PDA

View Full Version : Who do we want?

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
18-02-2012, 08:08 PM
With the exception of a few fanatics most sensible level-headed fans believe it's time for Wenger to bugger off (of course they want the board to go as well, but realistically they'd be harder to extricate from the club)

The question is not who we don't want it's who we want in the club

Let's assess some of our options:

Pep Guardiola - Can't see why he'd want to come to us to be honest, plus more of a first team coach than a manager though perhaps not a bad thing with Wenger taking on far too much control.

Joachim Low - Has turned Germany into a dynamic eye-catching unit, that counter with deadly efficiency. Has not been tested as a club manager though.

Jurgen Klopp - Has excelled on turning Dortmund into the biggest threat to Bayern Munich's domestic dominance on a shoestring budget, no doubt even in our current state Arsenal would be a step up for him.

Dragan Stoijkovic - Won the league with Arsene Wenger's former club Nagoya Grampus Eight and is Wenger's favourite to succeed him, for that reason alone should probably be discounted.

Louis Van Gaal - Has excellent pedigree, has won silverware with every club he's managed and would be an excellent short term option at the very least

Laurent Blanc - Possibility of a job swap between Wenger and Les Bleus manager after Euro 2012

Other possibilities

Didier Deschamps - Not exactly thriving with Marseille currently
Guus Hiddink - Yesterday agreed to become manager of Anzhi Makhachkala, so probably rules him out
Fabio Capello - I think he actually hates this country plus he's damaged goods now
Jose Mourinho - Get fucked

Or a promotion from within, Steve Bould has been mooted.

Olivier's xmas twist
18-02-2012, 08:11 PM
Pep guardiola - Says he wants to leave Barca for a new Challenge, well coming here will really be a challenge.

Gubby Allen
18-02-2012, 08:15 PM
Is this a serious thread or will it degenerate into suggestions of Peter Sissons, Jimmy Krankee and the bloke who played the second Joey in Bread by the third page?

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
18-02-2012, 08:17 PM
Is this a serious thread or will it degenerate into suggestions of Peter Sissons, Jimmy Krankee and the bloke who played the second Joey in Bread by the third page?

Bit of a bit of b most likely

Munchies
18-02-2012, 08:18 PM
I wouldn't mind the Brendan Rodgers at the moment, anyone would be better than what we currently have !

Niall_Quinn
18-02-2012, 08:21 PM
Who is the biggest yes man in football? Put you money on him if Wenger goes.

To find out what's in store for this club we need to know how much Kronke expects to achieve on his investment, which basically means identifying undervalued assets and figuring out if a budget is available for an incoming manager to build a team. If Stan is happy getting out with a hundred mill, maybe a new manager would stand a slim chance. But if Stan is after a bigger pay day, like the last lot, nobody will come here for any reason other than to take the pay cheque and play ball. In the boardroom, I mean. Obviously not on the pitch.

Dennis Bendtner
18-02-2012, 08:22 PM

To find out what's in store for this club we need to know how much Kronke expects to achieve on his investment, which basically means identifying undervalued assets and figuring out if a budget is available for an incoming manager to build a team. If Stan is happy getting out with a hundred mill, maybe a new manager would stand a slim chance. But if Stan is after a bigger pay day, like the last lot, nobody will come here for any reason other than to take the pay cheque and play ball. In the boardroom, I mean. Obviously not on the pitch.

:gp:

Olivier's xmas twist
18-02-2012, 08:26 PM

This, Stan won't do nout while he don't own the whole club though, i agree we need someone to say what way the club is going in so we all know and can get behind it.

Gubby Allen
18-02-2012, 08:35 PM
The problem with this "who do you replace him with" nonsense is that if your answer in 1996 was Arsene Wenger, you'd have been sniggered at, so he doesn't need to be a superstar, abeit Guardiola would be great & you wouldn't turn down Mourinho. Both of those two had to start slowly, I'm not sure of Louw's background but he's made a name for himself pretty quickly. Redknapp has got Spurs better than us & playing better football and is a name (probably rightly) - we'd never have considered

Who's to say Stojkovic or Remi Garde say, couldn't come in & be a success? Brendan Rogers has done a phenomenal job, Brian McDermott's an ex player, one of the only successes we have, works wonders at Reading, or even Steve Bould.

Somewhere, in the 82 odd English clubs, I'm convinced there is a manager who could successfully manage a top 4 side as well as Wenger, AVB, Scolari, Benitez, Ancelotti, Dalgliesh - it's just finding them - and convincing a load of millionaire prima-donnas, that they can be just as good.

You're not going to turn down Pep or Mourinho for them but they'd be a good as plenty of other big names.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
18-02-2012, 08:40 PM
My personal choice would be Jurgen Klopp, and yes i would turn down Mourinho...i hate the man, i hate the way his teams (Real Madrid aside as he can't get away with it there) strangle the life out of a game and reduce it to a tawdry spectacle. I hate the way he is not satisfied without upsetting other people seemingly for no reason either.he has no respect for anything or anyone.

The problem with this "who do you replace him with" nonsense is that if your answer in 1996 was Arsene Wenger, you'd have been sniggered at, so he doesn't need to be a superstar, abeit Guardiola would be great & you wouldn't turn down Mourinho. Both of those two had to start slowly, I'm not sure of Louw's background but he's made a name for himself pretty quickly. Redknapp has got Spurs better than us & playing better football and is a name (probably rightly) - we'd never have considered

Who's to say Stojkovic or Remi Garde say, couldn't come in & be a success? Brendan Rogers has done a phenomenal job, Brian McDermott's an ex player, one of the only successes we have, works wonders at Reading, or even Steve Bould.

Somewhere, in the 82 odd English clubs, I'm convinced there is a manager who could successfully manage a top 4 side as well as Wenger, AVB, Scolari, Benitez, Ancelotti, Dalgliesh - it's just finding them - and convincing a load of millionaire prima-donnas, that they can be just as good.

You're not going to turn down Pep or Mourinho for them but they'd be a good as plenty of other big names.

Cripps_orig
18-02-2012, 08:51 PM
Jose Mourinho

Will never happen but hes probably the only man who can turn us around

Showed his defensive know how whilst at Chelsea, brilliant at Inter and now playing the best football in the business with Real

milla
18-02-2012, 08:57 PM
My personal choice would be Jurgen Klopp, and yes i would turn down Mourinho...i hate the man, i hate the way his teams (Real Madrid aside as he can't get away with it there) strangle the life out of a game and reduce it to a tawdry spectacle. I hate the way he is not satisfied without upsetting other people seemingly for no reason either.he has no respect for anything or anyone.

Jurgen Klopp would be my first choice as well. We have a lot of interesting young talents which he could build into an efficient winning team. What he did with Dortmund is brilliant. :coffee:

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
18-02-2012, 08:59 PM
Jose Mourinho

Showed his defensive know how whilst at Chelsea, brilliant at Inter and now playing the best football in the business with Real

Playing the best football with Real Madrid only because he has to...

He is a managerial tourist, whose only interest is in adding to his admittedly impressive CV

Olivier's xmas twist
18-02-2012, 08:59 PM
Jose Mourinho

We already have enough ego tripping guys at this club we don't need another 1.

Özim
18-02-2012, 09:03 PM
Mourinho, as has been said it will never happen but he'd get the team playing as a unit and would turn us into a winning team again.

GP
18-02-2012, 09:09 PM
Help us Obi-Wan Capello, you're our only hope.

Özim
18-02-2012, 09:11 PM
He is deffo not the right man to the team out of this mess, whilst he may win etc, Only cares about himself not the players nad will bring the club to shame in a few years which e have had enough off.

best thing the the board will ever do not bringing this guy to the club.
He's already said he wants to return to England and build a dynasty at his next club so he won't be leaving anytime soon. Moreover you say he only cares about himself and yet the Chelsea players still text him (as was pointed out earlier in the week).

In addition Chelsea and Inter fans love him, says a lot for me, if he came here and did what he's done with other clubs everyone would be behind him and would forget that they use to hate him, that's what happens in football.

Olivier's xmas twist
18-02-2012, 09:12 PM
He's already said he wants to return to England and build a dynasty at his next club so he won't be leaving anytime soon. Moreover you say he only cares about himself and yet the Chelsea players still text him (as was pointed out earlier in the week).

Moreover Chelsea and Inter fans love him, says a lot for me.

Then he should feck off back to chelsea if they love him so much, as long as its not at Arsenal its all good.

Fats
18-02-2012, 09:14 PM
I would want Pep first Maureen second.

Both these managers would not put up with the poor attitude of our players and would turn the support on the board if they did not get what they need to build the team.

Easy really, just go get em we apparently have the money.

alexander
18-02-2012, 09:14 PM
He is deffo not the right man to the team out of this mess, whilst he may win etc, Only cares about himself not the players nad will bring the club to shame in a few years which e have had enough off.

best thing the the board will ever do not bringing this guy to the club.

so? we dont care about the players either. "whilst he may win etc" what the hell more do you want, because thats all I want. I dont give a shit if he only cares for himself, winning is winning. I dont care if we are run by the biggest criminal in the world, with the biggest wanker in the world as manager, and a right bunch of tossers as players, I want to win.
Its no longer a fair playing field, with the massive money a city etc, so whats the point in running the club `the right way`? Run it to win.

Olivier's xmas twist
18-02-2012, 09:17 PM
so? we dont care about the players either. "whilst he may win etc" what the hell more do you want, because thats all I want. I dont give a shit if he only cares for himself, winning is winning. I dont care if we are run by the biggest criminal in the world, with the biggest wanker in the world as manager, and a right bunch of tossers as players, I want to win.
Its no longer a fair playing field, with the massive money a city etc, so whats the point in running the club `the right way`? Run it to win.

There is more problems at this club then winning a trophy, winning things will not solve the shite problems still at the club and getting in a manger who will make matters worse won't help either.

alexander
18-02-2012, 09:20 PM
There is more problems at this club then winning a trophy, winning things will not solve the shite problems still at the club and getting in a manger who will make matters worse won't help either.

Winning matches would be a start. I also think you are wrong thinking Mour would make things worse. Proven winner, and still winning. More than Wengers doing.

Marc Overmars
18-02-2012, 09:21 PM
Pep.

Olivier's xmas twist
18-02-2012, 09:22 PM
Winning matches would be a start. I also think you are wrong thinking Mour would make things worse. Proven winner, and still winning. More than Wengers doing.

So you thinking winning the fa cup would have solved all our problems then, well it must do its winnig and thats all that matters right.

selassie
18-02-2012, 09:22 PM
Jurgen Klopp

milla
18-02-2012, 09:24 PM
Jurgen Klopp

That's 3 now. I cant believe some GWers are arguing over Mourinho, idiots. :coffee:

alexander
18-02-2012, 09:25 PM
So you thinking winning the fa cup would have solved all our problems then, well it must do its winnig and thats all that matters right.

Where did I say it would solve our problems?

Winning breeds confidence. Which we are lacking.

And yes, winning is all that matters in sport.

Olivier's xmas twist
18-02-2012, 09:28 PM
Where did I say it would solve our problems?

Winning breeds confidence. Which we are lacking.

And yes, winning is all that matters in sport.

Yes it does, but right now we need more than that, we need to know the direction of the club what tha aims are etc. Not just Throw some more money around to try and win the league/CL etc.

Marc Overmars
18-02-2012, 09:36 PM

That's 3 now. I cant believe some GWers are arguing over Mourinho, idiots. :coffee:

With Mourinho it is an issue of him being classless and turning everything into the Mourinho show. I personally wouldn't care if he managed to build a stable team but it is understandable why some would not want that spotlight on the club.

Olivier's xmas twist
18-02-2012, 09:40 PM
With Mourinho it is an issue of him being classless and turning everything into the Mourinho show. I personally wouldn't care if he managed to build a stable team but it is understandable why some would not want that spotlight on the club.

Exactly

Globalgunner
18-02-2012, 09:49 PM
Pep or frank Rijkaard. Hes stagnating in some Turkish wilderness i believe. or El loco himself Marcelo Bielsa......now that would be fun.

milla
18-02-2012, 09:50 PM

More importantly, does Wenger has any class at this moment?

Mourinho will not come to Arsenal. He is too expensive and he'll want big transfer kitty which the board will not offer. And finally he is no yes man to the board.

As I said previously Jurgen Klopp is our best bet to replace Wenger. :coffee:

KSE Comedy Club
18-02-2012, 09:50 PM

That's 3 now. I cant believe some GWers are arguing over Mourinho, idiots. :coffee:It is stupid isn't it.

Jose is a great manager and would be my choice too.

KSE Comedy Club
18-02-2012, 09:53 PM
Yes it does, but right now we need more than that, we need to know the direction of the club what tha aims are etc. Not just Throw some more money around to try and win the league/CL etc.If we were winning trophies and bringing in the odd quality player every transfer window, the majority of fans wouldn't give a shit what the direction of the club was or what it's aims were as it would seem fairly obvious.

Similarly, those questions would both be answered if we were winning things again.

milla
18-02-2012, 09:56 PM
It is stupid isn't it.

Jose is a great manager and would be my choice too.

I dont mind Mourinho but he would be my least fav. Not because he is full of himself but he will completely alter our style of play into boring 1-0 and park the bus. If I am paying £100 per game, I want to see my team winning with class. :coffee:

KSE Comedy Club
18-02-2012, 10:03 PM
I dont mind Mourinho but he would be my least fav. Not because he is full of himself but he will completely alter our style of play into boring 1-0 and park the bus. If I am paying £100 per game, I want to see my team winning with class. :coffee:I'm sure we all have those concerns, but his recent team at Madrid is playing some great football, and I'm sure he would do his best to carry that on.

We cant just assume that he would go back to his first season with Chelsea ways.

Olivier's xmas twist
18-02-2012, 10:06 PM
If we were winning trophies and bringing in the odd quality player every transfer window, the majority of fans wouldn't give a shit what the direction of the club was or what it's aims were as it would seem fairly obvious.

Similarly, those questions would both be answered if we were winning things again.

Like i said we have more problems at the club then not winning cups that need to be addressed. Im sure he'd win stuff with us, get the team playing well, but it would come with a cost off tarnishing the name off the club. I'd prefer we got Klopp or pep into him who i think would do a much better job and would more likely to be here longer not just 2 years.

We need a stable manager for our next one and he is not that guy.

GP
18-02-2012, 10:08 PM
Letters should be manager.

Xhaka Can’t
18-02-2012, 10:10 PM
We'll probably end up with someone like Ally McCoist or Neil Lennon.

GP
18-02-2012, 10:12 PM
I hope it's tony adams.

With Merse as his assistant.

Xhaka Can’t
18-02-2012, 10:13 PM
I hope it's tony adams.

With Merse as his assistant.

Where does that leave McGoldrick?

GP
18-02-2012, 10:15 PM
Where does that leave McGoldrick?

I don't know.

Where is he now?

KSE Comedy Club
18-02-2012, 10:17 PM
Like i said we have more problems at the club then not winning cups that need to be addressed. Im sure he'd win stuff with us, get the team playing well, but it would come with a cost off tarnishing the name off the club. I'd prefer we got Klopp or pep into him who i think would do a much better job and would more likely to be here longer not just 2 years.

We need a stable manager for our next one and he is not that guy.Again, we don't know that he would only be here for 2 years. There was blatantly more to his departure from Chelsea and his position at inter was made untenable after his run ins with the Italian media.

Just more assumptions.

Xhaka Can’t
18-02-2012, 10:18 PM
I don't know.

Where is he now?

It's onwards and upwards for Eddie!

Prior to becoming player-manager at Corby Town he had a brief spell as commercial manager. In 2008 he was confirmed as the under-14s manager at Northampton Town,[2] and the following year he stepped up to become manager of the club's youth team.

Niall_Quinn
18-02-2012, 10:18 PM
Mike Tyson would be a good choice, they wouldn't fuck with him. Or Paulo DiCannio, Eric Cantona, basically anyone who will resort to violence in board meetings.

Master Splinter
18-02-2012, 11:39 PM
Les Reed is the only choice. :good:

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
19-02-2012, 12:03 AM
steve bould.

worked for barca, he knows the club inside out and will teach the defense.

klinsmann. done a great job with germany and loves youth. could fit in well.

ancelotti. wants to come back to premier league so could be tempted even though he's at PSG.

rodgers. rumours are hes being lined up for chelsea as he's an ex chelsea lad. but he'd come here.

rijkaard. managing in saudi arabia and long been attributed for laying much of barca's current success.

klopp.

there are managers out there.

wenger out.

Olivier's xmas twist
19-02-2012, 12:16 AM
steve bould.

worked for barca, he knows the club inside out and will teach the defense.

klinsmann. done a great job with germany and loves youth. could fit in well.

ancelotti. wants to come back to premier league so could be tempted even though he's at PSG.

rodgers. rumours are hes being lined up for chelsea as he's an ex chelsea lad. but he'd come here.

rijkaard. managing in saudi arabia and long been attributed for laying much of barca's current success.

klopp.

there are managers out there.

wenger out.

did he?

Özim
19-02-2012, 12:18 AM
did he?
:lol:

21_GOONER_SALUTE
19-02-2012, 07:07 AM
Good list and post HCZ :good:
Personally I've mentioned practically all those names in the last 4-5 years, trying to get the Arsene Fanatics to see that there is life, and life more abundant after sliced bread.
Anyway I said it 2 years ago, that the way things were going the least the highest paying fans in the world would deserve is a Mourinhoesque deliverer- 8 missed trophies later (and don't forget to add the price increases attributed to watching this cumless football), that sentiment still remains strong.
I firmly believe in our current state and with the rag-tag army we have at our disposal, only 2 managers could guarantee us trophies almost instantly:
1. Guss Hiddink: The best experienced European manager around, a worker of miracles, an all round football man and frankly the best fit for Arsenal bar none.
2,Jose Mourinho: A distant second, but far superior to all other contenders mainly because of our (and "our" here means fans, players and even the board) pressing need for something that resembles silverware in the not too distant future.
I mentioned Klopp long ago, probably before anyone else in this forum but that was when things hadn't sunk this low. At the moment the pressure on any manager after AW would disadvantage the likes of Klopp, Pep or any other manager with one club success- we need a man, someone who has seen pressure in almost all it's forms and realises this job is doable. Thus 3rd choice would be a LVG.
And for those discounting Mourinho because "we don't need that sort", you are making the mistake that we, AW and the board have been making for almost 7 years now. It sounds stupid but what's the use of always being perturbed about the big picture when your Artist can't even draw? If we get a coach who can actually COACH this team, then the rest will fall in place (FFS look at Man U).

BOBN
19-02-2012, 11:29 AM
mourinho is unproven on a restricted budget and thats what he'd be working with so not him.

klopp or someone I guess.

Fats
19-02-2012, 12:15 PM
mourinho is unproven on a restricted budget and thats what he'd be working with so not him.

klopp or someone I guess.

Porto

McNamara That Ghost...
19-02-2012, 12:19 PM
He did quite well with Uniao de Leiria in the short time he was there too, got them their highest ever league finish. In any case, everyone is 'unproven' to a certain degree so if you discard anyone and everyone on that basis, that'd just mean us sticking with the same old, same old.

Özim
19-02-2012, 12:30 PM
Porto
Mourinho is as proven as you get, he gets players playing as a unit and and is tactically brilliant....budget or no budget you'll see a big improvement because he gets the best out of players, at Inter he sold to bring in the right players...guess what they won the treble.

He also doesn't put up with any sh*t with players.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
19-02-2012, 01:00 PM
Drab football (can't get away with it at Real Madrid but he'd manage it with us), cult of personality, starting feuds with managers and match officials throughout the game.....I am sure I am not the only one who feels this way I don't want that wretched man anywhere near Arsenal football club. He is an enemy to football

Mourinho is as proven as you get, he gets players playing as a unit and and is tactically brilliant....budget or no budget you'll see a big improvement because he gets the best out of players, at Inter he sold to bring in the right players...guess what they won the treble.

He also doesn't put up with any sh*t with players.

Olivier's xmas twist
19-02-2012, 01:06 PM
Drab football (can't get away with it at Real Madrid but he'd manage it with us), cult of personality, starting feuds with managers and match officials throughout the game.....I am sure I am not the only one who feels this way I don't want that wretched man anywhere near Arsenal football club. He is an enemy to football

Yep agree 100% every time he looses to Barca he goes on like a little kid its embaressing. Hate the fact he sends his players to kick the shit out of other teams who play beautiful football.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
19-02-2012, 01:11 PM
i hate to sound like a broken record but I really think Jurgen Klopp is the answer, has worked miracles with a shoestring budget and gets his team to play with determination and desire, yes we can say they didn't perform well in Europe but I think he would adapt to that environment as well given time.
Dortmund are a very similar club to Arsenal, big fan base but not the biggest budget, and I think despite our current situation Klopp would jump at the chance to manage us next season even if he wins a second Bundesliga title as I believe he will.

KSE Comedy Club
19-02-2012, 01:17 PM
Yep agree 100% every time he looses to Barca he goes on like a little kid its embaressing. Hate the fact he sends his players to kick the shit out of other teams who play beautiful football.He only does that because barca are ****s and have most of the officials in their pockets.

Olivier's xmas twist
19-02-2012, 01:19 PM
I can see where Zimm and co and coming from with Jose, he'd have us Winning(well looking like winners at least) He stand up to the board etc. But for me his behaviour is moronic like has been pointed out. We already have too many Egotiscal twats at this club we really don't need any more.

ANd i know people will day look who he won the CL with yeah it was good with inter and they were the best team no doubt, and he did it with porto Admmitingly cheating the mancs along the way to do it and having no competion from the 1/4 finals onwards.

Olivier's xmas twist
19-02-2012, 01:20 PM
He only does that because barca are ****s and have most of the officials in their pockets.

Even so be the better team, but he fails to even do that.

BOBN
19-02-2012, 02:28 PM
Porto
The manchester united of portugal and some of absolute best portuguese talent around.

I like the guy, im not knocking him, but a job like arsenal would be out of his comfort zone.

Fats
19-02-2012, 02:44 PM
The manchester united of portugal and some of absolute best portuguese talent around.

I like the guy, im not knocking him, but a job like arsenal would be out of his comfort zone.

Agreed the best in their league. However they won the champions league too. And they were not lucky. They played a good brand of football, not negative shite that Maureen seems to be branded with.

BOBN
19-02-2012, 02:50 PM
Agreed the best in their league. However they won the champions league too. And they were not lucky. They played a good brand of football, not negative shite that Maureen seems to be branded with.

I thought they were very lucky. Nice path and the decisions against united.

Anyway that footballs you cant take that win away from him, and if he was willing to work on the sort of budget hed get here the i wouldnt say no, because one thing that man knows how to do is pick his jobs well. He doesnt go anywhere where hes doesnt feel hes likely to succeed

Olivier's xmas twist
19-02-2012, 02:54 PM

Of course they were lucky, they cheated against the mancs to get through, and never really faced anyone decent in the latter stages did they, i don't think they'd have won it, if they met us or chavs in the final that year. However you do need luck and they got it

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
19-02-2012, 03:36 PM

the irony.

people dont want mourinho because of his behaviour/demeanour, whilst quickly forgetting we have a manager who constantly whinges, has a go at other managers/officials, has scrapped with managers on the touchline, is completely dishonest with the media/fans, never stays behind for a drink with opposition managers, in general is an absolute tosser (reason we dont admit this is because he's our manager. if we supported another team you'd all be saying it).

Fats
19-02-2012, 03:37 PM
Charlie could you put me on ignore please

Japan Shaking All Over
19-02-2012, 03:40 PM
BBC has MOS running a story about AW exit being filled by Pep

Mr. Lahey
19-02-2012, 03:43 PM
"Drab football (can't get away with it at Real Madrid but he'd manage it with us), cult of personality, starting feuds with managers and match officials throughout the game.....I am sure I am not the only one who feels this way I don't want that wretched man anywhere near Arsenal football club. He is an enemy to football"

i think you can apply everything you said about Mourhino to Wenger these days. you can add insults the fans on a weekly basis to WEnger as well.

Olivier's xmas twist
19-02-2012, 03:48 PM
Charlie could you put me on ignore please

Bit childish tbh

Olivier's xmas twist
19-02-2012, 03:49 PM

the irony.

people dont want mourinho because of his behaviour/demeanour, whilst quickly forgetting we have a manager who constantly whinges, has a go at other managers/officials, has scrapped with managers on the touchline, is completely dishonest with the media/fans, never stays behind for a drink with opposition managers, in general is an absolute tosser (reason we dont admit this is because he's our manager. if we supported another team you'd all be saying it).

and you know that how, even if he does not who even cares at the end of the day.

Syn
19-02-2012, 04:05 PM
I wouldn't mind if Mourinho took charge of Arsenal but comparing him as a person to Wenger is severely lacking perspective.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
19-02-2012, 04:17 PM
and you know that how, even if he does not who even cares at the end of the day.

errr because hes said it himself. hardly gonna make things up am i:

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/wenger-why-i-don-t-drink-with-managers

Arsène Wenger's reluctance to drink with his fellow managers is not down to shyness, aloofness or a lack of camaraderie – he simply prefers self-reflection after away games.

The Frenchman has spent 14 years in the Premier League but he rarely shares a post-match tipple with his opposite number. Wenger's resistance to that particular English tradition has created a perception that he can be distant and detached from his rivals.

But the Arsenal boss insists that is not the case. Speaking at his pre-match press conference, Wenger explained that socialising after matches can be difficult for a number of reasons.

"I've got nothing against it [the tradition]," he said.

"When you play away from home you are in a hurry to catch the plane and you are playing three days later. Once I do my press [media work] - and my press can last quite a while - I have no time. Most of the time my assistant will go and have a drink.

"I recognise that [can make me seem aloof] but there's no bad feeling in that, I just feel after the game you stay on your own and you don't want to disturb people. I've always had that philosophy, even in France.

"When I arrived here I didn't know anyone. The managers all knew each other and played alongside each other but when you arrive from a foreign country you don't know anyone.

"I'm not shy," Wenger added. "I didn't even know this tradition existed before I came here. And it's not that we have nothing in common - we love football and we both love to win.

"I'm always happy to meet people at the Emirates but away from home we want to get away as quickly as possible. After the game my mind is on the next game but sometimes other managers go quickly as well. When we are at home we always invite them in."

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
19-02-2012, 04:18 PM
and martin o neill few weeks back:

"I don't think Arsene has ever taken up the offer of a post-match drink and I've absolutely no problem with that whatsoever, none at all. But it's there if he wants it."

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
19-02-2012, 04:20 PM
I wouldn't mind if Mourinho took charge of Arsenal but comparing him as a person to Wenger is severely lacking perspective.

ahh jog on pal.

i was merely pointing out the hypocrisy of some fans. nothing more, nothing less.

Syn
19-02-2012, 04:33 PM
Ooooh he won't share a drink with other managers! What a fucking monster!

:haha:

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
19-02-2012, 05:01 PM
you taking my words and twisting them once again :haha: :haha:

i gave a list of reasons why fans are being hypocritical.

thats twice ive told you now, you need to learn to read and understand posts better :haha:

Syn
19-02-2012, 05:06 PM
i gave a list of reasons why fans are being hypocritical.

And they're bullshit. Including garbage like he won't share a drink with other managers. Who gives a fuck.

I understand completely the point you're trying to make. It's a silly 'holier than thou' attitude in reponse to - what you believe - is a 'holier than thou' stance. The irony of that is cringe-worthy enough. Add the fact that your point is wrong makes it embarrassing.

gunnerrrrr
19-02-2012, 05:06 PM
Ideal senario for me is that Wenger openly admits he has fcuked up, says he will be on the market for quality and will get rid of the dross.

Thereafter he sells useless fcuks like Rosicky, Chamack, Squilachi, Theo the list goes on.

He then buys quality like Gotze, Hazard etc

If Wenger buys quality and then does his whole football thing i have would love for him to stay....a Wenger pre 2007 is a genius and one of the best of all time.

However if he maintains this crazy persona/economist/moralist between right and wrong in football...then bring me in someone else...frankly i dont even care who

Özim
19-02-2012, 05:24 PM
Wenger is disliked outside of Arsenal by many, his constant digs at other clubs, scraps with other managers and ignorance of the truth are one of many reasons.

In addition the fact he takes his own fans for fools is making many dislike him from within the club, I personally don't really like him much, basically because he's a total liar and has no real respect for the fans IMO.

I remember when he had the audacity to blame the Adebayor situation on the fans, what a deluded pr*ck that was his fault in the 1st place due to his inability to manage his players and keep them in line.

That's just one of many examples. Never has such a compulsive liar been so revered.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
19-02-2012, 05:32 PM
And they're bullshit. Including garbage like he won't share a drink with other managers. Who gives a fuck.

I understand completely the point you're trying to make. It's a silly 'holier than thou' attitude in reponse to - what you believe - is a 'holier than thou' stance. The irony of that is cringe-worthy enough. Add the fact that your point is wrong makes it embarrassing.

you prove my point perfectly.

ur blind to see it. every point i made is true about wenger. all facts.

yours is an opinion.

so completely wortheless.

Syn
19-02-2012, 05:41 PM
you prove my point perfectly.

ur blind to see it. every point i made is true about wenger. all facts.

yours is an opinion.

so completely wortheless.

I don't know why I'm having to explain this - but 'facts' in themselves do not comprise a decent argument. I had a sandwich for lunch today. That's a fact. Wenger not having a drink with other managers might be a fact. But your conclusion from that is immature, and frankly 'immature' typifies your whole stance. If you can't see the logic of this, don't call me 'blind' just because you're not capable.

Olivier's xmas twist
19-02-2012, 06:21 PM
Wenger is disliked outside of Arsenal by many, his constant digs at other clubs, scraps with other managers and ignorance of the truth are one of many reasons.

In addition the fact he takes his own fans for fools is making many dislike him from within the club, I personally don't really like him much, basically because he's a total liar and has no real respect for the fans IMO.

I remember when he had the audacity to blame the Adebayor situation on the fans, what a deluded pr*ck that was his fault in the 1st place due to his inability to manage his players and keep them in line.

That's just one of many examples. Never has such a compulsive liar been so revered.

? what situation

Fats
19-02-2012, 06:23 PM
? what situation

Really? I mean REALLY??

Özim
19-02-2012, 06:24 PM
? what situation
The whole transfer saga, all his players are constantly spouting out sh*t in the press......maybe he should consider asking them to do their talking on the pitch. The squad he's built in very much in his image, lots of talking but next to no action.

Olivier's xmas twist
19-02-2012, 06:25 PM
Really? I mean REALLY??

am i a fucking mid reader to know what he is talking about, ade how a few problems with us, is zimm talking about him leaving or when the fans abused him at city etc.

Fats
19-02-2012, 06:26 PM
The whole transfer saga, all his players are constantly spouting out sh*t in the press......maybe he should consider asking them to do their talking on the pitch. The squad he's built in very much in his image, lots of talking but next to no action.

Zimm dont bother replying mate its pointless

Olivier's xmas twist
19-02-2012, 06:27 PM

Agree, was not sure what you was on about fella cheers for clearing it up lol. I can undertand your frustation tbh and you being half french you must feel emabressed at times.

Olivier's xmas twist
19-02-2012, 06:28 PM
Zimm dont bother replying mate its pointless

Nothing to do with you this conversation so why the feck you getting involved

Power n Glory
19-02-2012, 06:51 PM
Really? I mean REALLY??

fakeyank
19-02-2012, 07:00 PM
Capello :good:

GP
19-02-2012, 07:18 PM

:good:

Might as well get him in now, tbh

Xhaka Can’t
19-02-2012, 07:48 PM

You are and have been consumed by an unhealthy level of bitterness. It blinds you to such an extent that when you call people blind and delusional, it is the very definition of a word Alanis Morrisette never quite got to grips with.

Özim
19-02-2012, 07:59 PM
You are and have been consumed by an unhealthy level of bitterness. It blinds you to such an extent that when you call people blind and delusional, it is the very definition of a word Alanis Morrisette never quite got to grips with.
Not at all, I suggest you are somewhat misguided making excuses for things you can't excuse, I've long felt he was going wrong and my frustration has grown with his refusal to change anything, in addition his comments in the press have done nothing to make him in any way likeable.

At the end end of the day he's an employee that receives 6 million a year, he's not martyr and is paid handsomely for doing his job, does he love the club, in a way yes unfortunately it's a love that has a negative effect on the club an overpossesive love which destroys rather than doing the best for the club.

I personally won't be sorry to see him go, as I've said before he's destroyed much of the good work he did, the majority of our memories now are of his mentally weak failing teams.

Joker
19-02-2012, 08:03 PM
To be honest Wenger doesn't help himself or the club with the way he behaves towards opposition managers a lot of the time. He has in the past picked fights with them, or criticised their teams' style of play (most of the time simply because he himself is tactically so inept that he doesn't have a plan to counter it) Moreover, his excuses in the media are extremely childish, which makes him out to be a very bad loser. Some will say, "show me a good loser and I'll show you loser" and I understand that, but even people like Fergie have shown respect to the opposition when they've been beaten, while at the same time complaining about refereeing decisions etc. Wenger only ever patronisingly praises the opposition when we've beaten them, never when they've given us a tough game. If he wasn't our manager, we would think he's a bit of a twat as well tbh.

Even from a selfish viewpoint, his behaviour makes things more difficult for us because opposition teams are extra motivated against us, because Wenger has criticised them before a game.

Xhaka Can’t
19-02-2012, 08:15 PM
Not at all, I suggest you are somewhat misguided making excuses for things you can't excuse, I've long felt he was going wrong and my frustration has grown with his refusal to change anything, in addition his comments in the press have done nothing to make him in any way likeable.

At the end end of the day he's an employee that receives 6 million a year, he's not martyr and is paid handsomely for doing his job, does he love the club, in a way yes unfortunately it's a love that has a negative effect on the club an overpossesive love which destroys rather than doing the best for the club.

I personally won't be sorry to see him go, as I've said before he's destroyed much of the good work he did, the majority of our memories now are of his mentally weak failing teams.

What excuses? Been calling for him to leave or his head since 2010. :lol:

But my perception of him is a tad more complex than yours. Everything has to be utterly shite or brilliant in regard to Managers with you.

In your world, everything is so simple, but in a simple world, you miss so much. A case in point, your views on Adebayor. Throughout his stay I was pretty much at one with you on what I thought of him overall. But your arguments in defence of your position were embarrassing and not something I felt I could support.

I hated Adebayor and his effect on the team, but I could acknowledge thr positive things he brought, which you never could - even in the face of the most clear evidence you could hope to be presented with.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
19-02-2012, 09:59 PM
I don't know why I'm having to explain this - but 'facts' in themselves do not comprise a decent argument. I had a sandwich for lunch today. That's a fact. Wenger not having a drink with other managers might be a fact. But your conclusion from that is immature, and frankly 'immature' typifies your whole stance. If you can't see the logic of this, don't call me 'blind' just because you're not capable.

oh i completely see the logic, i also completely see the logic that you're completely blind which you can't see.

and excellent selective highlighting of my post, completely ignore the 4/5 other points i made and hone in on the 'he doesnt drink with opposition managers' part.

i never said thats the sole reason he's hated, but its not very culturally astute and social for him to completely ignore other managers. adds further fuel to what is already an unstable equilibrium for him. and makes him a bigger twat (if thats possible).

Olivier's xmas twist
19-02-2012, 10:13 PM
errr because hes said it himself you twat. hardly gonna make things up am i:

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/wenger-why-i-don-t-drink-with-managers

Arsène Wenger's reluctance to drink with his fellow managers is not down to shyness, aloofness or a lack of camaraderie – he simply prefers self-reflection after away games.

The Frenchman has spent 14 years in the Premier League but he rarely shares a post-match tipple with his opposite number. Wenger's resistance to that particular English tradition has created a perception that he can be distant and detached from his rivals.

But the Arsenal boss insists that is not the case. Speaking at his pre-match press conference, Wenger explained that socialising after matches can be difficult for a number of reasons.

"I've got nothing against it [the tradition]," he said.

"When you play away from home you are in a hurry to catch the plane and you are playing three days later. Once I do my press [media work] - and my press can last quite a while - I have no time. Most of the time my assistant will go and have a drink.

"I recognise that [can make me seem aloof] but there's no bad feeling in that, I just feel after the game you stay on your own and you don't want to disturb people. I've always had that philosophy, even in France.

"When I arrived here I didn't know anyone. The managers all knew each other and played alongside each other but when you arrive from a foreign country you don't know anyone.

"I'm not shy," Wenger added. "I didn't even know this tradition existed before I came here. And it's not that we have nothing in common - we love football and we both love to win.

"I'm always happy to meet people at the Emirates but away from home we want to get away as quickly as possible. After the game my mind is on the next game but sometimes other managers go quickly as well. When we are at home we always invite them in."

Whats the need to call me a twat ? did i call you names or even suggest you made it up, why be so rude.

Xhaka Can’t
19-02-2012, 10:25 PM
Whats the need to call me a twat ? did i call you names or even suggest you made it up, why be so rude.

Fair point - we can all disagree - at times aggressively, but can the personal insults.

Gubby Allen
19-02-2012, 11:59 PM
Thing is, most of use brought to Arsenal were probably introduced to "The Arsenal Way" marble halls etc where things were done with a class - and there have been long list of examples where we've been severely lacking in class and Wenger is at the helm of the bulk of them.

There'll be better examples, but off the top of my head, having a dig at Mick McCarthy for the side he picked to play Man Utd. At that time, in 5 matches, we'd made 41 changes out of the 44 possible - and what it was to do with him or how he knew who Wolves best XI was I've no idea.

He gets involved in these spats he has no need to - if we were a 'siege mentality/back to the wall' type side, there may be some small logic in it, but the last thing this side needs are added spice to matches, the opposition crowd on them from the first minute etc.

Another one, a little innocuous at the time and didn't bother most people but it did me. When we stepped off the coach for the CC final, we looked an absolute rabble. Jogging bottoms & jeans down round peoples arses, T-Shirts, giant headphones. Brum gave the game full respect, all suited for the occasions. It might not have been coincidence that the game evolved in the same way.

Flavs
20-02-2012, 09:15 AM
I wouldn't mind the Brendan Rodgers at the moment, anyone would be better than what we currently have !

he will be Chelsea manager eventually. Paul Lambert however...

Blue Sky would be Pep realistically it will be some foriegn accountant we have never heard of. Moyes would be good and i think he could sort this lot out but i think he is for Manyoo.

GP
20-02-2012, 09:21 AM
What's Rafa up to these days?

LDG
20-02-2012, 09:37 AM
Wenger is disliked outside of Arsenal by many.

List please.

Flavs
20-02-2012, 09:42 AM
What's Rafa up to these days?

Whining that he cant compete in the super markets as his wife doesn't give him enough money to buy groceries

GP
20-02-2012, 10:02 AM
List please.

Pulis
Hughes
Allardyce
Brown
Warnock...

All respected by... no one...

LDG
20-02-2012, 10:09 AM
Pulis
Hughes
Allardyce
Brown
Warnock...

All respected by... no one...

Ah. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

:good:

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
20-02-2012, 11:04 AM

it wasnt meant aggressively or with any intent. doesnt come across well on a forum when there's no tone of voice etc.

calm down young sir.

Letters
20-02-2012, 11:14 AM

Not the worst idea I've heard.

GP
20-02-2012, 11:15 AM
Help us Obi-Wan Capello, you're our only hope.

Letters
20-02-2012, 11:19 AM
Have a sweetie.

GP
20-02-2012, 11:22 AM
Charley says never to take sweeties from strangers

Letters
20-02-2012, 11:23 AM
Charlie's missing out on some awesome sweeties :cool:

GP
20-02-2012, 11:28 AM