PDA

View Full Version : 4th place or FA Cup?

tigerthesmurf85
29-01-2012, 10:51 PM
If you could take winning the FA Cup and finishing outside the top 4 or finishing 4th what would you choose?

GP
29-01-2012, 10:52 PM
Both represent failure

Xhaka Can’t
29-01-2012, 10:53 PM
Both represent failure

So does your face.

GP
29-01-2012, 10:54 PM
So does your face.

How appropriate, you fight like a cow.

tigerthesmurf85
29-01-2012, 10:54 PM
FA Cup isn't failure. For me it has to be winning a trophy.

Olivier's xmas twist
30-01-2012, 09:07 AM
FA Cup isn't failure. For me it has to be winning a trophy.

Still a faliure even if we win the fa cup tbh, if things don't change that much over summer, winning the league is sucess tbh.

selassie
30-01-2012, 09:34 AM
*Sigh*

Probably the FA Cup, 4th place seems to represent everything that is wrong with the club. Saying that, getting in CL every season is a bonus, though I have to admit it's becoming a bit tedious these days as we have pretty much no chance of winning it.

tigerthesmurf85
30-01-2012, 10:08 AM
I'm sick of trying our hardest to finish 4th. It's not exactly something worth celebrating. FA Cup would be.

Özim
30-01-2012, 10:41 AM
FA Cup, 4th place is meaningless.

Letters
30-01-2012, 10:43 AM
I'm sick of trying our hardest to finish 4th. It's not exactly something worth celebrating. FA Cup would be.

:gp:

Olivier's xmas twist
30-01-2012, 10:55 AM
FA Cup, 4th place is meaningless.

Rubbish to say 4th play is meaningless tell that to any of tthe top 4, however an fa cup win would be nice

Özim
30-01-2012, 10:59 AM
Rubbish to say 4th play is meaningless tell that to any of tthe top 4, however an fa cup win would be nice
It's meaningless unless all you care about is money.

We're not good enough to win the CL (we have no chance actually, not even an outside one), moreover we shouldn't be in it, as has been discussed it's a disgrace 3nd and even 4th place teams can get in (ideally should be Champions only). Making up the numbers really isn't enjoyable.

IMO 4th place is meaningless and no achievement.

Marc Overmars
30-01-2012, 11:03 AM
FA Cup.

If we do miss out on 4th it will be very tight, it's not like we're a million miles away. With a bit of work in the summer, the squad and fans buoyd by a cup win, we should be able to challenge for 4th next year.

Of course this is academic though seeing as we won't win the cup or finish 4th.

IBK
30-01-2012, 11:07 AM
Can't decide. FA Cup would be great but would it convince players to join us if we are not in the CL?

Olivier's xmas twist
30-01-2012, 11:08 AM
It's meaningless unless all you care about is money.

We're not good enough to win the CL (we have no chance actually, not even an outside one), moreover we shouldn't be in it, as has been discussed it's a disgrace 3nd and even 4th place teams can get in (ideally should be Champions only). Making up the numbers really isn't enjoyable.

IMO 4th place is meaningless and no achievement.

Rubbish thats why we nearly beat barca in the final in 06 and would have won it had henry not fluffed his lines. or do you mean currently not good enough to win it, i think were good enough to win it on our day and if we got a good drawnothing could stop us.

I agree a cup would be nice though. as long as the rules say we can be in it id love us to be in it.

Marc Overmars
30-01-2012, 11:09 AM
Can't decide. FA Cup would be great but would it convince players to join us if we are not in the CL?

That would only be a problem if we actually went after top players.

Olivier's xmas twist
30-01-2012, 11:15 AM
That would only be a problem if we actually went after top players.

was going to say this

Özim
30-01-2012, 11:22 AM
Rubbish thats why we nearly beat barca in the final in 06 and would have won it had henry not fluffed his lines. or do you mean currently not good enough to win it, i think were good enough to win it on our day and if we got a good drawnothing could stop us.

I agree a cup would be nice though. as long as the rules say we can be in it id love us to be in it.
2006? That's almost 6 years ago, I meant presently, like I said we have no chance there's not enough quality and we don't have enough discipline to grind out results and get lucky either.

Fats
30-01-2012, 11:35 AM

We didnt win it because we were not good enough in 06. Barca were by far the better team then too. Henry missed a good chance but the fact is we hardly created anything. Plus it was 6 years ago when we had a better team than the dross we have now.

I have simply had enough of these trolls at our club and am completely negative until something changes.

If we get 4th then we get 25 million, so what?, we wont spend it so whats the fucking point and we sure as hell cant win it!!!.

If we win a cup Wenger gets all up in our faces saying he knew we could win something with this team blah blah blah and the huge cracks in the team are once again papered over. Winning a cup has an element of luck of the draw and it does not represent the best team in all cases.

Challenging for the prem is what I want, I know winning it is probably impossible with the stupid cheating amount of money that floats around.

I would even go with staying 4th as Man u, Man City and the chavs have that money. At least that represents consistency.

Grebbo
30-01-2012, 11:51 AM
4th place.

RVP will leave without it, maybe Feo as well (probably just as he hits a run of form).

Seeing Spurs in the Champs Lge and not us is going to be shit.

GP
30-01-2012, 11:57 AM
A trophy would be nice of course, but seeing us slip back in the league places would be counter-productive.

Difficult one

Coney
30-01-2012, 12:00 PM
If we get 4th then we get 25 million, so what?, we wont spend it so whats the fucking point

I was uncertain about which to vote for till I saw this bit. Thinking long term, I want us to win the CL. However, we won't unless we are going to spend on a couple of players. We don't need to buy a whole squad - 2 key players would make us serious contenders in all competitions, but as you say, until we are prepared to spend it (and kick out some of the failed potential stars) then getting extra revenue does not turn me on.

Winning the FA Cup would mean that we had now got a squad who knows what a trophy looks like and knows it is possible to see it through and win things (even if you do have to grind out a return from 0-2 down and a jeering growd by 2 penalties and a jammy goal - I think I know how Frank Lampard feels now).

Olivier's xmas twist
30-01-2012, 12:02 PM
4th place.

RVP will leave without it, maybe Feo as well (probably just as he hits a run of form).

Seeing Spurs in the Champs Lge and not us is going to be shit.

RVP could still leave whatever happens tbh.

Coney
30-01-2012, 12:11 PM
If the whole of the Arsenal is just geared to keeping RvP, then we've lost the plot.

He is a great player and I hope he stays. But if we were to sell him and then amaze everyone by actually buying 2 or 3 proven strikers (selling the dross to help pay for them) then we would probably be better off overall.

Fats
30-01-2012, 12:44 PM
RVP could still leave whatever happens tbh.

If RVP plays for us next season I will be absolutely shocked!!!!