PDA

View Full Version : FA Cup Memories - The Arsenal

LDG
05-01-2012, 11:34 AM
Bored.

So, with the 3rd round coming up, what are your favourite, or worst memories from the cup over the years?

I must say, for me, the most satisfying and worst were the two FA Cup Semi-Finals v Spurs. Adams :bow:

I really enjoyed the days out v Newcastle in the Final, and a special shout out to Andy Linnighan, who made probably the worst cup final (replay) in history, something I'll always remember.

But there have been loads of classic moments. Remebering Giggs clean through with an open goal, and putting it over the bar (just deserts for evily raping us a few years before), Edu with the freekick to win it for us.

What's yours?

GP
05-01-2012, 11:38 AM
I went to the 2003 final vs. Southampton, while it wasn't a classic, just being there was awesome. Pires :bow:

Love the FA cup.

Boss
05-01-2012, 11:44 AM
Parlour v Chelsea

Henry v Leeds

Arsenal 5-1 Portsmouth

Kano
05-01-2012, 11:45 AM
really indifferent to this comp nowadays, i've been conditioned by sky and the premier into demanding prem games every week. this weekend almost feels like an international break.

5th round game against utd in 1988 was a great game, we won 2-1 with mcclair missing a pen - and winterburn starting off the war between the clubs by lunging in on their striker.

93 final was fun to be at to claim our second cup.

any cup victory over spurs was always good too.

LDG
05-01-2012, 11:45 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toKReg2dgTw

Marc Overmars
05-01-2012, 11:49 AM
98 final vs Newcastle, to seal the double. Amazing, the old Wembley was very special. Went with my grandad and dad so it was a really nice experience.

Worst has to be the 99 semi defeat against United, great games but it was sickening to lose in that manner. The 01 final against Liverpool was horrible too, mainly because that was my birthday. <_<

Cripps_orig
05-01-2012, 11:57 AM
First match i ever saw on tv was the Fa Cup Final. Crystal Palace 3-3 Man Utd.

Wright :bow:

But this is Arsenal related. Earliest memory is playing Leeds i think 47 times in the 90/91 season.

Good - Cup Semi in 1993 and the final making history in the process, 98 final, 02 final "its only Ray Parlour" :haha:, 03 final beating Mancs enroute with Giggs becoming famous for that miss, 05 final where we saw the 4-5-1 for the first time under Wenger and we thoroughly deserved to win it.

Bad - Wrexham. Need i say more? Actually i was too young at the time to really let it get to me. Mid 90s were a bit of a shocker as well losing to pub teams such as Bolton and Millwall. 99 semi, 2 best teams in the land going at it in one of the greatest games i've ever seen. Had everything. Had we won that, we'd have won another double imo. 01 final dominating the match only for the ref and Owen to steal it from us. Semi v Chelsea a couple of season back with Wengers refusal to play a fully fit and in form Arshavin :doh:

Coney
05-01-2012, 12:43 PM
Good/bad was the Stoke semi in 1972 when Bob Wilson was injured and had to go off. In those days, you only had 1 sub and it was never a keeper, so John Radford went in goal and pulled off a brilliant save helping keep the score to 1-1. Raddy scored the winner in the replay.

Bad was in the final of the same year when Leeds beat us 1-0.

(Had to laugh the next year though - Leeds were in the 1973 final against Sunderland who were in Div 2. Something like a battle between Manu and Brighton would be the modern equivalent. Everyone hated Leeds except their own fans (just like manu) and the result was thought to be a forgone conclusion. It was 0-0 until the 70th minute when Sunderland scored. The last 20 minutes were among the most exciting football I have ever seen, the Sunderland keeper playing a blinder including a double save*, and the final sight after the whistle blew of Leeds captain and total cunt Bill Bremner kneeling on the Wembley pitch crying his eyes out was a wonderful memory I will never forget. (The equivalent nowadays would be to see Terry whining on the pitch if Chavs lost to Exeter - you would enjoy it so much it would hurt).

* This is the double save :bow:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZmFoo4payA

Niall_Quinn
05-01-2012, 12:57 PM
Alan Sunderland, 3rd goal vs Utd. Still remember Brady gliding through the middle and I thought, this is going to be a goal. Worst moment, Giggs. Our season went from potentially glorious to a bag of shit in that moment.

Dennis Bendtner
05-01-2012, 01:04 PM
Chelsea games have had some good times. Henry's pirouette goal. Reyes' double. Not so good - Cripps already mentioned it (also dropped Song and Nasri iirc, midfield was a clusterfuck). And it was on Setanta :rolleyes:.

Shaqiri Is Boss
05-01-2012, 01:11 PM
2001 final. :cloud9:

A match where the ref really was a Liverpool fan.

Japan Shaking All Over
05-01-2012, 01:12 PM
Shit NQ. . .talk about still my glory, same for me Alan Sunderland vs Utd but I was only 5 so cant remember if I saw it live or not. . .do remember the following year though. . .say no more

LDG
05-01-2012, 02:26 PM
2001 final. :cloud9:

A match where the ref really was a Liverpool fan.

Handball!! "no, that wasn't a hand ball"

Handball!!!!!!! "no, nor was that either"

PELANTY!!!!!!!!! "Nope. Having none of it"

Mind you. Henry missed a sitter too if I recall.

Niall_Quinn
05-01-2012, 02:35 PM
Handball!! "no, that wasn't a hand ball"

Handball!!!!!!! "no, nor was that either"

PELANTY!!!!!!!!! "Nope. Having none of it"

Mind you. Henry missed a sitter too if I recall.

Most blatant cheating by an official since Escape to Victory.

Master Splinter
05-01-2012, 06:47 PM
Ljunberg missed a few sitters too if I recall correctly against Liverpool.