PDA

View Full Version : Match Reaction - Arsenal vs Wolves

Japan Shaking All Over
27-12-2011, 05:06 PM
Disappointed but have been a fan long enough to know when a goalie plays as well as Hennassey did today then it wasnt going to happen.

Still find it difficult to break down teams that play ever player behind the ball but Gerv showed us that real width is the answer which is why we I think we missed Theo on the other side. . .in hindsight and I didnt say so at tbe start because I was happy with the line up, should Arshavin have started. . .not sure just an after thought

Atwell ruined the game for both teams

Marc Overmars
27-12-2011, 05:10 PM
Poor result, really disappointing given we could have stole a march on our rivals who dropped points yesterday.

2nd half was about as one sided as it gets, but Hennessey was very good. We could do nothing about their goal, typical pub team shit.

FFS Arsenal. <_<

Olivier's xmas twist
27-12-2011, 05:11 PM
Poor result and Performance in the 2nd half. i agree the ref was rubbish and we should of had a couple of pens but we never helped ourselves.

We deffo missed theo and we missed santos and Sagna too it showed.

buys in jan are a must.

KSE Comedy Club
27-12-2011, 05:14 PM
Same old shit subs again.

Wenger does himself no favours.

Again when our rivals drop points we immediately follow suit.

Fucking pathetic.

Marc Overmars
27-12-2011, 05:15 PM
The race for 4th is going to be so tight, everyone seems to be both equally good and bad as each other.

Globalgunner
27-12-2011, 05:17 PM
we were crap without Theo, we would as usual would have been crap with him. The problem with the team is a lack of directness. we always need another pass or move before someone has a shot on target, giving defenders more opportunities to put in a block. When we do take a shot is is always Ramsey or Rosicky who might as well be wearing blindfolds when shooting. this is the same opld wateful Arsenal that we know and loathe. In the first half. having score we started to be casual epitomised by Song playing a backfick in the middle of an attck with no other teammate arond him. It was only after Wolves scored that we seemed to realise that 3 points were on hand here.

Olivier's xmas twist
27-12-2011, 05:18 PM
Same old shit subs again.

Wenger does himself no favours.

Again when our rivals drop points we immediately follow suit.Fucking pathetic.

This is what happens when you know you need a win, there was so much pressure for us to win that game and it showed. we have not seen pressure like that in a while.

Dog Toffee
We did seem to play as if we'd already won from the very beggining. As soon as we lose a few first team players we look average. We need fullbacks badly, having 4BC's on the pitch at home v Wolves is silly.

Dennis Bendtner
We're running on empty in attack. Not the Yossicky types, but the ones meant to provide cutting edge. Think we have Gervinho for the next couple of games, but he sucked ass today. RVP was dead on his feet.

Marc Overmars
27-12-2011, 05:19 PM
Wenger was on the website talking about how he is ready to play Ox, yet he once again brings on that sack of shit Chamakh instead, who within 5 minutes of coming on wipes out RVP and takes the sting out of the game.

Pace pace pace, that's what we need when chasing a game against tired defenders, not some statue who's about as useful as a chocolate teapot.

Gah.

KSE Comedy Club
27-12-2011, 05:21 PM
We're running on empty in attack. Not the Yossicky types, but the ones meant to provide cutting edge. Think we have Gervinho for the next couple of games, but he sucked ass today. RVP was dead on his feet.

We have Park and AOC that are attacking players and both better than spak and fatty, but Wenger thinks they dont know how to play football yet.

KSE Comedy Club
27-12-2011, 05:24 PM
This is what happens when you know you need a win, there was so much pressure for us to win that game and it showed. we have not seen pressure like that in a while.

We'll never win the league if the team think that was a pressure game.

Master Splinter
27-12-2011, 05:26 PM
We had enough chances to win three games. Hennessy had an outstanding game.

The game, as we've seen before, was decided in the first half when we were completely on top and in no danger. We were casual - as epitomised by Song's stupid flicks - when we should have been ruthless in finishing off a nervous side but instead we gave them leeway to come back into the game. Their goal was a freakish one, however.

RVP looked rusty, Gervinho and Benayoun were dangerous if often careless.

Mertesacker and Koscielny were excellent though.

These games occur a few times in a season. On another day, it could have been 6-0. The application and aggression was there, at least in the second half. A combination of poor finishing and determined defending prevented the win.

We just need to make up for it in the next few games. Any overreaction is unwarranted until then.

Globalgunner
27-12-2011, 05:27 PM
Wenger is that man who always proffers the same solution when posed with a dozendifferent problems. He will keep playing Chamack/Arshavin until the cows come home. he needs to justify to himself that he didnt make a mistake there.

gunnerrrrr
27-12-2011, 05:27 PM
We have Park and AOC that are attacking players and both better than spak and fatty, but Wenger thinks they dont know how to play football yet.

Spot on....

Fcuk we need some goal scorers in the team, guys who can score every few games or when it counts...if RVP doesnt do it no one does, bar the odd goal.

How Park and OAC do not even make the bench is beyond me, Chamack os just plain awful, Rosicky needs to start adding goals to his game as do Arteta and Ramsey.....

This should have been nailed on....

fakeyank
27-12-2011, 05:30 PM
Where the fuck is Park and OAC? WTF is AW thinking? He is past it... cant wait for his ass to leave next season!

Dennis Bendtner
27-12-2011, 05:33 PM
These games occur a few times in a season. On another day, it could have been 6-0. The application and aggression was there, at least in the second half. A combination of poorfinishing and determined defending prevented the win.

Poor finishing and hesistation is a concern, though. Our second top scorer has four goals. It's unfair to say RVP scoring was papering over cracks, but once there's a bit of a stumble or he's out of petrol, you're going to pay if there's little else.

Gervinho's had a fairly easy ride for being retarded, imo. Especially given he's started basically every game he's been there for.

WengerISaLizard
27-12-2011, 05:38 PM
Chamakh OUT - Park IN

Arshavin OUT - Ryo

both better options and they dont even make the bench

Olivier's xmas twist
27-12-2011, 05:39 PM
Poor finishing and hesistation is a concern, though. Our second top scorer has four goals. It's unfair to say RVP scoring was papering over cracks, but once there's a bit of a stumble or he's out of petrol, you're going to pay if there's little else.

Gervinho's had a fairly easy ride for being retarded, imo. Especially given he's started basically every game he's been there for.

Tell us something we don't know.

Marc Overmars
27-12-2011, 05:39 PM
The problem of having no fullbacks available is catching up on us as well IMO. We have zero width at all, no one to overlap and provide an option.

I think we should just get someone in next month, they all seem to be out relatively long term.

Power n Glory
27-12-2011, 05:46 PM
The warning signs were there from the past few games. I just hope thus isn't the start of the usual BS. Around this time of year we usually get weaker.

Wenger has to start giving chances to Park and Ox. We need a few fresh faces to start scoring. RvP can't score every game and it looks like nobody in this team is even close to going on a goal run and hitting some form.

Xhaka Can’t
27-12-2011, 05:52 PM
The race for 4th is going to be so tight, everyone seems to be both equally good and bad as each other.

I think it is a two horse race between us and Chelsea. And in that race I don't fancy our chances.

Olivier's xmas twist
27-12-2011, 05:54 PM

Its only really between chavs and us and who will mess up the most.

Power n Glory
27-12-2011, 05:56 PM
Way too early to talk like that. It's not as if we're untouchable. Still a way to go before the season is over.

Marc Overmars
27-12-2011, 06:00 PM
I think it is a two horse race between us and Chelsea. And in that race I don't fancy our chances.

I wouldn't consider Liverpool out of it until I see a bit of daylight between us and them. They're only 2 points behind and ourselves and Chelsea have to go to Anfield in the 2nd half of the season.

I would say Chelsea are slight favourites though, yes.

We just have to win games like today, City and United slaughter these teams at home and that's why they're out of sight. I'm sure Chelsea and Liverpool fans share our frustration as well, we all seem to fuck up at the same time.

Cripps_orig
27-12-2011, 06:37 PM
Just got back.

Wasnt a bad performance but the referee was awful and Wolves time wasting was done superbly.

Pub Team keeper had a blinder.

As for us, the lack of Full Backs caught up with us today. Defensively they were ok although had a couple of heart in mouth moments with Jarvis running at Djo. Mert and Kos were brilliant but what we needed were full backs running up and down providing width. Plenty of times Gervinho or Benayooun had the ball and looked to play in the attacking fullback down the side. Unfortunately we didnt have any.

On to midfield, thought Song was poor, Arteta his usual non existent self. Hes becoming a problem we can do without. Sell him in Jan and bring in Hazard/Goetze? Liked the look of Rosicky though. Did very well for the goal to hold up play and play it to Yossi.

As for the forwards, both Gervinho and Benayoun started well. Got the goal and assist and then did f all bar fuck up.

Wenger said Theo was ill before the game so why not play Ox or at least bring him on?

RVP had chances and Hennessey made some great saves.

Final word for the ref, he has to be the worst ref around surely. When he got in RVPs way when he tried to take a free kick summed the twat up.

Letters
27-12-2011, 06:40 PM

Apart from against Villa when we just HAD to win and did late on.

Today was massively frustrating but the pressure thing doesn't work as a reason today IMO. We didn't fall apart under pressure, it was an overall decent performance. Their goal was just plain bad luck. We were met with incompetent refereeing, a good defensive 11 men behind the ball performance, an outstanding goalkeeping display and yes, some incompetence from us up front but overall I can't fault our effort or performance too much. Just one of those days. It happens. If anything there's more pressure on us to get a result when our rivals win and we have to follow suit to keep pace.

One of the most frustrating games I've been to but the effort was there today, sometimes it just doesn't happen and it didn't.

Cripps_orig
27-12-2011, 06:40 PM
on the result...
It is frustrating but I am more frustrated by the result than the performance and the spirit. You cannot fault the attitude or the commitment or the desire to win the game. We missed a great opportunity but we just have to keep going and take the positives out of the game today.

on letting the lead slip...
At the moment what we have to learn is that when we are 1-0 up in some departments we cannot be too comfortable. We were caught in a position where we can only blame ourselves. Apart from that their keeper had the game of his life, Wolves fought like mad and well done to them. I don't know how many shots we had on goal and how many they had, but it was the kind of game that if you play it 20 times you win 19 and you draw one - and it was today. On the day we couldn't afford it, it was today.

on missing chances...
Their keeper had a good performance, they saved a few on the line, they did fight like mad. It was more important for us to go in 1-0 up at half-time because I know with the way they defend they would not survive like that for 90 minutes and we would have much more space in which to play. At some stage they would have had to come out. But I felt we lost our way a bit between 30 and 40 minutes and on that occasion we were caught. The only thing we can learn today is to keep the spirit and when you're 1-0 up to keep our level up.

on a possible penalty…
I have heard that, yes, but what can I do? It looks like, for us, to get a penalty we will have to fight very hard. I have seen the handball at Man City and it was definitely handball.

on Vermaelen being penalised…
I personally am responsible for the performance of my team, that's personally a lot. Not for the performance of the referee, I have no influence. I think despite that we could have won the game today and that's what we have to look at. I can complain about the referee or not. We had enough to win the game without these decisions.

on his side not being given penalties…
I don't say they [the referees] are reluctant, I just say that there should have been a penalty in the Man City game. Today I have not seen it, that's all I can say at the moment. The decisions did not go in our favour but we do not blame them today. We blame nobody in fact, it was a game we could have won anyway.

on chances to score a winner...
Gervinho scored today and we had other opportunities, Arshavin was very close, Rosicky was close, Mertersaker was close. It was the kind of day where maybe we were not relaxed enough, maybe we wanted it so much, that we were a bit too much in the 'wanting zone' and not enough in just the technical zone.

on rivals dropping points...
There are going to be a lot of twists and turns, but unfortunately we could not take advantage of that, which is the real frustrating thing today. When you have the luck of the results yesterday and you play today, you can take advantage of it, that is where the worrying thing is because in the season you have to take your opportunities.

on the prospect of signing Henry...
No, nothing has happened since last week. I expect nothing at the moment, just to calm down.

on Walcott's absence...
Walcott is sick, he has a stomach problem. He is already better today. He could not come to training yesterday, but should be available for Saturday's game.

What penalty shout v City is he on about? And wtf has it to do with this game?

Letters
27-12-2011, 06:41 PM
Just got back.

Wasnt a bad performance but the referee was awful and Wolves time wasting was done superbly.

Pub Team keeper had a blinder.

As for us, the lack of Full Backs caught up with us today. Defensively they were ok although had a couple of heart in mouth moments with Jarvis running at Djo. Mert and Kos were brilliant but what we needed were full backs running up and down providing width. Plenty of times Gervinho or Benayooun had the ball and looked to play in the attacking fullback down the side. Unfortunately we didnt have any.

On to midfield, thought Song was poor, Arteta his usual non existent self. Hes becoming a problem we can do without. Sell him in Jan and bring in Hazard/Goetze? Liked the look of Rosicky though. Did very well for the goal to hold up play and play it to Yossi.

As for the forwards, both Gervinho and Benayoun started well. Got the goal and assist and then did f all bar fuck up.

Wenger said Theo was ill before the game so why not play Ox or at least bring him on?

RVP had chances and Hennessey made some great saves.

Final word for the ref, he has to be the worst ref around surely. When he got in RVPs way when he tried to take a free kick summed the twat up.

:gp: Pretty much my thoughts.

Letters
27-12-2011, 06:44 PM

Dunno. Spurs are looking good but we have already been away to all the teams above us. We lost most of those games but the point is those games are out of the way for us. Spurs have only been to Old Trafford, they still have to go to Stamford Bridge, City and come to the Emirates. The derby is the most important (for us) for years. Usually it's important to them because it's their Cup Final but this year we really have to fight to win it, the result of that game could go some way to determining who finishes top 4. It could be us and Spurs in the top 4 of course but I suspect Uncle Roman will get his chequebook out in January to buy their top 4 finish.

Syn
27-12-2011, 06:51 PM
I'm starting to think Gervais is the wrong player. He hasn't got any balls. I've got no time for people like that. I was hoping that goal (even though he was very indecisive even with his finish) would make him more confident when approaching goal. But even though he does a lot right in carrying the ball into the penalty area, he keeps passing up the opportunity to shoot.

Rosicky had a very good game - but he also needs to take responsibility and have a crack from 20 yards.

Not saying I'm a better all-round manager than Arsene or nuffin but I would sort them out tbf. Someone just needs to shake them up, possibly a backhand too. Bitches.

Marc Overmars
27-12-2011, 07:29 PM
On another day we would have won comfortably for sure. It's just very frustrating that this has happened when our rivals fucked up and the onus was on us to take pole position for 4th.

Need 6 points from QPR and Fulham.

Olivier's xmas twist
27-12-2011, 08:26 PM
Apart from against Villa when we just HAD to win and did late on.

Today was massively frustrating but the pressure thing doesn't work as a reason today IMO. We didn't fall apart under pressure, it was an overall decent performance. Their goal was just plain bad luck. We were met with incompetent refereeing, a good defensive 11 men behind the ball performance, an outstanding goalkeeping display and yes, some incompetence from us up front but overall I can't fault our effort or performance too much. Just one of those days. It happens. If anything there's more pressure on us to get a result when our rivals win and we have to follow suit to keep pace.

One of the most frustrating games I've been to but the effort was there today, sometimes it just doesn't happen and it didn't.

Oh, i never meant it as an excuse at all, i meant was with knowing our rivals lost it became even more important to win that game, maybe once it was 1-1 could have put a lil pressure on us.

Özim
27-12-2011, 08:50 PM
Trouble is we have a horse with three legs.

Grebbo
27-12-2011, 09:08 PM
Getting 3rd looks unlikely now. So it's between us, Chavs and Pool for 4th. Not too bothered about Pool but finishing above Chelsea with their customary £50m January spend is going to be tough.

Olivier's xmas twist
27-12-2011, 09:25 PM
Getting 3rd looks unlikely now. So it's between us, Chavs and Pool for 4th. Not too bothered about Pool but finishing above Chelsea with their customary £50m January spend is going to be tough.

when did it ever look likely this season, it was always going tot be 4th to 6th and nothing has changed.

Ollie the Optimist
27-12-2011, 09:30 PM

worked well last seaosn. that torres and luiz been brilliant

Cripps_orig
27-12-2011, 09:38 PM
worked well last seaosn. that torres and luiz been brilliant

They finished 2nd....

Kano
27-12-2011, 11:00 PM
no problem with the result, not had many draws this season so another was due at some point.

made harder when they went down to ten men and sat 9 outfield players literally on the edge of their box.

between us and chelsea for fourth and the chavs time is up.

Power n Glory
27-12-2011, 11:08 PM
I'm starting to think Gervais is the wrong player. He hasn't got any balls. I've got no time for people like that. I was hoping that goal (even though he was very indecisive even with his finish) would make him more confident when approaching goal. But even though he does a lot right in carrying the ball into the penalty area, he keeps passing up the opportunity to shoot.

Rosicky had a very good game - but he also needs to take responsibility and have a crack from 20 yards.

Not saying I'm a better all-round manager than Arsene or nuffin but I would sort them out tbf. Someone just needs to shake them up, possibly a backhand too. Bitches.

Felt the same way about Hleb. You can tell that Gerv isn't a natural finisher and that was my worry when we signed him. The way he shapes his body for shots is all wrong. We can that idea of him playing up front out of our heads.

Marc Overmars
27-12-2011, 11:23 PM
Gervinho is definitely a player worth sticking with, he does lack a bit of composure in dangerous areas but he puts in the leg work that others simply don't. It's his first season with us and there is always room for improvement.

Kano
27-12-2011, 11:27 PM
he makes good runs, has pace of course and creates a worry for opposing defences. he has helped in making our game more direct because of this, meaning we do-or-die when it comes to their penalty area; we either create a chance or balls it up. which is a better option than the perfection we had been searching for in the past couple of seasons.

his finishing needs to improve but as the guy above said it's his first season and there are things that every player has to work on.

Power n Glory
27-12-2011, 11:34 PM
First season but his shooting technique is really bad. He has to learn how to sort his feet out but it's too late for that. Just have to hope for the best when he shoots.

Master Splinter
27-12-2011, 11:41 PM
on chances to score a winner...
Gervinho scored today and we had other opportunities, Arshavin was very close, Rosicky was close, Mertersaker was close. It was the kind of day where maybe we were not relaxed enough, maybe we wanted it so much, that we were a bit too much in the 'wanting zone' and not enough in just the technical zone.

'The Wanting Zone' :haha:

I'm sure Wenger does this on purpose now.

Wenger :bow:.

Syn
27-12-2011, 11:56 PM
First season but his shooting technique is really bad. He has to learn how to sort his feet out but it's too late for that. Just have to hope for the best when he shoots.

I don't know...I think it's difficult to improve on 'technique' but confidence can take you a long way. I don't really rate Adebayor's tekkers. Sure he'll crack a volley in now and then but his positioning is usually awkward when lining up for a shot. Gervais hasn't got good tekkers but he should shoot more.

I'm a bit concerned about him being this season's Chamakh. Chamakh started very well last year - we were saying the same sorts of things that we are about Gervinho; all-round play is good, ugly style but effective, works very hard etc. Chamakh also scored quite a few goals early on - was on about 10 in no time and then just didn't go any further.

In other news,

'Wanting zone' :haha:

Wenger :bow:

Great WUM.

Master Splinter
28-12-2011, 12:07 AM
Ricky will improve.

Even if he's having a terrible game, he'll still try to beat players and put in some good crosses rather than hiding like a lot of the pussies players we've had in the past. Or still have.

Definitely needs to shoot more often though. He made space for himself about ten times today, but did a Thierry Chamakh rather than have a go himself.

Power n Glory
28-12-2011, 12:25 AM
I don't know...I think it's difficult to improve on 'technique' but confidence can take you a long way. I don't really rate Adebayor's tekkers. Sure he'll crack a volley in now and then but his positioning is usually awkward when lining up for a shot. Gervais hasn't got good tekkers but he should shoot more.

I'm a bit concerned about him being this season's Chamakh. Chamakh started very well last year - we were saying the same sorts of things that we are about Gervinho; all-round play is good, ugly style but effective, works very hard etc. Chamakh also scored quite a few goals early on - was on about 10 in no time and then just didn't go any further.

In other news,

'Wanting zone' :haha:

Wenger :bow:

Great WUM.

That's why I think it's a hit and hope situation. It's the numbers game. If he grows in confidence and starts shooting on a regular, he's bound to start hitting the net. He's the type of player that will miss a few but get one at least. But if he's only get a couple of chances a game, the odds aren't in his favour.

Japan Shaking All Over
28-12-2011, 12:39 AM
We tried tippy tappy because they were playing 11/10 men behind the bally wally.

We missed Theo's width and it showed because when we went wide to Gervs he was a menac, on another given day one of those balls across the box would have been latched on to but yesterday wasnt to be. We are going to have days like thosebut the only bitch is that we have them in the same week our rivals do, and we miss the chance to claw some points back.

There is no shadow of a doubt we need to bring players in. . .but I disagree with the Gerv haters, Syn my be right the guy needs to grow a pair or at least get the monkey of
indecisiveness off his back but the guy looks to attack on the run and isnt in the square ball across the area upteem times mold.

I havent seen the other results but I take it by all the doom and gloom about 3rd and 4th that the spuds won. We have plenty of games left to get points back, we need to play them again and win and get as many points as poss in the next run of games before manyoo

Olivier's xmas twist
28-12-2011, 11:32 AM
'The Wanting Zone' :haha:

I'm sure Wenger does this on purpose now.

Wenger :bow:.

he better not start that waiting period shite come Jan.

Cripps_orig
29-12-2011, 04:16 PM
The Pub Teamer who got sent off has had his appeal rejected

McCarthy :pal:

Did look a decent challenge tbh

FA :doh:

Xhaka Can’t
29-12-2011, 07:55 PM
Awful awful awful decision.

dazthegooner
29-12-2011, 07:58 PM
Yep and it doesn't help Arsenal's reputation either seems like we always get the bad press think we should adopt the Millwall anthem 'No one likes us we don't care'

KSE Comedy Club
29-12-2011, 11:08 PM
Glad to see the FA can get things right sometimes.He went in studs up. Dangerous, end of.He could've easily broke arteta's ankle with that tackle.

Master Splinter
30-12-2011, 01:18 AM
Song gets away with one and scummy opposition get punished?

What's not to like?