Flavs
06-01-2012, 11:52 AM
:gp:

McNamara That Ghost...
06-01-2012, 12:00 PM
:bow:

Letters
06-01-2012, 12:12 PM
An 87 year old Henry > Arshavin + Chamakh. Depressing really.

Still, hopefully we'll see flashes of the old magic.

Marc Overmars
06-01-2012, 12:14 PM
He's bound to have one moment of brilliance at least.

I know he's not the same player that left, but I can't wait to see him pull on the red and white again.

LDG
06-01-2012, 12:16 PM
Not expecting miracles, but he'll still have something in the locker. Hopefully it's the winner v Spurs.

KSE Comedy Club
06-01-2012, 12:24 PM
I thought he had to be back before the spurs game?

LDG
06-01-2012, 12:25 PM
Really? Oh cock. That would have been perfect.

McNamara That Ghost...
06-01-2012, 12:29 PM
It's for two months. Fairly sure Donovan played for Everton in early March when he was over here (ah ok maybe not but he was there until very late in February 2010). Put it this way, he'll be available for the Spuds game.

Marc Overmars
06-01-2012, 12:31 PM
http://www.arsenal.com/assets/_files/images/dec_11/gun__1325282430_Henry_2_510.jpg

LDG
06-01-2012, 12:31 PM
Get in.

LDG
06-01-2012, 12:33 PM
Number 12?

Theo should have given 14 up for the master.

KESSLER
06-01-2012, 12:34 PM
Thierry :bow:

Flavs
06-01-2012, 12:35 PM
http://www.arsenal.com/assets/_files/images/dec_11/gun__1325282430_Henry_2_510.jpg

I would

Marc Overmars
06-01-2012, 12:38 PM
Thierry Henry has today rejoined Arsenal on a short-term loan deal.

After negotiations between Arsenal, Henry, the New York Red Bulls and Major League Soccer, the striker will team up with the Gunners on a temporary basis during a period of fixtures in January and February that will see Gervinho and Marouane Chamakh depart for Africa Cup of Nations duty.

Henry, who made 370 appearances for the Club and is the Gunners’ all-time leading goalscorer with 226 goals, has been maintaining his fitness at London Colney since November during the MLS off-season.

Speaking about the deal, Arsène Wenger, said: “I am very happy. It was my desire and Thierry’s desire. We will have Thierry for January and in February. Then he will go back to the United States. I am sure during these two months he will be a massive asset to the team in the dressing room and on the pitch. He can be relaxed, not under too much pressure and be a tremendous help to the team.”

Henry initially joined Arsenal from Juventus in August 1999. Arsène Wenger transformed Henry from a winger into one of the finest strikers in the world. He was an integral part of the 2003/04 ‘Invincibles’ who went a whole season unbeaten and during his eight years at the Club between 1999 and 2007 he won two Premier League Championships, two FA Cups, the Premier League ‘Golden Boot’ on four occasions and the PFA Player of the Year twice. Fittingly, on 7th May 2006, he scored the last ever goal at Highbury.

In June 2007 he transferred to Barcelona where he won further honours, including a League, Cup and Champions League treble in 2009. In 2010, he joined the New York Red Bulls and helped them to the Eastern Conference title in his first season, as well as the pre-season Emirates Cup in July this year at Emirates Stadium.

In 2008, Henry was voted as the greatest Arsenal player of all-time in an extensive Arsenal.com poll of tens of thousands of Gunners fans from all over the world. In recognition of his outstanding contribution, the Club marked its recent 125th anniversary by unveiling a bronze statue of the Frenchman at the south east corner of Emirates Stadium, depicting his famous celebration after scoring against Tottenham Hotspur at Highbury in November 2002.

Henry has enjoyed similar success at international level, having won the 1998 World Cup, Euro 2000 and 2003 FIFA Confederations Cup. In October 2007, he surpassed Michel Platini's record to become France’s all-time record goalscorer. Henry retired from international football after the 2010 World Cup.

After signing the loan deal, Henry said: "It is unreal to be honest. But when it comes to Arsenal my heart will always do the talking. Once I knew the plan behind it I was OK with it. I am not coming here to be a hero or prove anything. I am just coming here to help. People have to understand that. Marouane and Gervinho are going to the Africa Cup of Nations, so I was asked to fill in the gap. It is a loan deal and I’ll be on the bench most of the time. If I can make the bench that is! The Boss has a team here already who are doing something good. I am just going to be part of the squad.

Henry continued: "I want to send a message to the fans of New York Red Bulls as well. I always said I would not play in Europe again. But it is hard for me when it comes to Arsenal. I am not coming here for the whole season, I will be back and I want to win the MLS Cup with the Red Bulls. I hope it is win-win situation where I can help Arsenal and come back fit for the MLS season."

Thierry is scheduled to remain with Arsenal on loan throughout January and into February, when he will rejoin his New York Red Bulls team-mates in preparation for the new MLS season, which kicks off on March 10.

Thierry will be available for selection for the FA Cup Third Round match against Leeds United on Monday night.

Thierry will wear the No 12 shirt during his time back with the Club.

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/41432/henry-signs-short-term-deal-with-arsenal

McNamara That Ghost...
06-01-2012, 12:59 PM
How many goals do we think he will end up with? I think he'll end up on 233 goals for us, so seven from this spell.

Flavs
06-01-2012, 01:03 PM
How many goals do we think he will end up with? I think he'll end up on 233 goals for us, so seven from this spell.

More than Chamakh

McNamara That Ghost...
06-01-2012, 01:06 PM
More than Chamakh

Probably right. Although even Tim Howard has equalled Chakma's goal tally this season.

Japan Shaking All Over
06-01-2012, 01:19 PM
Said in an earlier tread 5 goals with at least one being of partucular importance to us (so no own goal winners for the oppo)

He is going to be raring to go!

GP
06-01-2012, 01:21 PM

Seven would be outstanding.

Letters
06-01-2012, 01:21 PM
Number 12?

Theo should have given 14 up for the master.

:gp: Theo's not fit to lace Henry's boots.

Ollie the Optimist
06-01-2012, 01:56 PM
The king

:bow:

bignev
06-01-2012, 02:05 PM
My thinking is we're creating a lot chances. We're just not taking them (RVP aside).

Even if Henry hasn't got his pace I reckon he can still finish. All he has to do is be in the box.

Should score plenty for us :pray:

Ollie the Optimist
06-01-2012, 02:06 PM
henry to come off the bench, score a last minute against the scum before leaving. perfect send off for the greatest scorer ever to play for us. never really got a send off last time, lets hope this is his one this time :pray:

Grebbo
06-01-2012, 02:12 PM
5th place is in the bag!

Flavs
06-01-2012, 02:14 PM
never really got a send off last time

And who's fault was that exactly?

Ollie the Optimist
06-01-2012, 02:20 PM
And who's fault was that exactly?

well no ones really, he got injured iirc, wasnt moaning about it, was just hoping that given this really will be his final time playing for us, he goes off after a win aganst the scum and gets the ovations from the crowd he deserves.

Boss
06-01-2012, 04:53 PM
Henry and VP up front... :cloud9:

Niall_Quinn
06-01-2012, 05:16 PM
Please let him play against Utd and flick the ball up and bury it in the back of the net, just so Fergie can say, "He'll never do that again!"

Niall_Quinn
06-01-2012, 05:19 PM
More than Chamakh

I'm going to end up with as many goals as Chamakh.

:bow: Me

Letters
06-01-2012, 05:32 PM
The atmosphere on Monday is going to be pretty good now.

:dance:

LDG
06-01-2012, 05:38 PM
The atmosphere on Monday is going to be pretty good now.:dance: I know! There might even be singing and stuff! Proper old school things fans used to do. Football rattles what!

Letters
06-01-2012, 05:39 PM
we only sing when we're signing :unsure:

LDG
06-01-2012, 05:45 PM
Just hope we're home and dry before he comes off the bench. "right thierry. No pressure. We're one nil down, and chamahk has spent all match fumbling around. You have two minutes to score. Just relax. You'll enjoy the whole experience. Listen to the fans. They're not expecting anything" *pats back* "on you go".

Niall_Quinn
06-01-2012, 05:45 PM
we only sing when we're signing :unsure:

That's why it's called the Library.

Niall_Quinn
06-01-2012, 05:46 PM
Just hope we're home and dry before he comes off the bench. "right thierry. No pressure. We're one nil down, and chamahk has spent all match fumbling around. You have two minutes to score. Just relax. You'll enjoy the whole experience. Listen to the fans. They're not expecting anything" *pats back* "on you go".

No one better at coning of the bench, tbf.

DOH! You changed it! Cheater.

LDG
06-01-2012, 05:47 PM
No one better at coning of the bench, tbf.

Coning?

LDG
06-01-2012, 05:48 PM
Stupid i-cone. Can't even roll a die on this fucker.

Niall_Quinn
06-01-2012, 05:55 PM
Coning?

:crying:

Coney
06-01-2012, 05:56 PM
Huh??? :unsure:

Niall_Quinn
06-01-2012, 05:58 PM
Huh??? :unsure:

MaxPeck :pal:

Doesn't even get the in-joke!

Ollie the Optimist
06-01-2012, 07:15 PM
i know he is past it now from what he used to be but will there be a physcological thing in some defenders minds. doing well at keeping clean sheet etc and then henry comes off the bench. wonder if his name will put some fear into people. cant really imagine any defenders panicking when the announcer says chamkah

Kaiser
06-01-2012, 07:20 PM
I guess the oppostion would be more bemused if "chamkah" was announced. And what happened to Chakma? Is he like Park now? Did he ever exist?

LDG
06-01-2012, 07:27 PM
Chamakh. Shit. Henry. Legend. He'll score one goal. But it'll bring more joy and happpieness to us lot than nasri, cesc, ade and all the overpaid, arrogant cocks that have mistoken arsenal as a leg up, ever will.

alexander
06-01-2012, 08:20 PM
I love it that he is back, even looking at the pictures on arsenal.com gives that happy feeling that we have just signed quality. Thing is, I want this feeling every summer, signing a proven, quality, big name, that lifts the fans, puts the fear of god in the opposition. The feeling I expect man city fans get.

GP
06-01-2012, 08:28 PM
I love it that he is back, even looking at the pictures on arsenal.com gives that happy feeling that we have just signed quality. Thing is, I want this feeling every summer, signing a proven, quality, big name, that lifts the fan, puts the fear of god in the opposition. The feeling I expect man city fans get.

Just without the scraped knuckles?

Master Splinter
06-01-2012, 09:19 PM
Leeds will win.

fakeyank
06-01-2012, 10:20 PM
I have wet a lot of different things since that picture of him came up on Arsenal.com :patrice:

Xhaka Can’t
06-01-2012, 10:22 PM
I have wet a lot of different things since that picture of him came up on Arsenal.com :patrice:

Everything except pussy.

Cripps_orig
06-01-2012, 10:23 PM
yay

Xhaka Can’t
06-01-2012, 10:24 PM
yay

Told ya FY.

Master Splinter
06-01-2012, 10:24 PM
:haha:

Coney
06-01-2012, 10:25 PM
:lol:

Cripps_orig
06-01-2012, 10:27 PM
Told ya FY.I dont get it.

Should i have read the thread first?

Coney
06-01-2012, 10:28 PM
I dont get it.

Should i have read the thread first?

Why break the habit of a lifetime?

PGFC
06-01-2012, 10:36 PM
Can't wait to see the petulant hands-on-hips head shaking done properly again :bow:

milla
06-01-2012, 10:41 PM
Can't wait to see the petulant hands-on-hips head shaking done properly again :bow:

Henry :bow:

fakeyank
06-01-2012, 11:34 PM
Told ya FY.

Asshole <_<

KSE Comedy Club
07-01-2012, 08:39 AM
Everything except pussy.

:haha: :haha:

Syn
08-01-2012, 03:25 PM
Not exactly breaking news but I haven't seen anyone comment on it:

Henry will be included in the CL squad to travel to Milan.

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/-henry-will-be-in-champions-league-squad-

He's probably still younger than most of their team.

McNamara That Ghost...
08-01-2012, 03:27 PM
There goes one of the three spaces which allows us to change the squad. Think it's an odd decision personally.

Coney
08-01-2012, 03:29 PM
Not exactly breaking news but I haven't seen anyone comment on it:

Henry will be included in the CL squad to travel to Milan.

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/-henry-will-be-in-champions-league-squad-

He's probably still younger than most of their team.

So he goes in goal if Manonne is injured???????? :unsure:

Yes, he will be [in the squad],” said the Frenchman. “I have given Vito Mannone out on loan to Hull and Thierry will take his place.

Syn
08-01-2012, 03:35 PM
I guess he's just a back-up for Van Persie. But I think it's quite odd too especially given the last time we played them at the San Siro, the key sub was bringing on Walcott to run into space. But we'll find out more about Henry's fitness when he plays against Leeds.

Can't wait now. :scarf:

Coney
08-01-2012, 03:38 PM
I guess he's just a back-up for Van Persie. But I think it's quite odd too especially given the last time we played them at the San Siro, the key sub was bringing on Walcott to run into space. But we'll find out more about Henry's fitness when he plays against Leeds.

Can't wait now. :scarf:

I think you answered your own question. ;)

Syn
08-01-2012, 03:39 PM

fair point.

Olivier's xmas twist
08-01-2012, 04:58 PM
I think you answered your own question. ;)

Edinburgh Gooner
08-01-2012, 05:18 PM
Just without the scraped knuckles?

I'm crying with laughter after reading that GP!!! You can always rely on GW for a cheer up.

hobson's choice
08-01-2012, 05:24 PM
Not a fan of this at all, deep down we all know how this is gonna end.

Cripps_orig
08-01-2012, 10:28 PM
So we're stuck with one less player in the squad for future games when Henry fucks off?

Wenger :doh:

Just fuck off

McNamara That Ghost...
08-01-2012, 10:32 PM
Maybe people were right when they said Henry is about the sum total of what we will do. Arse it.

Özim
08-01-2012, 11:15 PM
You can always count on Wenger to screw things up and disappoint people.

We won't be signing anyone of note, Henry will most likely be our only signing and he won't even be around till the end of the season, it's great to see Henry back but to have a player for just a short period is hardly building a team....something Wenger seems to have forgotten how to do, he seems to be better at dismantling a team these days.

Özim
08-01-2012, 11:15 PM

Just fuck off
Well said.

Cripps_orig
08-01-2012, 11:19 PM
You can always count on Wenger to screw things up and disappoint people.

We won't be signing anyone of note, Henry will most likely be our only signing and he won't even be around till the end of the season, it's great to see Henry back but to have a player for just a short period is hardly building a team....something Wenger seems to have forgotten how to do, he seems to be better at dismantling a team these days.Pretty much.

Henry was a great player for us. Its no mean feat being our 2nd best player ever but Wenger knows what hes doing with this signing, He may be a dumbass concerning matters on the pitch but he knows the fans are restless and he knows signing Henry even for only 2 months will make those gullible fans get back onside.

Thankfully i and it seems you, Zimm are made of sterner stuff

Marc Overmars
08-01-2012, 11:20 PM
We'll lose to Milan so it doesn't matter. :coffee:

Özim
08-01-2012, 11:22 PM
Pretty much.

Henry was a great player for us. Its no mean feat being our 2nd best player ever but Wenger knows what hes doing with this signing, He may be a dumbass concerning matters on the pitch but he knows the fans are restless and he knows signing Henry even for only 2 months will make those gullible fans get back onside.

Pretty much, he also knows he doesn't need to spend much on Henry which will make the profits look good come the summer meaning he'll get his customary pat on the back from his pals on the board.

Rors
08-01-2012, 11:24 PM
This is all very nice*, but just bloody sign Podolski will ya? I stand to win on what used to be called a 'sportsman's bet' when I reckoned you'd get him in the summer.

* he says knowing full well there is very chance Ol Tel will give us a good hiding in three weeks time...

Özim
08-01-2012, 11:25 PM
Even if we do, having a player around for such a short spell when 4th place is touch and go is hardly the cleverest thing to do. We should be signing players who can make a difference and will be around for a while, not quick fixes.

Still I guess is we don't get 4th he'll have plenty more excuses not to spend in the summer, as well as the waiting period, there being noone available, only wanting to sign super super players better than what we have and noone signing anyone that is.

Xhaka Can’t
08-01-2012, 11:28 PM
So we're stuck with one less player in the squad for future games when Henry fucks off?

Just fuck off

Take your own advice.

Cripps_orig
08-01-2012, 11:31 PM
Told you Zimm

Olivier's xmas twist
08-01-2012, 11:35 PM
Even if we do, having a player around for such a short spell when 4th place is touch and go is hardly the cleverest thing to do. We should be signing players who can make a difference and will be around for a while, not quick fixes.

Still I guess is we don't get 4th he'll have plenty more excuses not to spend in the summer, as well as the waiting period, there being noone available, only wanting to sign super super players better than what we have and noone signing anyone that is.

Not really even if we miss out on 4th it won't make a big diffrence to the future of the club as ivan as said as much. and who right now wants to move in jan anyway.

there is not many good players we could even sign right now.

Olivier's xmas twist
08-01-2012, 11:35 PM
Take your own advice.

GP
08-01-2012, 11:36 PM

Olivier's xmas twist
08-01-2012, 11:40 PM
Pretty much.

So who else in jan would we get quailty wise and don't say dumbass answers like Benzema or sillyness like that. who really wants to move in Jan. mostly dross anyway.

Özim
08-01-2012, 11:42 PM
Not really even if we miss out on 4th it won't make a big diffrence to the future of the club as ivan as said as much. and who right now wants to move in jan anyway.

there is not many good players we could even sign right now.
Just gives us an additional reason not to spend any money, also isn't this the same excuse we hear in the summer....there's noone available, there's a waiting period etc etc.

No end to this nonsense in sight, Wenger gave us false hope last year by saying he may consider his position at the end of the season, but then a few days later he said he had no plans to move on :yawn:

We're only heading one way these days it seems, down the table in a few years they'll be telling us the Europa league is a major trophy.

Cripps_orig
08-01-2012, 11:44 PM
So who else in jan would we get quailty wise and don't say dumbass answers like Benzema or sillyness like that. who really wants to move in Jan. mostly dross anyway.Why would i say Benzema? No chance of him leaving Real to come to us.

Özim
08-01-2012, 11:45 PM
Why would i say Benzema? No chance of him leaving Real to come to us.
Some people reckoned we were in for him in the summer and we could have got him, not a chance in hell then and not a chance in hell now either.

LDG
09-01-2012, 09:11 AM
New this morning is that if Henry does a job, we might be taking him on loan for the rest of the season.

I can't think of many quality stirkers that want to move on in this window, so I can see the logic behind it.

If we're gonna move for a player, I think it's more likely to be someone who can fill in at left back and also play on the wing. I'm wondering whether we're gonna try and offload Arshavin before that happens though.

Olivier's xmas twist
09-01-2012, 09:48 AM
83731]Just gives us an additional reason not to spend any money, also isn't this the same excuse we hear in the summer....there's noone available, there's a waiting period etc etc.[/B]No end to this nonsense in sight, Wenger gave us false hope last year by saying he may consider his position at the end of the season, but then a few days later he said he had no plans to move on :yawn:

We're only heading one way these days it seems, down the table in a few years they'll be telling us the Europa league is a major trophy.

1 it does not give any excuses or reasons, its common sense that not alot og world class players want to move in Jan every club knows that hence why it rarely happens. and all the top managers have said the same thing in jan they won't spend unless they find that player not just wenger.

2 how the hell did wenger give anyone false hope, if you were foolish to believe he'd go then more fool you. why would he go, gets paid loads the board love him and he is meeting their targets all that matters to them. Whether me or you like it is irrlevant. Wenger never ever came out and said he go it was paper talk, he never once from his mouth said he was going at all.

Why would i say Benzema? No chance of him leaving Real to come to us.

because you would even if its to wum. all i was saying was their is not a lot of quality who would move in this window.

McNamara That Ghost...
09-01-2012, 10:39 AM

Perhaps so but Henry won't even be involved for the second leg.

Flavs
09-01-2012, 10:41 AM
New this morning is that if Henry does a job, we might be taking him on loan for the rest of the season.

I can't think of many quality stirkers that want to move on in this window, so I can see the logic behind it.

If we're gonna move for a player, I think it's more likely to be someone who can fill in at left back and also play on the wing. I'm wondering whether we're gonna try and offload Arshavin before that happens though.

Other rumour is that he is being lined up for Pat Rice's job at the end of the season when he retires

GP
09-01-2012, 10:42 AM

With the Euro's in the summer, you won't see many players willing to move in January. That's just the way it is.

selassie
09-01-2012, 10:53 AM
I think Henry and perhaps a full back, there are rumours about Abidal circulating will be our only January signings.

I can't see us moving for anybody else, TBH I don't think the likes of Goetze or Podalski will be attainable, not at the moment and most certainly not in the summer/after the Euros when their stock will be sky high.

I think some of us have to accept that we don't and cannot attract highly rated sought after young talents or established players for a variety of reasons. As long as we finish in top 4 we will also be linked to some high profile-ish players but the reality is that the chances of us signing them are quite low. Let's face it, the only high profile-ish players we do sign are ones who we face no competition for their signature.

Olivier's xmas twist
09-01-2012, 11:05 AM
I think Henry and perhaps a full back, there are rumours about Abidal circulating will be our only January signings.

I can't see us moving for anybody else, TBH I don't think the likes of Goetze or Podalski will be attainable, not at the moment and most certainly not in the summer/after the Euros when their stock will be sky high.

I think some of us have to accept that we don't and cannot attract highly rated sought after young talents or established players for a variety of reasons. As long as we finish in top 4 we will also be linked to some high profile-ish players but the reality is that the chances of us signing them are quite low. Let's face it, the only high profile-ish players we do sign are ones who we face no competition for their signature.

TBF alot of highly rated players want big wages these days and our board/manager won't budge on that, unless we get a sugar daddy in, we will never match the likes of citeh/chavs, mancs just the way it is.

Signing players in jan will be dependant on what the board is happy to achieve. if they are happy to see us challenge for 4th but not to bothered if we miss out then not many signings will come, why waste money.

If they need 4th then signings will come, one thing for sure is by the end of the window we will see how ambitious we aere for this season.

Marc Overmars
09-01-2012, 11:20 AM
I can accept that we can't afford to do what Man City and other moneybag clubs do, what's unacceptable is doing the absolute bare minimum to get by.

LDG
09-01-2012, 11:22 AM
I can accept that we can't afford to do what Man City and other moneybag clubs do, what's unacceptable is doing the absolute bare minimum to get by.

I think Utd signing Scholes back til the end of the season says a lot tbh.

Niall_Quinn
09-01-2012, 11:33 AM
I think Utd signing Scholes back til the end of the season says a lot tbh.

Players (even shit one) are paid so much money these days it's not practical to sign a short term replacement. Plus they are all selfish cunts who moan when they aren't starting, so the cheap but decent squad player is hard to find. We're seeing more loans, the big transfers clustered around fewer clubs. This is the natural consequence of the unfathomable greed that has all but killed the game. I wouldn't mind but hardly any of these little shits are fit to lace the boots of the great players that went before them. Rooney, for example, one of the top players in the world apparently. I say he's mediocre on the scale of things. Cunt's on £150K per WEEK :sick: and also feels it's his place to tell the club who to buy. You don't get any of that shit with Scholes coming back. He won't be the player he was but he'll still be a great professional who will help rather than rape the club that gave him everything. Same with Henry,

Marc Overmars
09-01-2012, 11:34 AM
I guess so, clubs like City have certainly inflated the market to a ridiculous level. However us beating around the bush is nothing new.

Niall_Quinn
09-01-2012, 11:36 AM
I guess so, clubs like City have certainly inflated the market to a ridiculous level. However us beating around the bush is nothing new.

If we didn't beat around the bush nobody else would know who to sign.

Flavs
09-01-2012, 11:37 AM
Seems likely Kalou will come as well, can play either wing and upfront. Seems a very "Wengerish" player to me

LDG
09-01-2012, 11:47 AM
Seems likely Kalou will come as well, can play either wing and upfront. Seems a very "Wengerish" player to me

Where's that come from?

Niall_Quinn
09-01-2012, 11:51 AM
So we're moving from a youth policy to a clapped out old has-been experience policy.

Flavs
09-01-2012, 12:00 PM
Where's that come from?

Was all over sky and the papers yesterday, he is out of contract at the end of the season and we had "discussed" a £3mil bid for him now. He is surplus to requirements at Chelsea apparently

Olivier's xmas twist
09-01-2012, 12:13 PM
So we're moving from a youth policy to a clapped out old has-been experience policy.

Thing wenger got it wrong when he heards gooners wanted more exprience lol

@flavs Apprently PSG have interest in Kalou say Ssn

selassie
09-01-2012, 12:54 PM

For sure, that's my issue too, whilst I accept we can't compete with the moneybag clubs, we could and should be competing in the same market as Spurs & Liverpool and for whatever reason we aren't.

Kano
09-01-2012, 01:19 PM
For sure, that's my issue too, whilst I accept we can't compete with the moneybag clubs, we could and should be competing in the same market as Spurs & Liverpool and for whatever reason we aren't.

Brad Friedel (Aston Villa, free), Cristian Ceballos (Barcelona, free), Souleymane Coulibaly (Siena, undisclosed), Emmanuel Adebayor (Man City, loan), Yago Falque (Juventus, loan), Scott Parker (West Ham, £5m)

I think we are doing just that.

Coney
09-01-2012, 01:22 PM
Brad Friedel (Aston Villa, free), Cristian Ceballos (Barcelona, free), Souleymane Coulibaly (Siena, undisclosed), Emmanuel Adebayor (Man City, loan), Yago Falque (Juventus, loan), Scott Parker (West Ham, £5m)

I'd certainly have taken Brad Friedel as number 2 keeper behind Szczeny. :good:

GP
09-01-2012, 01:29 PM
I'd certainly have taken Brad Friedel as number 2 keeper behind Szczeny. :good:

Assuming he'd come here to sit on the bench.

Which he almost certainly wouldn't.

Coney
09-01-2012, 01:32 PM
Assuming he'd come here to sit on the bench.

Which he almost certainly wouldn't.

Perhaps. Personally I thought we should have bought him 3 years ago when we needed a decent keeper - he would have held things while Szczeny was prepared for the first team.

selassie
09-01-2012, 01:55 PM

Well they are some of Spuds signings. I've noticed you haven't included any of Liverpool's, any particular reason why? Not that I wanted us to sign Downing or Carroll or anyone like that.

The point I'm trying to make here is that I personally think we're far too passive and reactive in the market. Not ambitious enough for a club of our stature IMHO.

GP
09-01-2012, 01:59 PM
Well they are some of Spuds signings. I've noticed you haven't included any of Liverpool's, any particular reason why? Not that I wanted us to sign Downing or Carroll or anyone like that.

The point I'm trying to make here is that I personally think we're far too passive and reactive in the market. Not ambitious enough for a club of our stature IMHO.

I agree. For a long time I've wanted us to really make a high profile signing, a statement of intent.

The closest we've come in recent times is Arshavin.

Kano
09-01-2012, 02:00 PM

spurs are doing considerably better than liverpool is the reason why and it is based on spending in the same size basket as ours.

great, liverpool have splaffed their load on shite and were is it getting them right now? hardly shooting up the league, they are only consolidating.

selassie
09-01-2012, 02:06 PM
spurs are doing considerably better than liverpool is the reason why and it is based on spending in the same size basket as ours.

great, liverpool have splaffed their load on shite and were is it getting them right now? hardly shooting up the league, they are only consolidating.

Spurs are doing considerably better because they have built a decent squad, there players weren't all freebies and loans like you've selectively posted, nice try though.

I'm not asking for us to spend millions on average players, what Liverpool do in the market has got nothing to do with what we may or may not do had we spent more or shown more ambition in the market.

Besides, our current policy is hardly anything to shout about considering we've pretty much stood still for the past 5 seasons.

Syn
09-01-2012, 02:06 PM
I agree. For a long time I've wanted us to really make a high profile signing, a statement of intent.

The closest we've come in recent times is Arshavin.

I quite like reading GP's (serious) take on Arsenal. Although I can never tell if he's being sarcastic or not.

About signings - yeah, this Henry signing is, I'm sure, partly designed to sweep the January transfer inactivity under the rug. But it's worked - at least for me. I can't wait to see Henry play tonight. And you just wouldn't put it past the man to show he's still a very useful player. What will happen in 2 months time when he leaves? We'll worry about it then. Might as well enjoy watching another 2 months of Henry first.

Kano
09-01-2012, 02:09 PM
Spurs are doing considerably better because they have built a decent squad, there players weren't all freebies and loans like you've selectively posted, nice try though.

I'm not asking for us to spend millions on average players, what Liverpool do in the market has got nothing to do with what we may or may not do had we spent more or shown more ambition in the market.

Besides, our current policy is hardly anything to shout about considering we've pretty much stood still for the past 5 seasons.

that was their summer spend. check it out for yourself before you are too rash to condemn me. ah....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-1390662/Premier-League-transfers--2011-summer.html

modric cost what, 10? bale 5-10? parker and ade you can see above, van der vaart was about 8, lennon 1 mil? they've not spent much at the back either.

selassie
09-01-2012, 02:33 PM
that was their summer spend. check it out for yourself before you are too rash to condemn me. ah....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-1390662/Premier-League-transfers--2011-summer.html

modric cost what, 10? bale 5-10? parker and ade you can see above, van der vaart was about 8, lennon 1 mil? they've not spent much at the back either.

I wasn't condemning you, merely stating that using their business this summer as an example or justification that our transfer policy is fine isn't totally fair.

Aside from spending and the amounts, you have to take into consideration that they have managed to retain their best players, all the more baffling seeing as they couldn't even offer them CL football.

I wouldn't really be totally against our policy if we managed to retain our star players but we can't even do that anymore....though I suppose a lot of that is to do with lack of ambition.

GP
09-01-2012, 02:37 PM
I don't think we lack ambition, I just think there's a lot of misplaced faith.

Kano
09-01-2012, 02:37 PM
I wasn't condemning you, merely stating that using their business this summer as an example or justification that our transfer policy is fine isn't totally fair.

Aside from spending and the amounts, you have to take into consideration that they have managed to retain their best players, all the more baffling seeing as they couldn't even offer them CL football.

I wouldn't really be totally against our policy if we managed to retain our star players but we can't even do that anymore....though I suppose a lot of that is to do with lack of ambition.
i'm not just relying on the summer, i've given a break down of the cost of their star players, purchased over the past 2/3 years. no different to us.

apart from spending and amounts, then how can we talk about being in the same market as spurs, as you wanted to a few posts ago?

you honestly think bale, modric and vaart will be there in two years?

Marc Overmars
09-01-2012, 02:41 PM
I don't think we lack ambition, I just think there's a lot of misplaced faith.

We don't want to kill anyone by signing new players.

GP
09-01-2012, 02:43 PM
We don't want to kill anyone by signing new players.

I think everyone at the club, players, manager, board, want to win stuff, there's just too much faith in the current squad to deliver.

Marc Overmars
09-01-2012, 02:58 PM
Which is why I find it baffling that Wenger persists in this way, certain players let him down all the time, he never gets anything from them. Park is never involved, only Wenger knows why, and Chamakh is a striker who has scored twice in 14 months. Not to mention the hap-hazard form of Theo, Gervinho and Arshavin.

To any sane onlooker, we need to bolster the forward options.

Henry will probably be it for this month and then maybe we'll buy in the summer, as it can be difficult in Jan for obvious reasons, however it may be too late then, I just hope we still have CL football to offer up to any potential targets.

selassie
09-01-2012, 03:21 PM
i'm not just relying on the summer, i've given a break down of the cost of their star players, purchased over the past 2/3 years. no different to us.

apart from spending and amounts, then how can we talk about being in the same market as spurs, as you wanted to a few posts ago?

you honestly think bale, modric and vaart will be there in two years?

I probably didn't articulate what I meant regarding spending and amounts and retaining players. For a start they the Spuds don't sell 40million worth of talent every year.

Essentially what I was trying to say was even if we spend the same as them the fact that they manage to retain their star players whilst we don't makes the situation even more baffling/concerning.

If Spurs finish top 4, Bale, Modric and Van Der Vaart will no doubt stay there, they manage to retain them without even offering top 4 football, why would they not if they manage to finish top 4. Anyway I think they'll make serious moves in the market if they do finish top 4 which makes it all the more depressing.

Kano
09-01-2012, 03:24 PM
they sold two crown jewels in the past 5 years, carrick and berbatov - they sell when the price is right, like anyone else.

we manage to retain star players but not forever because we can't pay the wages to them all at the same time. so they get tempted and move on. the same with tottenham.

if spurs were retaining their main players for years and years, they wouldn't have been in the cl just the once.

Niall_Quinn
09-01-2012, 03:24 PM
I probably didn't articulate what I meant regarding spending and amounts and retaining players. For a start they the Spuds don't sell 40million worth of talent every year.

Essentially what I was trying to say was even if we spend the same as them the fact that they manage to retain their star players whilst we don't makes the situation even more baffling/concerning.

If Spurs finish top 4, Bale, Modric and Van Der Vaart will no doubt stay there, they manage to retain them without even offering top 4 football, why would they not if they manage to finish top 4. Anyway I think they'll make serious moves in the market if they do finish top 4 which makes it all the more depressing.

We're very similar to the spuds now, about at their level I'd say. This represents a massive drop for us, of course. I don't think the ambition should be limited to matching clubs we used to wipe our arse with. That's less than the bare minimum.

selassie
09-01-2012, 03:32 PM
they sold two crown jewels in the past 5 years, carrick and berbatov - they sell when the price is right, like anyone else.

we manage to retain star players but not forever because we can't pay the wages to them all at the same time . so they get tempted and move on. the same with tottenham.

if spurs were retaining their main players for years and years, they wouldn't have been in the cl just the once.

Yeah, they lost 2 stars in Carrick & Berbatov & I do agree to an extent about the price is right.

Well I personally believe we could and should do more to retain our star players given that we've been a regular top 4 club for a very long time. I don't think we can't pay our star players more, it's more a case of we won't.

I'm not even convinced we always sell for the right price, we practically gave Cesc away.

A lot of my gripes are to do with the minimal amount of effort we seem to put in to improve the playing squad. We have a "passive/laissez faire" attitude to squad building.

selassie
09-01-2012, 03:34 PM
We're very similar to the spuds now, about at their level I'd say. This represents a massive drop for us, of course. I don't think the ambition should be limited to matching clubs we used to wipe our arse with. That's less than the bare minimum.

Yup, this is what grates me, it's almost like we've given up.

Niall_Quinn
09-01-2012, 03:37 PM
We have a car boot sale approach to the transfer market. Every year we gather up all the free and cheap stuff we can find, we load it in a car boot. Other clubs come along and spot the good stuff and we charge them 50p, the crap stuff doesn't sell and we are stuck with it until somebody asks if they can borrow it. Occasionally we get an idiot buyer who pays way over the odds and that's our definition of success.

Kano
09-01-2012, 03:41 PM
Yeah, they lost 2 stars in Carrick & Berbatov & I do agree to an extent about the price is right.

Well I personally believe we could and should do more to retain our star players given that we've been a regular top 4 club for a very long time. I don't think we can't pay our star players more, it's more a case of we won't.

I'm not even convinced we always sell for the right price, we practically gave Cesc away.

A lot of my gripes are to do with the minimal amount of effort we seem to put in to improve the playing squad. We have a "passive/laissez faire" attitude to squad building.
let's talk about the players we wouldn't pay. nasri? well, we can see what paying him that amount is doing for his career now. ade? moving here, there and everywhere since he left and has hardly settled past 'first season' performances. have i missed anyone out? and cesc had nothing to do with wages.

selassie
09-01-2012, 03:49 PM
let's talk about the players we wouldn't pay. nasri? well, we can see what paying him that amount is doing for his career now. ade? moving here, there and everywhere since he left and has hardly settled past 'first season' performances. have i missed anyone out? and cesc had nothing to do with wages.

It doesn't matter if Nasri is stinking up Citeh, it's really doesn't benefit us if the money we recouped from him sits in the bank...or in our case we replace him with a player who may come good in 3 seasons time. I accept that the Nasri situation was maybe a little complexed in the sense that he was close to running down his contract. Ade was also very good for us, it's irrevelant what he's done since, at Arsenal he was a class act. Sad thing is we sell him to a rival who have now leapfrogged us and they then go and lend to a team who have now become a rival of ours.

Cesc had nothing to do with wages but the fee we got for him was pitiful.

In terms of missing players off the list, well whilst the likes of Clichy, Hleb, Kolo & Flamini aren't star players they were all part of the first team when we sold them.

Kano
09-01-2012, 03:59 PM
it does matter as you have to ask yourself, would it have been worth spending those wages on those players? both of these players were good for one season, maximum.

flamini and hleb fall into that exact same group.

the point you raised was that we lose big players because we don't pay their wages, i would suggest that we have lost nothing by letting these guys go.

where we have failed is to reinvest in the 'right' players, like tottenham have done so well in the past couple of years.

Power n Glory
09-01-2012, 04:29 PM
it does matter as you have to ask yourself, would it have been worth spending those wages on those players? both of these players were good for one season, maximum.

flamini and hleb fall into that exact same group.

the point you raised was that we lose big players because we don't pay their wages, i would suggest that we have lost nothing by letting these guys go.

where we have failed is to reinvest in the 'right' players, like tottenham have done so well in the past couple of years.

Selling those players had a ripple effect. It did damage to the morale of the squad and hasn't helped our rep.

Kano
09-01-2012, 04:34 PM
i don't disagree but this was a discussion about paying wages.

Power n Glory
09-01-2012, 04:38 PM
i don't disagree but this was a discussion about paying wages.

But it's not right to say we have lost nothing. Losing these players has done us damage.

Kano
09-01-2012, 04:48 PM
in terms of wages it hasn't, which was the point

Power n Glory
09-01-2012, 05:07 PM
in terms of wages it hasn't, which was the point

That doesn't make sense. This all relates to performance right? If your just taking wages then why was a mistake when we didn't re-invest?

Ollie the Optimist
09-01-2012, 11:40 PM
what a signing.

wenger :bow:

henry :bow:

arsenal :bow:

Olivier's xmas twist
10-01-2012, 12:09 AM
what a signing.

wenger :bow:

henry :bow:

arsenal :bow:

Ralpheroo72
10-01-2012, 12:38 AM
We have a car boot sale approach to the transfer market. Every year we gather up all the free and cheap stuff we can find, we load it in a car boot. Other clubs come along and spot the good stuff and we charge them 50p, the crap stuff doesn't sell and we are stuck with it until somebody asks if they can borrow it. Occasionally we get an idiot buyer who pays way over the odds and that's our definition of success.

Grebbo
10-01-2012, 02:06 AM
Awww Henry

:cloud9:

He probably won't score another goal for us but tonight (when he came on) was magical.

In what is a very depressing season, and with a very bleak future ahead for our club, Henry gave a rare piece of real enjoyment.

I just wish he was 10yrs younger.

GP
10-01-2012, 09:17 AM
Bleak?

LDG
10-01-2012, 09:23 AM
Bleak?

It was Bruce Rioch that signed Henry :sulk:

Coney
10-01-2012, 09:24 AM
It was Bruce Rioch that signed Henry :sulk:

I thought he signed Bergkamp and Wenger got Henry in. :unsure:

LDG
10-01-2012, 09:26 AM
FFS.

Coney
10-01-2012, 09:32 AM
In what is a very depressing season

Woah. If you said 'after a depressing start to the season..', I'll buy it. But we have shown massive improvement. Had the first few games gone as well as the rest of the season, we would be considered title challengers pretty much alongside Citeh on points.

We have screwed up a couple of matches (since the good run after a poor start) but the same can be said of chavs, manu and citeh.Since September, I'd say Ferguson has fucked up more than Wenger if you are looking at it that way.

Grebbo
10-01-2012, 10:31 AM
Bleak?

Very bleak!

We certainly won't be challenging for the league any time soon.

4th will be our be our best outcome for the foreseeable future.

Seeing Henry reminds me how great we once were.

Grebbo
10-01-2012, 10:33 AM
Woah. If you said 'after a depressing start to the season..', I'll buy it. But we have shown massive improvement. Had the first few games gone as well as the rest of the season, we would be considered title challengers pretty much alongside Citeh on points.

We have screwed up a couple of matches (since the good run after a poor start) but the same can be said of chavs, manu and citeh.Since September, I'd say Ferguson has fucked up more than Wenger if you are looking at it that way.

Maybe but it'll be a mega fight with Chelsea for 4th. I suppose given what happened in the summer the fact that we're still in the race for 4th is an achievement.

GP
10-01-2012, 10:35 AM
Very bleak!

Well, if that's your interpretation of bleak, then fair enough.

Niall_Quinn
10-01-2012, 11:05 AM
Maybe but it'll be a mega fight with Chelsea for 4th. I suppose given what happened in the summer the fact that we're still in the race for 4th is an achievement.

We'll be fighting with the vermin for 4th, the chavs will be 3rd. Same shit happens every year, one team rides high but drops off by the end, usually us tbf but this year it's the vermin.

Özim
10-01-2012, 11:24 AM
Very bleak!

Pretty much agree, watching Henry score yesterday also reminded me of what is what like to have class players instead of the dogshite we have today......Wenger's been trying to convince us that his team are world class and going to be something special for years...Henry yesterday convinced me that the class of player in the days we were successful and those we have now are world's apart.

LDG
10-01-2012, 11:36 AM
Pretty much agree, watching Henry score yesterday also reminded me of what is what like to have class players instead of the dogshite we have today......Wenger's been trying to convince us that his team are world class and going to be something special for years...Henry yesterday convinced me that the class of player in the days we were successful and those we have now are world's apart.

Henry is one of a kind, and they don't come along very often. The only players in the PL currently performing to that standard, I can think of that come close (and haven't yet proven it over a sustained period) are Augero and Silva.

That said, it shows how badly we need another finisher. We create more than enough chances, but don't put the ball in the back of the net enough. It's partly why I think Henry is a decent signing, because he'll find the space, and convert the chance.

We have no problem in getting into dangerous areas, we just haven't had anyone other than RVP who can consistently convert. If Arshavin could find some confidence, he'd be knocking a few in too....

Marc Overmars
10-01-2012, 11:46 AM
Speaking to some rival fans today at work and even they couldn't help but raise a smile.

Henry. :bow:

What a man.

Özim
10-01-2012, 11:56 AM
Henry is one of a kind, and they don't come along very often. The only players in the PL currently performing to that standard, I can think of that come close (and haven't yet proven it over a sustained period) are Augero and Silva.

That said, it shows how badly we need another finisher. We create more than enough chances, but don't put the ball in the back of the net enough. It's partly why I think Henry is a decent signing, because he'll find the space, and convert the chance.

We have no problem in getting into dangerous areas, we just haven't had anyone other than RVP who can consistently convert. If Arshavin could find some confidence, he'd be knocking a few in too....
It's not just Henry though, Pires, Overmars, Vieira, Ljungberg, Adams, Seaman, Cole, Lauren and the list goes on. We have so few class players days it's untrue and it shows, you can put it down to lack of composure etc etc but IMO it's just a lack of class and ability in a lot of cases.

We're never really challenging because we don't have the class of players.

Flavs
10-01-2012, 11:57 AM

Its not just the strikers either, the wingers and midfielders are pretty awful when they get a chance as well. We should be scoring far more goals than we do

Niall_Quinn
10-01-2012, 12:23 PM
It's not just Henry though, Pires, Overmars, Vieira, Ljungberg, Adams, Seaman, Cole, Lauren and the list goes on. We have so few class players days it's untrue and it shows, you can put it down to lack of composure etc etc but IMO it's just a lack of class and ability in a lot of cases.

We're never really challenging because we don't have the class of players.

Can you name any club in this country that has players like Henry, Bergkamp, Pires, etc, playing for them? Shrek? He's the biggest name right now, but he's nowhere and a nobody by comparison. Silva? Half a good season, we'll see what happens. The quality of the players and the game in general is so much lower. The last five or six games I have watched, ours included, reminded me of a Sunday league hackathon, kick and rush, give the ball away, charge around at 110mph. Plenty of energy, precious little skill. A very poor Utd won the title last year and it looks like the most average team ever to win it will be City this year. And they all get paid ten times more. Bit of a joke really.

Niall_Quinn
10-01-2012, 12:26 PM
Also, if Henry fails to make a further impact in his short return it won't be because he's older or has lost his pace or isn't as fit. It will because he doesn't have the quality around him. Players with brains as well as ability can always do well providing they have a supporting cast. Can't think of a striker playing today who would have tucked away that goal so effortlessly last night. That's pure class and we'll be able to utilise it and benefit if the other players raise their game. That goal alone was a message to our lads, pull your fucking fingers out, there's more to this game than contract negotiations.

LDG
10-01-2012, 12:28 PM
Can you name any club in this country that has players like Henry, Bergkamp, Pires, etc, playing for them? Shrek? He's the biggest name right now, but he's nowhere and a nobody by comparison. Silva? Half a good season, we'll see what happens. The quality of the players and the game in general is so much lower. The last five or six games I have watched, ours included, reminded me of a Sunday league hackathon, kick and rush, give the ball away, charge around at 110mph. Plenty of energy, precious little skill. A very poor Utd won the title last year and it looks like the most average team ever to win it will be City this year. And they all get paid ten times more. Bit of a joke really.

Completely agree.

I wish people would stop pining for a team which was possibly one of the greatest teams in the top flight in England. EVER.

The quality was of such a high standard, it's near on impossible to replicate it.

We should be adding a bit more quality, and Wenger should be more ruthless with the underperforming players, but it's easier said than done.

Nobody is saying that we haven't made mistakes, and by our own standards, we should be doing better than we have, but harking back to a one in a million team is just stupid.

Niall_Quinn
10-01-2012, 12:32 PM
Completely agree.

I wish people would stop pining for a team which was possibly one of the greatest teams in the top flight in England. EVER.

The quality was of such a high standard, it's near on impossible to replicate it.

We should be adding a bit more quality, and Wenger should be more ruthless with the underperforming players, but it's easier said than done.

Nobody is saying that we haven't made mistakes, and by our own standards, we should be doing better than we have, but harking back to a one in a million team is just stupid.

Agreed, and not just because you fell for that Onion video.

LDG
10-01-2012, 12:34 PM
Agreed, and not just because you fell for that Onion video.

You. Outside. I'm gonna give you a damn good coning.

Marc Overmars
10-01-2012, 12:42 PM
Pires is training with us. Sign him up tbh.

Get Freddie and Gilberto back while we're at it. :coffee:

Invincible reunion. :bow:

LDG
10-01-2012, 12:44 PM
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/video?video=channels/339821/1579135&cc=5739

:d :d :d

Flavs
10-01-2012, 12:46 PM
Pires is training with us. Sign him up tbh.

Get Freddie and Gilberto back while we're at it. :coffee:

Invincible reunion. :bow:

Should have never let Gilberto go in the first place tbh

dazthegooner
10-01-2012, 12:48 PM
Noticed that it was available in the ROI I'm sure they watched it over and over again :unsure:

dazthegooner
10-01-2012, 12:48 PM
Should have never let Gilberto go in the first place tbh

Ollie the Optimist
10-01-2012, 03:14 PM
Henry...chance....goal. that line just sums the man up. give him a chance and he will score. so glad we got him, it can only be good for the club

KSE Comedy Club
10-01-2012, 03:28 PM
What really made an impression was the passion he showed when he scored and at the end of the game.

Hopefully some of that will rub off on the other players, make them realise what it means to play for the arsenal.

McNamara That Ghost...
10-01-2012, 04:01 PM
Durham is going to lay in to us on TalkSport, probably. Just a heads up so people don't get frustrated if they are tuned in to it. :lol:

LDG
10-01-2012, 04:04 PM
Durham is going to lay in to us on TalkSport, probably. Just a heads up so people don't get frustrated if they are tuned in to it. :lol:

What possible ammo has he got?

McNamara That Ghost...
10-01-2012, 04:07 PM

He'll find something. Probably that it was against Leeds.

LDG
10-01-2012, 04:08 PM
We need Kano back.

RKane :bow:

Olivier's xmas twist
10-01-2012, 04:20 PM

No all players these days are worlds apart, it has nothing to do with the players we have, its a genral thing, there is not many world class players then their used to be.

no other team right now has those types of players not just ask so what you saying is rather silly and seems like another attempt to have a dig a wenger.

Olivier's xmas twist
10-01-2012, 04:21 PM

He's durhman, he don't need a reason.

LDG
10-01-2012, 04:33 PM
He's durhman, he don't need a reason.

Tbf, he doesn't have any ammo.

He's talking some sense though :shrug:

Basically saying what happened last night masks the problems we have.

That said, I don't think there are too many gooners who think Henry is the solution to our problems. It is just nice to have him back, and a great moment last night.

We all know we need to spend some dosh.

Olivier's xmas twist
10-01-2012, 04:36 PM
I hear what you saying, and sometimes he does talk sense, but he does not need a reason to tear into teams most times, he just does maybe for ratings lol.

like you say we know we need to spend the cash and i believe Wenger will i really do, even though people will say look at the last 6 years, but i thing we will do the best to get the players we need.

LDG
10-01-2012, 05:10 PM
http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/henry-returns

Özim
10-01-2012, 05:15 PM
Completely agree.

Thing is there's teams out there who play much better, imaginative football City and Spurs being two.....these days we're really nothing special, Henry just made me realise how ordinary we are we really don't have too many stand out players.

Wenger's eye for talent seems to have gone, I'd say when he first arrived he signed the right players and with the hunger to succeed and quality they did all of the rest for him, a bit like Henry the other night....he's a good manager for sure, but it's become very clear in the last 6 years he's not as good as many believed, he's got far too many flaws to be.

Just shows quality is worth paying a bit more for, buying these cheaper players generally doesn't work too well.

LDG
10-01-2012, 05:23 PM
Hmmm. Not going into a debate about Wenger, as none of us know the full story, I'm sure. There are certainly things he has gotten wrong, but he has also gotten things right over the last 6 years.

It's a different world mate. In so many ways to when Wenger arrived.

You say City, but I don't think they're that good. And the players that are top draw cost one hell of a lot of money. 250mil they've spent in two years....and nothing is assured at this point in the season. They're out of the CL and the FA Cup.....and i really don't see anything, anywhere near what we were in our prime. Hell, I'd back Utd to win it again on pure desire alone.

Like I said, there are things wrong, and Wenger is definitely to blame for some of them. But we can't look back and demand the same, because the landscape has changed dramatically. We should be making the best of what we do have, and hopefully we can (if the desire that Utd have is anything to go by, and the shit they have in their squad, we can surely do the same)....I won't hold my breath, because I think there are too many other forces at work both internally and externally....but I think you're looking for something which is unatainable in this day and age.

Olivier's xmas twist
10-01-2012, 05:29 PM
Thing is there's teams out there who play much better, imaginative football City and Spurs being two.....these days we're really nothing special, Henry just made me realise how ordinary we are we really don't have too many stand out players.

Wenger's eye for talent seems to have gone, I'd say when he first arrived he signed the right players and with the hunger to succeed and quality they did all of the rest for him, a bit like Henry the other night....he's a good manager for sure, but it's become very clear in the last 6 years he's not as good as many believed, he's got far too many flaws to be.

Just shows quality is worth paying a bit more for, buying these cheaper players generally doesn't work too well.

does not mean you should go too overboard though does it, if that was the case we'd have ended up with shite like cahill paying over the odds.

Coney
10-01-2012, 05:35 PM
Hmmm. Not going into a debate about Wenger, as none of us know the full story, I'm sure. There are certainly things he has gotten wrong, but he has also gotten things right over the last 6 years.

It's a different world mate. In so many ways to when Wenger arrived.

You say City, but I don't think they're that good. And the players that are top draw cost one hell of a lot of money. 250mil they've spent in two years....and nothing is assured at this point in the season. They're out of the CL and the FA Cup.....and i really don't see anything, anywhere near what we were in our prime. Hell, I'd back Utd to win it again on pure desire alone.

Like I said, there are things wrong, and Wenger is definitely to blame for some of them. But we can't look back and demand the same, because the landscape has changed dramatically. We should be making the best of what we do have, and hopefully we can (if the desire that Utd have is anything to go by, and the shit they have in their squad, we can surely do the same)....I won't hold my breath, because I think there are too many other forces at work both internally and externally....but I think you're looking for something which is unatainable in this day and age.

:gp: I'll buy that.

Olivier's xmas twist
10-01-2012, 05:46 PM
:gp: I'll buy that.
x2 nicely summed up by LDG case closed

Marc Overmars
10-01-2012, 06:50 PM
Tbf, he doesn't have any ammo.

He's talking some sense though :shrug:

Basically saying what happened last night masks the problems we have.

That said, I don't think there are too many gooners who think Henry is the solution to our problems. It is just nice to have him back, and a great moment last night.

We all know we need to spend some dosh.

This is the thing, heard so many cunts today attempt to WUM with stuff like "oh it was only Leeds", "papers over the cracks" etc.

Well, who the hell is saying otherwise? Doesn't matter who last night was against, Spurs, Leeds, who cares, it was about Henry and Henry only, nothing else.

Some people just need to have a day off.

Olivier's xmas twist
10-01-2012, 06:52 PM
This is the thing, heard so many cunts today attempt to WUM with stuff like "oh it was only Leeds", "papers over the cracks" etc.

Well, who the hell is saying otherwise? Doesn't matter who last night was against, Spurs, Leeds, who cares, it was about Henry and Henry only, nothing else.

Some people just need to have a day off.

Tell that to Joker

But on the real i can see where others are coming from, in away no one is talking about how dreadfull we were its like the lads were allowed to escape from it because of Henry.

Coney
10-01-2012, 07:50 PM
Some people just need to fuck off.

Tell that to Joker

Xhaka Can’t
10-01-2012, 10:03 PM
Are you on crack?

Cripps_orig
10-01-2012, 10:07 PM
Henry scored more goals then Carrol and torres in the league this year

Torres :pal:
Chavs :pal:

Pool :pal:

Caroll :pal:Wtf?

Henry hasnt scored in the league

Marc Overmars
10-01-2012, 10:34 PM
Charlie's Mental 2012. :bow:

No wonder he signed himself off work.

fakeyank
10-01-2012, 10:36 PM
Henry scored more goals then Carrol and torres in the league this year

Torres :pal:
Chavs :pal:

Pool :pal:

Caroll :pal:

:unsure:

Olivier's xmas twist
10-01-2012, 10:55 PM
Are you on crack?

No my little dick of a cousin was on my laptop and was messing about. Been leaving silly mesaages all over the place, the turd.

GP
10-01-2012, 10:56 PM
Ha

Niall_Quinn
10-01-2012, 10:57 PM
No my little dick of a cousin was on my laptop and was messing about. Been leaving silly mesaages all over the place, the turd.

If I give you a Charlie doll then you could tell us what the doll's problems are.

Olivier's xmas twist
10-01-2012, 11:03 PM
If I give you a Charlie doll then you could tell us what the doll's problems are.

No

Marc Overmars
10-01-2012, 11:07 PM

Liar.

First step on the road to recovery is to admit you've got a problem. Go on, the road to salvation awaits.

GP
10-01-2012, 11:20 PM
No

http://pictures.funnyforum.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/its-time-to-stop-posting.jpg

Cripps_orig
10-01-2012, 11:24 PM
I believe Charlie tbh

Spelling was far too good for it to be Charlie.

Niall_Quinn
11-01-2012, 12:59 AM
I believe Charlie tbh

Spelling was far too good for it to be Charlie.

Sticking up for your cousin, no harm in that.

Master Splinter
11-01-2012, 06:13 AM
Sticking up for your cousin, no harm in that.

This thread :haha:.

LDG
11-01-2012, 09:18 AM

Oh dear.

Flavs
11-01-2012, 10:35 AM

Fucking :haha:

Post of the year, i am nearly crying at work

LDG
11-01-2012, 11:24 AM
Where did your post go Charlie? Don't quit the site because of peer pressure. You're well liked on here :d

Xhaka Can’t
11-01-2012, 11:33 AM
Being MO's manager is clearly taking it's toll on one of GW's most liked posters.

Syn
11-01-2012, 12:44 PM
This was always going to end in tears.

Mostly mine.

LDG
11-01-2012, 12:48 PM
This was always going to end in tears.

Mostly mine.

It was good while it lasted though.

Marc Overmars
11-01-2012, 12:54 PM
I feel responsible for his demise. :rose:

LDG
11-01-2012, 01:08 PM
It's his Birthday today as well.

Not that I want to make you feel any worse.

Flavs
11-01-2012, 02:43 PM
Where did your post go Charlie? Don't quit the site because of peer pressure. You're well liked on here :d

Yep every village needs it's idiot

LDG
11-01-2012, 02:46 PM
Yep every village needs it's idiot

Even the village of Yorkshire :good:

Japan Shaking All Over
11-01-2012, 03:30 PM
Had to read a few pages back to get the gist. . . .Charlie :rose: hope not, makes my optimism look like a dark day in Blackpool

Master Splinter
11-01-2012, 05:51 PM
If Charlie leaves, MO should do the right thing and sort out his face fuck off.

Charlie :bow:.

Mentalness :bow:.

Olivier's xmas twist
11-01-2012, 06:14 PM

how can i leave GW with posters such as ACH on here.

Olivier's xmas twist
11-01-2012, 06:15 PM
Liar.

First step on the road to recovery is to admit you've got a problem. Go on, the road to salvation awaits.

1st new i had a problem when i thought ACH and Zimm were the best posters on here(true stuff) after that, well you know the rest.

Marc Overmars
11-01-2012, 06:18 PM
He's back. My conscious is clear. :bow:

hymppi
11-01-2012, 06:20 PM
this has been funny to read. well done, chaps.

Master Splinter
11-01-2012, 06:59 PM
My conscious is clear.

Unlike your face.

Coney
11-01-2012, 08:03 PM
He's back. My conscious is clear. :bow:

And how about your unconcious?

Özim
11-01-2012, 08:23 PM
Wenger made a big mistake selling Henry so cheap a few years back, some people were saying he was past it then...which was of course total nonsense.

Maybe we should have signed him back from Barca, obviously his age is an issue but we're not going to spend money on a young quality striker so he wouldn't have been a bad option., the talent is still and he can still finish so he's way better than anyone else we have (other than RVP of course).

It wouldn't be too hard to make us a decent team again, for some reason Wenger doesn't seem to be able to see what's missing in the team....we've needed a goalscorer for years (RVP isn't enough) and have had too many players with no end product, a pattern which repeats itself over and over again in our signings.

Could use a playmaker as well.

Coney
11-01-2012, 08:29 PM
Yes - someone (other than RvP) who can finish would make a world of difference.

Ollie the Optimist
11-01-2012, 10:20 PM
Wenger made a big mistake selling Henry so cheap a few years back, some people were saying he was past it then...which was of course total nonsense.

Maybe we should have signed him back from Barca, obviously his age is an issue but we're not going to spend money on a young quality striker so he wouldn't have been a bad option., the talent is still and he can still finish so he's way better than anyone else we have (other than RVP of course).

It wouldn't be too hard to make us a decent team again, for some reason Wenger doesn't seem to be able to see what's missing in the team....we've needed a goalscorer for years (RVP isn't enough) and have had too many players with no end product, a pattern which repeats itself over and over again in our signings.

the fact henry became detremental to the team with his ego and always demanding the ball etc meant it was right to sell him. he is back now, loved by all and playing as a fan for the club he loves. wenger in your eyes doesnt always do good but letting henry go was the right thing to do at the time.

Letters
11-01-2012, 10:28 PM
We were actually a lot better the season after he left.
At the time it was the right thing, especially as he wanted to go at the time.
We desperately need some quality right now and Henry isn't the answer but Monday night was nice and has created a bit of much needed feelgood factor.

LDG
11-01-2012, 10:29 PM
the fact henry became detremental to the team with his ego and always demanding the ball etc meant it was right to sell him. he is back now, loved by all and playing as a fan for the club he loves. wenger in your eyes doesnt always do good but letting henry go was the right thing to do at the time.

I agree with that.

Ade did a pretty good job of replacing him, until he turned into a money-grabbing cunt.

LDG
11-01-2012, 10:30 PM
We were actually a lot better the season after he left.
At the time it was the right thing, especially as he wanted to go at the time.
We desperately need some quality right now and Henry isn't the answer but Monday night was nice and has created a bit of much needed feelgood factor.

It was very "vibrant" I would say.

:run:

Olivier's xmas twist
12-01-2012, 08:22 PM

:gp: no point keeping someone who did not want to be there no more is there. TBH Henry would have been a shell of himself had he stayed. AW was right to get rid when he did.

Olivier's xmas twist
12-01-2012, 08:24 PM
Wenger made a big mistake selling Henry so cheap a few years back, some people were saying he was past it then...which was of course total nonsense.Maybe we should have signed him back from Barca, obviously his age is an issue but we're not going to spend money on a young quality striker so he wouldn't have been a bad option., the talent is still and he can still finish so he's way better than anyone else we have (other than RVP of course).

Henry was done when we sold him and wanted to go, his pace was dropping off and others had to be given a chance. He was sold at the right time just never replaced.

Power n Glory
12-01-2012, 08:49 PM
Henry wasn't done and the fact that we've brought him back on loan proves that point. Henry's departure was a result of frustration at our lack of 'sporting ambition'. We've seen simular scenarios with other players and we may see it again with RVP. After Henry signed that contract, if we'd have signed a couple of quality players it may have changed the mood around the squad. We've already seen how this summer has completely turned our season around and that's the sort of ambition a lot of our players have been calling for.

Olivier's xmas twist
12-01-2012, 09:01 PM
Every player has his day and Henry had his, like Ollie said "henry became detremental to the team with his ego " Showed he was on the way out. is their a point keeping someone who is not happy. and him comng back now really proves nothing as he won't really play much.

However i agree if we spent more he may have been more happier and felt he was doing it all himself can argue with that. i do think he went at the right time for him though.

Syn
12-01-2012, 09:11 PM
Personally, I think the idea that players actually base their decision on whether to stay or leave depending on how much 'ambition' the club shows in the transfer market is exaggerated a lot. I think if top players (especially foreign) win a major trophy with a club like us (league, CL) they become more likely to leave because they feel they have less to owe the club and fans won't be angered by their decision.

Power n Glory
12-01-2012, 09:25 PM
Personally, I think the idea that players actually base their decision on whether to stay or leave depending on how much 'ambition' the club shows in the transfer market is exaggerated a lot. I think if top players (especially foreign) win a major trophy with a club like us (league, CL) they become more likely to leave because they feel they have less to owe the club and fans won't be angered by their decision.

That is in fact a very good point. But Henry wasn't just one of those guys. Some players are just here to put them selves in the shop window and always looking for the next opportunity. But Henry's performance in his last season, the pressure he put on the team and the mood around the camp...that came from frustration. He wasn't enjoying football here and I think that came from the pressure heaped on his shoulders week in week out. It became a burden. Same happend with Cesc and it could happen with RVP.

It's not just the transfer window, it's about being a part of team that are going somewhere and there is a least a hope of winning something. Each year we'd keep repeating the same mistakes and finally the players snap and come to realise that things won't change. It's not the same for all players but I'd say our lack of ambition has really hurt us.

Syn
12-01-2012, 09:36 PM
That is in fact a very good point. But Henry wasn't just one of those guys. Some players are just here to put them selves in the shop window and always looking for the next opportunity. But Henry's performance in his last season, the pressure he put on the team and the mood around the camp...that came from frustration. He wasn't enjoying football here and I think that came from the pressure heaped on his shoulders week in week out. It became a burden. Same happend with Cesc and it could happen with RVP.

It's not just the transfer window, it's about being a part of team that are going somewhere and there is a least a hope of winning something. Each year we'd keep repeating the same mistakes and finally the players snap and come to realise that things won't change. It's not the same for all players but I'd say our lack of ambition has really hurt us.

I buy that for Henry. Although maybe his marriage breaking down and all that personal shit was the major factor. I think the lack of ambition or, as I like to call it, 'playing it safe' has really hurt is in summer 2008. We had a team that was very close to winning the title and was playing the best football in the country. But that summer instead of strengthening and taking that extra step we faltered. The previous 2 seasons around 05-07 I think we were getting progressively worse as players like Pires, Ljungberg, Henry were either leaving or playing worse. Didn't help that we didn't have a good defence and Sol went mental. But just when things were starting to pick up after a decent season, Flamini, Hleb left and Adebayor turned into a prick. Whatchagonna do tbf.

Power n Glory
12-01-2012, 09:58 PM
I think the marriage break up was a factor but if he was enjoying his football and we on a roll again I doubt he'd leave. Would have probably just got his head down and focus on football. But he wasn't past it. Not to the point where he was no good to us. Our shitty defence kept leaking goals and he was building on a good relationship with Ade. Henry may have been able to keep the guy humble.

That defence has been a thorn in our side for years and Wenger's tactical philosophy on defending hasn't help either. He used to play a 5 man midfield with Diaby and Eboue on the wing for pete's sake. It has taken him too long to figure out certain things about our formation and playing certain players in the right position. It's been a huge waste of time. We didn't need to lose Henry to come to such conclusions. Our defence has been a shambles for a long time, we haven't had fast wingers for a long time and we need strong and mobile box to box type players in the midfield. We've known this for ages but it has taken him ages to fix the problems. Now that the defence looks sorted, we've lost our best attackers. :lol:

Olivier's xmas twist
12-01-2012, 10:39 PM
I think the marriage break up was a factor but if he was enjoying his football and we on a roll again I doubt he'd leave. Would have probably just got his head down and focus on football. But he wasn't past it. Not to the point where he was no good to us. Our shitty defence kept leaking goals and he was building on a good relationship with Ade. Henry may have been able to keep the guy humble.

That defence has been a thorn in our side for years and Wenger's tactical philosophy on defending hasn't help either. He used to play a 5 man midfield with Diaby and Eboue on the wing for pete's sake. It has taken him too long to figure out certain things about our formation and playing certain players in the right position. It's been a huge waste of time. We didn't need to lose Henry to come to such conclusions. Our defence has been a shambles for a long time, we haven't had fast wingers for a long time and we need strong and mobile box to box type players in the midfield. We've known this for ages but it has taken him ages to fix the problems. Now that the defence looks sorted, we've lost our best attackers. :lol:The

Wenger has never been and never will be a defensive man he has always been attacking. and we never had a 5 man midfield we always plaed a 442 till we decided a 433 would suit fabregas. What you have to remember is when Henry left a new philosphy was started (project youth) partly because we had to pay off the stadium and because Wenger and the board were happy with 4th in all honestly.

Power n Glory
12-01-2012, 11:00 PM
No, we played 4-5-1 for a long time and it started with the Champs league run. Our wide players used to play a lot deeper and wouldn't create much. When you play guys like Eboue and Diaby on the field and one natural striker, it's a 4-5-1.

Cripps_orig
12-01-2012, 11:02 PM
Played it first in the 05 Cup final tbh

Özim
13-01-2012, 09:13 PM
4-5-1 what a horrible formation, wish I could erase it from my memory.....this tactic of only playing one striker isn't a good one, at the end of the day strikers are there to score the goals.....if you only have one you maker it hard for yourself because midfielders are rarely as good in front of goal.

Olivier's xmas twist
13-01-2012, 10:49 PM
no point playing a 442 when you have 1 decent stiker as you say Ade was pants when he was with us.

Power n Glory
14-01-2012, 01:00 AM
4-5-1 what a horrible formation, wish I could erase it from my memory.....this tactic of only playing one striker isn't a good one, at the end of the day strikers are there to score the goals.....if you only have one you maker it hard for yourself because midfielders are rarely as good in front of goal.

nor point playing a 442 when you have 1 decent stiker as you say Ade was pants when he was with us.

I thought u said we only ever played a 4-4-2?

Xhaka Can’t
14-01-2012, 09:48 AM
nor point playing a 442 when you have 1 decent stiker as you say Ade was pants when he was with us.

Have you been spending time in Newcastle?

Olivier's xmas twist
14-01-2012, 10:01 AM
Have you been spending time in Newcastle?

watching too much geordie shore tbh.

Olivier's xmas twist
14-01-2012, 10:02 AM
I thought u said we only ever played a 4-4-2?

I was wrong. Thouhgt we did then i remembered RVP being out all the time.

Ralpheroo72
15-01-2012, 09:48 PM
Henry must be gutted he cut short his holiday. Instead he is playing for this fucking pub team called Arsenal. A big step down from the New York Red Bulls.

Xhaka Can’t
15-01-2012, 09:51 PM
Henry must be gutted he cut short his holiday. Instead he is playing for this fucking pub team called Arsenal. A big step down from the New York Red Bulls.

I understand you're upset, but come on.

GP
15-01-2012, 10:07 PM

fuck a doodle doo :doh:

Xhaka Can’t
15-01-2012, 10:12 PM
people are wound up by what is going on.

Ralpheroo72
15-01-2012, 10:13 PM
I understand you're upset, but come on.

I havent felt this good since Archie Gemmill scored against Holland in 1978

Ralpheroo72
15-01-2012, 10:14 PM
fuck a doodle doo :doh:

Same to you champ!

Xhaka Can’t
15-01-2012, 10:22 PM
Guys! Guys!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrbKn5boVPA

Flavs
17-01-2012, 12:22 PM
http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11670/7438130/Henry-apologises-to-fan

Terry Henry apologises for calling a fan a cunt when he was acting like a cunt

Marc Overmars
17-01-2012, 12:28 PM
He's realising it's not the same Arsenal he left behind, we were more forgiving of the team he played in.

Fats
17-01-2012, 12:35 PM
Who is going to apologize for letting the team become so poor?

The board, Arsene???

Regardless of where your "support" is, something is wrong with a team that is clearly in decline.

Someone is to blame, and its not supporters.

Injury Time
17-01-2012, 12:42 PM
Yeah it's the fans fault the team is shit, it's the fans fault for travelling all the way to wales & being shit, it's the fans fault the only "signing" is someone who needs to keep fit for a couple months, it's the fans fault for not going to a sports psychologist to rectify their shit mentality, it's the fans fault for not attending the anger managment courses the club provides for those that express any negativety, oh do fuck off.

Olivier's xmas twist
17-01-2012, 12:48 PM
He's realising it's not the same Arsenal he left behind, we were more forgiving of the team he played in.

Think he knew that before this game

Flavs
17-01-2012, 02:31 PM
Yeah it's the fans fault the team is shit, it's the fans fault for travelling all the way to wales & being shit, it's the fans fault the only "signing" is someone who needs to keep fit for a couple months, it's the fans fault for not going to a sports psychologist to rectify their shit mentality, it's the fans fault for not attending the anger managment courses the club provides for those that express any negativety, oh do fuck off.

yeah motherfucker you tell them bitches

:angry:

Injury Time
17-01-2012, 05:14 PM
No doubt itll be me getting the apology after the manc match😜

Injury Time
17-01-2012, 05:18 PM
Then getting arrested for having a dump on his statue😳

....after the queue of spuds have finished with it first obviously🚶💨😝