PDA

View Full Version : the milan pitch? cheating or just using home advantage?

Ollie the Optimist
16-02-2012, 11:51 AM
wanted to discuss this in a proper thread as so many comments in match reaction i cant see much about this pitch. now with home advantage i know pitches are doctored to some extent and thats fine by me, watering it so it runs faster cos that suits your style etc is ok and fair play imo but relaying a pitch in the middle to suit your team while making the wings sandpits surely is too far. i mean with the home game we could make the wings perfect and make the middle a pile of shit to nulifiy milan and help us but to me thats cheating.

wenger was right yesterday, the pitch was a disgrace just like our performance. thought sagna and gibbs lookedl ike they were running through sand and couldnt actually get up to speed and it might have just been my tele but i thought when the ball went wide it slowed down and when from wide to middle it sped up, it really did feel like two surfaces adn the players couldnt get used to the two surfaces.

was the milan pitch cheating or was it just them using home advantage? imo i think its cheating, pitches can be made wetter or dryer to suit the home club and thats fine, like in cricket where pitches can be made for spinners or harder bounce for bowlers and i accept that cos one side will do to suit them and then the other do it back but its not excessievly overboard and when it is, they get punished.

pitch didnt help us lose last night, the players did that themselves but if the middle was on the wings to, we might have actually got a goal cos the wingers might have done something as the ball might have actually run allwong them to use pace

Xhaka Can’t
16-02-2012, 12:00 PM
We got spanked plain and simple. The pitch was shit, but we played like we had no business being on it.

Ollie the Optimist
16-02-2012, 12:02 PM
We got spanked plain and simple. The pitch was shit, but we played like we had no business being on it.

i know that, i know we deserved fuck all but it was more a general point as well, can clubs do what milan did to stop others playing.

Kano
16-02-2012, 12:02 PM
it was a brand new pitch, and as both teams had to face the same issues, no one had an advantage.

when you pitch up at places in the prem, like sunderland, and there are more holes than patches of grass, that is a disgrace.

McNamara That Ghost...
16-02-2012, 12:04 PM
The pitch would've been poor anyway, they have two teams playing at home there and no corners in the ground for the air to filter in from. Anyway, for their third goal we were annhilated on the wing.

LDG
16-02-2012, 12:05 PM
Lucky we have more than one way of playing isn't it.....oh wait....

Olivier's xmas twist
16-02-2012, 12:08 PM
Them being at home, was home advantage us being so shite was a bonus to them.

Coney
16-02-2012, 12:33 PM
Them being at home, was home advantage us being so shite was a bonus to them.

Even Wenger didn't blame the pitch and said that we were shite in all areas.

First time I've noticed him say that so plainly.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
16-02-2012, 12:35 PM
you just knew the team would underperform then use the pitch as a part excuse.

almost as if they knew they'd get off scotch free cause the pitch could always be blamed.

as for the pitch itself, yes what an absolute shithole but would man utd have felt sorry for themselves? no. they would have kept their head up and played milan at their own game through the middle.

we of course, cant do that because our midfield is too lightweight compared to theirs. who's faults that? wengers.

wenger out.

Marc Overmars
16-02-2012, 12:36 PM
Milan attacked us well enough down the wings at certain points in the game, so I don't think it played much of a part really. Although it was clearly in a bad state with the ball bobbling a lot.

We were just terrible really.

Syn
16-02-2012, 12:39 PM
Yeah, it was a dick move by them. No question.

Olivier's xmas twist
16-02-2012, 12:42 PM
Even Wenger didn't blame the pitch and said that we were shite in all areas.

First time I've noticed him say that so plainly.

Yep thought he'd use it as an excuse and say how they got a pen which never was, a lucky goal and offside one etc. He never so kudos to him.

Marc Overmars
16-02-2012, 12:52 PM
Even WUMger couldn't try and polish that turd of a performance.

Coney
16-02-2012, 01:00 PM
Even WUMger couldn't try and polish that turd of a performance.

It's such a shame really, because another 2% and we would have crushed them 0-5. :good:

Grebbo
16-02-2012, 01:26 PM
With our handbrake and that pitch we had no chance.

Coney
16-02-2012, 01:43 PM
With our handbrake and that pitch we had no chance.

I thought the handbrake showed great spirit.

Grebbo
16-02-2012, 02:19 PM
Man of the Match for sure.

Cripps_orig
16-02-2012, 07:45 PM
Pitch was the same for both teams

Coney
16-02-2012, 08:25 PM

No - the pitch was Italian grass and was biased towards Milan.

AKBapologist
17-02-2012, 12:05 AM
I think after what Bale did to them last season (or was it the other milan?), destroying wing play and making the ball move as slow as possible on the ground could only benefit the team with the oldest legs. Didn't help with injuries either.

But to be fair, we were also as shit as the pitch.

Cripps_orig
17-02-2012, 12:08 AM
The pointless hat trick in a 4-3 defeat?

Was v Inter