PDA

View Full Version : Match reaction vs Villa (fa cup)

Olivier's xmas twist
29-01-2012, 05:58 PM
Shit performance 1st half
better 2nd half on to the next round we go

milla
29-01-2012, 05:59 PM
Sack Wenger :coffee:

Marc Overmars
Important win and big relief.

Time to hit the winning trail in the league again this week at Bolton.

tigerthesmurf85
First half was rubbish. Second half arguably our best of the season.

hobson's choice
Win, Good.

Ach:bow::bow:

Dennis Bendtner
29-01-2012, 06:00 PM
Mad 15 minutes. Something like that looked possible though, as Villa were open in the first half. Good to be through.

Aida
29-01-2012, 06:01 PM
If i was Theo i would have never celebrated a goal like that, i would been embarrassed but at least it helped us win

Power n Glory
29-01-2012, 06:02 PM
We got what we deserved and we played well in both halves. We were just punished for sloppy defending. When was the last time you've seen us look so comfortable on the ball in the middle of the park and create so many dangerous opportunities?

Master Splinter
29-01-2012, 06:03 PM
We turned what should have been a comfortable victory into a 3-2 thriller.

Value for money again :bow:.

Two pels and one disgusting deflected special. We really are a proper pub team now. Awesome.

Good to have Sagna and Arteta back for Bolton.

Oxlade-Chamberlain showed a composed all-round game to go with his attacking threat today as well. Surely he has to start every game now without question.

GP
29-01-2012, 06:03 PM
Shit performance 1st half

Nah it really wasn't. We didn't deserve to be behind but there you go.

Olivier's xmas twist
29-01-2012, 06:06 PM
Good to hear the players say they want to win the fa cup tbh

Power n Glory
29-01-2012, 06:07 PM

Totally agree. We dominated that game and the only game where i was baffled at the score.

GunnerFan4Life
29-01-2012, 06:07 PM
Man its so good to see the big guns come back, Arteta and Sagna, i want the team that went on that run to come back again :( the team that beat chelsea and all the other difficult games!

Master Splinter
29-01-2012, 06:09 PM
Manchester United striker Michael Owen on Twitter: "What a comeback that was. Wenger must have hit the right notes in his HT team talk!"

He's probably too bland to even get into the Old Boys Club on MOTD in a few years.

GP
29-01-2012, 06:10 PM
He's probably too bland to even get into the Old Boys Club on MOTD in a few years.

If Owen was an ice cream flavour he'd be pralines and dick.

Olivier's xmas twist
29-01-2012, 06:11 PM
Man its so good to see the big guns come back, Arteta and Sagna, i want the team that went on that run to come back again :( the team that beat chelsea and all the other difficult games!

Yep and if wenger adds quality in the next few days there is no reason we can't win this cup tbh heck even the cl

Olivier's xmas twist
29-01-2012, 06:12 PM

fair enough, im just comparing the 2 half's and thought the 2nd was much better

Master Splinter
29-01-2012, 06:13 PM
Yep and if wenger adds quality in the next few days there is no reason we can't win this cup tbh heck even the cl

You really jump from one extreme to the other don't you?

Or was your cousin typing during the match?

Niall_Quinn
29-01-2012, 06:15 PM
Pub performance, random result. RvP and Ox get some credit, the rest were very ordinary. Failed to do anything with possession in the first half, defence awful. Lucked out in a mad 15 minutes and then did the usual sitting back routine. Didn't get punished for a change. All the usual problems very evident. Wenger dodges a bullet.

Power n Glory
29-01-2012, 06:17 PM
I don't think Wenger said all that much at half time. I have a feeling RVP and Henry said something. RVP and Theo weren't really talking about Wenger and just focusssed on the team effort. Robin kept saying he was proud of the team and Theo was saying it was great team effort and working hard. Also mentioned Robin's half time talk reminding everyone that we haven't one anything in ages. Seems like a real good captain.

Master Splinter
29-01-2012, 06:18 PM
Wenger dodges a bullet.

Predictable that Ach would be a poor shot.

Olivier's xmas twist
29-01-2012, 06:20 PM
I don't think Wenger said all that much at half time. I have a feeling RVP and Henry said something. RVP and Theo weren't really talking about Wenger and just focusssed on the team effort. Robin kept saying he was proud of the team and Theo was saying it was great team effort and working hard. Also mentioned Robin's half time talk reminding everyone that we haven't one anything in ages. Seems like a real good captain.]

They said the staff which includes the manager, stop wenger bashing for the sake of it

Power n Glory
29-01-2012, 06:20 PM
Pub performance, random result. RvP and Ox get some credit, the rest were very ordinary. Failed to do anything with possession in the first half, defence awful. Lucked out in a mad 15 minutes and then did the usual sitting back routine. Didn't get punished for a change. All the usual problems very evident. Wenger dodges a bullet.

That was a totally different performance compared to our last three games, especially the performances against Fulham and Swansea where we were passed off the park points. That is an unfair assessment.

Niall_Quinn
29-01-2012, 06:21 PM
I don't think Wenger said all that much at half time. I have a feeling RVP and Henry said something. RVP and Theo weren't really talking about Wenger and just focusssed on the team effort. Robin kept saying he was proud of the team and Theo was saying it was great team effort and working hard. Also mentioned Robin's half time talk reminding everyone that we haven't one anything in ages. Seems like a real good captain.

Seems like we'd be fighting in the relegation zone if we didn't have RvP.

Olivier's xmas twist
29-01-2012, 06:22 PM
You really jump from one extreme to the other don't you?

Or was your cousin typing during the match?

Not really, said it was a dissapointing 1st half which it was, but a better 2nd half where the lads showed the passion we were asking for. All i was saying with our players back it would be a boost add a bit more quality and who knows.

Niall_Quinn
29-01-2012, 06:23 PM
That was a totally different performance compared to our last three games, especially the performances against Fulham and Swansea where we were passed off the park points. That is an unfair assessment.

Result could have been anything today. And not because either team played well.

Niall_Quinn
29-01-2012, 06:23 PM
McLeish reckons they were robbed. He's taking it on the chin apparently. Normally he swallows.

Olivier's xmas twist
29-01-2012, 06:25 PM
McLeish reckons they were robbed. He's taking it on the chin apparently. Normally he swallows.

twat

Power n Glory
29-01-2012, 06:26 PM
]

They said the staff which includes the manager, stop wenger bashing for the sake of it

As much as everyone wants to say Wenger must have lost his rag, I don't think he did this time as much as the ESPN pundits kept on suggesting. Keown knows Wenger and thinks he would have stayed calm as well. Against Liverpool, the players said in the interview that he lost his rag and had never seen him like that. When asked this time, RVP brushed past the question and just said we needed to play better.

I don't think Wenger had a reason to lose his rag either. For once, I agree with his interview, we were unlucky to be two goals down. I thought we looked very sharp from the get go and were creating dangerous chances but Villa were defending well.

Ollie the Optimist
29-01-2012, 06:27 PM

how was he robbed? cunt. only bad decision by ref was not to send off dunne.

Niall_Quinn
29-01-2012, 06:29 PM
how was he robbed? cunt. only bad decision by ref was not to send off dunne.

Theo hand balled it into the goal and then Villa had a penalty for hand ball denied. So he says. Not sure if that's going to stop his team being losers, doubt it.

Xhaka Can’t
29-01-2012, 06:31 PM
fair enough, im just comparing the 2 half's and thought the 2nd was much better

I preferred the bit where we scored goals.

Niall_Quinn
29-01-2012, 06:31 PM
As much as everyone wants to say Wenger must have lost his rag, I don't think he did this time as much as the ESPN pundits kept on suggesting. Keown knows Wenger and thinks he would have stayed calm as well. Against Liverpool, the players said in the interview that he lost his rag and had never seen him like that. When asked this time, RVP brushed past the question and just said we needed to play better.

I don't think Wenger had a reason to lose his rag either. For once, I agree with his interview, we were unlucky to be two goals down. I thought we looked very sharp from the get go and were creating dangerous chances but Villa were defending well.

Henry and RvP did the half time talk by the look of it. Henry was on the sidelines shouting instructions, Wenger was hiding under his coat. Maybe that was his plan, let the players sort themselves out.

Syn
29-01-2012, 06:33 PM
A good performance. An expected win but nice to come back in the manner that we did. Thought the scoreline wasn't representative at all of the first half. Even at HT I thought we could go on and win it and it was great to see the players fight back well in the second. Nice little reminder that a match lasts for 90 minutes, not 45.

Joker
29-01-2012, 06:34 PM
Excellent second half performance, that's more like it. We're still far too inconsistent though. Hopefully we get a bit of confidence from this win and can get back on track in the league.

Power n Glory
29-01-2012, 06:36 PM
Result could have been anything today. And not because either team played well.

Not sure what game you were watching today. That wasn't a pub team performance. For once we created a lot of chances and dominates possession in the middle. I think Rosicky should be playing more often and Coqulin was good going forwards and that helped Theo a bit.

It was a better all round peformance from the team.

Olivier's xmas twist
29-01-2012, 06:37 PM

True, well who ever said it needs to say it every week lol

Power n Glory
29-01-2012, 06:38 PM
A good performance. An expected win but nice to come back in the manner that we did. Thought the scoreline wasn't representative at all of the first half. Even at HT I thought we could go on and win it and it was great to see the players fight back well in the second. Nice little reminder that a match lasts for 90 minutes, not 45.

Yeah u did say at half time we could still win it and we were playing well in the first half. Just sloppy goals. But it never felt like a game where we would struggle to create chances.

Olivier's xmas twist
29-01-2012, 06:38 PM
I preferred the bit where we scored goals.

didn't we all

Alpha
29-01-2012, 06:44 PM
Let be fair . The team played really well but unlucky to concede :

We dominated the whole game . Coq was solid . The Ox had a good game . Rosicky was very good in the engine room . We kept possession well for a long time and Villa had to chase the shadow .We created some good chances but unlucky not to put them away . Good to see RVP increase his goals tally . But our goals were not that great . We conceded though a lack of concentration and poor marking for the first goal and we were caught in counter-attack and should have closed Bent down after Fabianski has made a save . Nice to see Sagna back on the pitch .
Anyway , after losing 3 games in a row , it was good to win anyhow to boost up our confidence . A win is a win no matter what . Job done . Come on Middleborough or Sunderland .
I reckon it gonna be Middleborough . Bring them on .

KSE Comedy Club
29-01-2012, 06:46 PM
When's the highlights on?

Xhaka Can’t
29-01-2012, 06:49 PM
I am very concerned. While it is true to say we had the majority of possession and controlled much of the game - none of this translated in to goals. Any goals that came about were the result of penalties and a ricochet off Walcott that he knew nothing about. None of our goals were crafted through our play. And we still have that glass jaw when it comes to the sucker punch.

LDG
29-01-2012, 06:51 PM
Just about got back from my mini-break in Cornwall to catch the second half.

Best I've seen us play for about 3 months.

Well done the boys.

Joker
29-01-2012, 06:52 PM
I am very concerned. While it is true to say we had the majority of possession and controlled much of the game - none of this translated in to goals. Any goals that came about were the result of penalties and a ricochet off Walcott that he knew nothing about. None of our goals were crafted through our play. And we still have that glass jaw when it comes to the sucker punch.

We're really struggling to craft good goals these days. Nevertheless, at least the second half was played at a high pace and urgency. I don't think we have the creativity to combine high intensity football with precision passes and moves. Perhaps if Wilshere was available we could do this, but he's not back for a while unfortunately.

GP
29-01-2012, 06:53 PM
Coq was solid

http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ldp3jukzHo1qb9a2wo1_500.png

LDG
29-01-2012, 06:54 PM

I think that's a bit unfair mate.

The goals all came from us being quick, direct and with some top notch passing. We may have gotten lucky with the ricochet, but the build up play was the mopst incisive I've seen in quite a while.

Joker
29-01-2012, 06:58 PM
Defensively we always look all over the place whenever we sit back. I don't know why Wenger doesn't try to deal with this issue tbh. We always look like we're able to concede whenever we try to close a game out.

Olivier's xmas twist
29-01-2012, 07:02 PM
Defensively we always look all over the place whenever we sit back. I don't know why Wenger doesn't try to deal with this issue tbh. We always look like we're able to concede whenever we try to close a game out.

we have been ok in defence with our 1st choice defenders tbf, we just needed TV5 to organise the defence a bit better instead of going forward too much.

Xhaka Can’t
29-01-2012, 07:06 PM
I think that's a bit unfair mate.

The goals all came from us being quick, direct and with some top notch passing. We may have gotten lucky with the ricochet, but the build up play was the mopst incisive I've seen in quite a while.

My point is that while we can play well and with intensity - we can't stick the ball in the net because Van Persie aside, we lack the confidence and composure to finish off any of our moves.

Alpha
29-01-2012, 07:11 PM
http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ldp3jukzHo1qb9a2wo1_500.png

Did you really watch the game ? I doubt it . That was a solid for a Kid playing out of position . He wasn't intimidated .## .

Xhaka Can’t
29-01-2012, 07:12 PM
Oh dear.

Dennis Bendtner
29-01-2012, 07:13 PM
Coq was firm in the tackle.

Olivier's xmas twist
29-01-2012, 07:16 PM
we must be Favs to win the cup ?

Syn
29-01-2012, 07:24 PM

One of, yes. Still good teams left. We have a very tricky away game up next - tricky in terms of the timing just as much as the opponent - but we have a decent chance of beating them. Cup runs are funny; you don't need to be the best team to win. Just hope we get a bit of luck and other good teams start knocking eachother out.

Özim
29-01-2012, 07:30 PM
With Spurs, Chelsea and Liverpool still in it I doubt it.

Master Splinter
29-01-2012, 07:32 PM
Coq was a bit flimsy today.

He had some good spurts forward and got stuck in well, however.

Syn
29-01-2012, 07:42 PM
Van Persie has scored 25 goals in the season now. It's fucking January. :haha:

Today's penalties were a rarity as well. Incredible player. :bow:

Master Splinter
29-01-2012, 07:50 PM
http://www.101greatgoals.com/gvideos/theo-walcott-v-aston-villa/

Theo doing his shit golf celebration next to a clearly unimpressed WUMger :haha:.

And if a Villa player clears it onto Theo's arm, blame your player Eck. Idiot :doh:.

Power n Glory
29-01-2012, 07:59 PM
He has been a fantastic captain. Also, I'm glad Wenger didn't bench or leave Ox out of the squad. He could have been matters worse if he had lied about him having an injury and left him out because of the last week. That would have been unfair on the kid.

Positive game from him and he should be starting more. Dangerous player and a genuine threat.

Also, Rosicky has to start in the middle along with Arteta. I thought he was sharp, good passing and movement, able to turn a man and then play off a good pass. It's his natural position and I think we'd be more dangerous with him in the team. He's a natural playmaker. Just hope he can stay fit and I understand why Wenger has to take him off. But I think he should be starting ahead of Ramsey. A very positive and energetic performance.

Cripps_orig
29-01-2012, 07:59 PM
Just got back

My take on the game

Rosicky :bow:

Best player on the pitch and the one player to come out with any credit from a god awful first half. Simply terrible. Didnt create anything and conceded 2 pub team goals. We need a new back up keeper asap. Im not blaming Fab for either goal today but the nervousness created whenever he has the ball isnt good for the heart.

2nd half, we were awesome for half hour as every player stepped up to Rosickys level and we scored 3 goals. Havent seen the highlights so not sure if they were definite penalties or not. First looked it but the 2nd looked harsh. Dunne should have gone as well. Villa fans are cunts. At 2-1 or 2-2, they kept the ball and wouldnt give it back wasting time and then started crying when Arsenal fans did it at 3-2 up :lol:

Anyway we performed for 30 minutes of a 90 minute match which was good enough today to get a win but not much has changed. Wenger needs to go asap.

Koscielny :bow: Always been a fan and once again i have been proved right. What a run for the penalty

Mert is looking awesome as well. Great to see Sagna back although Coq had a decent game. Vermaelen looks settled at LB. Should keep him there when Gibbs is back and injured again and Santos is back.

Ramsey was awful as usual. Won the penalty though. Song was ok. Nothing special. Liked how he pressed at 3-2 up and cos of it we wont the ball back and won a well deserved round of applause.

Ox wasnt as influential as last week but couple of good runs and hes looking good for future games. Surely a first teamer ahead of Forehead now. Theo was brilliant in the 2nd half. Scares the shit out of opposition players and took on and beat players today and of course he scored. THEO THEO THEO

RVP did f all bar 2 well taken penalties.

Henry should have scored. Arteta probably had his best game for us as well

All in all, we won and off we go to lose in the North East in the next round

Dennis Bendtner
29-01-2012, 08:05 PM
http://www.101greatgoals.com/gvideos/theo-walcott-v-aston-villa/

Theo doing his shit golf celebration next to a clearly unimpressed WUMger :haha:.

And if a Villa player clears it onto Theo's arm, blame your player Eck. Idiot :doh:.

That's clearly table tennis. But yeah...it's clearly shit.

Alpha
29-01-2012, 08:13 PM
I don't think we should sign any player atm . Ox and Coq look very promising . What we need is senior players to step up a la Rosicky . He still proves he can do it bar his injury . Wenger also should encourage his players to start working hard and deliver . Our first job should be to flog off the dead wood to make space for any potential summer buys . The Squillaci , Bendtner , Vela , Djourou and Probably Diaby ( but he deserves a last chance though ) are clearly our first volunteers for the matching order .

Syn
29-01-2012, 08:14 PM
Rosicky has always been a massively talented player. After his Dortmund move he was expected to be one of the world's best but injuries ruined a very promising career. Like him a lot though - always full of energy and a good scrapper. Good squad player.

Another one full of effort is Ramsey. But a big shame he has been playing quite poorly. I'm sure he's a player Arsenal fans desperately want to see succeed but it's just not happening for him so far. He's not as light on his feet as he was before his injury and takes too long on the ball. Agree with some others that he should take some time off and Arteta, Rosicky, Song should be the middle 3, and if Rosicky can't handle too many games, rotate with Benayoun.

Cripps_orig
29-01-2012, 08:16 PM
on the match overall...
It was a good test to show that we had the mental qualities to come back. On the other hand it was important that we didn't panic [at half time]. To concede a goal just on half time for 2-0 was a difficult blow, but we responded very well against Manchester United here [last week] and we did it again today. Overall it was a classic FA Cup tie, 2-0 down and we came back. We had to fight to score three goals and we did it well. I felt it was harsh to be 2-0 down at half time, but Aston Villa are a good counter-attacking team and unfortunately we couldn't score in the first half. In the second half it was all us.

on Arsenal's spirit in the second half…
I was very impressed because I felt that when you come out of a bad period like we are, and you are 2-0 down, you can feel sorry for yourself or you can show you have the mental qualities to play for this club. I was very proud that the team came out and showed they are not ready to lie down.

On what was said at half time…
We always keep what is said in the dressing room [to ourselves]. The players were all very positive at half time and we showed that in the second half. It was important to put massive pressure on them in their half and not let them come out [with the ball]. We closed them down very hard in their own half.

on the booing at half time…
I felt they were quite positive compared to last time! Maybe because we are coming out of a bad period [they booed]. I am sad we cannot always keep them happy, the only thing we can do is show the spirit that we showed today. They have seen some interesting things today, I felt Oxlade-Chamberlain had another good game, and [they saw] we have some quality.

I just want to do well for this club that I love. I understand that people question my decisions, but I wouldn't understand if they questioned my commitment and my dedication.

on what the comeback might mean…
I hope [it means] that we can bounce back in the Premier League as well. I hope it convinces the team we have the required qualities and we can transfer that to the Premier League.

on Jack Wilshere's fitness…
I spoke to Jack today. We have no real news yet. The first news we have had is better than expected. He is not in a boot, but I don't know more. His morale looks quite good and I hope it will only be a short setback.There will be more tests this week.

on the players having something to prove…
Last year was a learning process. We went for four trophies and in February we were still in all four. When we had to play the Carling Cup final we were a bit nervous because we hadn't delivered, but they have learnt from that. Hopefully we can show it this year.

on Abou Diaby's comeback…
He is coming back on Tuesday. He has been in a rehab centre and has worked very hard. We feel that when he comes back he will need three more weeks of training, so the earliest he will play will be the end of February.

on Ryo's future…
I will have a chat with him tomorrow and I have a little plan. Oxlade-Chamberlain plays on the flanks now too, so if I can find an opportunity for him to play somewhere I will decide whether to do that tomorrow. It will have to be in England because he will lose the homegrown [status] if he leaves the country.

on winning two penalties…
I must say that was one of the positives today!

on Lukasz Fabianski…
He lacks a bit of match practice. Overall he did well. On the second goal he parried [Bent's shot] well, and it was unlucky because the ball came back to Bent, who is a great finisher.

on whether the players' belief has waned…
When you don't win, the belief goes and we lost three games in the Premier League. The belief is not stable no matter what your history is. It depends on the recent history of the team.

on whether he will sign anyone…
Certainly not. But you never know!

No players then

Power n Glory
29-01-2012, 08:18 PM
I think he needs to sign an attacking midfield player anyway because Wilshere is injured and Rosicky, Yossi and Arshavin could be off next season. If harm in getting players in now so we are prepared for the summer. It usually takes Wenger months to play them anyway. Look at Park and the Ox.

Syn
29-01-2012, 08:23 PM
I think he needs to sign an attacking midfield player anyway because Wilshere is injured and Rosicky, Yossi and Arshavin could be off next season. If harm in getting players in now so we are prepared for the summer. It usually takes Wenger months to play them anyway. Look at Park and the Ox.

We should be doing that with the manager position. It's possible that a promising young manager would agree to act as a no.2 for a season or so with a logical promotion to the top job. It might help our immediate performance too if he is able to spot the obvious tactical failings that Wenger cannot see.

Alpha
29-01-2012, 08:25 PM
Rosicky has always been a massively talented player. After his Dortmund move he was expected to be one of the world's best but injuries ruined a very promising career. Like him a lot though - always full of energy and a good scrapper. Good squad player.

Another one full of effort is Ramsey. But a big shame he has been playing quite poorly. I'm sure he's a player Arsenal fans desperately want to see succeed but it's just not happening for him so far. He's not as light on his feet as he was before his injury and takes too long on the ball. Agree with some others that he should take some time off and Arteta, Rosicky, Song should be the middle 3, and if Rosicky can't handle too many games, rotate with Benayoun.

I think Wenger has been unfair with Ramsey . The talent is there but he overplays him and put him under pressure . That's reaaly unfair for a young man having had a career threatning injury . He should rotate him whenever posible .

Olivier's xmas twist
29-01-2012, 08:25 PM
Just got back

My take on the game

Rosicky :bow:

Best player on the pitch and the one player to come out with any credit from a god awful first half. Simply terrible. Didnt create anything and conceded 2 pub team goals. We need a new back up keeper asap. Im not blaming Fab for either goal today but the nervousness created whenever he has the ball isnt good for the heart.

2nd half, we were awesome for half hour as every player stepped up to Rosickys level and we scored 3 goals. Havent seen the highlights so not sure if they were definite penalties or not. First looked it but the 2nd looked harsh. Dunne should have gone as well. Villa fans are cunts. At 2-1 or 2-2, they kept the ball and wouldnt give it back wasting time and then started crying when Arsenal fans did it at 3-2 up :lol:

Anyway we performed for 30 minutes of a 90 minute match which was good enough today to get a win but not much has changed. Wenger needs to go asap.

Koscielny :bow: Always been a fan and once again i have been proved right. What a run for the penalty

Mert is looking awesome as well. Great to see Sagna back although Coq had a decent game. Vermaelen looks settled at LB. Should keep him there when Gibbs is back and injured again and Santos is back.

Ramsey was awful as usual. Won the penalty though. Song was ok. Nothing special. Liked how he pressed at 3-2 up and cos of it we wont the ball back and won a well deserved round of applause.

Ox wasnt as influential as last week but couple of good runs and hes looking good for future games. Surely a first teamer ahead of Forehead now. Theo was brilliant in the 2nd half. Scares the shit out of opposition players and took on and beat players today and of course he scored. THEO THEO THEO

RVP did f all bar 2 well taken penalties.

Henry should have scored. Arteta probably had his best game for us as well

All in all, we won and off we go to lose in the North East in the next round

Don't let ollie see that

Syn
29-01-2012, 08:27 PM
I think Wenger has been unfair with Ramsey . The talent is there but he overplays him and put him under pressure . That's reaaly unfair for a young man having had a career threatning injury . He should rotate him whenever posible .

I agree that he overplays him. But there genuinely aren't many options in the squad right now. As PnG says we've needed a CM/central attacking midfielder. But we don't want to buy. So whaddaya gonna do?

Power n Glory
29-01-2012, 08:30 PM
I don't think he's been effected by the injury. If he's playing every game, it shows that he's over it and is always fit. I just think he needs a break and time to analyse his game. He's still young. Just think he's trying to be everywhere at once and is struggling a little with the pace of the game. He's always been a bit hit and miss. Bit of a headless chicken at the moment.

Olivier's xmas twist
29-01-2012, 08:31 PM

Well had jack or diaby had been fit rambo would nto have played many games we can't help injuries tbh. Aarron is better then yossi so will start. tbh id drop rambo and put AA in the middle of the park behind the front 3

Power n Glory
29-01-2012, 08:41 PM
We should be doing that with the manager position. It's possible that a promising young manager would agree to act as a no.2 for a season or so with a logical promotion to the top job. It might help our immediate performance too if he is able to spot the obvious tactical failings that Wenger cannot see.

Yeah, I would hope so. Wenger's career here is coming to an end. But I have the feeling that it will go on until his contract ends.

Niall_Quinn
29-01-2012, 08:50 PM
Think a lot of people are confusing hustle with good football. Prime example is Rosicky. He gives 100% to produce nothing. Certainly a better bet than Arshavin who doesn't even bother with the effort, but we are desperately short of a midfield man who can do the simple stuff in the final third.

Walcott was awful again. He can't beat a man, can't pass, can't shoot, doesn't find space, doesn't link the play, puts pressure on the team by constantly losing the ball, lacks even a hint of composure. Yet he'll almost accidentally do a couple of worthwhile things in a game and people will focus on that. Charging full pelt into space is exciting, looking up and crossing to the nearest defender deserve a kick in the arse.

Coquelin was Abonglahor's bitch until the latter had to go off. Reminded me of Clichy at his worst. But he was good going forward, so again people must be focusing on that.

Ramsey looked less tired than in the previous few games but he's such a careless player when he gets into the danger area.

Song is back to dwelling on the ball, maybe because the pair in front of him are so negative. He's stopped getting involved in the attacking play where he's previously been our most decisive passer.

Frankly none of these players should be anywhere near a starting role in a top four team. Then again, we aren't a top four team any more. No surprise there.

Ox and RvP are the only fit players on our squad that don't make the whole process of football look laboured and stale. Their touch, control, movement and intelligence is what marks them out. We need more players like these and a lot less mediocrities masquerading as quality players.

Good result today, but only because the dice rolled our way. Expected to see a far more disciplined and mature performance following on from the unacceptable displays earlier in the month. Instead we got this. Fine if we could do it every week, but that's not how probability works. When your whole gameplan is based on blind luck then the best you'll ever see is win some, lose some and a mid-table finish.

January was yet another chance to correct the problems in this team. Nothing will be done though. Wenger even said it would be a miracle if we signed somebody. Tells us everything we should expect when Wenger starts equating the simple act of competition with walking on water.

Cripps_orig
29-01-2012, 08:51 PM
Think a lot of people are confusing hustle with good football. Prime example is Rosicky. He gives 100% to produce nothing. Certainly a better bet than Arshavin who doesn't even bother with the effort, but we are desperately short of a midfield man who can do the simple stuff in the final third.

Walcott was awful again. He can't beat a man, can't pass, can't shoot, doesn't find space, doesn't link the play, puts pressure on the team by constantly losing the ball, lacks even a hint of composure. Yet he'll almost accidentally do a couple of worthwhile things in a game and people will focus on that. Charging full pelt into space is exciting, looking up and crossing to the nearest defender deserve a kick in the arse.

Coquelin was Abonglahor's bitch until the latter had to go off. Reminded me of Clichy at his worst. But he was good going forward, so again people must be focusing on that.

Ramsey looked less tired than in the previous few games but he's such a careless player when he gets into the danger area.

Song is back to dwelling on the ball, maybe because the pair in front of him are so negative. He's stopped getting involved in the attacking play where he's previously been our most decisive passer.

Frankly none of these players should be anywhere near a starting role in a top four team. Then again, we aren't a top four team any more. No surprise there.

Ox and RvP are the only fit players on our squad that don't make the whole process of football look laboured and stale. Their touch, control, movement and intelligence is what. Arks them out. We need more players like these and a lot less mediocrities masquerading as quality players.

Good result today, but only because the dice rolled our way. Expected to see a far more disciplined and mature performance following on from the unacceptable displays earlier in the month. Instead we got this. Fi e if we could do it every week, but that's not how probability works. When your whole gameplan is based on blind luck then the best you'll ever see is win some, lose some and a mid-table finish.

January was yet another chance to correct the problems in this team. Nothing will be done though. Wenger even said it would be a miracle if we signed somebody. Tells us everything we should expect when Wenger starts equating the simple act of competition with walking on water.:haha:

Should have known.

What match were you watching?

Niall_Quinn
29-01-2012, 08:55 PM

Agree with this. Ramsey may well end up paying with his career for our absolute refusal to invest in the team. To dump so much on the shoulders of a kid coming back from injury is negligence.

Power n Glory
29-01-2012, 08:56 PM
:haha:

Should have known.

I know. Far off the mark with that post.

Niall_Quinn
29-01-2012, 08:58 PM

Should have known.

The one that Theo stunk out. However, I'll ad it I was wrong about suggesting Theo couldn't score even if the ball hit him in the arse.

Cripps_orig
29-01-2012, 08:59 PM
I know. Far off the mark with that post.Its too be expected though.

Some posters will never give a player credit no matter what.

Ive had experience in dealing with these posters though with Zimm and Ade.

All we can do is :haha: and :pal:

So here goes

NQ :pal: :haha: :pal: :haha:

Niall_Quinn
29-01-2012, 09:02 PM
I know. Far off the mark with that post.

Depends what the mark is. I'd like to do more than come out on top of a comedy match, I'd actually like to see the team win this cup. If you seriuosly believe performances like that are the way to do it then good luck because that's all you are going into battle armed with. As a one off performance, sure, it was good fun. As a performance just a few hours before the latest transfer window shuts it was nothing more than a stark reminder of the shit that is yet to come.

Syn
29-01-2012, 09:05 PM

He does produce stuff - it was pointed out to you in the match thread with an example but you focus on someone else fucking up. Unless it ends in an Arsenal goal, the contribution doesn't exist for you. And you know what? I'd take players who get stuck in and sprint for 95 minutes over lazy, talented fuckers like Arshavin. Because I can live with trying and failing over not trying and failing. That's what I think being a fan is about. As long as the 11 players on the pitch are working hard, they deserve our support. Any failures are the fault of the manager alone.

Good result today, but only because the dice rolled our way. Expected to see a far more disciplined and mature performance following on from the unacceptable displays earlier in the month. Instead we got this. Fine if we could do it every week, but that's not how probability works. When your whole gameplan is based on blind luck then the best you'll ever see is win some, lose some and a mid-table finish.

There was absolutely nothing lucky about the performance or the result. We deserved to win and we did. We fought back very well from a position that didn't really reflect the balance of play. If I was a betting man, I'd bet that you can't bring yourself to say you called it wrong with the overreaction and bedwetting at HT and are looking to say we fluked it. I'm not saying we put in a brilliant performance. I'm saying we didn't need a brilliant performance to beat this Villa side. We played reasonably well. There were some obvious flaws. There were also some obvious encouraging points. Decent win.

Power n Glory
29-01-2012, 09:06 PM
Its too be expected though.

So here goes

The comment on Theo is off but the whole post is off. Song was right to curb his attacking runs eapecially when Kos, Verm and Coqulin are bombing forwards. It wasn't necessary for him to push up.

Totally wrong on Rosicky. One of the reasons why our play was so fluid and in general, I don't remember seeing too much sloppy play from anyone today. Just a bad assessment of the match in general. There was a huge difference in that performance compared to how we played in our last three games. Huge.

bignev
29-01-2012, 09:06 PM
Its too be expected though.

So here goes

But Walcott was terrible. Again. Like he always is.

Cripps_orig
29-01-2012, 09:09 PM
But Walcott was terrible. Again. Like he always is.Well no he wasnt and the reception he got when he was taken off pretty much proved that. Only on GW do people have ridiculous expectations of Theo. He had a good game today and was excellent in the 2nd half.

Cripps_orig
29-01-2012, 09:10 PM
The comment on Theo is off but the whole post is off. Song was right to curb his attacking runs eapecially when Kos, Verm and Coqulin are bombing forwards. It wasn't necessary for him to push up.

Totally wrong on Rosicky. One of the reasons why our play was so fluid and in general, I don't remember seeing too much sloppy play from anyone today. Just a bad assessment of the match in general. There was a huge difference in that performance compared to how we played in our last three games. Huge.Tbf, after the Theo comment, i didnt read the rest cos i was pretty sure it was up to NQs usual standard of WUMmery which is fine when there is an element of truth about it. However with him there isnt. With him, youre either the best player in the world or the shittest

Xhaka Can’t
29-01-2012, 09:14 PM
Well no he wasnt and the reception he got when he was taken off pretty much proved that. Only on GW do people have ridiculous expectations of Theo. He had a good game today and was excellent in the 2nd half.

It isn't ridiculous to not expect him to regularly run in to brick walls or look up before crossing a ball.

Olivier's xmas twist
29-01-2012, 09:15 PM
Well no he wasnt and the reception he got when he was taken off pretty much proved that. Only on GW do people have ridiculous expectations of Theo. He had a good game today and was excellent in the 2nd half.

No it proved the fans were happy for him to be off, well thats what i got from it, theo was poor but i feel he might be uselful to us in the cl his pace will scare milan tbh.

Power n Glory
29-01-2012, 09:18 PM
He does produce stuff - it was pointed out to you in the match thread with an example but you focus on someone else fucking up. Unless it ends in an Arsenal goal, the contribution doesn't exist for you. And you know what? I'd take players who get stuck in and sprint for 95 minutes over lazy, talented fuckers like Arshavin. Because I can live with trying and failing over not trying and failing. That's what I think being a fan is about. As long as the 11 players on the pitch are working hard, they deserve our support. Any failures are the fault of the manager alone.

There was absolutely nothing lucky about the performance or the result. We deserved to win and we did. We fought back very well from a position that didn't really reflect the balance of play. If I was a betting man, I'd bet that you can't bring yourself to say you called it wrong with the overreaction and bedwetting at HT and are looking to say we fluked it. I'm not saying we put in a brilliant performance. I'm saying we didn't need a brilliant performance to beat this Villa side. We played reasonably well. There were some obvious flaws. There were also some obvious encouraging points. Decent win.

I was left scratching my head at the end of the first half. Couldn't believe we were two goals down and I thought we were playing very well. Rosicky was doing the simple things and it wasn't as if he was getting caught in possession. If a through ball in the final third gets blocked off or one of our players fails to control the ball...that isn't sloppy play. Sometimes it boils down to good defending.

Thought it was a fluid performance from the players. There wasn't many bad misses or cock ups like we usually see. Bad defending apart, but a better performance. In our last fee games our possession play has been poor and teams have out fought us. Outplayed us. Didn't happen today and we showed some character to fight back to win that game. Heads could have easily sunk, especially after getting booed off at half time.

Cripps_orig
29-01-2012, 09:18 PM
No it proved the fans were happy for him to be off, well thats what i got from it, theo was poor but i feel he might be uselful to us in the cl his pace will scare milan tbh.I was there and that wasnt the case at all

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
29-01-2012, 09:20 PM
Only on GW do people have ridiculous expectations of Theo..

Yeah, I mean expecting a professional footballer with the speed and acceleration theo has to take on a player instead of running straight into him is very high expectations

Niall_Quinn
29-01-2012, 09:20 PM

You'd lose your money. I'm pissed because we needed players in this window to stand a chance of rescuing this season. Today showed us why. I'll be deluded again come Feb 1 but for now I'm calling it without the tinted specs. I've already talked about the encouraging points. RvP and Ox are the real deal. The rest? Some of them are real triers, can't take that away from them. But this is big boy football and the fate of this team is as inevitable as it is depressing.

Niall_Quinn
29-01-2012, 09:23 PM

Totally wrong on Rosicky. One of the reasons why our play was so fluid and in general, I don't remember seeing too much sloppy play from anyone today. Just a bad assessment of the match in general. There was a huge difference in that performance compared to how we played in our last three games. Huge.

In your opinion. You're not forgetting that bit are you?

Ollie the Optimist
29-01-2012, 09:25 PM
to a degree i agree with NQ, dont think theo was particuarly great today, there were times were he fluffed chances, can think of one when he was through in first half, didnt always beat his man and put in some crap crosses. but neither do i think he was that bad, he did help a lot and some of his play was good. overall i would give 6.5 today.

and another note, the fans that booed arshavins name before kick off when teams read out, are cunts and can fuck off. he is useless and should be got rid but booing him before the match. joke

Olivier's xmas twist
29-01-2012, 09:30 PM
to a degree i agree with NQ, dont think theo was particuarly great today, there were times were he fluffed chances, can think of one when he was through in first half, didnt always beat his man and put in some crap crosses. but neither do i think he was that bad, he did help a lot and some of his play was good. overall i would give 6.5 today.

and another note, the fans that booed arshavins name before kick off when teams read out, are cunts and can fuck off. he is useless and should be got rid but booing him before the match. joke

really they were booing him ?

Cripps_orig
29-01-2012, 09:31 PM
No they werent

Power n Glory
29-01-2012, 09:34 PM
Yeah, I mean expecting a professional footballer with the speed and acceleration theo has to take on a player instead of running straight into him is very high expectations

But there is no mention of when he beats his man like he did when scoring that goal. It was lucky, but created from a tight situation and Theo needs to learn to drive into the box like that more often because defenders are scared to too touch him. He had a decent game today. No real howlers besides that rushed shot when approaching goal. Lacked composure. Other than that, he was good. His first touch and link up play is improving. He's learning to get out of tight situations when marked closely.

Ollie the Optimist
29-01-2012, 09:37 PM
really they were booing him ?

yep mate was at the game and confirmed it and loads of people talking about it elsewhere.

Xhaka Can’t
Theo's goal was fortunate, but in that instance he created his own luck through the run into the box. It created confusion and panic in the Villa defence.

We just don't get enough of this assertive play from Theo.

Injury Time
He scores with his arse
He scores with his aaaaaaaaarse
Theo Walcott he scores with his arse

I feel sorry for the villa fans they out shat us

Power n Glory
29-01-2012, 09:40 PM
In your opinion. You're not forgetting that bit are you?

Yep, it's my opinion but I don't think alone in what I'm saying. The Roscky assessment is well off and I don't think we player anywhere near as bad as I've seen us play, especially when I think of the Fulham and Swansea games.

We hardly won a tackle, couldn't string a few passes together, hardly threatend their goal. Different performance today.

Özim
29-01-2012, 09:41 PM

Totally agree

Grebbo
29-01-2012, 09:45 PM
:scarf:

Great second half.

Wenger really, really needed that.

Niall_Quinn
29-01-2012, 09:53 PM
yep mate was at the game and confirmed it and loads of people talking about it elsewhere.

Counterproductive, they're shooting themselves in the arse. Meanwhile Arshavin will still draw a pay cheque but his chances of earning it will be even lower if he feels the game is already over. He's almost certainly gone in the summer. No need to make it acrimonious.

Cripps_orig
29-01-2012, 10:04 PM
Aston Villa manager Alex McLeish has encouraged the FA to investigate an incident involving Arsenal striker Robin van Persie during the FA Cup fourth round clash at the Emirates Stadium.

Arsene Wenger's side came from two down to win 3-2 on Sunday evening, thanks to a penalty brace from the Dutch international and a fortunate Theo Walcott goal.

In a controversial incident in the second-half, the Scot believed Carlos Cuellar was caught in the face by Van Persie's elbow, but the referee Michael Jones did not award a foul.

He told reporters: "I thought it was a clear elbow, but the referee did not seem to think there was anything in it.

"I thought he put the elbow towards Carlos' face. The big man is not a guy to lie down; he got up pretty quickly."

McLeish suggested the FA should look at the alleged elbow, adding: "Yes, if it was an elbow in the face - look at my face and my nose is a result of elbows all my career. It is something which is dangerous.

"I never mentioned it to the referee. I saw it in real time.

"I don't like to point the finger at players, but it has happened to mine enough times."

Villa ended the first-half with a shock lead, courtesy of goals from Richard Dunne and Darren Bent, before two Van Persie and Walcott swayed the game back in the hosts' favour.

The 53-year old thought his men had done enough to secure victory in the first period alone, and was understandably disheartened by their failure to hold on to the victory.

"I am very disappointed we did not see it out and it is a missed opportunity," he said.

"The fans will be gutted at seeing us let that lead slip away.

"I said to the lads at half-time that I would like to be congratulating them at full-time, because it was an international performance in the first half.

"The penalty gave them a huge lift, and we looked a bit leggy, but we went right to the end and could even have had an equaliser with a late couple of chances, but it was not to be.

"We have to learn from this and try to obtain that winning mentality."

The loss means that Villa miss out on a fifth round spot, with the Gunners facing an away trip to the winner of Sunderland and Middlesbrough's replay.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2900/fa-cup/2012/01/29/2873389/aston-villa-boss-alex-mcleish-encourages-fa-to-investigate-clear-

:rolleyes:

Niall_Quinn
29-01-2012, 10:11 PM
http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2900/fa-cup/2012/01/29/2873389/aston-villa-boss-alex-mcleish-encourages-fa-to-investigate-clear-

:rolleyes:

When he says he doesn't like to point the finger, I guess it means he really loves to point the finger. He can't even be honest with himself, the poor cunt. Hopefully this incident will be treated in the same way the b,atant Rooney dive was treated, laughed off and brushed under the carpet. If Robin really did elbow him, well good. Another great shot from RvP and fuck off MacLeish you whining cunt. Nothing to say about Dunne? Or some of the wild challenges put in on Ramsey? FFS Alex, it's Arsenal. We don't like it up us, do we mate? Don't tell me your lot were beaten up by the girls at Arsenal. Something better kept quiet rather than crowed.

tigerthesmurf85
29-01-2012, 10:15 PM
Is it just me or was the elbow really nothing?

Niall_Quinn
29-01-2012, 10:16 PM
Is it just me or was the elbow really nothing?

That wouldn't have any bearing on a good old press lynching.

Fats
29-01-2012, 10:31 PM
So fucked off to hear so many people say we should not have been losing first half because it was all us.

Totally correct of course when you look at posession stats. Totally incorrect of course that that means anything in a game where goals hold the result.

Wake up ffs

We were lucky today, bloody lucky and that about sums it up. Still the same problems not being addressed. We still will not win anything under this manager, he simply makes too many errors tactically.

GP
29-01-2012, 10:36 PM
We deserved to win and we did. Nothing lucky about that.

tigerthesmurf85
29-01-2012, 10:38 PM
That wouldn't have any bearing on a good old press lynching.

Yeah I know. The commentators were saying how he was lucky to be on the pitch but I honestly thought it was nothing

Ollie the Optimist
29-01-2012, 10:39 PM
Yeah I know. The commentators were saying how he was lucky to be on the pitch but I honestly thought it was nothing

funny how rvp was lucky to be on the pitch but no mention of dunne

tigerthesmurf85
29-01-2012, 10:42 PM
Truedat. Was so ridiculous how Dunne wasn't booked for that tackle. Definitely not a red but a more clearly yellow you'll never see.

Cripps_orig
29-01-2012, 10:43 PM
Truedat. Was so ridiculous how Dunne wasn't booked for that tackle. Definitely not a red but a more clearly yellow you'll never see.Which tackle?

For the penalty?

tigerthesmurf85
29-01-2012, 10:44 PM
Yeah.

tigerthesmurf85
29-01-2012, 10:45 PM
Was impressed by our high pressing in the second half. Something I haven't seen us do before but definitely worked.

Cripps_orig
29-01-2012, 10:46 PM
Should have been a yellow. Nothing more.

But seeing as he was already on a yellow, it would have been red so he should have been off

As for RVPs elbow, didnt see it

tigerthesmurf85
29-01-2012, 10:47 PM
Probably because it was nothing.

Cripps_orig
29-01-2012, 10:50 PM
Highlights are on. We're up first.

Lets see if they show it

tigerthesmurf85
29-01-2012, 10:53 PM
A player has to mark the short corner... I learnt that in under 11s.

tigerthesmurf85
29-01-2012, 10:53 PM
Ach do you think Bent's goal was bad defending?

Cripps_orig
29-01-2012, 10:54 PM
Ach do you think Bent's goal was bad defending?Not really

Caught on the break. Fab was unlucky.

Just one of those goals.

tigerthesmurf85
29-01-2012, 10:55 PM
I agree. One of the hardest things is defending a fast break like that.

Cripps_orig
29-01-2012, 10:58 PM
And they showed the elbow...

Nothing in it

tigerthesmurf85
29-01-2012, 10:58 PM
More of a stroke with the elbow.

tigerthesmurf85
29-01-2012, 11:00 PM
Lol they're freezing their asses off on the pitch.

Boss
30-01-2012, 07:33 AM
Sluggish in the first half, brilliant for that little spell in the second half and composed towards the end. Fully deserved to win IMHO.

Walcott, Chamberlain, Rosicky, Van Persie were top class yesterday (VP only because of the penalties, but still). Very impressed with our second half pressuring and forcing them into errors, why can't we play like that all the time?

selassie
30-01-2012, 09:36 AM
Yep I thought that spell in the 2nd half where we went from 2 down to 3-2 up was probably the best football we've played for quite some time. Funnily enough, I thought we were actually OK first half too...just a bit one paced and sluggish.

Team showed a lot of character yesterday, hopefully it's the start of something?

IBK
30-01-2012, 10:06 AM

:gp: Post of the week, for me. Surprisingly, if Wenger decides to go (but only if he does), he just might agree to this.

Ollie the Optimist
30-01-2012, 06:31 PM
The referee has confirmed he saw the incident involving Robin Van Persie and therefore the Arsenal forward faces no further action. from the fa twitter feed.

mcliesh :pal: fuck off you moaning cunt

Niall_Quinn
30-01-2012, 07:37 PM
from the fa twitter feed.

mcliesh :pal: fuck off you moaning cunt

What a shame for the ESPN lads, their team lost and they don't even have the consolation of taking it out on RvP.

Olivier's xmas twist
31-01-2012, 09:27 AM
he Football Association will not look any further into an incident involving Robin van Persie during Arsenal's FA Cup tie against Aston Villa.

Aston Villa boss Alex McLeish called for the Football Association to take retrospective action against Van Persie for what he claimed was an elbow on Spanish defender Carlos Cuellar.

However, match referee Mike Jones has told the FA he saw the incident and decided it was not worthy of punishment.

Van Persie scored twice from the penalty spot at Emirates Stadium as the Gunners came from behind to beat Villa 3-2 and book a place in the last 16, where they will face either Middlesbrough or Sunderland.

The Dutch striker has been in inspirational form for Arsenal all season and news that the FA will take no further action will please manager Arsene Wenger, even if McLeish may not agree.

McLeish said on Sunday, following his side's defeat: "I thought it was a clear elbow, but the referee did not seem to think there was anything in it.

"Would I like the FA to look at it? Yes, if it was an elbow in the face - look at my nose, it is a result of elbows all my career. It is something which is dangerous.

"I never mentioned it to the referee. I saw it in real time.

"I don't like to point the finger at players, but it has happened to mine enough times."

Oh feck off Mcliesh, shame you never said the same thing wehen 1 of your scummy players broke Eduardo's leg. And people say only Wenger moan like this. Alex should be more worried about why from 2-0 up his team were woeful and lost the game.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11670/7466766/RVP-to-face-no-FA-action

Letters
31-01-2012, 09:39 AM
Oh feck off Mcliesh

That.

I saw the highlights and they showed the incident. It was nothing.

Coney
31-01-2012, 10:11 AM
That.

I saw the highlights and they showed the incident. It was nothing.

Even if it was something, McLiesh complaining about someone else being physical is a joke.

Japan Shaking All Over
31-01-2012, 10:30 AM
Villa fan at work saying it was obvious but does admit Dunne should have walked......McLeish is a wanker and most Villa fans fucking hate him.....what say you Rors?