PDA

View Full Version : Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain v Theo Walcott

Aida
27-01-2012, 12:03 AM
Yes Alex has more potential but so did Theo, I think the only difference is that Alex is a more efficient as player. But Theo has a tireless determination that shows he is actually trying to play good even when his not, At least his a trier.

I THINK ALEX IS THE BETTER PLAYER BUT WALCOTT SHOWS SOME FLASHES OF TALENT BUT HIS NOT CONSISTENT WITH IT

GP
27-01-2012, 12:06 AM
Theo is shit and should be sold/killed.

Niall_Quinn
27-01-2012, 12:13 AM
Ox is a naturally gifted footballer, Theo can run fast. Play Ox and sell Theo while he still has some brand value. Use the money to get a decent striker. And get it done in the next few days.

Marc Overmars
27-01-2012, 12:14 AM
Theo can't beat his markers like Ox because he is totally reliant on his pace. Ox has the footwork of a natural footballer whereas Theo doesn't and never will. 9 times out of 10 he will just go for a foot race with his marker and either run into them or just get tackled. He is essentially a sprinter, didn't he only start playing football in his mid teens? That probably explains the lack of any natural ability.

There is a role for Theo to play but we don't see it consistently because we're not a savvy team, we don't play with any game plan or intelligence to exploit the opponent.

Look at Welbeck and Hernandez, nothing particuarly special about them, but they're pacey and United expoit that with perfect service to them, as their movement and pace will dictate.

Olivier's xmas twist
27-01-2012, 12:15 AM
Alex for deffo, Theo only has pace where as Alex has the skill and knows how to read the game better. Also Theo is not suited to the way we play, he be better off with a team that place with pace tbh. No club in the top 4 would want theo tbh.

GP
27-01-2012, 12:16 AM
yeah welbeck is shit too.

Cripps_orig
27-01-2012, 12:18 AM
Glad we have both

Theos the better player atm but hes older.

Pleased with how Ox is coming along. Needs a new manager though

Niall_Quinn
27-01-2012, 12:20 AM
Glad we have both

Good grief Charlie Brown. Ox is twice the player already.

Olivier's xmas twist
27-01-2012, 12:21 AM
Glad we have both

You need to stop smoking down edgeware road those fumes are getting to your brain.

Cripps_orig
27-01-2012, 12:23 AM
Im not in the business of critisising one player to praise another.

Im glad we have both

Niall_Quinn
27-01-2012, 12:26 AM
Im not in the business of critisising one player to praise another.

Im glad we have both

Good point. Leaving all references to Ox aside, Theo is shite.

Syn
27-01-2012, 12:28 AM
It wouldn't surprise me if Oxlade ended up like Theo in 5 years time. It wouldn't surprise me if Oxlade ended up like Ronaldo in 5 years time.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm not easily surprised.

Oxlade is a better player than Theo already but I will give credit to Theo for improving his defensive workrate a lot. He really does track back very well. Wenger has already said that Oxlade will have to learn to defend because Messi, Rooney, Van Persie etc. - any good attacker in the modern game is expected to do that. I suspect Oxlade will be given a run in the team now and I suspect he'll have a few poor games. But his technique and attacking threat will always remain because he is a genuinely good player and much more complete than most players in his position. If he is managed poorly, it could go to pieces though.

Cripps_orig
27-01-2012, 12:41 AM
Going to have to see more of AOC tbh

Atm hes flavour of the month and hes a shining light of a terrible time at our club thus he can do no wrong in the eyes of some fans. Im not like that. Let things settle down, let him have a run in the team and see how he does.

The voice of reason speaks, listen to it, fellas.

Niall_Quinn
27-01-2012, 12:58 AM
Going to have to see more of AOC tbh

Atm hes flavour of the month and hes a shining light of a terrible time at our club thus he can do no wrong in the eyes of some fans. Im not like that. Let things settle down, let him have a run in the team and see how he does.

The voice of reason speaks, listen to it, fellas.

Is he as good as Chamakh, or does he still have a way to go?

Power n Glory
27-01-2012, 07:31 AM
Like JW, Ox will end up playing in the centre for us and I suppose that is why Wenger wants him to work on his defensive game.

Japan Shaking All Over
27-01-2012, 09:41 AM
Although the signs are there it might be every so slightly premature to say Oxo is the better player now but Walcott is the older of the two and still cant seem ro be able to shoot cross or beat his man!

One thing he has is pace but when that goes he will be nothing more than an average player. . ..

Olivier's xmas twist
27-01-2012, 09:44 AM
Although the signs are there it might be every so slightly premature to say Oxo is the better player now but Walcott is the older of the two and still cant seem ro be able to shoot cross or beat his man!

One thing he has is pace but when that goes he will be nothing more than an average player. . ..

Too right, then he has the cheek to be demading 90k a week

GP
27-01-2012, 10:02 AM

I think his shooting is pretty good, and his crossing isn't so bad.

He's brain dead though, and rarely exploits his pace. Must sell.

Özim
27-01-2012, 10:24 AM
Walcott has always lacked that intelligence on the ball, Oxo is the perfect example of what Walcott lacks.....even at his age you can his talent he may not be able to produce consistently but the difference between him and Theo at his age was plain as day.

Walcott has had years of playing to prove himself and to be honest he's failed, his performances are generally average and despite being fortunate enough to get so much game time at a young age he just doesn't seem to have developed much.

If he left it wouldn't be the end of the world, for the salary he wants we could get someone better.

Power n Glory
27-01-2012, 10:53 AM
It's an unfair comparison.

Vela and Walcott would be a more fair comparison. Both strikers with pace having to play on the wing. As someone said, these guys are like Welbeck and Hernandez. You can't get away with playing these guys on the flanks. They don't have the dribbling skills.

Coney
27-01-2012, 11:15 AM

Vela and Walcott would be a more fair comparison. Both strikers with pace having to play on the wing. As someone said, these guys are like Welbeck and Hernandez. You can't get away with playing these guys on the flanks. They don't have the dribbling skills.

Even though Theo's playing intelligence looks like he's had a frontal lobotomy, he still doesn't dribble.

Power n Glory
27-01-2012, 11:29 AM
Even though Theo's playing intelligence looks like he's had a frontal lobotomy, he still doesn't dribble.

And Vela's last few performances on the flank?

Theo looks like a fish out of water for a reason. He's the type of player I wouldn't play on the wing. It's like playing Defoe on the flanks or the other two Man Utd players I mentioned. Remember when Eduardo was on the left as well? Not sure what Wenger is trying to do if he says he'll be a striker for us.

Coney
27-01-2012, 12:34 PM
And Vela's last few performances on the flank?

Theo looks like a fish out of water for a reason. He's the type of player I wouldn't play on the wing. It's like playing Defoe on the flanks or the other two Man Utd players I mentioned. Remember when Eduardo was on the left as well? Not sure what Wenger is trying to do if he says he'll be a striker for us.

I was only making a crap joke.

I'd give Theo a try in a 4-4-1-1 just off RvP, feeding to RvP or running in on returns from RvP.

Marc Overmars
27-01-2012, 12:41 PM
I would say we should sell him but then I think it's one that could come back to haunt us.

Power n Glory
27-01-2012, 12:41 PM

I'd give Theo a try in a 4-4-1-1 just off RvP, feeding to RvP or running in on returns from RvP.

Ahhhh.... I'm slow today. :lol:

On an IT training course and really should be paying attention.

Japan Shaking All Over
27-01-2012, 01:52 PM

Id give Arshavin his last chance in that role tbh

selassie
27-01-2012, 02:35 PM
I'm not a massive fan of Theo's but IMHO his limitations and flaws are being cruely exposed because we have a midfield that is unable to provide the sufficient service.

Balance in the team is wrong, as is the quality IMHO.

In terms of Alex vs Theo, different players, Alex will probably end up central, he pretty much has it all, just needs to be groomed. Theo is no doubt a limited player, he's a runner...if he has somebody who can provide him regular quality service he's a very good player for us ala last season.

dazthegooner
27-01-2012, 02:44 PM
Think Alex would smash Theo in two rounds with a swift right hook!!!! :unsure:

Niall_Quinn
27-01-2012, 04:58 PM

Wouldn't it be fair to say that with Walcott up front in the centre rather than RvP we'd be prime relegation candidates by now? I believe it is fair to compare Walcott with Ox because it's about the player being asked to perform a role for the team. Theo is doing that in a limited way with his improving willingness to track back, but he's more ineffective that has was a year ago in the attacking aspects of his game. If he can't dribble then he should concentrate on his control and passing which seem to be declining on a game by game basis. We could get the defensive cover Theo provides from a player like Gibbs who also has looked more dangerous going forwards, and it wouldn't cost nearly as much.

Niall_Quinn
27-01-2012, 05:06 PM
Id give Arshavin his last chance in that role tbh

Same here. His one final chance to find a role in the team or else head off somewhere else while he still has a transfer value. Then again, if Theo doesn't get special treatment and is expected to play for the team then who should we make allowances for Arshavin. He should have done a lot better than he has. How long could we risk playing him in the centre to see if he can deliver? A handful of games maximum before we'd have to call time on him I think. Is he the sort of player to deliver under that sort of pressure? Probably not.

Power n Glory
27-01-2012, 06:23 PM
Wouldn't it be fair to say that with Walcott up front in the centre rather than RvP we'd be prime relegation candidates by now? I believe it is fair to compare Walcott with Ox because it's about the player being asked to perform a role for the team. Theo is doing that in a limited way with his improving willingness to track back, but he's more ineffective that has was a year ago in the attacking aspects of his game. If he can't dribble then he should concentrate on his control and passing which seem to be declining on a game by game basis. We could get the defensive cover Theo provides from a player like Gibbs who also has looked more dangerous going forwards, and it wouldn't cost nearly as much.

With that sort of logic you could argue that Wenger is right to play Djourou as a right back and that we should be comparing him to Sagna in a few years time. You can't simply put in a few hours of training and acquire a new set of skills that rivals someone that has been practicing that skill since childhood.

I read a stat about Owen years some years back when he was on fire. He spend spends less than 10 seconds on the ball after each match. He doesn't dribble with the ball or drop deep and take his man on, he's all about off the ball movement and exploiting space. If he touches the ball it's usually one touch and bang, he's shooting on goal. That's a discipline that has taken years to perfect. You can't push a player like that out on to the flanks and expect him to carry the ball past defenders and provide great crosses if he spends very little time with the ball at his feet. It won't work. Doesn't matter how hard he trains at it.

It's like the Gerrard and Lampard debate and people not understanding why they can't play together in a 4-4-2. You can't just throw players into positions and expect things to work and that example involves two central midfielders. Right now, we're talking about a kid that has been trained as a striker playing on the wings even though he can't dribble, playing in a team that plays the ball to feet, has a very weak midfield with players that are struggling to create chances and no real wingbacks. This team has issues and if we're not going to spend, we should make best of what we have.

You're missing that point and it's a little frustrating. During the Man Utd game, didn't I say that our wing backs need cover from the wide attackers to stop Man Utd exploiting Djourou? You dismissed it during the match thread at HT and said our wingers shouldn't have to cover but saw exactly what happened when we brought Arshavin on. But then you go on to slate Arshavin for not covering well. Also, Fergie made sure he exploited that weakness down Ashavin's side by switching Valencia to rightback and Park on the wing. That is what I call a smart tactical decision and making use of your resources the sort of thing Wenger should be doing. It was a similar story against Fulham. Wenger took off both of our wingers for Yossi and Rosicky and we end up losing even more possession and losing the game by two goals. Both came from wide positions.

I'm not saying Theo should be playing in a 4-3-3 ahead of RVP. But when you analyse clubs around the world and see what it is that makes a good striker/winger or why teams play a certain formation or style, it usually comes down to the sort of players they have to work with.

Özim
27-01-2012, 06:52 PM
Walcott is average, the comparisons with Owen don't stand up, Owen scored a hatful even when he was young (at 19 he was scoring left right and centre)......Walcott will never get lots because his finishing isn't all that.

I'm sick of people defending this guy when he's had chance after chance and almost never delivered anything, if he put his chances away he might get his chance up front, he barely ever does though.

fakeyank
27-01-2012, 06:58 PM
Walcott is average, the comparisons with Owen don't stand up, Owen scored a hatful even when he was young (at 19 he was scoring left right and centre)......Walcott will never get lots because his finishing isn't all that.

I'm sick of people defending this guy when he's had chance after chance and almost never delivered anything, if he put his chances away he might get his chance up front, he barely ever does though.

:gp:

Theo has scored 21 goals for us since he joined in 2006. Thats 136 appearances and 21 goals. At the same time, Dennis Bendtner has played 99 times and scored 22 times. This despite the fact that DB got much lesser chances to play in the first team. I am not trying to say DB is a world beater but if TW14 record pales in comparison to DB then we know that its time for him to be moved on.

Power n Glory
27-01-2012, 07:10 PM

This is getting silly. Why are you comparing the goal stats? Your missing the entire point.

If Houllier had played Owen on the right wing it would have been a waste of talent.

Same applies to players like Defoe, Hernandez, Welbeck....

It's not a comparison of the talent. I'm talking about the type of player he is and the reason why it would make little sense to play small players with no dribbling skills out on the flanks. Owen wasn't playing on the wings when he started at Liverpool and was playing as a striker straight away. This is mismanagement. Just as we've seen when Wenger has played Bendy on the right. I don't care how shit Bendy is, it makes zero sense playing a 6 foot tall slow striker out on the right wing.

Niall_Quinn
27-01-2012, 07:26 PM
With that sort of logic you could argue that Wenger is right to play Djourou as a right back and that we should be comparing him to Sagna in a few years time. You can't simply put in a few hours of training and acquire a new set of skills that rivals someone that has been practicing that skill since childhood.

I read a stat about Owen years some years back when he was on fire. He spend spends less than 10 seconds on the ball after each match. He doesn't dribble with the ball or drop deep and take his man on, he's all about off the ball movement and exploiting space. If he touches the ball it's usually one touch and bang, he's shooting on goal. That's a discipline that has taken years to perfect. You can't push a player like that out on to the flanks and expect him to carry the ball past defenders and provide great crosses if he spends very little time with the ball at his feet. It won't work. Doesn't matter how hard he trains at it.

It's like the Gerrard and Lampard debate and people not understanding why they can't play together in a 4-4-2. You can't just throw players into positions and expect things to work and that example involves two central midfielders. Right now, we're talking about a kid that has been trained as a striker playing on the wings even though he can't dribble, playing in a team that plays the ball to feet, has a very weak midfield with players that are struggling to create chances and no real wingbacks. This team has issues and if we're not going to spend, we should make best of what we have.

You're missing that point and it's a little frustrating. During the Man Utd game, didn't I say that our wing backs need cover from the wide attackers to stop Man Utd exploiting Djourou? You dismissed it during the match thread at HT and said our wingers shouldn't have to cover but saw exactly what happened when we brought Arshavin on. But then you go on to slate Arshavin for not covering well. Also, Fergie made sure he exploited that weakness down Ashavin's side by switching Valencia to rightback and Park on the wing. That is what I call a smart tactical decision and making use of your resources the sort of thing Wenger should be doing. It was a similar story against Fulham. Wenger took off both of our wingers for Yossi and Rosicky and we end up losing even more possession and losing the game by two goals. Both came from wide positions.

I'm not saying Theo should be playing in a 4-3-3 ahead of RVP. But when you analyse clubs around the world and see what it is that makes a good striker/winger or why teams play a certain formation or style, it usually comes down to the sort of players they have to work with.

I agree you can't expect miracles from a kid thrown into a new position and asked to perform. Unfortunately for Walcott he's had years to get his shit together. If you're saying he's a totally one dimensional attacking option that can only play in one position and in one way then definitely get rid, I would have thought. In the modern game aren't defenders delighted when they come up against such limited opponents? Play Walcott in the middle and how many games does he have to play to get the 20 odd goals that would signify an effective striker? 50? 100? The rest of his career? Hard to imagine we have a goal scoring problem right now and Theo Walcott could be the solution.

Anyway, I thought we were talking about comparisons between Ox and Theo? If it's true what you say that Theo would be more effective in the middle, and if it's true that Ox is a destined to play the striking role too, then unfortunately we haven't had a chance to compare either in that roles as yet. So we have to look at what contributions they have made so far, regardless of where they are playing. Both have played wide. One can play in that position and the other clearly can't, no points for guessing which is which. Is it a leap to suggest the same would hold true if they were transferred to the centre, or at least what's the more likely outcome given what we've seen so far? Right now I see Theo not as a future striker but as a potential impediment to Ox's progress given Wenger's tendencies to persist with limited players. I hope Theo goes in the summer. It would be good for him and good for us. I think he'll flop spectacularly wherever he goes though because he won't be as coddled as he is under Wenger and certainly won't be given as many opportunities if he initially fails to deliver.

I don't disagree with you on making the best of what we have, which is why I think Arshavin is potentially better suited to the role you are talking about. He has more intelligence than Theo and a great deal more skill. Of course he has other problems but if he was prepared to commit himself the I think he could play that role whereas I don't see Theo being capable regardless of his levels of commitment or desire. I think we are handicapping ourselves when we start him. Maybe an impact sub would suit him better, but Wenger has spoiled him now by making him think he's an important figure in the team. It would be better for somebody to sit him down and say, you're shit son! Then give him a last chance to prove people wrong.

Niall_Quinn
27-01-2012, 07:33 PM
This is getting silly. Why are you comparing the goal stats? Your missing the entire point.

If Houllier had played Owen on the right wing it would have been a waste of talent.

It's not a comparison of the talent. I'm talking about the type of player he is and the reason why it would make little sense to play small players with no dribbling skills out on the flanks. Owen wasn't playing on the wings when he started at Liverpool and was playing as a striker straight away. This is mismanagement. Just as we've seen when Wenger has played Bendy on the right. I don't care how shit Bendy is, it makes zero sense playing a 6 foot tall slow striker out on the right wing.

We've seen Bendtner when he plays in the centre. Better to have him out of the way on the wing where he can do less damage to his own team. Nick reminds me a lot of Theo. Both have much to say, both deliver very little. They are the opposite of players like Owen and Defoe in their prime. The latter pair delivered where it matters, on the pitch. True enough they would have been much less effective if stuck on the wing, but they wouldn't have become bad footballers as a result. Walcott just lacks too much to be much good anywhere I think. By all means, if we're going to give him a go in the middle then make it this season when there's nothing to lose. But it's not hard to predict the outcome.

The mismanagement lies in the fact we have had players like Nick and Theo on the pitch at all.

Power n Glory
27-01-2012, 07:52 PM
If you think Owen and Defoe would have still become good players as wingers then we can leave the conversation there. :lol:

Niall_Quinn
27-01-2012, 07:55 PM
If you think Owen and Defoe would have still become good players as wingers then we can leave the conversation there. :lol:

I think they were good players full stop. But sure, if you have nothing else to say.

Power n Glory
27-01-2012, 08:00 PM
I think they were good players full stop. But sure, if you have nothing else to say.And Dennis Bergkamp would have made an excellent defensive midfielder! Wright should have been great on the right! :lol:

Niall_Quinn
27-01-2012, 08:04 PM
And Dennis Bergkamp would have made an excellent defensive midfielder! Wright should have been great on the right! :lol:

Being silly now, aren't you? The trouble with Ox is he blows all of Theo's excuses out of the water. There's a big difference between a gifted footballer and Theo Walcott. And frankly, a club as big as Arsenal shouldn't be pissing around with a player that had some potential but failed to deliver on it. Happens sometimes and when it does you move on to the next prospect. In this case that's Ox. A kid who may well play in the middle one day but right now seems to be doing just fine on the wing. That's because he has ability, regardless of where he's playing. That ability will carry him through to great things we hope. Theo's lack of general footballing ability has carried him as far as he's going to go, unless there's some sudden improvement that's so far failed to materialise in the many chances he's had to show he's worthy of greater responsibility.

Power n Glory
27-01-2012, 08:11 PM
Being silly now, aren't you? The trouble with Ox is he blows all of Theo's excuses out of the water. There's a big difference between a gifted footballer and Theo Walcott. And frankly, a club as big as Arsenal shouldn't be pissing around with a player that had some potential but failed to deliver on it. Happens sometimes and when it does you move on to the next prospect. In this case that's Ox. A kid who may well play in the middle one day but right now seems to be doing just fine on the wing. That's because he has ability, regardless of where he's playing. That ability will carry him through to great things we hope. Theo's lack of general footballing ability has carried him as far as he's going to go, unless there's some sudden improvement that's so far failed to materialise in the many chances he's had to show he's worthy of greater responsibility.

Rubbish, play Ox as a wingback and he'd get exposed big time because he has no defensive ability and shouldn't be playing there in the first place. To continue playing him there for years when showing no signs of inprovement is poor management.

Your talking as is talent trumps everything and doesn't matter where you play but sorry it does in football. Why is the example of Bergkamp and Wright silly? Tell me.

Olivier's xmas twist
27-01-2012, 08:17 PM
Rubbish, play Ox as a wingback and he'd get exposed big time because he has no defensive ability and shouldn't be playing there in the first place. To continue playing him there for years when showing no signs of inprovement is poor management.

Your talking as is talent trumps everything and doesn't matter where you play but sorry it does in football. Why is the example of Bergkamp and Wright silly? Tell me.

Hence why wenger told him to work on it Ox has to worl on a few things for sure but in 6 years time he will be what theo should be now and better. Theo could go to barca and he still be as poor as he is now, face it mate he is just not that good enough as we all though he be.

Niall_Quinn
27-01-2012, 08:21 PM

No, talent doesn't trump everything. Lack of talent will kill things pretty fast though (except at Arsenal). Bergkamp and Wright could control a ball, pass a ball, they had footballing brains. They played in positions where they could put that talent to best use. Walcott hasn't showed any signs of developing as a player. He lacks basic skills. You are trying to excuse these inadequacies and suggest they wouldn't be as big a factor if we moved him into a more crucial area. I'm saying why bother doing that when we already have a better player? The thread is titled Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain v Theo Walcott. The answer is self-evident.

Niall_Quinn
27-01-2012, 08:24 PM
Hence why wenger told him to work on it Ox has to worl on a few things for sure but in 6 years time he will be what theo should be now and better. Theo could go to barca and he still be as poor as he is now, face it mate he is just not that good enough as you though he be.

As any of us thought he'd be. The guy has had opportunity after opportunity laid on a plate and failed to take them. I doubt there's a person here who wouldn't want to see what we thought we were going to see from Theo. But that aside, what we're actually seeing from him is way too little to suggest the early hopes are going to pan out. Now he wants a pay rise for failure. Time to open the door for him.

Power n Glory
27-01-2012, 08:29 PM
No, talent doesn't trump everything. Lack of talent will kill things pretty fast though (except at Arsenal). Bergkamp and Wright could control a ball, pass a ball, they had footballing brains. They played in positions where they could put that talent to best use. Walcott hasn't showed any signs of developing as a player. He lacks basic skills. You are trying to excuse these inadequacies and suggest they wouldn't be as big a factor if we moved him into a more crucial area. I'm saying why bother doing that when we already have a better player? The thread is titled Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain v Theo Walcott. The answer is self-evident.

Key point - they playe in positions where their skills could be best put to use. Okay, they could control a ball, pass, intelligent. Does that make a good winger? Is that all you need?

Why can't Cesc play as a winger? That's all you need right?

Olivier's xmas twist
27-01-2012, 08:31 PM
As any of us thought he'd be. The guy has had opportunity after opportunity laid on a plate and failed to take them. I doubt there's a person here who wouldn't want to see what we thought we were going to see from Theo. But that aside, what we're actually seeing from him is way too little to suggest the early hopes are going to pan out. Now he wants a pay rise for failure. Time to open the door for him.

too right fella. People can moan all they like about his is not being played in the right posistion etc. When you give him a chance in the centre he don't take it. When he never went to the WC in 2010 he said he work hard to make sure he goes next time, well he won't be at this rate. Lets hope henry can teach him a thing or 2

Power n Glory
27-01-2012, 08:33 PM
Hence why wenger told him to work on it Ox has to worl on a few things for sure but in 6 years time he will be what theo should be now and better. Theo could go to barca and he still be as poor as he is now, face it mate he is just not that good enough as we all though he be.

This is hypothetical. If Ox was played as a right back, would he be any good at it and would it make sense training and playing him in that position when he's so poor in that position and has other skills which would best suit another position?

Niall_Quinn
27-01-2012, 08:40 PM
Key point - they playe in positions where their skills could be best put to use. Okay, they could control a ball, pass, intelligent. Does that make a good winger? Is that all you need?

Why can't Cesc play as a winger? That's all you need right?

You keep mentioning players that have at least basic footballing skills. They wouldn't do their best jobs played out of position but they could still contribute. Still hold a ball. Still lay a pass. Still cross a ball. Still beat a man. We just wouldn't be using them to their best effect. With Theo it's very different. He lacks certain basic skills. Why is he going to prosper in a more demanding role? Pace alone? If talent is not the key attribute then why should it be merely pace? Why not just play somebody better than him and be done with it? Two different arguments going ion here. You're saying Theo would be better played elsewhere, I'm saying he's already inferior to Ox so why not ditch him and play Ox? Wing or in the middle, makes no odds. Ox is the better player. All you have to do is watch him play for 5 minutes.

Power n Glory
27-01-2012, 09:02 PM
You keep mentioning players that have at least basic footballing skills. They wouldn't do their best jobs played out of position but they could still contribute. Still hold a ball. Still lay a pass. Still cross a ball. Still beat a man. We just wouldn't be using them to their best effect. With Theo it's very different. He lacks certain basic skills. Why is he going to prosper in a more demanding role? Pace alone? If talent is not the key attribute then why should it be merely pace? Why not just play somebody better than him and be done with it? Two different arguments going ion here. You're saying Theo would be better played elsewhere, I'm saying he's already inferior to Ox so why not ditch him and play Ox? Wing or in the middle, makes no odds. Ox is the better player. All you have to do is watch him play for 5 minutes.

That's a joke. You think Dennis Bergkamp could contribute a lot as a defensive midfielder or on the flanks with his slow pace? Wrong footing your man and get a yard of space is different to beating your man on the wing and having the legs to get past him then whip in a great cross. It takes more than the basics to be a top four side I'm afraid.

Ox is a special player and has better ball control, passing and dribbling compared to Theo. That is why he's more suited to playing on the wing. But if Wenger had that kid playing as wingback or playing as a defensive midfielder....it would be silly to compare him to someone like Coquelin or Sagna.

Some players are versatile, some ain't. Van Nistelrooy had no flair about him as a striker and play him anywhere else outside of that role and he'd look shit. But what he does, he does well. Not saying Theo can finish anywhere near that level, but if his pace is his best asset, have him playing as a striker in the mold of Defoe, Owen, Welbeck etc. I'd argue the same point if Wenger kept playing Vela on the left wing.

How comes other managers are able to exploit such players but Wenger can't?

On another note, Bergkamp was saying RVP was being played out of position and I agree. He's more than a goal scorer and in games where we struggle and playing off another striker, he'd some damage. He'd create loads and score loads.

Niall_Quinn
27-01-2012, 09:25 PM
That's a joke. You think Dennis Bergkamp could contribute a lot as a defensive midfielder or on the flanks with his slow pace? Wrong footing your man and get a yard of space is different to beating your man on the wing and having the legs to get past him then whip in a great cross. It takes more than the basics to be a top four side I'm afraid.

Ox is a special player and has better ball control, passing and dribbling compared to Theo. That is why he's more suited to playing on the wing. But if Wenger had that kid playing as wingback or playing as a defensive midfielder....it would be silly to compare him to someone like Coquelin or Sagna.

Some players are versatile, some ain't. Van Nistelrooy had no flair about him as a striker and play him anywhere else outside of that role and he'd look shit. But what he does, he does well. Not saying Theo can finish anywhere near that level, but if his pace is his best asset, have him playing as a striker in the mold of Defoe, Owen, Welbeck etc. I'd argue the same point if Wenger kept playing Vela on the left wing.

How comes other managers are able to exploit such players but Wenger can't?

On another note, Bergkamp was saying RVP was being played out of position and I agree. He's more than a goal scorer and in games where we struggle and playing off another striker, he'd some damage. He'd create loads and score loads.

Play me in goal then, I'd be shit no matter where I played but I'd be least shit in goal. Or just get a better player than me and save yourself a lot of grief. If you're suggesting we have a hidden Defoe or Wright just waiting to be unleashed then I get where you are coming from. I used to (sort of) think the same. But a couple of seasons on, forget it. Capello couldn't get anything out of Walcott either and now he's talking about bringing Ox in. If that happens then Walcott's England career is over before it really started. And that's a shame but the guy had his chance and couldn't take it. You say give him another chance, change the whole team around for Theo. Why? Because he has pace? Ox has pace too, let's just move on with him because it very much appears there's plenty to be gained from that route. Whereas with Theo, not as much.

It takes more than the basics to be a top four side I'm afraid.

That's right, it does.

Power n Glory
27-01-2012, 10:04 PM
Play me in goal then, I'd be shit no matter where I played but I'd be least shit in goal. Or just get a better player than me and save yourself a lot of grief. If you're suggesting we have a hidden Defoe or Wright just waiting to be unleashed then I get where you are coming from. I used to (sort of) think the same. But a couple of seasons on, forget it. Capello couldn't get anything out of Walcott either and now he's talking about bringing Ox in. If that happens then Walcott's England career is over before it really started. And that's a shame but the guy had his chance and couldn't take it. You say give him another chance, change the whole team around for Theo. Why? Because he has pace? Ox has pace too, let's just move on with him because it very much appears there's plenty to be gained from that route. Whereas with Theo, not as much.

That's right, it does.

Theo has never had a real chance of playing up front. The last game I remember was against Birmingham when Eduardo broke his leg, I think. He scored two goals in that game but it was forgotten, obviously.

I've got issues with the 4-3-3 we play in general. Playing a different system would benefit a few our players not just Theo. We have a three man midfield that can't dominate possession against a weak 2 man midfield Man U team and struggled badly against Fulham and Swansea. Song has more assists than Ramsey and Arteta. One of those players should be making way if they're not doing what the formation is meant for.

No point in mentioning Capello. He adds no weight to the conversation after his tatical shambles at the World Cup. But if I was Theo, I'd leave this club and not sign a new contract. If we're saying he hasn't developed in 6 years, that's not his fault because it has nothing to do with effort. Most playere would have outright refused to play out of position for so long and sulked after the amount of criticism.

I trust Wright's assessment in him. He should be playing up front as a striker but Wenger has never been good at coaching out and out strikers and is obsessed with adding more to Theo's game and he hasn't got it. Who has Wenger successfully developed recently by playing them out of position?

Theo should walk away or he's going to mess his career up.

Niall_Quinn
27-01-2012, 10:20 PM
If we're saying he hasn't developed in 6 years, that's not his fault because it has nothing to do with effort. Most playere would have outright refused to play out of position for so long and sulked after the amount of criticism.

That's a pretty outrageous point of view. It certainly is Theo's fault if he hasn't improved in 6 years. To try and blame Wenger for that is giving the player a free pass. Why won't you consider footballing ability in your analysis? Theo's a prospect who hasn't come good, that's it really. He's had his career laid out on a plate for him so far. If he can't take advantage of what has been handed to him then why is it anyone's fault except his? So what if he can't dribble or beat a man (still a problem for a player his size even if he plays in the middle), why can't he pick a pass after 6 years? Why can't he cross a ball even when unchallenged after 6 years? Why can't he make intelligent runs after 6 years? But more importantly why should we carry him for another period of time so he can adjust to a new role, which chances are he'll be just as infective at? I agree, Theo should go. Not because he has been somehow sleighed or short-changed but because he's failed. You can say forget about Cappello, but notice the pattern here. It's everyone's fault except Theo's. Don't buy that.

Niall_Quinn
27-01-2012, 10:22 PM
Anyway, fuck it, I enjoy arguing with you but we're not going to agree about Theo are we? And Wenger's not going to play him through the middle or he'd have done it by now.

Xhaka Can’t
27-01-2012, 10:26 PM

I see exactly what you are saying. We can talk about the relative merits of the players but need to appreciate how they are being used. Wenger is not having players play to their strengths and is making them play in roles that are unsuitable for them. Consequently we take it out on the players, who may be shit in whatever role they play, but at the very least, they should be given the opportunity to play to their strengths before being damned.

That said, I still think Theo is crap, but many here have suggested that he would have developed into a better player somewhere else. And that is probably true.

Power n Glory
27-01-2012, 10:46 PM
That's a pretty outrageous point of view. It certainly is Theo's fault if he hasn't improved in 6 years. To try and blame Wenger for that is giving the player a free pass. Why won't you consider footballing ability in your analysis? Theo's a prospect who hasn't come good, that's it really. He's had his career laid out on a plate for him so far. If he can't take advantage of what has been handed to him then why is it anyone's fault except his? So what if he can't dribble or beat a man (still a problem for a player his size even if he plays in the middle), why can't he pick a pass after 6 years? Why can't he cross a ball even when unchallenged after 6 years? Why can't he make intelligent runs after 6 years? But more importantly why should we carry him for another period of time so he can adjust to a new role, which chances are he'll be just as infective at? I agree, Theo should go. Not because he has been somehow sleighed or short-changed but because he's failed. You can say forget about Cappello, but notice the pattern here. It's everyone's fault except Theo's. Don't buy that.

When you take a kid on at that age it's the managers duty to school him properly. He's been sitting under Wenger for a long time and if your saying he can't do the basics...that's a bad teacher. It's not as if Theo isn't willing to learn or skipping class. Also, when you look at Wenger's success rate with young players....it's not pretty. We've been going at it with this youth project for years now and we haven't produced much. We have a whole generation of youth players that were touted as hot prospects and never made it under Wenger. Walcott is actually one of the better ones.

A load of playere go out on loan and never come back. This youth project has been a failure. If Wenger gets the credit for producing good players, he also gets the blame for the bad ones. We're not talking about some Pennant type of player either. This kid is happy and willing to learn. And I hate to say it, under Harry, he might have been a better player. He looked dangerous at Southampton.

Niall_Quinn
27-01-2012, 11:15 PM
When you take a kid on at that age it's the managers duty to school him properly. He's been sitting under Wenger for a long time and if your saying he can't do the basics...that's a bad teacher. It's not as if Theo isn't willing to learn or skipping class. Also, when you look at Wenger's success rate with young players....it's not pretty. We've been going at it with this youth project for years now and we haven't produced much. We have a whole generation of youth players that were touted as hot prospects and never made it under Wenger. Walcott is actually one of the better ones.

A load of playere go out on loan and never come back. This youth project has been a failure. If Wenger gets the credit for producing good players, he also gets the blame for the bad ones. We're not talking about some Pennant type of player either. This kid is happy and willing to learn. And I hate to say it, under Harry, he might have been a better player. He looked dangerous at Southampton.

Well the thread is comparing Ox to Theo. I guess if Ox steadily goes backwards and turns out to be a waste of space in 6 years we can test your theory. Meanwhile, for whatever reasons, Theo has taken 6 years to be half as good as Ox already is. So Theo vs Ox. No contest really. Sell the former, play the latter, problems solved.

Özim
28-01-2012, 10:55 AM
I'm amazed people still defend Walcott, he's had so long to prove himself the problem isn't just where he's been played it's his lack of talent...basically as I've been saying for years he's just a guy with pace and nothing else, a sprinter.

His finishing is very hit and miss as has been highlighted many times, he's like Forest Gump once he sets off he keeps going but there's absolutely no intelligence in anything he does.

If we sold him he wouldn't amount to anything because frankly he's not good enough, the excuse about playing him out of position doesn't cut it because you need more than pace up front to play there, you have to time your runs and have the ability to finish....he just outpaces players. Signing him was a massive mistake by Wenger, sticking with him even more so, he's not really a striker whatever might be said about him because he offers very little other than pace....and we could do a lot better than having such a one dimensional player. It's high time we stopped putting up with Wenger's flop signings, no other manager would get this much leeway with such poor quality signings.

Conclusion: A flop of the highest order, cut your losses and get rid

Xhaka Can’t
28-01-2012, 12:01 PM
Hey Zim, I'm not defending Walcott at all. But am acknowledging what PnG is saying in respect of where Wenger deploys him. If Wenger played him in a way which made use of his relative strengths, we'd perhaps get more out of him - it certainly couldn't be any worse.

Özim
28-01-2012, 12:35 PM
Hey Zim, I'm not defending Walcott at all. But am acknowledging what PnG is saying in respect of where Wenger deploys him. If Wenger played him in a way which made use of his relative strengths, we'd perhaps get more out of him - it certainly couldn't be any worse.
I don't disagree, but the underlying problem is his lack of ability, it's disappointing that we're not at a level where players like Walcott are all we have to hope for.

gunsofashburtongrove
28-01-2012, 12:44 PM
Denilson vs Diaby, Vela v/s Walcot, and now Walcot v/s Ox. Walcot the tradition continues. Ox is an exciting player who has shown talent and ability. He has not played nearly as regularly as Walcot and not expected to and consequently don't have the same pressure to perform. Walcot is a first team regular and contributes better defensively. I'am happy to have both in the team. Walcot is not nearly as bad as people say he is and is better with a regular fullback playing alongside him.

Cripps_orig
28-01-2012, 12:45 PM
Denilson vs Diaby, Vela v/s Walcot, and now Walcot v/s Ox. Walcot the tradition continues. Ox is an exciting player who has shown talent and ability. He has not played nearly as regularly as Walcot and not expected to and consequently don't have the same pressure to perform. Walcot is a first team regular and contributes better defensively. I'am happy to have both in the team. Walcot is not nearly as bad as people say he is and is better with a regular fullback playing alongside him.Best post on here

Other than my own of course

Özim
28-01-2012, 01:14 PM
Denilson vs Diaby, Vela v/s Walcot, and now Walcot v/s Ox. Walcot the tradition continues. Ox is an exciting player who has shown talent and ability. He has not played nearly as regularly as Walcot and not expected to and consequently don't have the same pressure to perform. Walcot is a first team regular and contributes better defensively. I'am happy to have both in the team. Walcot is not nearly as bad as people say he is and is better with a regular fullback playing alongside him.
So he does some defensive work, so what....isn't he suppose to be an attacking player?

If he can't deliver going forward which form the evidence of 6 years he can't, why should we put up with it, if we're ever going to improve we need better players than him, it's players like him and a number of others that explains why we are where we are, overpaid players who add very little to the team.

Olivier's xmas twist
28-01-2012, 01:19 PM

I get your point but id rather vela be given a run of games in the middle see if he can do any better with a run of games under his belt. If we don't sign anyone we can't do no worse with him and Bendtner back at the club tbh.

Özim
28-01-2012, 01:23 PM
I get your point but id rather vela be given a run of games in the middle see if he can do any better with a run of games under his belt. If we don't sign anyone we can't do no worse with him and Bendtner back at the club tbh.
Yeah I'd rather Vela as well, he may not have been that good for us but at least he seems to have some talent and skill.

I don't get why we don't recall considering the rubbish options we have at the moment, send Chamakh on loan FFS he's sh*t and couldn't hit the back of the net if his life depended on it.

Olivier's xmas twist
28-01-2012, 01:27 PM
Yeah I'd rather Vela as well, he may not have been that good for us but at least he seems to have some talent and skill.

I don't get why we don't recall considering the rubbish options we have at the moment, send Wenger on loan FFS he's sh*t and couldn't hit the back of the net if his life depended on it.

gunsofashburtongrove
28-01-2012, 01:42 PM
So he does some defensive work, so what....isn't he suppose to be an attacking player?

If he can't deliver going forward which form the evidence of 6 years he can't, why should we put up with it, if we're ever going to improve we need better players than him, it's players like him and a number of others that explains why we are where we are, overpaid players who add very little to the team.
He does his defensive work, so he fits in well with the game that we play and doesn't expose the fullbacks, also his attacking game is much better in tandem with the regular fullbacks. Over the years he has had some really good games and had some really clue less performances too. Ox may eventually prove to be a better player than Theo, but i'd rather rely on
someone who at the moment has had more games under his belt and has been exposed to pressure, and even one bad days dont become a defensive liability and ease Ox in gradually

gunsofashburtongrove
28-01-2012, 01:53 PM
I think its fair to say that both Vela and Bendtner both need games at this stage in their career, they could play as up front or on the wings. Don't think either could fit into these roles. Vela did look good and talented, however as i see it the application was missing. Bendtners first touch meant that the opposition didn't need a defensive midfielder, either ways I'am happier with Ox on the bench than those 2

Power n Glory
28-01-2012, 06:20 PM

Özim
29-01-2012, 12:34 PM
Arsene Wenger believes Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain's rapid development may put him in the frame for a starring role with England at Euro 2012.

A series of impressive displays have made the 18-year-old an instant favourite with the Arsenal fans.

Gunners boss Wenger sees no reason why the winger cannot put himself into contention for Fabio Capello's squad in Poland and Ukraine this summer.

"You cannot rule it out - we will see in the next three months," said Wenger.

"If he does well, why not? It is not because you are young that you cannot play. We live in a world of immediacy.

"I would not have expected him to be so mature in September because he still looked like a boy.

"Now suddenly he looks like he can take pressure and that he has the personality to produce under pressure."

Oxlade-Chamberlain underlined his growing stature with a textbook display of pacy wing play in last Sunday's 2-1 defeat to Manchester United, leading to frustration in the crowd when he was replaced by Andrey Arshavin.

Meanwhile, Wenger admitted that, despite his love for the FA Cup, the Premier League remains his primary focus.

The Gunners host Aston Villa in the fourth round on Sunday on the back of three successive league defeats.

The Frenchman has always prioritised the league, despite four FA Cup successes in his 15 years with the club.

"I love the FA Cup, and I will always fight to win it, but I have always told you exactly the same - the priority is to be in the top four," he said.

"I won it [the Cup] four times and lost one final, and I don't know how many semi-finals. I always try to win every single competition.

"If you look at my record you will see the FA Cup is important for me. I think our record is better than all of them over the past 15 years."

Arsenal's most recent trophy was the FA Cup seven years ago, but Wenger insists he would not take Wembley glory in May ahead of another campaign in the Champions League next year.

"In recent years, I felt that we produced always the consistency at the top, top level and it is not enough for some people maybe, but for me that is the brand of a top level club - consistency in the top four," he added.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/16776369.stm

Wenger doing the same thing to Oxo he did to Walcott, albeit Oxo has actually played a bit this time.....but he just just shut the f*ck up and let him get on with it (and play) rather than saying stuff like this.

As for trying to win the FA Cup, that's laughable he doesn't always try, he's oftened played weakened line-ups and of course omitted Arshavin when in top form one year.

Of course the PL is always the priority for him, top 4 means everything and he's doing a great job of even screwing that up this year, can't wait for him to leave so we can stop hearing this sh*t.

Xhaka Can’t
29-01-2012, 12:54 PM

Wenger doing the same thing to Oxo he did to Walcott, albeit Oxo has actually played a bit this time.....but he just just shut the f*ck up and let him get on with it (and play) rather than saying stuff like this.

As for trying to win the FA Cup, that's laughable he doesn't always try, he's oftened played weakened line-ups and of course omitted Arshavin when in top form one year.

Of course the PL is always the priority for him, top 4 means everything and he's doing a great job of even screwing that up this year, can't wait for him to leave so we can stop hearing this sh*t.

He said nothing wrong about Ox. Nothing at all. You have to remember that these quotes do not include the questions asked. He'll have been asked about Ox and he gave a reasonable and measured answer.

As a fan however, I'd rather the priority be given to the FA Cup. I couldn't give a shit about 4th place.

Niall_Quinn
29-01-2012, 01:00 PM
I just want our board to leave and never come back. Don't care about the cups, the league, none of it matters while these bastards are sucking the club dry. We won't be able to keep players like Ox anyway with these horrendous cunts at the helm. They'll sell him quicker than they get a hard-on from glimpsing a pretty rent boy or a price reduction sticker on a yacht.

Olivier's xmas twist
29-01-2012, 01:03 PM

He said nothing wrong about ox, was asked a question and answered it, should he have said feck him he is shit he won't go On the top 4 thing he needs to stfu with that.

Özim
29-01-2012, 01:10 PM
He said nothing wrong about ox, was asked a question and answered it, should he have said feck him he is shit he won't go On the top 4 thing he needs to stfu with that.
He should have said, he's done very well but he's not in charge of the England team and it's not down to him, if Capello thinks he's doing well then he'll pick him.

Globalgunner
29-01-2012, 01:19 PM
He should have said, he's done very well but he's not in charge of the England team and it's not down to him, if Capello thinks he's doing well then he'll pick him.

Exactly. You wuld think that after all these years (30 yrs and 50,000 subs: LOL) he would not get giddy anytime someone sticks a microphone in front of his face. He reularly spouts so much rubbish its hard to take anything he says seriously these days.

Power n Glory
29-01-2012, 01:22 PM

I agree, he could have kept it brief even if he was asked a question.

He has a bit of an ego. Had to try and take credit for his development by talking up his 'maturity'. I think that's rubbish to be honest. The kid played against Man Utd when he was at Southampton and handled the pressure even though all eyes were on him and when i first saw him play in the Carling Cup you could tell he was the real deal. The crowd came out buzzing about the kid as soon as he played his first full game for us. He also scored in the a champs league and while on under 21 England duty. He was ready to play months ago but Wenger sidelined him.

Olivier's xmas twist
29-01-2012, 01:39 PM

don't see nout wrong with bigging up his player tbh. You have a point though.

Özim
29-01-2012, 01:43 PM
don't see nout wrong with bigging up his player tbh. You have a point though.
I see 2 things wrong with it:
1) He can make them believe they are better than they are (we've seen many examples of this over the years)
2) It puts unecessary pressure on a player, especially a young one

Xhaka Can’t
29-01-2012, 01:45 PM
1) He can make them believe they are better than they are (we've seen many examples of this over the years)

Nothing said in the quotes puts unnecessary pressure on Ox.

The question is being asked because of the performance displayed. If Ox had not stood out and shown the potential to be an international, Wenger wouldn't have had a question to answer.

Olivier's xmas twist
29-01-2012, 01:47 PM

I doubt Ox will be out under pressure by what was said not at all. and i don't think he belives he is better then he is. maybe better then walcott though lol

Niall_Quinn
29-01-2012, 01:49 PM

And the third and most important reason, the re-sale value. We already know if the kid delivers on early promises he's not going to be an Arsenal player for very long.

Olivier's xmas twist
29-01-2012, 01:52 PM
And the third and most important reason, the re-sale value. We already know if the kid delivers on early promises he's not going to be an Arsenal player for very long.

Its ok he'll be injured for the next 2 seasons then no one will want him

Olivier's xmas twist
29-01-2012, 04:59 PM
Theo has put an end to this debate today.

Niall_Quinn
29-01-2012, 05:01 PM

And last week, and the week before that, and the last half decade really. Pointless player.

GP
29-01-2012, 05:18 PM

Indeed. Great goal.

Theo :bow:

Niall_Quinn
29-01-2012, 05:20 PM
Indeed. Great goal.

Theo :bow:

Theo at his best, I'm afraid.

tigerthesmurf85
29-01-2012, 05:58 PM
Thought both were very good tonight, mainly in the second half.

Aida
29-01-2012, 05:58 PM
shame he cant score when he wants to lol

Olivier's xmas twist
30-01-2012, 12:54 PM
Theo Walcott: I know my displays haven't been good enough
Theo Walcott accepts he has been below par in recent weeks but insists there's no bigger critic of his performances than himself.
The Arsenal forward, who looked to be rediscovering his form in his side's dramatic 3-2 FA Cup fourth-round victory over Aston Villa yesterday, has been a target for frustrated fans.
He said: "I don't pay any attention to it. I just want to play my game and show people what I can do. I am the best judge of my performance, not anyone else.
"I wasn't happy with my last few games but, hopefully, now I can try to get back to a level I should be at. Everyone should realise I am a good judge of my character."
Walcott, whose goal was sandwiched by two Robin van Persie penalties as Arsenal recovered from 2-0 down at half-time, is desperate to win his first trophy.
The Gunners travel to either Sunderland or Middlesbrough on February 18 or 19 in the next round and the 22-year-old said: "I'd like to look back on my career at the trophies I have won. There are none yet.
"This is a competition that we can win. A couple of big teams have gone out and, if we can come from 2-0 down, hopefully we can beat anybody now."
Walcott revealed a half-time speech from captain Van Persie helped transform the mood in Arsenal's dressing room. "He's the captain and showed again how much he believes in this team and how much he wants to win this competition," said Walcott.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard-sport/football/article-24032068-their-walcott-i-know-my-displays-havent-been-good-enough.do

Cripps_orig
30-01-2012, 12:57 PM
THEO THEO THEO

Was great yesterday

Hope it continues

Also i see RVP gave the half time team talk

Wenger :wave:

Coney
30-01-2012, 01:14 PM
Walcott revealed a half-time speech from captain Van Persie helped transform the mood in Arsenal's dressing room. "He's the captain and showed again how much he believes in this team and how much he wants to win this competition," said Walcott.

RvP is the first proper captain we have had for some time - probably since Adams. All the others who have been made captain since Adams have not struck me as leader types. Henry and Gallas I don't think I would have ever considered making them captain. Cesc was promising but I think he was not hard enough to make the players follow. RvP does seem more of a tough player. When he goes to Barca If he leaves, I think Verm is the next natural captain with perhaps Wilshere as vice.

(btw who is vice atm? :unsure: )

GP
30-01-2012, 01:19 PM
RvP is the first proper captain we have had for some time - probably since Adams. All the others who have been made captain since Adams have not struck me as leader types. Henry and Gallas I don't think I would have ever considered making them captain. Cesc was promising but I think he was not hard enough to make the players follow. RvP does seem more of a tough player. When he goes to Barca If he leaves, I think Verm is the next natural captain with perhaps Wilshere as vice.

Verm is vice.

Coney
30-01-2012, 01:20 PM

Verm is vice.

Ah! good choice then. ;)

Niall_Quinn
30-01-2012, 01:21 PM

Sagna I think.

Good for Theo that he at least acknowledges how poor he has been. That just leaves Ach on planet earth thinking he's been playing well (not even Theo agrees with him :haha: ) First step to fixing a problem is admitting you have one so hopefully Theo is ready to turn a corner.

Whatever RvP decides, he's given his all to Arsenal this season and hopefully everyone is going to respect him for that. Fantastic player from the old school.

Niall_Quinn
30-01-2012, 01:21 PM
Verm is vice.

Really? That's a bit tough on Sagna.

Fist of Lehmann
30-01-2012, 01:22 PM
(btw who is vice atm? :unsure: )Tommy V.

Also, great run and clinical elbowed finish by Walcott yesterday, obviously been taking lessons from Titi.

Coney
30-01-2012, 01:23 PM
First step to fixing a problem is admitting you have one so hopefully Ach is ready to turn a corner.

Olivier's xmas twist
30-01-2012, 01:28 PM

Verm is

Cripps_orig
30-01-2012, 01:35 PM

(btw who is vice atm? :unsure: )Vieira?

Özim
30-01-2012, 01:49 PM
Vieira?
Vieira was a great captain.

Letters
30-01-2012, 01:51 PM
THEO THEO THEO

Was great yesterday

Aye, the way he finished off his backside without knowing a thing about it was fantastic.

Cripps_orig
30-01-2012, 01:55 PM
Aye, the way he finished off his backside without knowing a thing about it was fantastic.His goal was lucky but how he got in to that position wasnt.

His overall game was very good yesterday. Took on players, decent crosses as well and just scared the shit out of Villa whenever he had the ball.

I know hes not one of your favourites and thus will get no credit so lets end this now

bignev
30-01-2012, 02:15 PM
His goal was lucky but how he got in to that position wasnt.

His overall game was very good yesterday. Took on players, decent crosses as well and just scared the shit out of Villa whenever he had the ball.

I know hes not one of your favourites and thus will get no credit so lets end this now

He shouldn't have been in that position. He should have passed it to Ramsey (I think) who was unmarked in the area. Instead he tried to score from some ridiculous angle and got lucky when it bounced off of him.

I didn't see any decent crosses. I did see a lot of crap ones from Walcott though. The only thing he does that scares opponents is run fast, luckily for them even if he gets past them he'll end up kicking the ball off the pitch anyway.

The Ox showed him up again yesterday. I'm hoping that when Gervinho comes back we put him and Oxo on the wings and put Theo on the bench.

Better still find someone stupid enough to buy Theo and pay his insane wage demands (90k is he having a laugh?) and spend the money on someone decent.

Cripps_orig
30-01-2012, 02:22 PM
He shouldn't have been in that position. He should have passed it to Ramsey (I think) who was unmarked in the area. Instead he tried to score from some ridiculous angle and got lucky when it bounced off of him.

I didn't see any decent crosses. I did see a lot of crap ones from Walcott though. The only thing he does that scares opponents is run fast, luckily for them even if he gets past them he'll end up kicking the ball off the pitch anyway.

The Ox showed him up again yesterday. I'm hoping that when Gervinho comes back we put him and Oxo on the wings and put Theo on the bench.

Better still find someone stupid enough to buy Theo and pay his insane wage demands (90k is he having a laugh?) and spend the money on someone decent.

:lol:

Only on GW

Match goers and real fans appreciated Theos performance yesterday which was very good and hoping for more of the same.

Ox had a decent game yesterday but better than Theo? :lol:

Behave

Letters
30-01-2012, 02:31 PM
His goal was lucky but how he got in to that position wasnt.

True, it was a good run but a typically awful final ball which he then got lucky with.

Tbh I only saw the highlights so I can't judge his performance overall. Others have said he didn't do that well and your opinion has no credibility as you ceaselessly praise him no matter how he plays. I see he's admitted himself his performances haven't been up to scratch. Personally I'm not sure his ability is up to scratch but I'd love to be proved wrong.

Cripps_orig
30-01-2012, 02:41 PM
True, it was a good run but a typically awful final ball which he then got lucky with.

Tbh I only saw the highlights so I can't judge his performance overall. Others have said he didn't do that well and your opinion has no credibility as you ceaselessly praise him no matter how he plays. I see he's admitted himself his performances haven't been up to scratch. Personally I'm not sure his ability is up to scratch but I'd love to be proved wrong.Yet you believe the posters who constantly critisise him no matter what? Ive said hes not played well recently but ive also said hes not a bad player just cos hes off form as many on here seem to think. Had a good season last season where he scored and assisted a few and had a decent start to this season. Hit a bad patch and all of a sudden hes awful? Only on GW :lol:

Özim
30-01-2012, 02:46 PM
He's been with us since 2006, that's a hell of a long time to prove that you're good enough and in reality to date how much has he really done to show he's a top player?

How long do you give a player to show he's a real asset to the team and that he's top quality?

Cripps_orig
30-01-2012, 02:49 PM
He's been with us since 2006, that's a hell of a long time to prove that you're good enough and in reality to date how much has he really done to show he's a top player?

How long do you give a player to show he's a real asset to the team and that he's top quality?Hes been hit by injury tbh which has hindered him. Keep him fit and he'll score and assist as we saw last season

Theo isnt a problem in this squad. Has his head screwed on right. Glad we have him and AOC in the same team. First teamers for sure now.

Letters
30-01-2012, 02:52 PM
Yet you believe the posters who constantly critisise him no matter what?

I believe the people whose opinions I value. You are not one of them. You would be if I thought you actually said what you think because I generally think you know your football but instead you choose to WUM and point score and it renders your potentially sensible views meaningless.

Fats
30-01-2012, 02:58 PM
Theo is too inconsistent.

On his day fantastic

Usually flatters to decieve.

One good game in 10 smacks of laziness and a poor attitude.

fakeyank
30-01-2012, 03:01 PM
Theo didnt have a terrible game yesterday. By his standards, he had a great game. If you want to compare his game to a winger who has got ample opportunities at a top four team, his performance was dismal. Depends on how you judge him.. If we want to be a mid table team, then Theo is a good player for us. If you want to be in the top four or challenge for the title, he should be on the bench for Carling Cup matches (at best).

GP
30-01-2012, 03:05 PM
Theo is too inconsistent.

On his day fantastic

Usually flatters to decieve.

One good game in 10 smacks of laziness and a poor attitude.

I don't think it's fair to call him lazy. He always tries hard, he's just not very good.

LDG
30-01-2012, 03:08 PM
He's like the Incredible Hulk. If you get him angry or get his adrenaline going, he's pretty awesome. Especially finishing.

Trouble is, he has too many woman hormones. And is a bit gay most of the time.

Marc Overmars
30-01-2012, 03:11 PM
The problem with Theo is that he's not a GHEL.

Syn
30-01-2012, 03:16 PM
He's like the Incredible Hulk. If you get him angry or get his adrenaline going, he's pretty awesome. Especially finishing.

Trouble is, he has too many woman hormones. And is a bit gay most of the time.

Best summary of Walcott here.

I could fix him. And here's how:

1) Tell him he's really shit. He might resist at first and argue otherwise but if you insist enough, he'll cave in because he doesn't like confrontation.
2) Tell him - even though he's shit - he can do 2 things: Run very fast and finish...and so he can carve out a decent career as a fraud by kicking the ball behind the opponent, chasing it down and going for hit-and-hope efforts. No fancy passes or flicks, he has to just do exactly that.
3) Tell him if he doesn't kick the ball behind opponents, chase it down, and shoot at least 3 times a half, he'll be out of the squad and a move to Doncaster beckons.

And you'll have an effective player who scores 20 goals a season. He can score goals - just needs a manager who can give him credible threats.

Fats
30-01-2012, 03:21 PM
I don't think it's fair to call him lazy. He always tries hard, he's just not very good.

I dont see him trak back on quite a few occasions. Having said that people say Ramsey also tries hard, he does not. Just watch Theo and Ramsey for 15 minutes closely. Real lack of desire.

Syn
30-01-2012, 03:23 PM
I dont see him trak back on quite a few occasions. Having said that people say Ramsey also tries hard, he does not. Just watch Theo and Ramsey for 15 minutes closely. Real lack of desire.

Do you have a cousin called Charlie, by any chance?

Champagne Charlie
30-01-2012, 03:29 PM
On current form I think Ox clearly comes out on top of this one. He’s been excellent in the last two games and really looks like he could be a big player for us.

As many have said he seems to have much more natural ability than Walcott. He looks like a ‘proper’ winger and his positive performances have actually highlighted a lot of Walcott’s weaknesses.

But to be fair to Theo I think until the last month or so he was actually having his best season for us to date. And I thought that whilst Theo had somewhat of a stinker in the first half yesterday, he was much, much better in the second half and played a big role in us winning the match, which he doesn’t seem to have got much credit for.

So overall I think Ox is the better player, if not now then he certainly will be in a year or two’s time.

But personally, once we’ve got our key fullbacks back I’d love to see a front three of Ox, RVP and Theo going at teams. That’s potentially a very dangerous attacking force. One that I could see it causing massive problems for anyone’s defence.

Marc Overmars
30-01-2012, 03:30 PM
That's a bit harsh.

Theo is a trier, he's just a limited player.

Ramsey is slow and heavy on his feet, but he does have an engine. His downfall is that he requires too much time on the ball to pick his pass, and for some reason tries stupid little flicks. He needs to remember he's not a tiki-taka student, but a filthy Welsh GHEL.

GP
30-01-2012, 03:31 PM

Fair enough.

I disagree entirely.

IBK
30-01-2012, 03:44 PM
What I don't like about Theo is how he's started getting all a bit petulant - particularly with his teammates. Looking a bit like he believes the hype....

Cripps_orig
30-01-2012, 03:58 PM
Dont forget that Theo has had to cover at right back earlier on in the season when Jenkinson who has been nothing short of awful playing and Theo had to do his fair share of defensive work then. I remember him giving Jenko a right bollocking during one match and rightly so as he was woefully out of position and made no attempt to get back and Theo had to do it

bignev
30-01-2012, 04:33 PM
I believe the people whose opinions I value. You are not one of them. You would be if I thought you actually said what you think because I generally think you know your football but instead you choose to WUM and point score and it renders your potentially sensible views meaningless.

I've often thought Ach doesn't believe a lot of the rubbish he types. I think he just goes against majority opinion just for the reaction. The more obviously ridiculous he can make his opinions out to be the better it seems.

Cripps_orig
30-01-2012, 04:38 PM
A player has a good game.

I say he has a good game

And thats ridiculous? :unsure:

Ok then....

Some people need to look up what ridiculous means, me thinks.

Or they just need to stop WUMming. Its boring

bignev
30-01-2012, 04:41 PM
Dont forget that Theo has had to cover at right back earlier on in the season when Jenkinson who has been nothing short of awful playing and Theo had to do his fair share of defensive work then. I remember him giving Jenko a right bollocking during one match and rightly so as he was woefully out of position and made no attempt to get back and Theo had to do it

Walcott does track back and that is something that he does really well.

However he doesn't have a decent final ball and quite often he gets into a good position and then wastes it. He reminds me a lot of Eboue actually - everything is good until he gets near the area and then seems to panic. Although we do see occasional glimpses of good finishing which in some ways makes it worse because he can't do it consistently.

I do think we don't play to his strengths tbh. Our build up play is quite slow when really we should break quickly and take advantage of his pace.

The truth is if he really wants 90k we would be better off selling him and paying someone better that money.

bignev
30-01-2012, 04:44 PM
A player has a good game.

I say he has a good game

And thats ridiculous? :unsure:

Ok then....

Some people need to look up what ridiculous means, me thinks.

Or they just need to stop WUMming. Its boring

This is the last time I bite.

You don't believe that. If you watched yesterday you would know Walcott did not have a good game. If you truly believe that then you're easily pleased.

It's all for reaction and it's tiresome tbh.

Cripps_orig
30-01-2012, 04:50 PM
I was at the game yesterday and he got a standing ovation when he was subbed cos we appreciated how he played. That tells me a lot more on how fans think of Theo than a couple of Internet Pub Teamers on the back of a couple of minutes of highlights action

Cripps_orig
30-01-2012, 04:52 PM
Walcott does track back and that is something that he does really well.

However he doesn't have a decent final ball and quite often he gets into a good position and then wastes it. He reminds me a lot of Eboue actually - everything is good until he gets near the area and then seems to panic. Although we do see occasional glimpses of good finishing which in some ways makes it worse because he can't do it consistently.

I do think we don't play to his strengths tbh. Our build up play is quite slow when really we should break quickly and take advantage of his pace.

The truth is if he really wants 90k we would be better off selling him and paying someone better that money.Finally a sensible post i can relate to

Not much there i disagree with bar the last line. How do we know he wants 90k? Hes always been a down to earth kind of guy. Never got to big for his boots and always appreciated his footballing roots so it would surprise me if he demanded 90k

Olivier's xmas twist
30-01-2012, 05:31 PM
I was at the game yesterday and he got a standing ovation when he was subbed cos we appreciated how he played. That tells me a lot more on how fans think of Theo than a couple of Internet Pub Teamers on the back of a couple of minutes of highlights action

He would have got clapped last week for coming off too had aw taken him off and not for the reason you think. I do have to admire how you stick up for the lad when even he amdits how shite he has been.

bignev
31-01-2012, 08:31 AM
Finally a sensible post i can relate to

Not much there i disagree with bar the last line. How do we know he wants 90k? Hes always been a down to earth kind of guy. Never got to big for his boots and always appreciated his footballing roots so it would surprise me if he demanded 90k

We don't know he wants 90k for sure. We're all working off rumours. Hopefully he doesn't.

I'd pay him half that tops. Something tells me he is on more already though.

I was at the game and I don't remember a standing ovation for Walcott so not sure where that came from!?!? If there was one it was probably for Henry / Sagna when they came on?

Dennis Bendtner
31-01-2012, 06:51 PM
Have another go.

Syn
31-01-2012, 06:55 PM
edit: ^^ Got it to work now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSQq_fQAGrA&feature=player_embedded

Ollie the Optimist
01-02-2012, 10:11 PM
think tonight ended this. theo is fucking awful, the ox is special and will be brilliant player.

basically keep the ox, sell theo to mk dons, he might actually look good there

Olivier's xmas twist
01-02-2012, 10:12 PM
think tonight ended this. theo is fucking awful, the ox is special and will be brilliant player.

basically keep the ox, sell theo to mk dons, he might actually look good there

Na lets keep him because Theo is alwsome :ACH:

Master Splinter
01-02-2012, 10:14 PM
Na lets keep him because Theo is alwsome :ACH:

:haha:

Cripps_orig
01-02-2012, 10:23 PM
Both shit

Get rid of both

Gubby Allen
01-02-2012, 10:24 PM
Ox has done more in the last 2-3 weeks than Walcott has in the last 2-3 years, no exaggeration.

Walcott was a considerably better player in 2009 than he is now - and was a great impact sub. He offers next to nothing at the moment.

Incidentally, when was his last P.L goal at the Emirates?

Olivier's xmas twist
01-02-2012, 10:25 PM
Both shit

Get rid of both

OX is not shit

Cripps_orig
01-02-2012, 10:26 PM
Ox has done more in the last 2-3 weeks than Walcott has in the last 2-3 years, no exaggeration.

Walcott was a considerably better player in 2009 than he is now - and was a great impact sub. He offers next to nothing at the moment.

Incidentally, when was his last goal at the Emirates? Ideally P.L but either will do.Theo scored 15 odd goals last season.....

Still shit

Cripps_orig
01-02-2012, 10:26 PM
OX is not shitIm not in the business of praising one player to critisise another

Its a team game

Ollie the Optimist
01-02-2012, 10:27 PM

Incidentally, when was his last P.L goal at the Emirates?

well sunday, but when was the last goal he meant to score? think chavs at home last season

Niall_Quinn
01-02-2012, 10:31 PM
well sunday, but when was the last goal he meant to score? think chavs at home last season

You have no proof he meant that.

Xhaka Can’t
01-02-2012, 10:32 PM
You have no proof he meant that.

He celebrated like he meant it.

Gubby Allen
01-02-2012, 10:33 PM

That was the last league goal I could recall, so it was 2010 when he last scored a league goal at home?

I didn't phrase it too well first off, but I meant with and without goals C.L included, if there were any.

Ollie the Optimist
01-02-2012, 10:34 PM
That was the last league goal I could recall, so it was 2010 when he last scored a league goal at home?

I didn't phrase it too well first off, but I meant with and without goals C.L included, if there were any.

think that was his last goal at emirates in all comps barring sunday

Niall_Quinn
01-02-2012, 10:39 PM
think that was his last goal at emirates in all comps barring sunday

When was the last time he didn't say, "Life is a box of chocolates", before running headlong into a brick wall?

Coney
02-02-2012, 01:20 PM
He celebrated like he meant it.

So did George Graham in the 1971 FA Cup final even though Kelly had scored the goal.:oldboy:

Syn
06-02-2012, 01:49 PM
While Wenger is delighted with Oxlade-Chamberlain’s recent displays, he is wary of the potential for burnout if the forward were to be overburdened this term.

“That’s what happened to us last year with Jack Wilshere, it was exactly the same,” he said. “At the start of the season you think, 'I will play him 20 games, maybe 25'. When they deliver a performance [like Saturday’s] they play 45 and then they play for the national team and then they get injured.

“It's very difficult to manage because people understand very quickly what kind of influence the players have. You want to win the game so you play them.”

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/wenger-strives-for-right-balance-with-alex

Van Persie on Oxlade:

“He is a fantastic player already; he's only 18 and is so young,” said the Dutchman. “He's good on the ball - he has everything. He's quick, he has movement, technique, can score a goal or give an assist. He has a great future.

“But don't put too much pressure on him. You always have periods when you are young when you have really high highs and you go up and down until you balance it a bit better.

“He will have ups and he will have periods when he's not playing so well. So my advice is to be aware of it and be patient.”

Oxlade-Chamberlain’s fine form has led to speculation about a possible spot in England’s Euro 2012 squad, after several impressive displays for Stuart Pearce’s Under-21s.

Van Persie, who should feature for Holland in this summer's tournament, believes the teenager's full international opportunity will come when the time is right.

“Why not?” he said. “In the future, definitely. He's a big prospect. Everyone is enjoying watching him. I do, you do and he brings something extra to the game and people just love it.

“It reminds me of my own period when I was breaking through and was 18 or 19. I believe when you have all these qualities it gives you confidence and you can enjoy yourself.

“He's not someone who thinks about negatives, just positives and you can enjoy the game like that.

“I had that as well when I was younger. I wasn't thinking about 'oh, big stadium, or big game'. I was just enjoying myself.”
http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/van-persie-we-must-be-patient-with-alex

Fair enough from Arsene. Tricky situation. But that's why you need better players who can step in. Oxlade and Van Persie shouldn't be the only two good attacking players out of about 8 in the squad.

Cripps_orig
06-02-2012, 01:57 PM
Robin van Persie has leapt to the defence of Theo Walcott – and insisted he is worth 20 goals a season.

Walcott has gone through a lean spell of form but was back with a bang as he provided three assists in the thumping win over Blackburn.

But Van Persie said: “I honestly love him. I don’t understand the *criticism.

“He was sharp against *Blackburn, he was playing fantastically and, like anyone, he misses chances.

“But I miss chances. Ronaldo does, Messi does. It’s life.

“Sometimes I feel that people are a bit harsh on him. I don’t know why. If you look at his assists rate then it is unbelievable.

“And he will score. Trust me, he will score. He will get 20 goals at least every season. You will see. He will, have faith in him.

“He has given me so many assists. And for me, if you give an assist then it is worth a goal, especially if you give a great assist.

“It is as important as scoring a goal.

“He gave me two simple tap-ins. That makes it more his goal than my goal and he has given me many assists.”

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Arsenal-Robin-van-Persie-Theo-Walcott-s-assists-are-as-important-as-my-goals-article861925.html

Pretty much what ive been saying all along and now the captain has said the same thing

THEO THEO THEO

Syn
06-02-2012, 02:07 PM
RVP :lol:

Quick hand him the new contract while he's still high.

Kano
06-02-2012, 03:11 PM
you can't argue with theo's stats this season, he's doing what he's being paid to do. the frustrating thing is that he could be even better.

Aida
06-02-2012, 05:25 PM
Walcott was an unsung hero against Blackburn (Clap for him )

Xhaka Can’t
06-02-2012, 05:34 PM
you can't argue with theo's stats this season, he's doing what he's being paid to do. the frustrating thing.

Can't argue with that at all.

tigerthesmurf85
06-02-2012, 05:58 PM
Theo is getting a lot of assists and chipping in with the odd goal. The frustrating thing is that he could do so much better. I don't understand people saying he's been rubbish. I'd say wasteful and not playing to full potential but certainly not complete rubbish.

Letters
06-02-2012, 06:11 PM
It certainly was an odd goal against Villa.
In some games he has been rubbish :shrug:
On Saturday he was superb. He's always been a player who seems to need confidence to play well so let's hope this gives him some. He's just too inconsistent and while he's still fairly young he's getting to the sort of age where he really should be delivering more consistently, hence the frustration.

Power n Glory
06-02-2012, 06:56 PM
He's inconsistent not rubbish. These sort of threads are created when he's on a down and lot of people weigh in with their opinions but after a game like this, hardly anything is said and it's the type of performance that contridicts a lot of the blanket statements about his game.

He's not just a sprinter for starters. You can see from the assists that he was making intelligent runs into the the box and getting his timing spot on, especially for the first goal. He showed some good technique and control when bringing down long passes and the assist for Alex showed how dangerous he could be in the box. Defenders back off him when in that position and are scared to touch him when in the box. It's why I think he'd be better off as a striker. But he has to get his confidence back up in front of goal.

Good game for the kid. If not as a striker, I think he'd have an easier game playing down the left. Right footers cutting in from the left are dangerous and once you've lost your defender, your set to have a crack on goal.

As for the Ox, this kid is fantastic. Great talent and he's going to be dangerous. Wenger was spot on with this signing and we all question him as times, but he has brought a real gem. Strong, both footed, can dribble, shoot, intelligent use of the ball....great and I hope he has a long career with us.

alexander
06-02-2012, 08:34 PM
As for the Ox, this kid is fantastic. Strong, both footed, can dribble, shoot, intelligent

His second goal, in a busy box, he had time to control with his left, then get the shot away calmly with the right. Wise beyond his years.

Syn
06-02-2012, 08:54 PM
His second goal, in a busy box, he had time to control with his left, then get the shot away calmly with the right. Wise beyond his years.

Reminds me a great goal Hleb scored against Reading. Hope the ox can emulate his quality over the next few years. If he does, we'll have some player.

edit: Sorry, not Reading (although he scored a similar one against Reading), it was Sparta Prague. Tbf he has scored so many goals it's inevitable that a few are similar.

Aida
06-02-2012, 09:09 PM
Reminds me a great goal Hleb scored against Reading. Hope the ox can emulate his quality over the next few years. If he does, we'll have some player.

edit: Sorry, not Reading (although he scored a similar one against Reading), it was Sparta Prague. Tbf he has scored so many goals it's inevitable that a few are similar.

Helb was an ok player he was not goal score i think the most he had in a season was four he hardly scored goals, Ox is more of a goal threat at 18 year of age but Helb was your conventional ball to feet kind of player.

IBK
06-02-2012, 10:00 PM
you can't argue with theo's stats this season, he's doing what he's being paid to do. the frustrating thing is that he could be even better.

Japan Shaking All Over
07-02-2012, 12:58 AM
. . .much better to be frank!
I want him to do well as his good performances ultimately help tje team. . .but he flirts with consistency like a one night stand; "Dont call me, I'll call you" kind of attitude.

He did have a good game against Blackeyes but I've seen him have good games one week and then seemingly take the month off.
Theo has now been around long enough to have cemented himself in the starting 11, and does not get subbed as often, he has become one of the squads senior members and needs to be setting more of an example, sure no-one is going to score with every shot or send over pinpoint crosses every time but Theo needs to make himself stand out, show why he deserves to be held in esteem by his colleagues and fans and feared by his opponents, because there have been too many times this season when his contribution has been minimal at best.

I think that if we continue to play with two wide to support RvP then Theo and Oxo gave the potential to really scare the shit out if most, add a fit again Jack into the mix and a shining diamond emerges. . .Theo needs to find consistency, another few performances like Saturdays and I will be easy to win over. . .

Olivier's xmas twist
07-02-2012, 01:11 AM
. . .much better to be frank!
I want him to do well as his good performances ultimately help tje team. . .but he flirts with consistency like a one night stand; "Dont call me, I'll call you" kind of attitude.

He did have a good game against Blackeyes but I've seen him have good games one week and then seemingly take the month off.
Theo has now been around long enough to have cemented himself in the starting 11, and does not get subbed as often, he has become one of the squads senior members and needs to be setting more of an example, sure no-one is going to score with every shot or send over pinpoint crosses every time but Theo needs to make himself stand out, show why he deserves to be held in esteem by his colleagues and fans and feared by his opponents, because there have been too many times this season when his contribution has been minimal at best.

I think that if we continue to play with two wide to support RvP then Theo and Oxo gave the potential to really scare the shit out if most, add a fit again Jack into the mix and a shining diamond emerges. . .Theo needs to find consistency, another few performances like Saturdays and I will be easy to win over. . .

This, He needs to show why he should start ahead of, Gev/AOC and Arshavin. We all know he could be world class, he needs to show it more. Even Messi, said he scared the shit out of him, Theo needs to go back to that.

Syn
07-02-2012, 01:33 AM
No, Theo can't be one of the best. He doesn't have it in him. Forget about being a pussy, he genuinely doesn't have the talent. But I don't mind that. Not everyone can be as gifted as Wilshere or Oxlade are, and that doesn't mean they can't carve out very good careers through hard work. Maybe it is wrong to call him rubbish because as fans we shouldn't be too critical of any player that works hard and Theo is working hard - you can clearly see that.

People are saying Theo needs to find consistency. I don't think that's true. I think he's doing the best with what he has every game. Some games suit him - opposition with attacking fullbacks suit him. Teams with shit fullbacks (Blackburn) suit him. If we were playing Blackburn or Barcelona every week, Theo would be useful every week. That is not to suggest he can't improve - he could grow some balls for starters and stop shitting himself in front of goal so frequently. Van Persie says Theo could be a 20 goal a season man and maybe he can. You don't need to be the world's best forward to be that prolific. He has two of the ingredients needed (pace and the ability to finish). And composure to that and you've got what you need.

But after 6 years of top division and european cup football, he still hasn't got the composure that 'experience' is supposed to bring. You could point to the manager that he hasn't managed him well and he has played him out of position. Personally, I think that if this guy fancies himself as a striker, you cannot shit yourself in front of goal as often as Theo does. That is unforgivable. Just stop panicking. You've got Henry at the club. Watch him. A cool head will take you a long way as a striker. Just calm the fuck down, Theo.

Fist of Lehmann
07-02-2012, 01:29 PM
I think the game on Saturday really just highlights the difference between the two. One is a natural, the other isn't.

Theo will be 23 in March. By this age you pretty much know what kind of player you're going to be. By this time your technique should be ingrained, because if it isn't, it's pretty much too late. Theo is erratic because his technique is erratic, his first touch on Saturday was to miscontrol the ball directly out of play.

That doesn't mean he can't be a highly effective player (as Satuday proved), it just means that you can't rely on him to be one. The OC was a constant threat throughout the match, whereas Theo is constant only in what defenders think he might do, an implied threat rather than an actual one.

Also, having a progressive fullback behind him is almost compulsory.

Cripps_orig
07-02-2012, 01:57 PM
Im glad we have both.

Along with RVP in the middle, our front 3 isnt much of a problem unless Wenger does a Wenger and brings Gervinho back in

Cripps_orig
07-02-2012, 02:24 PM
Theo Walcott would love to get on the scoresheet more - but the forward knows he must excel in supplying chances for others.

The England international has already laid on 10 assists in the Premier League alone this season, proving particularly fruitful in Robin van Persie’s prolific year.

And the 22-year-old is happy to continue providing the ammunition if it means the points go Arsenal’s way.

“One of my main jobs as a winger is to get assists,” said Walcott. “The goals are a secondary thing.

“Some of them against Blackburn were just tap-ins so it was like a goal really. I hope it made Robin's job easy.”

Arsenal ended a run of four league matches without victory with Saturday’s emphatic 7-1 victory over Blackburn at Emirates Stadium.

Walcott admits he has been as frustrated as anybody else over this period and believes the players are the only ones who can improve fortunes.

“There are so many world-class players in the dressing room, so it is disappointing when we come back from Bolton with a 0-0 draw where we had a lot of chances,” he said.

“It's just been one of those frustrating seasons. Hopefully a lot of those frustrations came out against Blackburn where everybody stood up for themselves.

“The boss always takes a lot of stick from everyone criticising him but us players need to look up to him because he's been taking it all.

“We are the ones who go out there and put out the performances and sometimes they haven't been good enough.”

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/walcott-creating-assists-is-my-main-role

Olivier's xmas twist
15-02-2012, 10:50 PM
Theo should Piss off, really don't see th use in him tbh, just no motivation from him, expect him talk to the media about "how we can get through this were desperate etc"

Just feck fo you twit.

Aida
17-02-2012, 03:58 AM
Ox was pretty decent against Ac Milan cant say the same for Theo

Coney
17-02-2012, 12:51 PM
I think the game on Saturday really just highlights the difference between the two. One is a natural, the other isn't.

Exactly. Theo is a decent player and would be good in a lot of teams, but when you see Ox BEFORE he has got a lot of experience, the difference is clear. Ox should be the starter right now. Maybe use Theo for the last 20 minutes as a fresh runner.

Newguy
17-02-2012, 08:19 PM
I think Theo's time is over, getting subbed at half time is never a good sign, even if it was for Henry. I think he'll lose his starting place, but we shal see. I'd start Ox ahaead of him, but that would mean Gervinho in the right and Ox on the left.

Olivier's xmas twist
17-02-2012, 08:20 PM
Exactly. Theo is a decent player and would be good in a lot of teams, but when you see Ox BEFORE he has got a lot of experience, the difference is clear. Ox should be the starter right now. Maybe use Theo for the last 20 minutes as a fresh runner.

should have done that in Milan tbh.

Özim
17-02-2012, 09:08 PM
Walcott has never had the talent, a very ordinary footballer I've said it for years talent is clear as day.....Oxo proves that. Just a shame we've invested so much money in him really.

Xhaka Can’t
17-02-2012, 09:16 PM
Walcott has never had the talent, a very ordinary footballer I've said it for years talent is clear as day.....Oxo proves that. Just a shame we've invested so much money in him really.

Was just thinking of discussions we had in the past about Walcott. While we both thought he was wildly over-hyped, we agreed that at least he had the right attitude.

He doesn't even have that any more.

Özim
17-02-2012, 09:19 PM
Was just thinking of discussions we had in the past about Walcott. While we both thought he was wildly over-hyped, we agreed that at least he had the right attitude.

He doesn't even have that any more.
Sadly that's football these days, very few ordinary genuine guys who play for the joy of football and give 100%. I think that can be one of the pitfalls of giving youngsters big contracts before they've had to prove their worth.

fakeyank
17-02-2012, 09:20 PM
The only way I see Theo being effective is the last 20-25 minutes of a game and thats primarily because he has pace. We might as well try and get Usain Bolt... he might do a better job actually! Theo's crossing has improved this season but his ball control is clearly not that of a professional footballer! I dont know who it was who said that he does not have a footballing brain but whoever it was, he hit the nail on the head!

If Arsenal wants to be a top team, Wally has no place around this club.. if we want to be pushing the likes of Fulham, Everton, Villa for Europa league places, then he is a good squad player. This is the same for many other players at the club unfortunately!

Xhaka Can’t
17-02-2012, 09:28 PM
Sadly that's football these days, very few ordinary genuine guys who play for the joy of football and give 100%. I think that can be one of the pitfalls of giving youngsters big contracts before they've had to prove their worth.

Totally agree. But the way the market is now, Clubs feel they have to do that.

I reckon we should change approach - build a team around a spine of proven quality and reward the fuck out of them and complement them with lower paid talent that need to prove themselves if they want to be rewarded like those in the spine rather than paying idiotic amounts to everybody.

Olivier's xmas twist
17-02-2012, 10:49 PM

:gp: I think we got it right with Flamini, he wanted big contract when he hardly did nout and we let him go thats the way it should be. The way the manger/club handle contracts is a worry.

Grebbo
18-02-2012, 12:23 PM
Under no circumstances should Walcott be offered an improved salary.

He is shit.

Olivier's xmas twist
18-02-2012, 12:40 PM
Straight to the point Grebbs and i like it

alexander
18-02-2012, 04:08 PM
Under no circumstances should Walcott be offered an improved salary.

He is shit.

I never wanted to agree with this, but as the time has gone on, I am inclined to fully agree.

Power n Glory
18-02-2012, 04:33 PM
Yep, starting to agree with it as well. He's not a winger and it's best for him to move on. He should move to another club and keep his head down so he can get out of the spotlight. It's staggering that Wenger couldn't turn him into a better player.

It was wrong to put him into the first team straight away. He'd have been a better player if he'd have been playing in the reserves with Bould's young players. Same goes for Ramsey. Their growth has been stunted in the first team. Another failed player to go on the scrap heap.

hymppi
18-02-2012, 04:48 PM
Yep, starting to agree with it as well. He's not a winger and it's best for him to move on. He should move to another club and keep his head down so he can get out of the spotlight. It's staggering that Wenger couldn't turn him into a better player.

It was wrong to put him into the first team straight away. He'd have been a better player if he'd have been playing in the reserves with Bould's young players. Same goes for Ramsey. Their growth has been stunted in the first team. Another failed player to go on the scrap heap.
i'd give ramsey more time, he was out for season, you know.
but for theo...good luck somewhere else, son. please go.

Aida
18-02-2012, 08:20 PM
Ramsey needs a Fabregas around him, He needs great players around before he can come of age naturally. Ox even had a bad game but it never helped he had no support from arsenal team and he always was man marked by to Sunderland players.

Olivier's xmas twist
18-02-2012, 08:22 PM
Ramsey needs a Fabregas around him, He needs great players around before he can come of age naturally. Ox even had a bad game but it never helped he had no support from arsenal team and he always was man marked by to Sunderland players.

Can't expect him to have a good game all the time, once again walnut came and and did nothing even upfront he was poor.

Niall_Quinn
18-02-2012, 08:28 PM

He was put into the England squad by that fool, now they want to do the same with Ox. Walcott is not Wenger's failure alone, plenty participated. And Theo should shoulder some of the responsibility too. The poor lad still asn't grasped the basics.

Aida
19-02-2012, 03:37 AM
I don't see how paying for England affected him. He lacks certain skills lets face it he is not the Henry we was ignorant to assume.

Olivier's xmas twist
21-02-2012, 09:12 AM
Footballer Theo Walcott is known for being an engaging player always ready to strike *– but it’s taken him seven years to propose to his girlfriend Melanie Slade.

To be fair, childhood sweethearts Theo and Mel are both only 22. England and Arsenal ace Theo went down on one knee – hopefully not the one he injured last year – and presented Mel with an engagement ring, which has one huge diamond and two *smaller ones either side, on New Year’s Eve at their home in Hertfordshire.

Our source said: “Mel is over the moon, the ring is *stunning.” Theo and Mel had hoped to keep the news quiet – but the huge sparkler on her finger made that impossible.

The couple are expected to wait until next year to wed, leaving *winger Theo free to concentrate on his game with Arsenal in the hope he will play for England in the Euro 2012.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Ring-wizard-Theo-Walcott-goes-down-on-one-knee-to-propose-to-girlfriend-Mel-Slade-article867136.html

Ollie the Optimist
21-02-2012, 07:20 PM
although ox scored the og on saturday, it was great to see a player, after losing the ball, sprint the whole pitch to get back to try and save the goal. refreshing to see someone care that much.

McNamara That Ghost...
21-02-2012, 07:23 PM
Wish he hadn't bothered tbf.

Grebbo
21-02-2012, 08:16 PM
although ox scored the og on saturday, it was great to see a player, after losing the ball, sprint the whole pitch to get back to try and save the goal. refreshing to see someone care that much.

I agree. I was also angry that not one player consoled him afterwards or at the final whistle.

He didn't need hand holding as we have enough pussies in the team. Just an arm around him and a word along the lines of "well done for trying to get back, we'd have lost anyway, don't worry about it" would have been nice - he's only 18 ffs.

Our players are ****s tbh.

Marc Overmars
21-02-2012, 08:21 PM
Wish he hadn't bothered tbf.

:lol:

Pretty much.

You can see he's already recieving the GHEL sympathy treatment. Tyldesley's words something like "poor poor Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain". If it had been johnny foreigner they would have spoken about what a mess he made of it.

GHELs. :bow:

LDG
21-02-2012, 08:22 PM
I agree. I was also angry that not one player consoled him afterwards or at the final whistle.

He didn't need hand holding as we have enough pussies in the team. Just an arm around him and a word along the lines of "well done for trying to get back, we'd have lost anyway, don't worry about it" would have been nice - he's only 18 ffs.

Our players are ****s tbh.

I'm sure nothing was said to him in the dressing room either.

They probably made him stand naked in a corner crying and playing with his winkle, while they flicked mud at him.

Dog Toffee
23-02-2012, 04:20 PM
"We'd have lost anyway" lol, inspirational stuff.

Edit- And how on earth do you know whether that wasnt something Van Persie or someone else said to AOC in the dressing room anyway.