars premium wages when we have several squad members Diaby being the main example who are on 50K plus a week but spend more time on the treatment table than on the playing field?

I’ve got a bit of a problem with that attitude. He was injured playing for us. I think it’s our duty to try and get him back to full fitness. It may costs us but the kid can’t do anything else besides play football. He’s trained for this from youth. It’s not as if he can go and do something else. It was a cruel injury and maybe some sort of compensation should be paid out by opposing teams when a player is ruined like this. A 3 match ban is bullshit. In Dan Smith’s case, he didn’t even get a red card. Was he even booked? The FA need to look into this. They can dish out an 8 match ban for a racist but only 3 games for a reckless challenge that can end careers?

£50k a week is a lot of money but regardless of how much he earns, I think it’s only right that a company picks up the medical bill if an employee is badly injured while at work. If a factory worker losses a limb on the job, it’s pretty cruel to tell them to piss off cause he’s no good to them anymore. I know football and manual labour are miles apart but it’s the same principle. We should do the best we can to get him back to his best. If we send him off to another club, at least make sure he has some sort of playing career left and it’s not some shitty short term deal where he’s hung out to dry after a year or so. Some people might not agree with this but if we were talking about anyone else besides a footballer, I think there would be a bit more sympathy.

Grebbo
28-12-2011, 11:21 AM

Wenger hasn't been ruthless for years. Selling Merson, dropping Wright - that was ruthless.

To be fair this season he did ship out Denilson, Bendy and Eboue. But these days it takes him 5 years to work out that a player is shite.

selassie
03-01-2012, 10:55 AM
I’ve got a bit of a problem with that attitude. He was injured playing for us. I think it’s our duty to try and get him back to full fitness. It may costs us but the kid can’t do anything else besides play football. He’s trained for this from youth. It’s not as if he can go and do something else. It was a cruel injury and maybe some sort of compensation should be paid out by opposing teams when a player is ruined like this. A 3 match ban is bullshit. In Dan Smith’s case, he didn’t even get a red card. Was he even booked? The FA need to look into this. They can dish out an 8 match ban for a racist but only 3 games for a reckless challenge that can end careers?

£50k a week is a lot of money but regardless of how much he earns, I think it’s only right that a company picks up the medical bill if an employee is badly injured while at work. If a factory worker losses a limb on the job, it’s pretty cruel to tell them to piss off cause he’s no good to them anymore. I know football and manual labour are miles apart but it’s the same principle. We should do the best we can to get him back to his best. If we send him off to another club, at least make sure he has some sort of playing career left and it’s not some shitty short term deal where he’s hung out to dry after a year or so. Some people might not agree with this but if we were talking about anyone else besides a footballer, I think there would be a bit more sympathy.

P'n'G, it's taken me a while to come back to you on this but I don't really agree with you here. In terms of the punishments to the offending player and your point about the FA, I totally agree with you there. Where our opinions differ is on the rehabilition period for Diaby and what we should be doing as a club. Look I accept that Diaby hasn't been the same since the incident and accept that it wasn't his fault he got crocked. As a club we have a duty to look after our players, but I think babysitting them to the extent we have with Diaby is a stretch too far. Arsene actually mentions Diaby as a player who is seen as integral to our plans, he won't buy in Midfield because we have Diaby (a player who is regularly injured) coming back from injury. I personally think he's made this mistake far too many times over the past few seasons with players, we all know who the players are.

Kano
03-01-2012, 11:43 AM
i could be wrong but i can't recall wenger saying he wouldn't specifically buy in central midfield because we have diaby. everyone was saying get rid of rvp because of his injury record and now look, so i would put more faith in the knowledge wenger has about diaby's possible future than you seem to be at present.

selassie
03-01-2012, 12:40 PM
i could be wrong but i can't recall wenger saying he wouldn't specifically buy in central midfield because we have diaby. everyone was saying get rid of rvp because of his injury record and now look, so i would put more faith in the knowledge wenger has about diaby's possible future than you seem to be at present.

I'll have to try and dig up the quote but Wenger very recently said he had Wilshire & Diaby coming back so he won't buy in Central Midfield.

Everyone wasn't saying we should get rid of RVP and to be brutally honest we had sufficient quality upfront to be able to give RVP the time he needed to get healthy. We don't have that luxury in Central Midfield at present. Moreover RVP has repeatedly shown large flashes of brilliance in his career here, Diaby on the other hand has had a few decent moments, let's not go overboard here.

For sure Wenger knows more about his players and their abilities than me, that's why he's our manager and paid the highest salary in PL but he's absolutely not walking on water here, he has got a fair few calls on developing players wrong over the past few years.

LDG
03-01-2012, 12:46 PM
Diaby is quality.

If he can get back to full fitness....and to be fair, only those in the know, will know if he can.....he should be given that time.

Kano
03-01-2012, 12:46 PM
For sure Wenger knows more about his players and their abilities than me, that's why he's our manager and paid the highest salary in PL but he's absolutely not walking on water here, he has got a fair few calls on developing players wrong over the past few years.
he has but those blighted by injuries he seems to have a good understanding on when to stick with the player or let them go.

Niall_Quinn
03-01-2012, 01:21 PM
Would prefer to see Diaby's transfer out explained, what's the point of this player?