PDA

View Full Version : Top four? No chance!

Ashburton2006
27-12-2011, 11:45 PM
Don't care if I get called a spud! But what a fucking shit day for footy! We can't beat a fucking pub team with 26 shots on goal and 73 per cent of the play! And to make it worse the shit side of north London win again with ease! Wenger! Buy a striker and a decent midfielder you twat! FFS!!

Syn
27-12-2011, 11:57 PM
I'm reasonably confident we'll finish in the top 4.

Coney
28-12-2011, 01:19 AM
Don't care if I get called a spud! But what a fucking shit day for footy! We can't beat a fucking pub team with 26 shots on goal and 73 per cent of the play! And to make it worse the shit side of north London win again with ease! Wenger! Buy a striker and a decent midfielder you twat! FFS!!

Back again. You only turn up when the team doesn't win. You never turn up to say well done all the other times we have had a good result. You just have to be a spud.

Marc Overmars
28-12-2011, 08:15 AM
It's going to be tough but we have just as much chance as our rivals do.

Yesterday was a very poor result but it's not like we've got a mountain to climb. If you think we can win the league then yes by all means go nuts, because that's not happening for shit, but 4th place? Half the season to go and we're a point behind, there's everything to play for.

Xhaka Can’t
28-12-2011, 09:11 AM
Sad. Pathetic. Spud.

Letters
28-12-2011, 09:20 AM
I'm reasonably confident we'll finish in the top 4.

I'm certain we've got the ability but the over-reliance on RvP is a concern if we don't strengthen in January.
It's nonsense to say we have no chance.

Spurs are 5 points ahead of us with a game in hand.
Exactly where they were in October. Their good run has been matched by ours.
As I said in the match reaction thread, we've been away to all the top sides now. Spurs still have to go to City, Chelsea and come to the Emirates. That game will be key.

Long way to go yet, marathon not a sprint.

This thread is kneejerk bullshit from a poster we all associate with such threads.

:sleep:

Xhaka Can’t
28-12-2011, 09:25 AM
If it looks like a potato, smells like a potato and chips like a potato, it's a spud.

selassie
28-12-2011, 10:01 AM
Pains me to say this but I think the Spuds are a shoe-in for top 4 this season, I know they have some difficult games coming up in January but I honestly think they are capable of winning anywhere this season, makes me sick saying this but Redknapp has built a very decent team/squad.

I think the battle for 4th place is between us, Chelsea & Liverpool. I think Chelsea are slight favourites at the moment if I'm honest with us second favourites and then Liverpool as the outsiders.

A lot depends on the January Window, we all know Chelsea will buy. Liverpool may buy too....it just worries me what we'll do, we absolutely need top class offensive signings, we need a top class forward & top class winger as the bare minimum.

I'm quite prepared for us to not make top 4 this season, yes we have improved from our poor start but I really don't think we're any better than any of our rivals who we're competing with for top 4, it's going to come down to who is the most consistent team.

Xhaka Can’t
28-12-2011, 10:11 AM
Top 4 is in danger. We are buying.

selassie
28-12-2011, 10:15 AM
Top 4 is in danger. We are buying.

I think we'll buy/do some business it just worries me who we'll buy. Seeing us linked to players like Wayne Bridge doesn't inspire me with confidence. The sad thing is signing Wayne Bridge is probably more likely than signing someone like Lukas Podalski.

I personally think we need 2 proper signings, real quality.

Grebbo
28-12-2011, 10:20 AM
It's going to be difficult now. We're basically up against Chelsea and their impending January transfer splurge. Liverpool also might pose a threat.

It's a big ask to finish fourth and too big an ask for this current squad.

And fans thinking we're going to sign quality in January?? Think again! Where have you been for the last 6 years????

Coney
28-12-2011, 10:35 AM
It's going to be difficult now. We're basically up against Chelsea and their impending January transfer splurge. Liverpool also might pose a threat.

It's a big ask to finish fourth and too big an ask for this current squad.

And fans thinking we're going to sign quality in January?? Think again! Where have you been for the last 6 years????

You didn't notice us buying players in August then, beefing up the squad, increasing our resiliance with pretty immediate and consistent results? After the defeats and thrashings we had in August, making us look like relegation fodder, we are now a point off top 4. But for the glitch yesterday, we would have pushed chavs into 5th. There will be no problem with Wenger being able to spend in January as the loss of a top 4 slot would have such an impact on the finances and potentially mean a loss for several years.

And yes - I think he will try and buy quality. If you mean a massive name from Barca or something like that, then it is less likely, but there are good players who don't currently play for the big name teams that we can get.

Marc Overmars
28-12-2011, 10:52 AM
I think there is a strong chance we'll buy next month. Wenger must be fed up with Chamakh and Arshavin by now, he gets nothing from them. Park doesn't even make most squads so we can only assume Wenger thinks he's lightweight and not ready, which begs the question how will he ever be ready without game time?

It's not fair to say we are a one man team because that ignores the important contributions of others, however when your CB (Vermaelen) is as good a bet to score as the other forwards, you know you aren't getting enough elsewhere. If anything is going to cost us 4th, it will be the poor squad depth up front.

RVP looks like he may be entering a mini drought of sorts, having scored just once from open play in 4 games. In that time no one has really stepped up to the level required, and it's shown in the performances which have dropped down a gear, and the relative lack of goals scored over the past couple weeks.

Grebbo
28-12-2011, 11:14 AM
We'll buy but we won't buy top players. We're competing against Chelsea for the rest of the season and we need top quality.

Arteta, Santos, Merts are not top quality - they wouldn't even get into Tottenham's team.

Olivier's xmas twist
28-12-2011, 11:30 AM

were only a point behind Chelsea its not like they are flying high. We can ctach spuds if we beef up the squad. All yesterday did was confirm us out the league more or less.

Japan Shaking All Over
28-12-2011, 11:34 AM
Merts I feel has got better and better and the centre of defence did little wrong yesterday!
Their goal was somewhat fortuitous, and although the marking could have been better, that stuff is going to happen.
Everybody knows that the squad is not complete and Wenger should go out a buy in Jan but we are not doing badly but that can also be said of our closest rivals.
Last night was a set back and it kind of reminded me of the over elaborate style were playing last year, we needed to seal the game but didnt.

Saturday offers us a chance to get back on track, no doubt QPR will come with a plan it is our job to counter that. Its no time to rest RvP he is our caotain and needs to set the example. . .4th place out of reach. . ,.fuck off is it and nor is third. . .we still got to play the teams above us again and by winning we claw points back. . .can we do it? Will have to wait and see. . ..

One thing for sure I expect the team to beliwve they can. . .we are mentally stronger now, want to see us sjow we have the physical balls to match. . .

Over optimistic. . .:shrug: its better than the tit that started this thread

Olivier's xmas twist
28-12-2011, 11:39 AM
Merts I feel has got better and better and the centre of defence did little wrong yesterday!
Their goal was somewhat fortuitous, and although the marking could have been better, that stuff is going to happen.
Everybody knows that the squad is not complete and Wenger should go out a buy in Jan but we are not doing badly but that can also be said of our closest rivals.
Last night was a set back and it kind of reminded me of the over elaborate style were playing last year, we needed to seal the game but didnt.

Saturday offers us a chance to get back on track, no doubt QPR will come with a plan it is our job to counter that. Its no time to rest RvP he is our caotain and needs to set the example. . .4th place out of reach. . ,.fuck off is it and nor is third. . .we still got to play the teams above us again and by winning we claw points back. . .can we do it? Will have to wait and see. . ..

One thing for sure I expect the team to beliwve they can. . .we are mentally stronger now, want to see us sjow we have the physical balls to match. . .

Over optimistic. . .:shrug: its better than the tit that started this thread

This, No point in thinking QPR are easy pickings only to drop more points. Lets hope Chamahk did not damage Rvp too bad.

Japan Shaking All Over
28-12-2011, 11:51 AM
Chamakh. . .cant fault his enthusiastism but he just have the ability to change a game. . .to be wholly fair few do with 5 mins here and there. . .

Arshavin is the one for me. . .he was better last night than against Villa. . .both players I would like to see do well. . .as by doing so the team benefits but even if they did for one game I can never believe that iy would be carried over onto the next game. . .when you consider the effort he puts in, I can never fathom the hate Gervs gets. . .a decision making nightmare and with a touch as heavy as a medicine ball bit come on he puts in a shift and keeps defences on their toes

Shaqiri Is Boss
28-12-2011, 11:56 AM
I think the battle for 4th place is between us, Chelsea & Liverpool. I think Chelsea are slight favourites at the moment if I'm honest with us second favourites and then Liverpool as the outsiders.

A lot depends on the January Window, we all know Chelsea will buy. Liverpool may buy too....

We need to buy a finisher and a defensive midfielder if we're going to challenge for 4th otherwise we're no hopers.

Coney
28-12-2011, 12:31 PM
We'll buy but we won't buy top players. We're competing against Chelsea for the rest of the season and we need top quality.

Arteta, Santos, Merts are not top quality - they wouldn't even get into Tottenham's team.

Funny thing is that since we bought Arteta and Merts, we've done very well. Depends what you mean by 'top quality' and what you need in the team. At the start of the season we needed some experience and backbone. Wenger bought exactly that, and correctly, judging by the results. Clearly since the forwards other than RvP did not step up to the mark, we need that sorting out, but I'm sure Wenger knows that. The draw with Wolves was partly unlucky as their goal was caused by a deflection happening to go straight to one of their players. Shit happens. However, we are still not putting the chances away and I'd put top priority on a striker that can take the chances - if we put more chances away, the odd flukey goal would not matter. Holding onto 1-0 to the Arsenal is risky!

Japan Shaking All Over
28-12-2011, 02:40 PM
Isnt it funny how this squad, devoid of top quality is where it is, admittedly not top of the stack but putting up numbers that indicate we are one of the form teams in the PL

Coney
28-12-2011, 02:52 PM
Isnt it funny how this squad, devoid of top quality is where it is, admittedly not top of the stack but putting up numbers that indicate we are one of the form teams in the PL

:good:

Anyone would think football is a team game.

Olivier's xmas twist
28-12-2011, 03:00 PM

1 they are doing a job for us, this season thats alll that matters.

2 Who cares if they will get into spuds team, tells us nothing that does it, When did we worry about players geting into spuds team.

Cripps_orig
28-12-2011, 03:00 PM
Top 3 are done and sorted.

Between us, Chavs and Liverpool for 4th

Liverpool are shit, we arent much better and Chelsea will spend mega bucks in January so i agree with the OP

selassie
28-12-2011, 03:09 PM

I wouldn't say the squad is devoid of top quality but I would say that we could do with a few more top quality additions to take us to the next level. I don't think anybody could put a case up to say we're better off now than we were last season. The facts are we've lost 1 world class player & 1 near to world class player and replaced them with inferior players.

Sure we've improved from our awful start this season, our current form on the whole is impressive, however I do think we're a RVP injury away from our season falling apart. We've not had to rely on one player as much as this since Thierry Henry back in 2005/2006.

I do feel we need to buy and I'm not talking about youth projects from league one or developing players from european leagues, we need real quality, they can be young ala Goetze or Hazard, but this team needs that star factor added in a few positions IMHO.

Grebbo
28-12-2011, 04:18 PM

Who are you comparing us to? If it's the teams below us then yes, we have quality. If it's the teams above us then we're lacking in quality - no doubt about it.

Do you think our squad is good enough to overhaul Chelsea? I don't and come end of January it definitely won't be.

Grebbo
28-12-2011, 04:19 PM
1 they are doing a job for us, this season thats alll that matters.

2 Who cares if they will get into spuds team, tells us nothing that does it, When did we worry about players geting into spuds team.

Well, yes, obviously they're doing a job for us but they're nothing special. I'm comparing them to Spuds because it shows how much quality we lack.

21_GOONER_SALUTE
28-12-2011, 05:08 PM
AW will not buy (loans a maybe, signings for the always more important future a maybe).
Our points tally for the 2nd half of the season will be similar or slightly less than what we have now.
Thus we will only finish in the top 4 if someone collapses.

You can quote me if you want to at the end of the season.

Coney
28-12-2011, 05:08 PM
Well, yes, obviously they're doing a job for us but they're nothing special. I'm comparing them to Spuds because it shows how much quality we lack.

I'd rather they did a 'job for us' than were something 'special' not doing a job for us.

McNamara That Ghost...
29-12-2011, 12:48 AM
The idea of finishing above Chelsea is probably the toughest task we have. Even when they have been at their lowest ebb of Abramovich being there, they end up finishing above us. Having said that, I think if we were to finish fifth we'll probably do so with the record points total there has been, which I suppose you could consider unfortunate.

Master Splinter
29-12-2011, 06:46 AM
Chelsea finishing outside the top four would be one of the biggest disasters in football management (the owners and coaching staff) ever.

Actually, they shouldn't ever finish outside the top three given the money they've spent.

Japan Shaking All Over
29-12-2011, 08:44 AM
Who are you comparing us to? If it's the teams below us then yes, we have quality. If it's the teams above us then we're lacking in quality - no doubt about it.

Do you think our squad is good enough to overhaul Chelsea? I don't and come end of January it definitely won't be.

Yes, we are better than the teams below us. . .and even after removing my Arsenal tainted glasses, I see nothing to fear from Chelsea nor Tottenham come visits to the Emirates

Dont get me wrong we need to look to strengthen next month in order to bring us even closer. . .to those above us. . .and the fact we as close without spending the ridiculous amount some have speaks volumes for the hardwork put in by those at the club apart fron the money grabbing twats in the board room.

I am not disillusioned, we need to work hard to keep the momentum going but with what Ive seen so far, I believe more in the current crop than the bunch of bottlers that finished last season. . . .

selassie
29-12-2011, 09:14 AM
I think if we were to finish fifth we'll probably do so with the record points total there has been, which I suppose you could consider unfortunate.

Or just a disastrous summer? It didn't even need to be like this...why we make such hard work of improving the squad is just beyond me. Sad thing is if we would have been proactive in the summer in addition to making the panic purchases we'd probably be duking it out with the Manchester clubs.

Coney
29-12-2011, 09:30 AM
Or just a disastrous summer? It didn't even need to be like this...why we make such hard work of improving the squad is just beyond me. Sad thing is if we would have been proactive in the summer in addition to making the panic purchases we'd probably be duking it out with the Manchester clubs.

Getting Benny and Arteta at last minute after the Nasri and Cesc issues were sorted out late was not a problem. The thing I am sure we did wrongly was not getting the defenders in during July as that was not dependent on any other issues. It could have made a significant difference to our August results, perhaps giving us 6 or more points more than we have now with a fair wind. We would actually be considered to be in the title mix.

Coney
29-12-2011, 09:32 AM
I am not disillusioned, we need to work hard to keep the momentum going but with what Ive seen so far, I believe more in the current crop than the bunch of bottlers that finished last season. . . .

Yes - we are definitely a mentally stronger team with the purchases over the summer giving some backbone to the squad. The change since they joined has been very clear.

McNamara That Ghost...
29-12-2011, 09:49 AM

Well no, I don't accept the summer as being a reason now. We're up there around that area we have been for years, it's probably what we do in the January transfer window (as tough as it is) that is the most important thing. Plus for such a 'disastrous' summer, we're doing about as well in the league as we did last season, in terms of points. And I don't think we'd have been up there with the Manchester clubs, they're on an insane level of consistency.

Coney
29-12-2011, 10:26 AM
Chelsea finishing outside the top four would be one of the biggest disasters in football management (the owners and coaching staff) ever.

Actually, they shouldn't ever finish outside the top three given the money they've spent.

We can but hope. It would be good if they did end up outside the top 4. Their consistency - or lack of it - this year has been terrible. (he he)

selassie
29-12-2011, 02:20 PM
Well no, I don't accept the summer as being a reason now. We're up there around that area we have been for years, it's probably what we do in the January transfer window (as tough as it is) that is the most important thing. Plus for such a 'disastrous' summer, we're doing about as well in the league as we did last season, in terms of points. And I don't think we'd have been up there with the Manchester clubs, they're on an insane level of consistency.

Fair play, that's your opinion and I respect it. January is important...but we've been saying for a number of years that the next transfer window is Arsene's most important. I personally think he could have done a lot more over the past few windows but that's just me.

McNamara That Ghost...
29-12-2011, 02:28 PM
Fair play, that's your opinion and I respect it. January is important...but we've been saying for a number of years that the next transfer window is Arsene's most important. I personally think he could have done a lot more over the past few windows but that's just me.

Yeah but the difference for this one, is that we supposedly had a disastrous one (and this time results were really, really terrible) and we're still basically where we were last season. And as it proved, what we did end up doing, last minute though it was, probably saved us from being much further down than we otherwise might have been.

Of course we could've done more in the summer and windows but, that has long now.

I wouldn't say it is just you at all! I am sure we have all felt like that and quite possibly might do again. Although I have said elsewhere I think we will buy in January, mainly because getting fourth is in real danger but the buys that have happened on those occasions haven't exactly turned out well. Diaby, Adebayor, Walcott and Arshavin were all bought under that context - I guess it's probably not too inspiring.

Ollie the Optimist
29-12-2011, 02:32 PM
with the scum, how many big teams have they played? us, city, liverpool and chavs. all at home. they took 7 points from that. lets see how they do in feb before waxing lyical about them. they have to go to us, city, united, liverpool and play united at home all in about a two month period. they havnt done anything special yet.

Letters
30-12-2011, 10:34 AM
with the scum, how many big teams have they played? us, city, liverpool and chavs. all at home. they took 7 points from that. lets see how they do in feb before waxing lyical about them. they have to go to us, city, united, liverpool and play united at home all in about a two month period. they havnt done anything special yet.

:gp:

Right now I'd make them favourites to finish top 4 over us but it's close and they've got a lot of difficult away games to come, games we've already got out of the way.

GP
30-12-2011, 10:46 AM
We will finish above Spurs.

If I'm wrong, you can ban Ollie.

Letters
30-12-2011, 10:53 AM
Win win

:dance:

Flavs
31-12-2011, 06:43 AM

Cunt

Ashburton2006
01-01-2012, 06:02 PM
We will finish above Spurs.If I'm wrong, you can ban Ollie.After the united and city results I am seriously worried that this leaves the spuds with a chance to actually win the premier league! And contrary to peoples thoughts on this, that is severely depressing! Fuck that man!

GP
01-01-2012, 06:04 PM
After the united and city results I am seriously worried that this leaves the spuds with a chance to actually win the premier league! And contrary to peoples thoughts on this, that is severely depressing! Fuck that man!

:haha:

You're embarrassing yourself now

Marc Overmars
01-01-2012, 06:08 PM
Spurs won't win the league. :rolleyes:

Niall_Quinn
01-01-2012, 06:39 PM
After the united and city results I am seriously worried that this leaves the spuds with a chance to actually win the premier league! And contrary to peoples thoughts on this, that is severely depressing! Fuck that man!

Silliest posting of the year NAILED on Jan 1 - stylish!

Xhaka Can’t
01-01-2012, 06:42 PM

I bet you were celebrating the 3 points against Swansea before the match kicked off.

Are you this premature in everything you do?

Xhaka Can’t
01-01-2012, 06:43 PM

Nah, this is what passes for 'cool' over on 'Glory Glory'.

Master Splinter
02-01-2012, 12:02 AM

Just now?

selassie
02-01-2012, 07:35 PM
The race for top 4 will probably go down to the last day, still think we need to invest in 1 or 2 top quality players to cement top four this season.

McNamara That Ghost...
02-01-2012, 07:36 PM
See what I mean about Chelsea? :lol: We find it near impossible to stay ahead of them.

Marc Overmars
02-01-2012, 07:40 PM
It's funny because everyone is as shit as each other.

Joker
02-01-2012, 07:42 PM
If we don't sign at least 3 players (apart from Henry) we're not getting 4th place. We need a creative midfielder, a fullback (on a short-term deal most likely) and a striker.

Cripps_orig
02-01-2012, 07:43 PM
We arent finishing top 4

alexander
02-01-2012, 09:13 PM
We arent finishing top 4

sadly, agree with this. Bloody Wenger not signing quality.

Olivier's xmas twist
02-01-2012, 09:17 PM
We arent finishing top 4

you seen into the future then.

Cripps_orig
02-01-2012, 09:19 PM
you seen into the future then.Doesnt take a genius to work it out.

We wont bring in quality this month.

Chelsea will

They will get 4th if not higher, Spuds will be the other team.

Olivier's xmas twist
02-01-2012, 09:21 PM
Doesnt take a genius to work it out.

Chelsea willThey will get 4th if not higher, Spuds will be the other team.

no way of knowing that.

only transfer deadline day will really tell us whats what.

Cripps_orig
02-01-2012, 09:23 PM
No way of knowing that?

Have you not seen the last 4 transfer windows?

Niall_Quinn
02-01-2012, 09:23 PM
If we don't sign at least 3 players (apart from Henry) we're not getting 4th place. We need a creative midfielder, a fullback (on a short-term deal most likely) and a striker.

We've already done our January business.

Olivier's xmas twist
02-01-2012, 09:27 PM
No way of knowing that?

Yes, Does not mean we won't sign players though.

Do i think we cam finish top 4 yes, do i think we will hard to say.

Your right, if chavs strenghen ad we don't then we can forget about it, if we do then who knows.

Letters
02-01-2012, 09:49 PM
No way of knowing that?

In the last one we actually did OK. We took far too long about it but the deadline day deals were quite good IMO

Cripps_orig
02-01-2012, 09:55 PM
In the last one we actually did OK. We took far too long about it but the deadline day deals were quite good IMOWe should have made those deals before the season started as we had a horror of a first few games. Those deals should not have been done on the last day as panic set in. Any deadline day deals should have been to touch up the squad here and there, not be our major summer signings. Thats why that window was a really poor one

Letters
02-01-2012, 09:59 PM
Agreed, although I'm generally happy with the business we did in the end.
As LDG said in the match reaction thread, we should be doing these things proactively, not reactively.
But surely, given how the table is right now, Wenger/The Board/Both must realise we have to do something about the squad so maybe they'll do something in January.

If not then :ilt:

Cripps_orig
02-01-2012, 10:01 PM
We've been living on "maybe" for a few years now.

One can have enough

Niall_Quinn
02-01-2012, 10:10 PM
Agreed, although I'm generally happy with the business we did in the end.
As LDG said in the match reaction thread, we should be doing these things proactively, not reactively.
But surely, given how the table is right now, Wenger/The Board/Both must realise we have to do something about the squad so maybe they'll do something in January.

If not then :ilt:

More chance of seeing ticket prices raised this January than a serious signing I'm afraid.

Cripps_orig
02-01-2012, 10:16 PM
An chance of us bringing in some quality before the Man utd game this month?

Or will it be August all over again?

Niall_Quinn
02-01-2012, 10:19 PM
An chance of us bringing in some quality before the Man utd game this month?

Or will it be August all over again?

Wilshere and Sagna should be back by 2048 so there's no real need for signings tbf. Although I do think the ticket prices urgently need to be increased.

Grebbo
02-01-2012, 11:26 PM
We need to sign three world class players to finish fourth.

Will Wenger take the easy option and do nothing?

The easy, and most likely, option for Wenger is to do nothing of note in this window. It's far more comfortable for him to sit back at the end of the season and say "we missed out on fourth by a couple of points but we only spent £2.50 and Chelsea spunked £50m to get fourth".

That's been Arsene's rhetoric for several years now. It makes sense. He's scared to spend because the safety blanket of his transfer budget surplus will make him look much less of a manager.

Now is the time for Wenger to be brave and TAKE A RISK. Do nothing and we won't finish fourth, do something and at least he's tried (and done his job). It's not as if we don't have any money to spend.

After all, it's only a risk if you don't know what you're doing.

selassie
02-01-2012, 11:32 PM
Doesnt take a genius to work it out.

Chelsea will

They will get 4th if not higher, Spuds will be the other team.

Sad thing is the Spuds will probably invest in quality too just to make sure they cement top 4. It makes me sick to the stomach that we just sit there and watch all the teams around us buy quality whilst we go and raid the bargain bucket for the cast offs that nobody else wants.

Why on earth did we move to this state of the art stadium if we refuse to strengthen the team?

Cripps_orig
02-01-2012, 11:36 PM
Why on earth did we move to this state of the art stadium if we refuse to strengthen the team?The million dollar question and a question that should be put to Wenger.

Whilst the stadium was being built, all we heard was that when its done, we can compete with the best in the world in terms of signing players.

We've done f all. We have been lied to season in and out and sooner manager and board are out of here and the Russian takes over the better

Marc Overmars
02-01-2012, 11:42 PM
We will buy IMO. We have a month to do it, lets not write this window off just yet.

Olivier's xmas twist
02-01-2012, 11:43 PM
The million dollar question and a question that should be put to Wenger.Whilst the stadium was being built, all we heard was that when its done, we can compete with the best in the world in terms of signing players.

We've done f all. We have been lied to season in and out and sooner manager and board are out of here and the Russian takes over the better

Why, Its a no brainer Stay at highbury and be left even further behind. I doubt this was wengers vision when he heard we were moving.

as for the russian coming in never going to happen the suppoters trust will never allow it.

Niall_Quinn
02-01-2012, 11:46 PM
Same question as always. Who has benefited from this move, who has lost out? There are several hundred million pieces of evidence to explain very clearly why we now struggle for 4th PLUS struggle to compete financially. However, everything that was required to prepare the club for sale (at a huge - massive - profit for those concerned) was carefully executed even when it hurt the club.

Grebbo
02-01-2012, 11:57 PM
Same question as always. Who has benefited from this move, who has lost out? There are several hundred million pieces of evidence to explain very clearly why we now struggle for 4th PLUS struggle to compete financially. However, everything that was required to prepare the club for sale (at a huge - massive - profit for those concerned) was carefully executed even when it hurt the club.

Fiszman's wife has the loot, let's get her.

Grebbo
03-01-2012, 12:01 AM
Sad thing is the Spuds will probably invest in quality too just to make sure they cement top 4. It makes me sick to the stomach that we just sit there and watch all the teams around us buy quality whilst we go and raid the bargain bucket for the cast offs that nobody else wants.

Why on earth did we move to this state of the art stadium if we refuse to strengthen the team?

The irony is Spurs' piddly little stadium and wage bill has produced a team that will finish above us this season. Our massive stadium and wage bill hasn't really produced much.

A couple of gems, whilst ugly, have really propelled them to the next level. Bale (we got Walcott) and Modric (Wasn't he supposed to be too small for the Prem Wenger?).

We are severely lacking star quality.

gunnerrrrr
03-01-2012, 12:02 AM
people can talk about our move etc as much as they want.
the failings we show are now down to one person - Wenger

Under his stewardship we went from constantly competing for a top 2 position, and make no mistake about it, there were some outstanding teams in the prem during that time, to now struggling to make top 4.

Who is to blame for the contract fuck ups time after time...Edu, Flamini, Nasri and now RVP to name but a few.

Who sold Viera for good money and never replaced him, who sold Henry, Cesc, Nasri, Hleb etc and never bought in similar quality players.

Who thought signing Park, Squilachi, Chamack etc would improve this squad.

Who keeps players like Diaby, Rosicky, Asharvin etc etc etc on the payroll.

No we cannot compete with the top top bracket players, but i think as a football coach Wenger is one of the best in the world, if not the best so surley he can bring in the quality of player a tier below the world class and workd with them.

I am talking about the Podolskis of this world.

When Spuds signed Bale, Modric we were in for both of them but Wenger had youngsters who had proven nothing coming through so he did not pursue and look at what they are now doing.

We now only have ONE world class footballer in our squad in RVP, you look at the very best in Europe, the benchmark Barca and they have 8?9?10?.

The biggest issue is and will be Wengers stubbornness and pride. He will not accept he was wrong even if it is too our detriment, hence the reason we keep seeing Chamack, Asharvin, Roskicy, Squalichi in the squad and Oxo left out. Everyone knows Oxo is going to be class so Wenger can take his time, but the other useless fucks Wenger wants to show everyone he was right and they were wrong so he will keep giving them chances.

In summary its a fucking joke.

Syn
03-01-2012, 12:05 AM
Grebbo, you say this shit every year. And every year we finish at least 4th. This year will be no different. But I agree that the club won't spend to buy anybody of note. But we've got a decent team. wilshere will probably provide a boost and he's much better than modric.

gunnerrrrr
03-01-2012, 12:07 AM
Grebbo, you say this shit every year. And every year we finish at least 4th. This year will be no different. But I agree that the club won't spend to buy anybody of note. But we've got a decent team. wilshere will probably provide a boost and he's much better than modric.
You are missing the point mate.

We are fucking Arsenal FC..not Spuds, 4th should never be good enough more so when we fans pay what we do to watch these guys.

Grebbo
03-01-2012, 12:12 AM

I don't actually. Most seasons I say at the start that I'll be happy with fourth - very different statements.

Wilshere is not much better than Modric. It's amazing how much Jack's stock has risen since he's been out. I think people are in for a shock when he comes back, he's still inconsistent and is learning the game. He certainly won't be enough to get us fourth.

I've seen a fair bit of Spurs and they're a very good team, forget about them, they're out of sight - have you seen their upcoming fixtures??

We're in a straight fight with Chelsea. Do you think Chelsea will finish 5th? Chelsea?! I don't.

Marc Overmars
03-01-2012, 12:14 AM

You've got to admit this year the task of finishing 4th is much different to what it's been in recent years though. We've always been where Spurs are now, on the periphery of the title race but comfortably in the top 4.

This year we're jostling for 1 position with 2 other clubs. I wouldn't be so confident just yet because it looks like going to the wire.

That's also why I think we'll buy this month.

Xhaka Can’t
03-01-2012, 09:17 AM
people can talk about our move etc as much as they want.
the failings we show are now down to one person - Wenger

Under his stewardship we went from constantly competing for a top 2 position, and make no mistake about it, there were some outstanding teams in the prem during that time, to now struggling to make top 4.

Who is to blame for the contract fuck ups time after time...Edu, Flamini, Nasri and now RVP to name but a few.

I don't disagree with a lot of your post - but I seem to remember a lot of 12th place finishes with the best of recent years prior to him joining being 5th. As for contract fuck ups the blame lies with the Club hierarchy. If Wenger is responsible for agreeing contracts with players, what is the point of Gazidis? If you're right about that - the Board are negligent.

Ralpheroo72
03-01-2012, 11:43 AM
If we dont bring in a permanent partner for RVP, we wont finish 4th. Theo is a talented sprinter and Gervinho is not an out and out striker. We needed a striker in the summer, and Wenger buys Park? Crazy.

Kano
03-01-2012, 11:46 AM
given rvp's form, any 'big name' striker will look and realise he would be spending a lot of time on the bench.

if wenger can find a sub 10 mill striker ready to be patient, then go for it.

but this isn't football manager 2012 and it's not as easy as shopping in tescos.

Coney
03-01-2012, 01:06 PM
Drogba might want to leave Chavs.

Niall_Quinn
03-01-2012, 01:12 PM
Drogba might want to leave Chavs.

Not in January and not with CL footie coming up.

Kano
03-01-2012, 01:16 PM
and not to us

Coney
03-01-2012, 01:16 PM
Not in January and not with CL footie coming up.

np. Just stirring. :good:

Olivier's xmas twist
03-01-2012, 04:22 PM
The irony is Spurs' piddly little stadium and wage bill has produced a team that will finish above us this season. Our massive stadium and wage bill hasn't really produced much.

Thats why Spurs want to move to better their long term and thats why they finished above us last season. The reason they are doing better then us is because we lost out best to players they kept theirs, nothing to do with the stadiums.

Their team never had the same pressures ours did start of the season you could even say they are punching above their weight tbf.

i doubt it modric and bale had left they be where they are today.

Marc Overmars
03-01-2012, 04:25 PM
They could be 9 points ahead of us by the time we next play.

:rose:

Cripps_orig
03-01-2012, 04:28 PM
Forget Spurs.

They are away and clear.

We have to hope that Chelsea implode despite their new signings. Cant see it but im an optimistic guy

Olivier's xmas twist
03-01-2012, 04:30 PM
Chelsea will struggle this half of the season and even if they buy it won't change a thing.

Cripps_orig
03-01-2012, 04:31 PM
Chelsea will struggle this half of the season and even if they buy it won't change a thing.Like last season?...

And they were in an even worse run then

Letters
03-01-2012, 04:32 PM
Forget Spurs.

They are away and clear.

No they're not. They still have a lot of tough away games to come yet. They've not been to City, Chelsea or us.
We've had all our tough away games. We lost most of them, granted, but at least they're out of the way.
If I had to put money on it I'd definitely back Spurs to finish above us. Pains to say it but they look better than us this season.
It's absolutely not done and dusted though, if you've been football more than 5 minutes you'll know a lot can change over, say, 10 games.

Niall_Quinn
03-01-2012, 04:33 PM
Forget Spurs.

They are away and clear.

We have to hope that Chelsea implode despite their new signings. Cant see it but im an optimistic guy

2010 - Chavs dressing room. "Forget Arsenal they are away and clear, the title is ALWAYS won in January"

Cripps_orig
03-01-2012, 04:35 PM
No doubt Spuds will lose a few points here and there and they wont be as good in the 2nd half of the season a they were in the first.

However, we'll lose just as many points if not more.

Niall_Quinn
03-01-2012, 04:37 PM
No doubt Spuds will lose a few points here and there and they wont be as good in the 2nd half of the season a they were in the first.

Could be even worse than that. We have half our team to come back so that's not going to help.

Letters
03-01-2012, 04:37 PM

Maybe. I'd go so far as to say probably. But it's not done yet. It's not like we're 6 points behind with only 2 games left, there are loads of games left and a lot can happen. They're favourites certainly, but that's all.

Niall_Quinn
03-01-2012, 04:38 PM
Maybe. I'd go so far as to say probably. But it's not done yet. It's not like we're 6 points behind with only 2 games left, there are loads of games left and a lot can happen. They're favourites certainly, but that's all.

Don't think they're favourites. They'll be making crappy excuses about lasagne come May.

Cripps_orig
03-01-2012, 04:39 PM
Could be even worse than that. We have half our team to come back so that's not going to help.And when they do come back, the other half will be out injured. Our medical staff is known as the worst in the business for a reason

Letters
03-01-2012, 04:40 PM
And when they do come back, the other half will be out injured. Our medical staff is known as the worst in the business for a reason

it's not known as the worst in the business. you know this of course.

Letters
03-01-2012, 04:41 PM
Don't think they're favourites. They'll be making crappy excuses about lasagne come May.

That would be nice although unfortunately I actually think they're pretty good this year. We'll see. The pressure may get to them.

Kano
03-01-2012, 04:41 PM
not sure why finishing above spurs is so important, being in top 4 is all that counts.

Niall_Quinn
03-01-2012, 04:42 PM
And when they do come back, the other half will be out injured. Our medical staff is known as the worst in the business for a reason

I think if we can be as negative and defeatist as possible it will help the team greatly.

Letters
03-01-2012, 04:43 PM
not sure why finishing above spurs is so important, being in top 4 is all that counts.

I really shouldn't need to explain to an Arsenal fan why that's important. Although if we do finish above Spurs then we will be in the top 4.

Niall_Quinn
03-01-2012, 04:43 PM

Shitty post ALERT!

The FIRST duty is to finish above the spuds. It's all gravy after that.

Kano
03-01-2012, 04:44 PM
not really and definitely not this season

Olivier's xmas twist
03-01-2012, 05:08 PM

Stop talking sense only Wummery allowed on here tbh.

Cripps_orig
03-01-2012, 05:13 PM
I think if we can be as negative and defeatist as possible it will help the team greatly.Like yourself and your helpful comments and views on certain players no matter how they play?

Niall_Quinn
03-01-2012, 05:14 PM
Like yourself and your helpful comments and views on certain players no matter how they play?

Walcott is shit.

Letters
03-01-2012, 05:15 PM
Like yourself and your helpful comments and views on certain players no matter how they play?

*BANG*

There goes another ironymeter.

Cripps_orig
03-01-2012, 05:19 PM
*BANG*

There goes another ironymeter.I think you need to look up the word irony

I praise players when they do well. I just dont think they are the best players in the country as some do on here after a few good games. Kos and Ches are prime examples. You know this of course

Olivier's xmas twist
03-01-2012, 05:20 PM

Pot kettle and black come to mind

Cripps_orig
03-01-2012, 05:21 PM
Pot kettle and black come to mindRead above

Letters
03-01-2012, 05:28 PM
I praise players when they do well.

No. You point score when the players who are your little favourites do well. You dismiss it when they do poorly.
You do the opposite with the players you don't like.

I just dont think they are the best players in the country as some do on here after a few good games. Kos and Ches are prime examples

No-one on here does that. Most people just call it like they see it when players are having a good, or bad, run of form.
You know this of course.

Cripps_orig
03-01-2012, 05:30 PM
You havent seen people and by people i mean Ollie and MS amongst others so it doesnt really back me up call Kos the best CB in the country and Ches the best keeper in the country?

As for point scoring, maybe. Once upon a time, definitely. I aint going to deny it but nowadays i dont have any favourites so its a bit hard to point score tbf

Letters
03-01-2012, 05:32 PM
You havent seen people and by people i mean Ollie and MS amongst others so it doesnt really back me up call Kos the best CB in the country and Ches the best keeper in the country?

I haven't but if I did then I'd think it equally ridiculous as someone calling them inept for making a couple of mistakes which cost us when in plenty of other games they've had solid performances.

LDG
03-01-2012, 05:33 PM
That's quite funny seeing as MS nicks all his material from you.

EDIT: @Cripps

Cripps_orig
03-01-2012, 05:35 PM
That's quite funny seeing as MS nicks all his material from you.

EDIT: @CrippsDoes he?

Never noticed tbh. He has shocking taste in films, music and his idea of quality players are more in the CK range world class than my own

LDG
03-01-2012, 05:36 PM
Does he?

Never noticed tbh. He has shocking taste in films, music and his idea of quality players are more in the CK range world class than my own

:faint:

Cripps_orig
03-01-2012, 05:37 PM
I haven't but if I did then I'd think it equally ridiculous as someone calling them inept for making a couple of mistakes which cost us when in plenty of other games they've had solid performances.Tbf inept was my word of the day yesterday. Not today so not used it. Today id say Ches's performance was alwful

LDG
03-01-2012, 05:38 PM
Tbf inept was my word of the day yesterday. Not today so not used it. Today id say Ches's performance was alwful

Charlie-esque spelling :sulk:

Olivier's xmas twist
03-01-2012, 06:14 PM

oiii

Master Splinter
03-01-2012, 06:45 PM
What the hell did I have to do with this conversation?

The whole of GW's Mental Week?

And on the subject of Koscielny and Szczesny, they have been two of our best performers this season. If you can't see that, then you either don't watch football or don't have the ability to take in and analyse performances on the pitch.

If I'm posting obviously over-the-top sentiments in regard to the team when they're doing well in the Mindless Optimism thread, that probably means I'm a fan and I'm enjoying the football and having a laugh while things are going well. It's a world away from certain individuals who say ridiculous things about players' form when it clearly has no relation to the reality of their performance. I think light-hearted praise of one's team is preferable to a walking, typing talkSPORT radio show.

21_GOONER_SALUTE
01-02-2012, 04:53 AM
AW will not buy (loans a maybe, signings for the always more important future a maybe).
Our points tally for the 2nd half of the season will be similar or slightly less than what we have now.
Thus we will only finish in the top 4 if someone collapses.

You can quote me if you want to at the end of the season.

Pretty much on the money at the moment..... talk about a whole new twist to the boring Arsenal tag :(

fakeyank
01-02-2012, 04:59 AM
http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/wenger-chamakh-will-be-back-this-week

No worries mate. Chakma is back end of this week! :bow:

Niall_Quinn
01-02-2012, 03:30 PM
4th is still possible but only because the chavs and pool are so shite. I expect both to string a run together at some stage though, so we need to do that too. Can't afford many more fuck-ups though. Three losses on the bounce, do that again and it will kill us off.

Olivier's xmas twist
01-02-2012, 10:10 PM
4th is still possible but only because the chavs and pool are so shite. I expect both to string a run together at some stage though, so we need to do that too. Can't afford many more fuck-ups though. Three losses on the bounce, do that again and it will kill us off.

:pal:

We deffo blown it now, we will loose another 3-5 games this season.

Coney
02-02-2012, 01:13 PM
Tbf inept was my word of the day yesterday. Not today so not used it. Today id say Ches's performance was alwful

Alwful the way Wummers are treated on here.

Coney
02-02-2012, 01:15 PM

Do that again and the board might speculate as to how much revenue we have lost from not being in the CL because they didn't spend a few million on a goalscorer.