PDA

View Full Version : Arshavin

LDG
24-01-2012, 12:00 PM
Just been watching some clips for a couple of years back.

The guys seems fatter there than now. But his movement of the ball before striking it is so much quicker.

They're all snap shots. All switching the ball quickly and getting the shot away powerfully and early before the keeper or defender can position themselves.

What a waste of talent.

Look, I know the guy is lazy, and admits so himself. But he's not a defender, he's one of those infuriating players that strolls around, but wins you games.

What has happened? I don't think it's fitness...as he looks trim to me, and he's still got pace.

To me it's confidence. In everything he does.

I wish we could get him back to his best. We need him.

Letters
24-01-2012, 12:03 PM
Yep, mostly confidence IMO.

Probably best if we boo the shit of him when he comes on as a sub, that will help.

:doh:

Boss
24-01-2012, 12:14 PM
Doesn't have the desire to reach his best level for us as he's a lazy fuck with no ambition.

Sell him asap.

LDG
24-01-2012, 12:14 PM
Yep, mostly confidence IMO.

Probably best if we boo the shit of him when he comes on as a sub, that will help.

:doh:

Nobody was booing him. It was all aimed at Wenger.

True that Arsenal fans are frustrated at AA not performing, but I don't think anybody in the crowd holds any ill will towards him. He's still well liked. He was just unlucky that a stupid decision by Wenger caused that reaction.

Blame the manager, not the fans....

Kano
24-01-2012, 12:20 PM
we need him out of the club right now. he sets a dangerous prescendent for younger players, who will look at this multi-capped national team captain sitting around not caring what happens and think this is what you can get away with once you've 'made it'.

Letters
24-01-2012, 12:22 PM
Nobody was booing him. It was all aimed at Wenger.

The booing that followed his name being called out was aimed at Arshavin.
Or even if it was aimed at Wenger's decision to put Arshavin on, it was still an idiotic and unhelpful reaction and you could see Arshavin's reaction to it. It destroyed any chance of a decent performance from him. Recently I think Arshavin's been working a lot harder. He's desperately lacking confidence but his workrate has been pretty decent. Booing when his name is called out isn't going to help.

Niall_Quinn
24-01-2012, 12:26 PM
Just been watching some clips for a couple of years back.

The guys seems fatter there than now. But his movement of the ball before striking it is so much quicker.

They're all snap shots. All switching the ball quickly and getting the shot away powerfully and early before the keeper or defender can position themselves.

What a waste of talent.

Look, I know the guy is lazy, and admits so himself. But he's not a defender, he's one of those infuriating players that strolls around, but wins you games.

What has happened? I don't think it's fitness...as he looks trim to me, and he's still got pace.

To me it's confidence. In everything he does.

I wish we could get him back to his best. We need him.

He's lost a lot of pace, or else everyone else in the Russian leagues are slow. He was a hell of a player in that league and even looked like he was picking up where he left off when he first joined us. Was it against Portsmouth where he rifled that goal from his once typical impossible angle? Right into the roof of the net. The calm finishing. The mazy dribbles at intense speed. All gone. I did notice at Zenit they had this weird way of playing where when they had the ball the forwards would head towards the box at pace and give him options, or at least drag markers away from him. We've moved away from that old fashioned type of play. Now when we get the ball in dangerous areas we slow it down and pass backwards. We've become more adept at this since he joined so maybe he's just become incompatible with our sophisticated style of play. Same with Ox, the poor kid just charges towards goal, beating his men and trying to score or set people up. Naive.

LDG
24-01-2012, 12:28 PM
Or even if it was aimed at Wenger's decision to put Arshavin on, it was still an idiotic and unhelpful reaction and you could see Arshavin's reaction to it. It destroyed any chance of a decent performance from him. Recently I think Arshavin's been working a lot harder. He's desperately lacking confidence but his workrate has been pretty decent. Booing when his name is called out isn't going to help.

Nah, the boos were a carry on of the initial "booing", which was broken by a brief cheer for AOC. It just co-insided with his name being called out. It was followed by the fans singing "We Love You Arsenal" and the a section singing "You don't know what you're doing".

None of it was aimed at Arshavin, and the reaction would have been completely different if it had been Walcott coming off.

The fans could see that bringing AOC off was the wrong move. As he was having an impact. It was out of disbelief at a mad decision to bring off our most effective player.

NOTHING to do with Arshavin. Because if he had been bought on in place of Walcott, or Ramsey or Rosicky...not much would have been said. Normal sub, normal polite applause.

AND it wasn't an idiotic reaction. The UNHELPFUL decision was made by the manager, not the fans. EVERYONE knew it was coming, and is perhaps why the derision was so intense.

Niall_Quinn
24-01-2012, 12:29 PM

He looked pretty forlorn, whether the booing was aimed at him or not it does seem from the footage he was affected by it. Not that this gives him any excuses for yet another lazy performance. He's supposed to be a professional and he gets paid a shit load of money.

Niall_Quinn
24-01-2012, 12:30 PM
the reaction would have been completely different if it had been Walcott coming off

Mexican waves, Sambas, party poppers, balloons.

Olivier's xmas twist
24-01-2012, 12:31 PM
Nah, the boos were a carry on of the initial "booing", which was broken by a brief cheer for AOC. It just co-insided with his name being called out. It was followed by the fans singing "We Love You Arsenal" and the a section singing "You don't know what you're doing".

None of it was aimed at Arshavin, and the reaction would have been completely different if it had been Walcott coming off.

The fans could see that bringing AOC off was the wrong move. As he was having an impact. It was out of disbelief at a mad decision to bring off our most effective player.

NOTHING to do with Arshavin. Because if he had been bought on in place of Walcott, or Ramsey or Rosicky...not much would have been said. Normal sub, normal polite applause.

I agree with that, however if it was henry that came on for AOC would there have been boos?

Niall_Quinn
24-01-2012, 12:33 PM
I agree with that, however if it was henry that came on for AOC would there have been boos?

I think yes, because it was Ox coming off that was being booed. There might have been some applause for Henry too, but what are the fans going to make the effort for Arshavin when he gives nothing back in return?

LDG
24-01-2012, 12:34 PM
He's lost a lot of pace, or else everyone else in the Russian leagues are slow. He was a hell of a player in that league and even looked like he was picking up where he left off when he first joined us. Was it against Portsmouth where he rifled that goal from his once typical impossible angle? Right into the roof of the net. The calm finishing. The mazy dribbles at intense speed. All gone. I did notice at Zenit they had this weird way of playing where when they had the ball the forwards would head towards the box at pace and give him options, or at least drag markers away from him. We've moved away from that old fashioned type of play. Now when we get the ball in dangerous areas we slow it down and pass backwards. We've become more adept at this since he joined so maybe he's just become incompatible with our sophisticated style of play. Same with Ox, the poor kid just charges towards goal, beating his men and trying to score or set people up. Naive.

Wish we had the freedom to give him the freedom to roam. Think we'd see something different.

You're right though. He's now conditioned to slowing the ball down and playing it backwards and sideways. And if he does do something a bit different, there's nobody on his wavelength.

That said, he can't even pass at the moment, such is his confidence.

LDG
24-01-2012, 12:35 PM

Good point actually.

Annoyingly so.

Olivier's xmas twist
24-01-2012, 12:38 PM
I think yes, because it was Ox coming off that was being booed. There might have been some applause for Henry too, but what are the fans going to make the effort for Arshavin when he gives nothing back in return?

True, i know if theo came off there would have been no boo's and i know they were not booing the fat russian, just hope he did and his confidence is not dented tbh.

Fist of Lehmann
24-01-2012, 12:41 PM
we need him out of the club right now. he sets a dangerous prescendent for younger players, who will look at this multi-capped national team captain sitting around not caring what happens and think this is what you can get away with once you've 'made it'.Or he could stand as a shining example of what can go wrong, that no matter how talented you are you can't relax. Sport is littered with guys like this, masses of talent, but for one reason or another, never win anything in the majors.

The question of whether he cares or not is a subjective one, some games he does try hard, though the tightness of his shorts suggests someone with a fairly relaxed attitude to training. It's an attitutude that's probably as much physical as mental, some people just don't train well, but that's not to absolve anyone who can't stay fit.

Confidence is clearly an issue. But to get the best out of him we'd need to give him a free role, and absolve him of defensive duties. And I doubt this is something we can offer. Our wingers need to do huge amounts of work backwards and forwards. This is true whether we have conventional fullback who push up high, or stopgap fullbacks who struggle to cope with opposition wingers.

Olivier's xmas twist
24-01-2012, 12:45 PM
As for Arshavin himself like gary Neveille said let him go because he does notcare about the club, the fans andhis motivation is gone we can't afford to carry players now with the sqaud as it is.

Wenger sell him this week but he won't so keep him for the summer.

think he could suprise us in the CL though.

Letters
24-01-2012, 12:48 PM

Unless you've asked each fan what they were booing at it's very hard to say whether it was aimed personally at Arshavin but people's patience with him is (understandably) wearing thin. The reaction near me was a clear boo when his name was read out, it sounded to me like it was directed at him. It certainly sounded like it was aimed at him and Arshavin clearly thought it was. It was an idiotic reaction because as you often say on here we need to get behind our players no matter what. The booing for the substitution was fair enough because it was the wrong decision and that boo was clearly aimed at Wenger. The reaction to Arshavin's name was out of order. As for him being professional...he's also human and these things clearly have an effect as they did on Eboue when the crowd getting on his back only made him play worse.

Kano
24-01-2012, 12:54 PM
Or he could stand as a shining example of what can go wrong, that no matter how talented you are you can't relax. Sport is littered with guys like this, masses of talent, but for one reason or another, never win anything in the majors.
i'm not too sure having that living and breathing example in and amongst a crop of players in a big club currently under quite a fair amount of pressure is really beneficial to anyone.

Niall_Quinn
24-01-2012, 12:56 PM
Unless you've asked each fan what they were booing at it's very hard to say whether it was aimed personally at Arshavin but people's patience with him is (understandably) wearing thin. The reaction near me was a clear boo when his name was read out, it sounded to me like it was directed at him. It certainly sounded like it was aimed at him and Arshavin clearly thought it was. It was an idiotic reaction because as you often say on here we need to get behind our players no matter what. The booing for the substitution was fair enough because it was the wrong decision and that boo was clearly aimed at Wenger. The reaction to Arshavin's name was out of order. As for him being professional...he's also human and these things clearly have an effect as they did on Eboue when the crowd getting on his back only made him play worse.

You're wrong on everything there.

Letters
24-01-2012, 12:58 PM
You're wrong on everything there.

wrong like your face?
lolz.

Fist of Lehmann
24-01-2012, 12:59 PM
Boos are boos, they are difficult to discrimiate. And even if they weren't directly directed at him, he seems like the kind of guy that might take that to heart. Especially when confidence is low anyway.

Wenger's sub precipitated the reaction, Arshavin just got caught in the crossfire.

Niall_Quinn
24-01-2012, 01:00 PM
wrong like your face?
lolz.

Exactly - just like my face. That's how bad your post was!

Fist of Lehmann
24-01-2012, 01:01 PM
i'm not too sure having that living and breathing example in and amongst a crop of players in a big club currently under quite a fair amount of pressure is really beneficial to anyone.Where better to observe somthing than right in front of you?

Marc Overmars
24-01-2012, 01:02 PM
He should be the first one out the door in the summer, the guy is probably one of our top 3 earners. A complete waste of money and talent.

Niall_Quinn
24-01-2012, 01:02 PM
Where better to observe somthing than right in front of you?

Arshavin would still be visible from a few miles away, tbf.

Syn
24-01-2012, 01:04 PM
I don't think it's confidence. I think football just doesn't excite him any more and he's given up on trying to become any better.

I think that's fair enough, really. I'd imagine that's what I'd be like if I was a footballer. Some people can get bored by it.

Niall_Quinn
24-01-2012, 01:05 PM
I don't think it's confidence. I think football just doesn't excite him any more and he's given up on trying to become any better.

I think that's fair enough, really. I'd imagine that's what I'd be like if I was a footballer. Some people can get bored by it.

You'd hope the manager would twig if that was the case.

Syn
24-01-2012, 01:10 PM

Why would Arsene want to change him? Arshavin is half his comedy act. He can't WUM nearly as effectively without having the 'Arshavin sub' card.

Japan Shaking All Over
24-01-2012, 01:13 PM

But when the manager you are hoping to do the twigging is Wenger, it wouldnt matter if the whole fucking tree fell on him, he still wouldnt get it

Power n Glory
24-01-2012, 01:16 PM

I not even sure it's that. He's not happy here at the club or in this country. Doesn't help that he' played out of position as well. He's been off form for ages now and Wenger hasn't listened to him about playing in a more central role. He's done it for a Carling Cup game and way back when we had no strikers in a 4-3-3. The fans have been on his back for months and he keeps getting played in a position that doesn't suit him. I think he's numb to it all now.

Fist of Lehmann
24-01-2012, 01:18 PM
It's true that when you've come from a poor background you can lose your hunger, once you've made it and are now lounging around the mansion in your gold-encrusted shorts.

And if it were the case, Wenger may well have realised. Unfortunately, we sort of need him atm, and even if Wenger considered selling him last summer, the squad turnover was already too large to consider it.

Syn
24-01-2012, 01:20 PM
I don't get the 'out of position' thing. Maybe he's not playing in his ideal position, but that doesn't give you licence to play like a retard. If I'm remembering right, he was playing on the left when he was destroying teams to get us in the top 4. But in either case, no matter where you are on the pitch, I think if you fancy yourself as a showboating poncy twat, you can skip past players whether you're in defence or midfield or attack, on the left, centre or right. He used to be able to beat a couple of players with ease and find a great ball. Now nevermind about beating players, he can't even make simple 10 yard passes without it being intercepted half the time.

Marc Overmars
24-01-2012, 01:22 PM
Players like him are the reason we've regressed so badly. Disinterested muppets that live in their own bubble.

Get rid.

Japan Shaking All Over
24-01-2012, 01:24 PM
I not even sure it's that. He's not happy here at the club or in this country. Doesn't help that he' played out of position as well. He's been off form for ages now and Wenger hasn't listened to him about playing in a more central role. He's done it for a Carling Cup game and way back when we had no strikers in a 4-3-3. The fans have been on his back for months and he keeps getting played in a position that doesn't suit him. I think he's numb to it all now.

I agree the guy is not a winger and is not suited to the system, the blame for this falls squarely on Wengers shoulders. I think Arshavin was a great player to have bought but Wenger was quite clearly wrong to think that the guy could change as he has been with not only Arshavin.

It seems the football has been drilled out of the guy because he offers little to no contribution. However one thing he has learnt though it to spin a yarn, wasnt it him that was vowing to up his game earlier in the season, sure he may be out of position but the fans want to see guys take their chance and use a la Oxo because if he aint starting games from now on, Wenger quite clearly has more than just one screw loose

GP
24-01-2012, 01:27 PM
I don't get the 'out of position' thing. Maybe he's not playing in his ideal position, but that doesn't give you licence to play like a retard. If I'm remembering right, he was playing on the left when he was destroying teams to get us in the top 4. But in either case, no matter where you are on the pitch, I think if you fancy yourself as a showboating poncy twat, you can skip past players whether you're in defence or midfield or attack, on the left, centre or right. He used to be able to beat a couple of players with ease and find a great ball. Now nevermind about beating players, he can't even make simple 10 yard passes without it being intercepted half the time.

qft

Olivier's xmas twist
24-01-2012, 01:30 PM

He should play where he is fecking told ffs, if he can't show motivation for that then why should be paly in the centre because he wants too.

He is a footballer not a school boy ffs

Japan Shaking All Over
24-01-2012, 01:31 PM
I agree the guy is not a winger and is not suited to the system, the blame for this falls squarely on Wengers shoulders. I think Arshavin was a great player to have bought but Wenger was quite clearly wrong to think that the guy could change as he has been with not only Arshavin.

It seems the football has been drilled out of the guy because he offers little to no contribution. However one thing he has learnt though it to spin a yarn, wasnt it him that was vowing to up his game earlier in the season, sure he may be out of position but the fans want to see guys take their chance and use a la Oxo because if he aint starting games from now on, Wenger quite clearly has more than just one screw loose

Reading back on that, it kind of sounds like I am protecting him which really I'm not, becausr as a fan when I see a player with obvious talent putting in zero effort and making a balls of simple tasks, as someone said '10 yard passes' and seemingly only capable of running to pick up hos payslip, then an Arsenal shirt is not the one I want to see him in.

Marc Overmars
24-01-2012, 01:31 PM
I don't buy this confidence thing either.

There have been mumerings of fan discontent about Arshavin for well over a year now. His performances reflect that and if he had anything about him as a professional we wouldn't still be talking about this.

Cripps_orig
24-01-2012, 01:35 PM
Wengeritis has hit him the hardest.

We all saw how good he was previous to joining us and even when he joined us back in January 09.

He then had a full pre season under Wenger and he was coached out of all his talents and tried to get him to play the pass, pass, pass, lets not go anywhere but lose the ball and probably concede, pass, pass pass Wengerball way that has become so common in the past few years. So Wenger has totally mismanged him. Out of position, expecting him to defend which tbf he does try but hes not very good at it, case in point, the last game v Mancs. He tracked back but he didnt do much. So yes i blame Wenger mostly.

Saying that though, Arshavin is an international and a captain at that as Wenger made sure we knew and he probably could have done better to fight the effects of Wengeritis. He seems disinterested now.

Move him on. Hopefully will still get £10m for him from Anzhi Makelele whatever and that £10m will go down well in the pockets of Wenger and the board

Niall_Quinn
24-01-2012, 01:53 PM
Why would Arsene want to change him? Arshavin is half his comedy act. He can't WUM nearly as effectively without having the 'Arshavin sub' card.

That's what I meant. A WUM who was really on the ball would have appointed Arshavin as fitness coach and motivational trainer by now. Wenger isn't getting as much out of Arshavin as he could, Wenger out!

Niall_Quinn
24-01-2012, 01:56 PM
qft

Quit fucking typing?

Niall_Quinn
24-01-2012, 01:57 PM
He should play where he is fecking told ffs, if he can't show motivation for that then why should be paly in the centre because he wants too.

He is a footballer not a school boy ffs

He looks a bit like a school boy.

Olivier's xmas twist
24-01-2012, 02:00 PM
Wengeritis has hit him the hardest.

We all saw how good he was previous to joining us and even when he joined us back in January 09.

He then had a full pre season under Wenger and he was coached out of all his talents and tried to get him to play the pass, pass, pass, lets not go anywhere but lose the ball and probably concede, pass, pass pass Wengerball way that has become so common in the past few years. So Wenger has totally mismanged him. Out of position, expecting him to defend which tbf he does try but hes not very good at it, case in point, the last game v Mancs. He tracked back but he didnt do much. So yes i blame Wenger mostly.

Saying that though, Arshavin is an international and a captain at that as Wenger made sure we knew and he probably could have done better to fight the effects of Wengeritis. He seems disinterested now.

Move him on. Hopefully will still get £10m for him from Anzhi Makelele whatever and that £10m will go down well in the pockets of Wenger and the board

Rubbish, He had been playing well till about Russia not going to the world cup then he sulked for a year because of it. now he can't be bothered and is only worried about his bank balance.

He saw the way we play before he joined, could have gone else where if he hated it, only thing AW is reposnisble foris still playing him.

GP
24-01-2012, 02:15 PM
Quit fucking typing?

Please.

Niall_Quinn
24-01-2012, 02:23 PM
Please.

Didn't say Simon says!

You had your chance and you blew it.

Cripps_orig
24-01-2012, 02:54 PM
Rubbish, He had been playing well till about Russia not going to the world cup then he sulked for a year because of it. now he can't be bothered and is only worried about his bank balance.

He saw the way we play before he joined, could have gone else where if he hated it, only thing AW is reposnisble foris still playing him.I blame the board :NQ:

Boss
24-01-2012, 03:03 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLos2HMjs28

Niall_Quinn
24-01-2012, 03:12 PM
I blame the board :NQ:

"Wenger should be playing just behind Arshavin to cover him defensively. But the lazy fucker stays on the sidelines. Therefore Wenger responsible for this as well as the Italian cruise ship thing. Wenger Out and never allowed to drive boats again!" - ACH

gunnerrrrr
24-01-2012, 04:11 PM
i see alot of contradiction on this board...wont call out names, however the same people saying Asharvin is shiit fullstop also in other threads seem to questions why Wenger does not play players in their best position.

when Asharvin arrived, he thrived on the left...this was in a 442, so he midfield could offer better cover to him, and he was a revelation when the two upfront strikers created the space for him to exploit.

in this complete nonsense, psuysdo 433 that we play, the guy is massively exposed, he cannot do what he does best and that is cause devastation in the final third...his confidence is completely shot and he must hate going onto the pitch.

Wenger should have got the guy in tip top condition, played him in the centre or off RVP for at least 5-10 games and then seen what he could do.

I agree his form dipped after Russia did not qualify for the world cup however it was up to his coach to get the best back out of him, not keep on sticking him in a postion where he clearly suffers.

I made this comparison before, how effective would Dennis Bergkamp have been on the left in this useless psuedo 433, thats a valid question.

Wenger is blatantly to blame...who recall's playing Diaby on the wing, Song as CB etc....even Nasri was wasted on the right, when Cesc was injured and Narsi came into the middle last season he was magical, but as soon as Cesc is fit Nasri is pushed out wide and his form dropped in line with ours.

These are not co-incidences but they are down to Wenger forgetting that football comes first not all this science data bullshit, everyone does that crap now, why not go back to judging a footballer on what he does best.

GP
24-01-2012, 04:15 PM
Stuff him into a brown envelope and 'Arry will take him off our hands.

PGFC
24-01-2012, 04:23 PM
Stuff him into a brown envelope and 'Arry will take him off our hands.

That'll move the brown envelope business out of recession

Olivier's xmas twist
24-01-2012, 04:52 PM
Wenger is blatantly to blame...who recall's playing Diaby on the wing, Song as CB etc....even Nasri was wasted on the right, when Cesc was injured and Narsi came into the middle last season he was magical, but as soon as Cesc is fit Nasri is pushed out wide and his form dropped in line with ours.

These are not co-incidences but they are down to Wenger forgetting that football comes first not all this science data bullshit, everyone does that crap now, why not go back to judging a footballer on what he does best.

Rubbish, where did you expect daiby and song to play while fab and nas were in the middle for us. Nasri could play on the left so don't see the problem with it tbh. But while cesc was around it did not make sense to play in the middle.

as for song at CB most of here thought he was a CB at some point its only recently he has improved alot as a dm tbh don't see what choice aw had with him.

Power n Glory
24-01-2012, 05:02 PM
i see alot of contradiction on this board...wont call out names, however the same people saying Asharvin is shiit fullstop also in other threads seem to questions why Wenger does not play players in their best position.

when Asharvin arrived, he thrived on the left...this was in a 442, so he midfield could offer better cover to him, and he was a revelation when the two upfront strikers created the space for him to exploit.

in this complete nonsense, psuysdo 433 that we play, the guy is massively exposed, he cannot do what he does best and that is cause devastation in the final third...his confidence is completely shot and he must hate going onto the pitch.

Wenger should have got the guy in tip top condition, played him in the centre or off RVP for at least 5-10 games and then seen what he could do.

I agree his form dipped after Russia did not qualify for the world cup however it was up to his coach to get the best back out of him, not keep on sticking him in a postion where he clearly suffers.

I made this comparison before, how effective would Dennis Bergkamp have been on the left in this useless psuedo 433, thats a valid question.

:gp:

Syn
24-01-2012, 05:08 PM
Arshavin is having a mid-life crisis tbh.

Syn
24-01-2012, 05:09 PM
I bet he has a terrible relationship with his father.

Power n Glory
24-01-2012, 07:55 PM

When a players confidence is rock bottom you start seeing odd things. Remember how Sol Cambell would go to pieces when his confidence took a knock? Or Eduardo's last season for us. Torres...it can happen.

The funny thing is, Wenger knows Arshavin goes for high risk passes that's why his assist ratio is so good. He was saying the other day that Theo's end product was suffering because he's doing so much defensive work and getting to the final third and he's knackered. That could be true, could be a factor but Theo can't cross anyway, but if he says that about Theo then how true is that for Arshavin? Also, he may have good technical skills and can dribble but je's not the sort of guy that should be on the wing running at defenders. Take Nasri as an example. The ball would stick to his feet but he's not the sort of winger that scares defenders. Same can be said for Arsh.

Also, when playing the 4-4-2, he was lazy and would never drop back. He's making an effort to do that now, but as seen against Man U, that isn't what he's good at and asking him to curb his attacking play just isn't helping us. If we're not going to use him properly then it's best we keep him out of th team. Playing him on the flank is as bad as playing Djourou as right back.

gunnerrrrr
24-01-2012, 08:14 PM
Rubbish, where did you expect daiby and song to play while fab and nas were in the middle for us. Nasri could play on the left so don't see the problem with it tbh. But while cesc was around it did not make sense to play in the middle.

as for song at CB most of here thought he was a CB at some point its only recently he has improved alot as a dm tbh don't see what choice aw had with him.

ffs open your eyes mate.

What you do with Diaby and Song at that time is sell/loan the fcukers and bring in players who can do a world class job where it was needed. Why the fcuk are we playing Song at CB or Diaby on the wing just so Fab and Nas were there...how about having Fab and Nas there and having a proper winger? Not rocket science.

Who can forget the Asharvin up front disaster a few seasons back...what did he score one goal? Or the Djourou at right back this season....get a loan signing from the championship if you have to!!!

People really need to open their eyes...unbelivable

Syn
24-01-2012, 08:24 PM
When a players confidence is rock bottom you start seeing odd things. Remember how Sol Cambell would go to pieces when his confidence took a knock? Or Eduardo's last season for us. Torres...it can happen.

The funny thing is, Wenger knows Arshavin goes for high risk passes that's why his assist ratio is so good. He was saying the other day that Theo's end product was suffering because he's doing so much defensive work and getting to the final third and he's knackered. That could be true, could be a factor but Theo can't cross anyway, but if he says that about Theo then how true is that for Arshavin? Also, he may have good technical skills and can dribble but je's not the sort of guy that should be on the wing running at defenders. Take Nasri as an example. The ball would stick to his feet but he's not the sort of winger that scares defenders. Same can be said for Arsh.

Also, when playing the 4-4-2, he was lazy and would never drop back. He's making an effort to do that now, but as seen against Man U, that isn't what he's good at and asking him to curb his attacking play just isn't helping us. If we're not going to use him properly then it's best we keep him out of th team. Playing him on the flank is as bad as playing Djourou as right back.

You're right. It's probably not as clear cut as I'm trying to make out. But I just don't believe it's about confidence with Arshavin. I reckon he knows he's good. I reckon he knows he's one of the best around. He has been quiet recently but back when he was a hero, he used to get interviewed a lot and he used to say things that Joe Pubteamer doesn't. He is very intelligent. IMO he's far too intelligent to lose perspective and continue playing shit because he's 'low on confidence'. His mentality isn't a problem. But I think the thrill of 'being a hero' is gone for him now and it's not worth his effort to focus on getting back to his best. I don't think he's unhappy with his role right now.

Torres? Yeah, he's probably a fanny.

I know there are plenty of examples of very talented players starting to play bad due to an injury or lack of confidence - maybe even, as you say, mismanagement. Maybe Wenger hasn't dealt with Arshavin as well as he should have. I don't doubt that. But I just can't believe that a player of Arshavin's ability can consistently misplace simple 10 yard passes without a serious lack of self-focus. At a certain stage, as a grown man of 30 years old, you have to enough pride to decide that your performances are embarrassing and it's time to improve. If Arshavin decided to improve and focus, I reckon he could turn it around. But football, now, is just a job for him and he's getting paid the same regardless.

I think Wenger hasn't managed some players well. Despite most Arsenal fans disagreeing with it, I think Walcott has good technical ability. Not on Oxlade's level but Theo can take a 50 yard pass under pressure better than most. And from the way he strikes the ball, you can tell he has good technique. But he has been held back a bit. He has been allowed to keep passing in-field instead of being told to take people on. When he came here at 17, he could take players on. I don't think I was imagining that. He could beat players. But after a few years without practice, now he can't. Anyway, forget Theo - about Andrey Depreshavin (Depression? Could it catch on?) he has to take the blame IMO - not Arsene.

Olivier's xmas twist
24-01-2012, 08:35 PM
ffs open your eyes mate.

What you do with Diaby and Song at that time is sell/loan the fcukers and bring in players who can do a world class job where it was needed. Why the fcuk are we playing Song at CB or Diaby on the wing just so Fab and Nas were there...how about having Fab and Nas there and having a proper winger? Not rocket science.

Who can forget the Asharvin up front disaster a few seasons back...what did he score one goal? Or the Djourou at right back this season....get a loan signing from the championship if you have to!!!

Did i say AW never made mistakes so stop puting words in my mouth please. So because AA was played out of place that gives him an excuse to behave like an ass.

yes wenger plays people in the wrong posistion but it up to them to make sure they get played in the right posistion.

Our play was never about width so why would we go and buy a winger in a 433. it was pass pas did not need a winger for that did we, nas and cesc in the middle were fine. Song was poor in those days and diaby was always injured so how could he play in the middle.

Power n Glory
24-01-2012, 09:01 PM
You're right. It's probably not as clear cut as I'm trying to make out. But I just don't believe it's about confidence with Arshavin. I reckon he knows he's good. I reckon he knows he's one of the best around. He has been quiet recently but back when he was a hero, he used to get interviewed a lot and he used to say things that Joe Pubteamer doesn't. He is very intelligent. IMO he's far too intelligent to lose perspective and continue playing shit because he's 'low on confidence'. His mentality isn't a problem. But I think the thrill of 'being a hero' is gone for him now and it's not worth his effort to focus on getting back to his best. I don't think he's unhappy with his role right now.

Torres? Yeah, he's probably a fanny.

I know there are plenty of examples of very talented players starting to play bad due to an injury or lack of confidence - maybe even, as you say, mismanagement. Maybe Wenger hasn't dealt with Arshavin as well as he should have. I don't doubt that. But I just can't believe that a player of Arshavin's ability can consistently misplace simple 10 yard passes without a serious lack of self-focus. At a certain stage, as a grown man of 30 years old, you have to enough pride to decide that your performances are embarrassing and it's time to improve. If Arshavin decided to improve and focus, I reckon he could turn it around. But football, now, is just a job for him and he's getting paid the same regardless.

I think Wenger hasn't managed some players well. Despite most Arsenal fans disagreeing with it, I think Walcott has good technical ability. Not on Oxlade's level but Theo can take a 50 yard pass under pressure better than most. And from the way he strikes the ball, you can tell he has good technique. But he has been held back a bit. He has been allowed to keep passing in-field instead of being told to take people on. When he came here at 17, he could take players on. I don't think I was imagining that. He could beat players. But after a few years without practice, now he can't. Anyway, forget Theo - about Andrey Depreshavin (Depression? Could it catch on?) he has to take the blame IMO - not Arsene.

Could be that he doesn't give a damn now. His contract is running low, the fans hate him and Wenger won't listen to him. But, you get glimpses of the guy trying to make a real go of it and remember the guy putting in some hard tackles last season to try and please the crowd.

I blame Wenger because it seems like he's blatantly ignoring the obvious with this guy. He's not protecting him, that's for sure a knows the fans are on his back. But sentiment aside, Wenger's little sport science stat machine must show that this guy isn't suited on the flanks. If he's able to get info about peak condition and when a player is likely to tire, he must know that around the 60 minute mark this guy is dead on his feet. He must know that the clock his against him and at 30 his legs and stamina won't improve, it's all downhill from here. He must see on the stats sheet that this guy rarely makes an interception or successful tackle and as he tires the chances of him even tracking his runner diminishes. Those are the negatives.

On the more positive, his assist ratio is great and he goes for the risky pass. When we have playere that are too slow to spot the pass/afraid or just lack the skill to pull it off, why not play Arshavin where any natural playmaker would be dangerous? Especially when we're struggling to create chances and our defensive midfielder has more assists than Ramsey and Arteta. Wouldn't that make sense? He's poor at tackling and has stamina issues. Henry was allowed to be a lazy bastard at times and was able to catch his breath with his hands on hips while taking a stroll when the ball was at the other end. If Arshavin has a stamina problem and can't tackle, he shouldn't be on the wing. Fergie took off his full back and put Valencia to right back and Park ahead when he came on. He knew he could exploit the weakness. Wenger knew that Man U were dangerous down the flanks put took the risk anyway even though he knew that we'd be exposed. I really can't understand why Wenger plays him there, especially when the stats that he likes to depend on probably suggests that he has no business playing there either.

I mentioned Ramsey and we have all seen how useless he is. Why play a 4-3-3 when the middle three unit don't play together and are so disjointed? Just play a 4-4-1-1. It's not as if Man U were packing the midfield as they used to do back in the day. We have an inefficient player in our 4-3-3 every time and Wenger doesn't get it. Someone on another board even said he has to business playing a 4-3-3 without natural full backs. He's damn right but Wenger won't budge.

Ollie the Optimist
24-01-2012, 09:02 PM
a player on 80k a week or more can relaise that in fact he is playing on the wing and put the extra hours in on the training ground to learn, can put 100% effort in every game and sprint his fucking bollocks to get back or forward whatever

Power n Glory
24-01-2012, 09:04 PM
ffs open your eyes mate.

Ignore that guy.

Power n Glory
24-01-2012, 09:11 PM
a player on 80k a week or more can relaise that in fact he is playing on the wing and put the extra hours in on the training ground to learn, can put 100% effort in every game and sprint his fucking bollocks to get back or forward whatever

Wenger doesn't allow extra training sessions I heard.

Olivier's xmas twist
24-01-2012, 09:26 PM

Kano
24-01-2012, 09:46 PM
Wenger doesn't allow extra training sessions I heard.

i think i remember last season walcott saying sagna, mannone, chamakh and himself were doing extra sessions.

gunnerrrrr
24-01-2012, 09:51 PM

just at Henry should have done so when he was a winger in Italy...put in extra effort and all would have been well on the wing?

Nope how about come to a club where his strenghts were played too, in front of our greatest number 10 who made full use of Henrys main ability....finishing and pace.

Apply the above to Asharvin and away we go.

Master Splinter
24-01-2012, 09:52 PM
i think i remember last season walcott saying sagna, mannone, chamakh and himself were doing extra sessions.

Sounds like a dodgy source.

Power n Glory
24-01-2012, 10:00 PM
just at Henry should have done so when he was a winger in Italy...put in extra effort and all would have been well on the wing?

Nope how about come to a club where his strenghts were played too, in front of our greatest number 10 who made full use of Henrys main ability....finishing and pace.

Speaking of Henry, when he went to Barcs and played on the flanks, he struggled a bit and never really won over the fans with his performances. Playing in 4-5-1 for us also meant he had to adjust his game as well. He wasn't used to playing with his back to goal and often got caught in possession.

Ollie the Optimist
24-01-2012, 10:04 PM

henry was going to be played as a striker, he was moved pretty quickly. fat fuck been playing there for three years. he can do extra sessions to improve. he can run and track back. not wengers fault that fat fuck falls over and then takes ages to get up and laughs. thats fat fucks fault. wenger migth be playing in wrong posistion but player can put a fucking shift esp when we pay him 80k a week. turning up to preseason overweight is not wenger its fat fuck. he is unprofessional and can fuck off

Olivier's xmas twist
24-01-2012, 10:17 PM
henry was going to be played as a striker, he was moved pretty quickly. fat fuck been playing there for three years. he can do extra sessions to improve. he can run and track back. not wengers fault that fat fuck falls over and then takes ages to get up and laughs. thats fat fucks fault. wenger migth be playing in wrong posistion but player can put a fucking shift esp when we pay him 80k a week. turning up to preseason overweight is not wenger its fat fuck. he is unprofessional and can fuck off

Too fecking right, people just letting their hatred of Wenger cloud their Judgement. This just shows how spoilt the morden day footballer is.Even if AA was played in the right posistion he still not put in a shift then what will be the excuse.

Can't blame Wenger for eveything single thing ffs

gunnerrrrr
25-01-2012, 01:24 AM
Too fecking right, people just letting their hatred of Wenger cloud their Judgement. This just shows how spoilt the morden day footballer is.Even if AA was played in the right posistion he still not put in a shift then what will be the excuse.

Can't blame Wenger for eveything single thing ffs

Lol I guess Eduardo was just lazy on the wing when also played there.

gunnerrrrr
25-01-2012, 01:29 AM

Whose to say he is not trying...Henry always looked like he was playing casually then bamm!! The point is why waste his ability on the wing...we don't defend collectively like Barcelona, so our wingers in the 3 get knAckered hence why Wallcot is always tired....Barca maintain possession, compress the half and collectively win back the ball so a player like Iniesta on the wing can still be dangerous.

Imagine Iniesta in our team, being told to track back like Asharvin And work his bollox off cos we are shit at defending as a team, even be would be fucking knAckered mate and be is the best midfielder in the world.

fakeyank
25-01-2012, 03:08 AM

May be Wenger shouldve bought horses for courses.. he bought a ton of CAM- Arshavin, Nasri, Rosicky, Diaby, Cesc (played that role too), Hleb. Diaby and Song shouldnt be playing on the right and left just because Cesc is playing there.. we shouldve had players who can play on the left and/or right!

Also how many players can you think of that Arsene has fucked up with playing this 4-3-3? Eduardo, Vela, Bendy, Arshavin, Chakma! Eduardo was a world class striker who he pushed on the left, Vela was promising but again brought from the bench to play on the left or right, Bendy on the right, Arshavin on the left/rigth, Chakma- he didnt know where to play him with RVP on the pitch! Why on earth we are stuck with this Barca lite 4-3-3 is beyond me? What have we won with this formation under AW? Nothing! FFS start from scratch, try something that has worked before!!

Olivier's xmas twist
25-01-2012, 12:25 PM
Lol I guess Eduardo was just lazy on the wing when also played there.

LOL

Olivier's xmas twist
25-01-2012, 12:25 PM
May be Wenger shouldve bought horses for courses.. he bought a ton of CAM- Arshavin, Nasri, Rosicky, Diaby, Cesc (played that role too), Hleb. Diaby and Song shouldnt be playing on the right and left just because Cesc is playing there.. we shouldve had players who can play on the left and/or right!

Also how many players can you think of that Arsene has fucked up with playing this 4-3-3? Eduardo, Vela, Bendy, Arshavin, Chakma! Eduardo was a world class striker who he pushed on the left, Vela was promising but again brought from the bench to play on the left or right, Bendy on the right, Arshavin on the left/rigth, Chakma- he didnt know where to play him with RVP on the pitch! Why on earth we are stuck with this Barca lite 4-3-3 is beyond me? What have we won with this formation under AW? Nothing! FFS start from scratch, try something that has worked before!!

Olivier's xmas twist
27-01-2012, 11:01 AM
Andrei Kanchelskis has launched an amazing attack on *fellow Russian Arshavin, who looks set to leave Arsenal in the summer after failing to live up to the *reputation he forged at Euro 2008.Ex-Manchester United winger Kanchelskis said: “I kept saying Andrey was an average player.
“At first they admired him in England, but now they have simply woken up to reality and see him for what he really is.
“Arshavin is not a player of Arsenal’s level and now suddenly a lot of people *recognise it.”

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/232409/Fabio-Capello-ready-to-unleash-Arsenal-s-Oxlade-Chamberlain-for-England/

IBK
27-01-2012, 11:21 AM
Arshavin has to take most of the blame for his sad decline, but as a club we are shocking at trying to help players recapture form. Wenger is the world's worse at the 'arm round the shoulder thing' (just stubbornly continuing to play players regardless is not the same thing), and we as fans are just as bad. Result - many players who start off great and never again recapture their form.

Kano
11-02-2012, 05:08 PM
far from a turn around in his form of course but two assists this season have got us 6 vital points, a couple more of those before the end will justify him sticking around.

Marc Overmars
11-02-2012, 05:09 PM
Fat Fuck playing himself into the shop window. :bow:

Kano
11-02-2012, 05:10 PM
more the bargain bin

gunsofashburtongrove
11-02-2012, 05:10 PM
far from a turn around in his form of course but two assists this season have got us 6 vital points, a couple more of those before the end will justify him sticking around.
Agreed far from a turn around, but credit to him for the performance today, looked dangerous since he came on , the cross between two players marking him was sheer class

Cripps_orig
12-11-2012, 12:22 AM
WEALTHY footie ace Andrey Arshavin saves McDonald’s discount vouchers to “treat” his family to cheap grub, it emerged yesterday.
The £80,000-a-week Arsenal forward regularly snubs trendy celeb hotspots such as The Ivy.
Instead, the Russian star scrimps together £1.99 meal deal tokens when he takes his missus and their three kids to their local McDonald’s in London’s posh Hampstead.
One stunned worker said: “None of us can believe it when we see Andrey in here with his family.

“He’s a regular, so collects the £1.99 meal deal vouchers to cut down on the total when they’re in. He could easily afford to eat anywhere in town.
“But he says he loves the taste of our food and recognises it’s cheap for a full family.” The source added Andrey, 31, does his best to keep the Gunners’ nutritionist happy by opting for the “healthier” Filet-O-Fish.
But it’s almost 400 calories on its own and nearly 1,000 calories when he adds his fries and drink.
The vouchers are handed out in the street and at the eaterie.
Andrey was one of the Gunners’ most expensive signings at more than £15million from Zenit St Petersburg in 2009.
He was named on the bench for yesterday’s 3-3 home draw with Fulham.

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4638275/andrey-arshavin-collects-mcdonalds-vouchers.html#ixzz2Bxm5r7oy

:bow:

Is restoring my faith in football with his down to earth ways

Filet O Fish burgers are awesome :bow:

Olivier's xmas twist
12-11-2012, 12:24 AM
Cheap ass **** lol.

Niall_Quinn
12-11-2012, 12:27 AM
80K a week for a fast food junkie. People think Balotelli is a rebel but Arshavin is way down the road and leaves him in his dust. Not surprised he doesn't smoke on the pitch in a football sense, but I'm very surprised he doesn't actually smoke on the pitch.

Olivier's xmas twist
12-11-2012, 12:28 AM
80K a week for a fast food junkie. People think Balotelli is a rebel but Arshavin is way down the road and leaves him in his dust. Not surprised he doesn't smoke on the pitch in a football sense, but I'm very surprised he doesn't actually smoke on the pitch.

Yeah all those burgers, no wonder he is so lazy.

Cripps_orig
12-11-2012, 12:33 AM
Why is he considered lazy?

Cos he doesnt defend?

Hes not a defender....

He runs his arse off whenever he comes on to no avail cos no other **** we have is at his level and has the vision to find him. Sure hes not the best defensively but im not going to join the ranks of the clueless and call him shit cos of it

Niall_Quinn
12-11-2012, 12:37 AM
Why is he considered lazy?

Cos he doesnt defend?

Hes not a defender....

He runs his arse off whenever he comes on to no avail cos no other **** we have is at his level and has the vision to find him. Sure hes not the best defensively but im not going to join the ranks of the clueless and call him shit cos of it

Nobody called him shit.

Olivier's xmas twist
12-11-2012, 12:43 AM
Nobody called him shit.

Pretty much

:haha:

Ach twisting words as only Ach can, best in the world at what he does tbh.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
12-11-2012, 12:57 AM
charlie owns ach again :haha:

whats that? 7-5 to charlie? after ach took a 4-0 lead as well :haha:

Özil's Panoramic View
12-11-2012, 12:58 AM

:haha:

Stats/numbers :bow:

Olivier's xmas twist
12-11-2012, 01:00 AM

Tbf i needed it after he and Zimm laid the smack down on me yesterday.

Cripps_orig
12-11-2012, 01:02 AM
Um ok :blink:

Niall_Quinn
12-11-2012, 01:15 AM
Um ok :blink:

At least be owned with some dignity would you?

Cripps_orig
12-04-2013, 12:30 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22122123

He's gone

A shame. Hardly given a chance yet more talented than most of the cloggers playing for us atm.

Thank you Andreiy and god speed

Marc Overmars
12-04-2013, 12:35 PM
Such a waste of money.

PGFC
12-04-2013, 01:00 PM
Such a waste of money.

You could do two funerals with what he cost :sulk:

Özim
12-04-2013, 01:01 PM
Such a waste of money.
Like most of Wenger's signings these days tbh.

McNamara That Ghost...
12-04-2013, 01:23 PM
We'll always have Anfield. Twice.

Shaqiri Is Boss
12-04-2013, 01:28 PM
We'll always have Anfield. Twice.

Probably the most ridiculous game I've ever seen, the 4-4.

By the end of it I didn't even care about the result, despite us theoretically being in the title race, I was too busy laughing.

Cripps_orig
12-04-2013, 01:29 PM
Such a waste of money.

Nah

Was awesome when he came. Then got in to double figures goals wise in the next 2 seasons playing out of position. Also assisted quite a few. Tried to make things happen, arguably our most creative player and didn't agree with the pass pass pass, bore the fuck out of everyone, lose the ball, concede, pass pass pass bs that we play hence he was frozen out

Cripps_orig
12-04-2013, 01:36 PM
http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/wenger-don-t-question-arshavin-desire

The GW myth of Arshavin being lazy being ripped apart from their own idol

Letters
12-04-2013, 01:41 PM

Yes, Wenger is well known for honest and objective assessments of his players.

Xhaka Can’t
12-04-2013, 01:49 PM
GW is the only place I have ever heard of Arshavin being referred to as 'lazy'.

A Google search of 'Arshavin lazy' will confirm this.

Özil's Panoramic View
12-04-2013, 01:53 PM

Irony. :bow:

Letters
12-04-2013, 01:56 PM
GW is the only place I have ever heard of Arshavin being referred to as 'lazy'.

A Google search of 'Arshavin lazy' will confirm this.

:lol:

Cripps_orig
12-04-2013, 02:03 PM
Regardless, I'd rather believe someone who watches him every day than bandwagon jumpers

Letters
12-04-2013, 02:07 PM
Regardless, I'd rather say the opposite of what everyone else thinks if it gets me some attention

Fair enough.

Cripps_orig
12-04-2013, 02:13 PM
Well no but typical wumming from you again :rolleyes:

It's called having a mind of your own rather than being a sheep and following others.

Power n Glory
12-04-2013, 02:19 PM
If Arshavin was an isolated case, then I'd put it down to the player and nothing to do with our camp. But we have a load of other players frozen out of the squad an lacking confidence and form. I'm worried about the summer. On the one hand I want us to spend big but I'm also worried we'll waste money again. Maybe Wenger is better off with low key players.

McNamara That Ghost...
12-04-2013, 02:28 PM
Probably the most ridiculous game I've ever seen, the 4-4.

By the end of it I didn't even care about the result, despite us theoretically being in the title race, I was too busy laughing.

It was indeed completely mental. The nervous kittens were out in force from both teams.

Xhaka Can’t
12-04-2013, 02:32 PM
I agree with you insofar as fearing what will be made of limited resources. We can afford to spend big, but can ill afford to waste big.

I'd rather a last season of deja vu, than to have a potential new manager come in during 2014/15 with hands tied managing a Wenger side with little scope to build his own team.

But I do think Arshavin is an eccentric whose heart hasn't been in it for years.

Cripps_orig
12-04-2013, 02:32 PM
Was talking about that match at work recently with a Liverpool fan.

He said that's the match that cost them the league.

Agree?

Özim
12-04-2013, 02:40 PM
I agree with you insofar as fearing what will be made of limited resources. We can afford to spend big, but can ill afford to waste big.

I'd rather a last season of deja vu, than to have a potential new manager come in during 2014/15 with hands tied managing a Wenger side with little scope to build his own team.

But I do think Arshavin is an eccentric whose heart hasn't been in it for years.
What happens if Wenger signs a new contract until 2017?

Özil's Panoramic View
12-04-2013, 02:45 PM
Unless he wins the league next season, or he at least closes the point gap on the mancs to a competitve level, then I can't see that happening.

Xhaka Can’t
12-04-2013, 02:46 PM
What happens if Wenger signs a new contract until 2017?

I'll kick Letters in the face and balls.

Özim
12-04-2013, 02:48 PM
Unless he wins the league next season, or he at least closes the point gap on the mancs to a competitve level, then I can't see that happening.
He's won nothing in years and still got new contracts. Then there's the glowing compliments the board always pay him, I don't think it's too far fetched for him to be offered a new contract when the time comes, they've said many times before it's down to him if he wants to stay on, they'll be very happy for him to stay onboard as they have 100% trust in him.

The Emirates Gallactico
12-04-2013, 02:54 PM
Such a waste of money.

Nah he was worth it for getting us into the top four that season when it looked well gone to O'Neill (lol) Villa side.

Considering we're meant to earn 40 million for just simply entering the CL it was worth the investment in the end.

Now I hope the likes of Denilson, Bendtner, Park, Djourou, Squillachi, Chamakh and the other leeches follow suit.

Özil's Panoramic View
12-04-2013, 02:55 PM
He's won nothing in years and still got new contracts. Then there's the glowing compliments the board always pay him, I don't think it's too far fetched for him to be offered a new contract when the time comes, they've said many times before it's down to him if he wants to stay on, they'll be very happy for him to stay onboard as they have 100% trust in him.

Not sure the WO sentiment upon his last new contract signing was anywhere as vehemently strong as it is now.

More importantly, his failings weren't as pronounced as they are now.

Özim
12-04-2013, 02:58 PM
Not sure the WO sentiment upon his last new contract signing was anywhere as vehemently strong as it is now.

More importantly, his failings weren't as pronounced as they are now.
The board don't seem to recognise his failings which is the important point here. They don't give a toss what the fans think and as long as the stadium is full have no motivation to change anything, sentiment is one thing but if it doesn't translate to lost ticket sales or income it has no relevance to our board.

Özil's Panoramic View
12-04-2013, 03:03 PM
The board don't seem to recognise his failings which is the important point here. They don't give a toss what the fans think and as long as the stadium is full have no motivation to change anything, sentiment is one thing but if it doesn't translate to lost ticket sales or income it has no relevance to our board.

Ahhh hah, the Board ****s. Now we're getting to the crux of the matter.

These are the fuckers that set the manager his targets.

Power n Glory
12-04-2013, 03:14 PM
Ahhh hah, the Board ****s. Now we're getting to the crux of the matter.

These are the fuckers that set the manager his targets.

The Board are a problem but the targets they set shouldn't limit Wenger. I'm sure the Board at Unite don't have to tell Fergie that he should be aiming for more CL cups and Prem titles.

Where is Wenger's sporting ambition? You see it with other managers and even in other sports where they won't settle for second best. Just look at that bastard Vettel as an example.

Cripps_orig
12-04-2013, 03:16 PM
Vettel is a legend tbh

Did the right thing

Xhaka Can’t
12-04-2013, 03:24 PM
The Board are a problem but the targets they set shouldn't limit Wenger. I'm sure the Board at Unite don't have to tell Fergie that he should be aiming for more CL cups and Prem titles.

Where is Wenger's sporting ambition? You see it with other managers and even in other sports where they won't settle for second best. Just look at that bastard Vettel as an example.

I don't think he does settle for second best.

I think he wants to be the best, but for some reason known only to himself, he is trying to be the best with second best rated players.

Power n Glory
12-04-2013, 03:35 PM

I think he wants to be the best, but for some reason known only to himself, he is trying to be the best with second best rated players.

I agree to an extent and he’s going to have to be honest with himself. Most people want to be the best at what they do but can hide behind reasons or make excuses for themselves if they’re not. I just think he hasn’t got it any more. If he still had the edge we’d have at least won some domestic trophies.

Letters
12-04-2013, 03:37 PM

Aye. It's complete balls to suggest that someone who has achieved all Wenger has is now suddenly not bothered about success.
Whether he's too principled or just unable to compete with all the money being thrown around, who knows. Maybe little bit both.
He's obviously bothered.

The board seem content to settle for perennial top 4 finishes though, if they weren't Wenger would have been sacked long ago.

Özil's Panoramic View
12-04-2013, 03:39 PM
Agreed, but if your bosses are happy with your output, and pat you on the back at the end of every profit making financial year, then who the hell can tell you that what you are doing isn't great? You have to remember who Wenger is really answerable to at the end of the day.

I honestly believe that he's given a tight budget to work with, and said budget only comes after major asset stripping. It has always been the Arsenal way. Even in our most successful era, this was how it was. An example is the sale of Anelka and the subsequent purchase of Henry. Now that worked well and we all hailed Wenger as a genius. Thing is, inevitably, others soon caught on and found ways to better what we were doing, especially when the arrogance and complacency started to seep in - a bit similar to the smartphone industry a la Blackberry and Apple/Android situation.

As for SAF, he really has no alternative but to reap on field success, because as heavily indebted as the mancs are, he's still given funds to work with in the transfer market without having to 1st strip down his team. The manc **** Board ensure that money is invested in the squad for the purpose of strengthening.

Özim
12-04-2013, 03:45 PM
It has always been the Arsenal way. Even in our most successful era, this was how it was. An example is the sale of Anelka and the subsequent purchase of Henry.
Anelka wanted to leave (we didn't want to sell him), he made a big fuss (him and his brother) to force a move and we were left with little choice, especially when Madrid offered big money as well.

Özil's Panoramic View
12-04-2013, 03:48 PM
Anelka wanted to leave (we didn't want to sell him), he made a big fuss (him and his brother) to force a move and we were left with little choice, especially when Madrid offered big money as well.

That a bit beside the point. What I'm trying to say is we made bank off him, bought Henry for peanuts and went on to achieve greatness.

We are stil trying to replicate these type of dealings and fortune to this very day.

Özim
Aye. It's complete balls to suggest that someone who has achieved all Wenger has is now suddenly not bothered about success.
He'd like to win in an ideal world but it's not the be all and end all, just listen to him talking about 4th place and his lack of emphasis on the cups.

In the old days he use to talk about competing for 4 trophies (when there were more games), now he just talks about 2 and watches his side fail every season without ever really addressing the problems.

A man really that concerned about winning wouldn't be telling us he's doing a good job getting 4th when he's won nothing since 2005.

Letters
Agreed, but if your bosses are happy with your output, and pat you on the back at the end of every profit making financial year, then who the hell can tell you that what you are doing isn't great? You have to remember who Wenger is really answerable to at the end of the day.

I honestly believe that he's given a tight budget to work with, and said budget only comes after major asset stripping. It has always been the Arsenal way. Even in our most successful era, this was how it was. An example is the sale of Anelka and the subsequent purchase of Henry. Now that worked well and we all hailed Wenger as a genius. Thing is, inevitably, others soon caught on and found ways to better what we were doing, especially when the arrogance and complacency started to seep in - a bit similar to the smartphone industry a la Blackberry and Apple/Android situation.

As for SAF, he really has no alternative but to reap on field success, because as heavily indebted as the mancs are, he's still given funds to work with in the transfer market without having to 1st strip down his team. The manc **** Board ensure that money is invested in the squad for the purpose of strengthening.

Our board are certainly not blameless. At best they've sat back and been far too content to watch the money keep rolling in. At worst they've asset stripped and made Wenger's job impossible. I think Wenger has been too principled though, in an era of clubs spending £20m on mediocre players he's refused to play that game. Admirable up to a point but you have to mix it with a bit of pragmatism. He's clearly not the bumbling idiot make out, even this season it's looking like we might scrape a top 4 finish, you don't do that every single year without having some nous, but we wouldn't have had to break the bank to be properly competitive.

Özim
12-04-2013, 03:50 PM
That a bit beside the point. What I'm trying to say is we made bank off him, bought Henry for peanuts and went on to achieve greatness.

We are stil trying to replicate these type of dealings and fortune to this very day.
I don't disagree, but that's not all driven by the board, Wenger endorses by going for players who aren't really on the radar (we could spend that money on players who are more high profile if we chose to) and has often said signings are not always the answer.

The policy very much suits his philosophy, we've heard him complain about the money in the game many times.

Letters
12-04-2013, 03:54 PM
He'd like to win in an ideal world but it's not the be all and end all, just listen to him talking about 4th place and his lack of emphasis on the cups.

In the old days he use to talk about competing for 4 trophies (when there were more games), now he just talks about 2 and watches his side fail every season without ever really addressing the problems.

A man really that concerned about winning wouldn't be telling us he's doing a good job getting 4th when he's won nothing since 2005.
Unfortunately in an era when football is a business and 4th place delivers such high financial rewards (we both agree it shouldn't, but it does), 4th place is unfortunately a high priority, not just for us. And when we don't have the infinite money cheat turned on like some clubs we are somewhat constrained in trying to compete. But I agree Wenger has focussed too much on perennial top 4 finishes and not invested where and when he should have.

Power n Glory
12-04-2013, 04:03 PM
We just have to accept that Wenger has lost his touch.

Shaqiri Is Boss
12-04-2013, 04:03 PM
Was talking about that match at work recently with a Liverpool fan.

He said that's the match that cost them the league.

Agree?
No.

Letters
12-04-2013, 04:06 PM
We just have to accept that Wenger has lost his touch.
I think it's a bit more complicated than that but he seems unable or unwilling to compete in the era of billionaires and now the methods he brought in are now widely adopted and no longer give us an edge.

Letters
12-04-2013, 04:09 PM
No.

You finished 4 points off the title that year. You won every league game after the Arsenal game. Even if you'd beaten us you'd have still finished 2 points behind.
So Cripps' colleague's theory makes no sense at all.

Shaqiri Is Boss
12-04-2013, 04:17 PM
You finished 4 points off the title that year. You won every league game after the Arsenal game. Even if you'd beaten us you'd have still finished 2 points behind.
So Cripps' colleague's theory makes no sense at all.
Well we didn't win the league thanks to too many stupid draws against crap teams; Hull, Stoke, Wigan et al, United had that stupid run of 10 games without conceding and because we bought Robbie fucking Keane instead of a footballer. Not because of "Rafa's rant" (our results were actually better after it) or a one off performance by a random Meerkat. And in any case, United were always a game or two in hand and nearly always ahead of us anyway, so we were relying on them tripping up.

And then it all turned to shit.

Power n Glory
12-04-2013, 04:20 PM
I think it's a bit more complicated than that but he seems unable or unwilling to compete in the era of billionaires and now the methods he brought in are now widely adopted and no longer give us an edge.

If he’s unable or unwilling to compete, wouldn’t that suggest he’s either lost his edge or settled?

Letters
12-04-2013, 04:22 PM
Aye, there was a run in the middle of the season when you drew 8 out of 14. Not good enough. That's what killed you.
You won 10 and drew 1 (the 4-4) of the last 11 games so you did your bit but Utd were always ahead and didn't trip up.

KSE Comedy Club
12-04-2013, 04:28 PM
If he’s unable or unwilling to compete, wouldn’t that suggest he’s either lost his edge or settled?

Yes it would.

Shaqiri Is Boss
12-04-2013, 06:06 PM
Aye, there was a run in the middle of the season when you drew 8 out of 14. Not good enough. That's what killed you.
You won 10 and drew 1 (the 4-4) of the last 11 games so you did your bit but Utd were always ahead and didn't trip up.

Yeah, we had a brilliant first third to the season, mediocre second and a brilliant final 3rd.

Oh well. I'm off to sit in the corner of the room and cry.

Cripps_orig
12-04-2013, 06:12 PM
Yeah, we had a brilliant first third to the season, mediocre second and a brilliant final 3rd.

What happened to go that close to the title to the total crap we have seen the following years?

Shaqiri Is Boss
12-04-2013, 06:17 PM
What happened to go that close to the title to the total crap we have seen the following years?

We sold Alonso and Rafa dispensed with his marbles.

Actually that should be the other way around.

Letters
12-04-2013, 06:21 PM

At least your glory years DVDs are in colour

Spurs :pal: