PDA

View Full Version : Right to go after Henry?

Japan Shaking All Over
24-12-2011, 05:08 AM
Loan for 2 months. . .no brainer IMO

Would be better off the bench than Chamakh especially if he fucks off in January!

Park should also be given a chance but Henry will add that muxh needed experience come a traditionall difficult time of year for us. . .

Still need to look hard at January transfer long term targets tho

IBK
24-12-2011, 06:38 AM
Loan for 2 months. . .no brainer IMO

Would be better off the bench than Chamakh especially if he fucks off in January!

Park should also be given a chance but Henry will add that muxh needed experience come a traditionall difficult time of year for us. . .

Still need to look hard at January transfer long term targets tho

nothing to lose IMO. But I agree that AW needs to be looking long term. When you see how other high profile players have made an instant impact in the EPL, and how many players he has persevered with have failed to reach their potential his policy of not 'killing' his existing players needs to be revised here. Not doing so may well cost us CL football and RVP.

Letters
24-12-2011, 10:08 AM
Could maybe do a job short term. Far less depressing option than Chammakh or Arshavin.

Cripps_orig
24-12-2011, 10:15 AM
No we need someone who can play til the end of the season at least plus Henry is a bit shit these days.

Grebbo
24-12-2011, 10:43 AM
A washed up, slow, shit Henry or Chamakh & Arshavin. Not a difficult choice.

It's fucking embarrassing that a club of our size and income is even considering such a move. We should be buying quality players in their prime.

Özim
24-12-2011, 10:50 AM
1) I prefer to remember Henry as he was, the top class player who produced some amazing moments and scored a hatful of goals, coming back now when he's past his best will only taint this

2) Once again this is Wenger being cheap as he almost always is, he wants to stick with nobodies like Chamakh and bring in cheap short term cover rather than buying quality long term solution, we'll never build a top quality team if we stick with players who don't deliver and keep getting cheap quick fixes like Squillaci. We need a manager who is focussed on building a team not saving money to make sure he doesn't risk his 6 million a year salary.

Marc Overmars
24-12-2011, 11:40 AM
Henry is well past it but it's better than nothing at all. Just another option to have.

Kaiser
24-12-2011, 11:42 AM
As long as his arrival is complemented by someone like Podolski coming in. Then it'd work.

Joker
24-12-2011, 12:10 PM
Agreed, if Henry is the only striker coming in to compensate for Gervinho and Chamakh leaving for the ACON, then that is not good enough. There are question marks over whether he can still hack it at the top level anyway, so we'd be taking a big risk by relying on him to provide cover for RVP, even if it is for just a few months. Moreover, we should be looking at long term targets anyway, not just someone to fill in in the short term. Because even when Chamakh comes back, it is manifest that he is nowhere near good enough, and this leaves us extremely short up front.

Again, Wenger is looking to get the cheapest option in, rather than focusing on long term needs. We should get a good quality striker in January on a long-term deal, who can provide competition for RVP, even if such a player will cost a bit. Penny pinching has got us nowhere over the last 5 years, it's time to focus on quality, not simply price.

Power n Glory
24-12-2011, 12:14 PM
I wouldn't stick this one on Wenger yet. I think he was asked a question by the press and just responded. I don't think he's given it any serious thought yet.

Letters
24-12-2011, 12:47 PM
Again, Wenger is looking to get the cheapest option in, rather than focusing on long term needs.

Wenger has constantly been criticised for buying kids rather than established players. That, surely, is him focusing on long term needs? Whatever he does you're going to find an excuse to criticise.

I'd be disappointed if Henry is the only thing we do in January as we clearly need more firepower up front and it wouldn't be the same Henry we've known and loved.

Joker
24-12-2011, 12:52 PM
Wenger has constantly been criticised for buying kids rather than established players. That, surely, is him focusing on long term needs? Whatever he does you're going to find an excuse to criticise.

I'd be disappointed if Henry is the only thing we do in January as we clearly need more firepower up front and it wouldn't be the same Henry we've known and loved.

What I'm saying is that Henry's 34, so it's doubtful whether he can still be a force in the Premiership, having played at a lower level in the USA for a few years now. We should be aiming for strikers in the age range 24-27, who can come in and do a job from the off, and who are likely to offer real competition to RVP.

Letters
24-12-2011, 12:54 PM
I agree. I think we all agree.

Japan Shaking All Over
24-12-2011, 01:25 PM
For those saying that this smacks of Wengerbiz. . .he hasnt said bringing in Henry would mean the non arrival of another long term striker. . .I mean there are a few names floating around that we would be stupid to not be associated with however. . .

Chamakh going to the ANC (hopefully via another club) would mean a loan move for Henry would not be enougheven with Ju in the mix.

Henry would provide great experience, even if it was on the training pitch more than anything else, the turn of the year is always a toigh time for us and to have the kind of wise head most have been screaming for around the club has plus plus plus written all over it (but of course its easier for some to use negative spin when expressing their opinion :yawn:)

In all honesty I am sure if Wenger could have his way, this move (if it even happens) would have been kept secret for as long as possible but thay is impossible considering the names and history involved.

This would be a good move and I bet he contributes. . .but/and I doubt if Wenger thinks TH14is the answer for the future. . .I mean you haters do realise that Wenger knows that he can only have the guy for 2 months I ? I mean ge even said as much. . .

but I suppose you lot look for any scraps to use to fuel your short sighted hatred!

Mr. Lahey
24-12-2011, 03:01 PM
he would score more goals than the current bunch we have coming off the bench, so why not.

Coney
24-12-2011, 04:21 PM
Of course, while the press speculate about Henry coming back for a couple of months, Wenger can get on with looking for the real striker without them blowing the deal.

Mr. Lahey
24-12-2011, 04:28 PM
A proper striker is needed though. Id love to see Ba join, hes a cracking player. Hes going to the AOCN i believe, so I dont think hes an option in January.

Japan Shaking All Over
24-12-2011, 04:39 PM
Ba is eletric but wont be leaving Newcastle. . . .not unless we paid ridiculous money for him. . .

Arsenal Royal
24-12-2011, 04:40 PM
As long as his arrival is complemented by someone like Podolski coming in.

:sick:

When I think or hear about Henry I get excited every time. But it's the "old" Henry that I love. I can't judge him now as I've never watched him play for NY Red Bulls. Wenger, on the other hand, has seen him train with Arsenal and knows if he's fit or still good.
Then again, I don't trust Wenger's decision making all the time :whistle:.

I don't think it would harm anyone if he gets a loan deal. He knows the club, the game and the players.
If we sign him and he doesn't have an impact will the fans' views of Henry change? I don't think so. Even after his move to Barca, most Arsenal fans were still of full praise of him.

What we need more than Henry is a good, experienced striker. I'm leaving out the word "world class" on purpose because we won't make a $$$$$$ signing à la City. And I'd prefer January over a summer signing as it takes a while for every player to settle down.

Time is running out!!!!

Ollie the Optimist
24-12-2011, 04:56 PM
a few years ago we werent sure wether signing sol campbell again was a good idea but he had been training with us for a while and wenger had watched him everyday and knew he was good enough and true enough he was, in fact he did so well, we wanted him to be with us for another season.

henry has this club in his heart and will give his all on the pitch that we can be sure off. would be a good move imo, it wont taint his legacy with us because the fans wont get on his back, plus he is a damsit better then chamkah or fat fuck off the bench. not a big watcher of mls, but every now and again on youtube henry pops up with goals that we all stood and applauded when he played with us. he still has it imo but wont produce it as much.

not a bad signing but as i saw on twitter earlier from a few journos, wenger seriously considering this and will bid for podolski.

when i heard the news we might sign him, it genuinly made me excited, love henry, true gooner and one i would love to see back in hte red and white at the club where he is king

Kano
25-12-2011, 01:24 AM
i would be against it if he was the chosen to be a sole replacement for another striker.

as a wide man/additional striker to another purchase, i think he could do a decent stand in job, despite his age and pace diminishing he is a very smart and experienced player that rarely wastes the ball and would only add to the experience on and off the pitch in a crucial time when the team needs to retain it's composure.

let's not forget that larsson came from sweden to united and was very effective in a very important time for that team, and it would be ridiculous to suggest that either usa/swedish football is not on a par or that henry was an even better player than larsson in their prime.

Japan Shaking All Over
25-12-2011, 10:55 AM
A loan deal for Henry and a move for Poldoski or Sow would be Wenger playing tbe market very well indeed!

tigerthesmurf85
25-12-2011, 11:31 AM
I think it would be a good signing as long as we sign another attacking player as well, say Podolski...

tigerthesmurf85
25-12-2011, 11:32 AM
let's not forget that larsson came from sweden to united and was very effective in a very important time for that team, and it would be ridiculous to suggest that either usa/swedish football is not on a par or that henry was an even better player than larsson in their prime.

Agreed

Dog Toffee
25-12-2011, 09:15 PM
Re-sign Bergkamp too.

And Pires.

Japan Shaking All Over
26-12-2011, 06:55 AM
That Wenger might have done if both of them were available and training with us at this very moment. . .

I think the genetal consensus is that TH14 has something ti give, if nothing at a bit of the so desited experience and that his introduction would be more effective than the dross that comes on for us now. . .

Short term decent move. . .

KSE Comedy Club
26-12-2011, 11:04 AM
I dont mind him coming here on loan, no problem with that whatsoever.

But, he HAS to be accompanied by a couple of permanent buys. We were still a couple players short at the end of the summer window, now we need to bolster the squad and push on.

Please just do it right this time wenger.

Edinburgh Gooner
30-12-2011, 10:47 PM
All the papers have this as a done deal. Apparently we are paying his £70k a week wages and an astronomical insurance premium for 6 weeks of his time.

Marc Overmars
30-12-2011, 10:53 PM
Yeah Wenger confirmed it today. They're just sorting out some insurance stuff and it will be officially announced very soon I imagine.

Penciled in to play against Leeds apparently.

Dennis Bendtner
30-12-2011, 11:25 PM
That would be great. Leeds was his ultimate bitch.

fakeyank
30-12-2011, 11:34 PM
a few years ago we werent sure wether signing sol campbell again was a good idea but he had been training with us for a while and wenger had watched him everyday and knew he was good enough and true enough he was, in fact he did so well, we wanted him to be with us for another season.

henry has this club in his heart and will give his all on the pitch that we can be sure off. would be a good move imo, it wont taint his legacy with us because the fans wont get on his back, plus he is a damsit better then chamkah or fat fuck off the bench. not a big watcher of mls, but every now and again on youtube henry pops up with goals that we all stood and applauded when he played with us. he still has it imo but wont produce it as much.

not a bad signing but as i saw on twitter earlier from a few journos, wenger seriously considering this and will bid for podolski.

when i heard the news we might sign him, it genuinly made me excited, love henry, true gooner and one i would love to see back in hte red and white at the club where he is king

I watch the MLS and he was very hit and miss. More hit than miss, though he faded towards the end of the season.. he had a fair amount of red cards for sly kicks and digs as well! :lol:

I went to watch the play offs against Galaxy in October (just to see TH14 in flesh) and he was absolute crap! He did nothing other than point to the ref how the Galaxy keeper was wasting time! Having said that, I do think the addition of technically better players around him and the love he has for Arsenal will make him a good loan signing. I can see him being very effective compared any of the other strikers (bar RVP) we have.

For me, I am genuinely excited!! I am definitely going to look to get a ticket now to watch him play this February. I always wanted to see him in the red and white and seeing him play (hopefully) would be a dream come true! :scarf:

KSE Comedy Club
30-12-2011, 11:57 PM
Glad to have him back, will be nice to see him again. However I do wonder if this could have a negative effect on the team?

I also think that this means wenger won't be buying anyone else up front, henry's it. He'll cover for gerv & spak and when they get back he'll be off.

Real shame tbh, a permanent solution should have been sorted out.

Mr. Lahey
31-12-2011, 04:36 AM
Great move,but Wenger still needs to buy a striker. Henry is still quality. His pace may not be where it was but he still has a great touch and great awareness on the pitch. Hes won everything and seems motivated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUgZTxQh3kM&feature=related

Flavs
31-12-2011, 06:58 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/16370385.stm

Master Splinter
31-12-2011, 07:55 AM
I hope he scores more goals than Chamakh.

Xhaka Can’t
31-12-2011, 08:34 AM
I hope he scores more goals than Van Persie.

Japan Shaking All Over
31-12-2011, 09:18 AM
Yeah. . .like 2 hat-tricks and 5 assists a game :gooner:

fakeyank
31-12-2011, 06:51 PM
Todays game shows how badly we need someone like him. Theo and gervinho are shit. Theo should be flogged out of the club... 4 seasons and still no improvement. Gervinho i feel is better of the two evils and i can see him improve. Its the end of the road for theo... GTFO!

Cripps_orig
31-12-2011, 06:52 PM
4 years and no improvement?

Wtf?

Theo is a far better player than what he was when we got him

fakeyank
31-12-2011, 06:58 PM
4 years and no improvement?

Wtf?

Theo is a far better player than what he was when we got him

Better in what? His ball control is worse than a 9 yr old, crossing is average, finishing is appalling! He has two strengths- he is very quick and he tracks back well but these qualities make him a better full back than a forward. At best he is an impact sub... He will not start at another top team. Shocking from AW to still play him!

Cripps_orig
31-12-2011, 07:01 PM
:lol:

No point continuing this.

And hes better than Young and Lennon who both start for teams above us atm

AKBapologist
31-12-2011, 07:12 PM

:gp:

fakeyank
31-12-2011, 07:21 PM

Lennon and him are both equally shit. Young is better than both.

Master Splinter
31-12-2011, 07:26 PM
Calling them all equally shit would be closer to the truth than Young being better.

Young has done nothing past the first few weeks of the season.

He's the classic flavour of the month player. Has a run of explosive games a few times in his career and then falls back to his average level.

No doubt about Theo being really poor recently though.

Gervinho might be the worst finisher since Aliadiere, but he causes problems for the opposition all game long and sets up a lot of chances; advertently or inadvertently.

milla
01-01-2012, 01:32 PM
Better in what? His ball control is worse than a 9 yr old, crossing is average, finishing is appalling! He has two strengths- he is very quick and he tracks back well but these qualities make him a better full back than a forward. At best he is an impact sub... He will not start at another top team. Shocking from AW to still play him!

Feo crossing has improved but the rest is still the same. Very inconsistent player, his first touch is just plain bad. :coffee:

fakeyank
01-01-2012, 08:12 PM
Feo crossing has improved but the rest is still the same. Very inconsistent player, his first touch is just plain bad. :coffee:

Thats why his crossing is avg. That part last year was crap as well. These days he does send in a good cross 1 in 5 or 6 attempts.

Olivier's xmas twist
01-01-2012, 08:31 PM
Thats why his crossing is avg. That part last year was crap as well. These days he does send in a good cross 1 in 5 or 6 attempts.

THEO WALCOTT and Arsenal are at WAR over his demand for a new £85,000-a-week, four-year deal.

That’s put the England winger’s long-term Emirates future in real doubt – and alerted Premier League rivals Chelsea and Liverpool as well as mega-rich French outfit PSG and Italian giants Juventus.

Cripps_orig
01-01-2012, 08:35 PM
Dont blame him tbh. When he sees Wenger giving out mega contracts to players with half his talent, he deserves a raise

Xhaka Can’t
01-01-2012, 08:57 PM
It is pathetic how some people on this forum will simply blindly and/or hypocritically support or condemn a player and not take into account any form of context.

GP
01-01-2012, 09:22 PM
Disgusting how sanity and common sense is treated on here tbh

Letters
01-01-2012, 09:47 PM
It is pathetic how some people on this forum will simply blindly and/or hypocritically support or condemn a player and not take into account any form of context.

The point scoring and WUMing on here seriously detracts from the place.

Certain posters take a (typically extreme) position on a player or issue and rigidly stick to that position regardless of any facts and move heaven and goalposts to defend that position come what may.

Coney
01-01-2012, 10:35 PM
But Szczęsny IS a really good player.

fakeyank
01-01-2012, 10:42 PM
In the PL theo has played 18 games, scored 2 and made 4 assists while gerv has played 16, scored 4 and made 5 assists. That along with gervs better ball control makes him better than theo. He is also new to the league so he can only get better.
Theo has improved very little since he came to the club and for the amount of chances he has got, he is pretty much a failure.. I think its high time we invest our time and efforts on OAC, ryo and new signings.

Letters
01-01-2012, 11:00 PM
In the PL theo has played 18 games, scored 2 and made 4 assists while gerv has played 16, scored 4 and made 5 assists. That along with gervs better ball control makes him better than theo. He is also new to the league so he can only get better.
Theo has improved very little since he came to the club and for the amount of chances he has got, he is pretty much a failure.. I think its high time we invest our time and efforts on OAC, ryo and new signings.

Sadly, I agree. He has been hampered by injury and he suffered from the ridiculous hype about him in the English press which set unrealistic expectations. But he's not advanced as he should have and while he's still young he's getting to the sort of age where he should be showing more ability than he does IMO. He is capable of good performances here and there but he's nowhere near consistent enough, I'm not convinced right now he's going to make it at the top level of the game (by which I mean as a player in the top group in the PL, I think he could do a job in the PL further down the pecking order)

-Xs-
01-01-2012, 11:12 PM
I don't think we will see his true ability come out till his late 20's, unfortunately I am not sure how much more patience will be afforded to him due to his continued inconsistency

Him asking for 85k a week reeks of paper bs tbh

Master Splinter
02-01-2012, 12:42 AM
http://p.twimg.com/AiHBMUICQAEYW2D.jpg

Marc Overmars
02-01-2012, 12:47 AM
What a man.

GP
02-01-2012, 01:07 AM
I just jizzed a bit.

Cripps_orig
02-01-2012, 01:21 AM
Needs a shave. Looks like a bum

Japan Shaking All Over
02-01-2012, 01:28 AM

For me Gerv has been a good addition, I do get frustrated by his decision making and control but the way he runs at players and gets to the by line is something we have missed for ages. He has not been a failure - Theo on the other hand seems to come across as your typical pampered high paid youngster who has let early headlines go to his head, I am more than willing to give him upteem chances but flashes of brilliance are not going to cut it anymore! He needs to atarting peefoeming week in and week out.

In all honesty Wenger should go out and buy a high quality winger like Hazard (young too) and spell out to Theo that he cant take anything for granted and that if he wants to play here is the player he has to dislodge because OMO Theos head should be on the chopping block not Gervs