PDA

View Full Version : Arsenal Holdings PLC - Financial Results

LDG
27-02-2012, 11:58 AM
Good time to release them I guess :ninja:

Summary, and full results linked below:

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/42211/arsenal-holdings-plc-financial-results

http://www.arsenal.com/assets/_files/documents/feb_12/gun__1330336195_interimAccountsFINAL.sw29.pdf (http://www.arsenal.com/assets/_files/documents/feb_12/gun__1330336195_interimAccountsFINAL.sw29.pdf)

Profit looks to be more than expected, though they're very quick to point to 74mil of player aquisitions.

Olivier's xmas twist
27-02-2012, 12:15 PM
While profits from sale of players,
including Cesc Fabregas and Samir Nasri, contributed
£63.0 million, it is important to recognise that, in
the same period, we invested £74.7 million in the
acquisition of new players and the extension of
contract terms for certain existing players. This is
indicative of our commitment to invest in the squad
and this will continue

http://www.arsenal.com/assets/_files/documents/feb_12/gun__1330336195_interimAccountsFINAL.sw29.pdf

McNamara That Ghost...
27-02-2012, 12:24 PM
Profit in the financial year again! GET IN!

http://i.thisislondon.co.uk/i/pix/2009/03/Arsenal_celebrate-415x275.jpg

Syn
27-02-2012, 01:01 PM
How the hell did we piss away £74m?

Gerv - £10m
Mertesacker - £10m
Arteta - £10m
Oxlade - £12m
Santos - £8m

Park, Eisfield, Jenkers, Benayoun etc. were all pretty much free, weren't they? How does it add up to £74m?

And it was convenient of them to spin it as £63m gained from Cesc and Nasri, £74m spent because they know sales of Eboue, Clichy and others will be forgotten - which added up to a decent total. Well they do say "The resulting profit from player trading was £46.1 million".

Ah well, who gives a fuck. Should be interesting to see what happens now that we don't have any stars left. Even if we look to cash in Van Persie, he's not going for more than £25m. Nobody will take Theo. Maybe Sagna will fetch a good fee.

Olivier's xmas twist
27-02-2012, 01:08 PM

Gerv - £10m
Mertesacker - £10m
Arteta - £10m
Oxlade - £12m
Santos - £8m

Park, Eisfield, Jenkers, Benayoun etc. were all pretty much free, weren't they? How does it add up to £74m?

And it was convenient of them to spin it as £63m gained from Cesc and Nasri, £74m spent because they know sales of Eboue, Clichy and others will be forgotten - which added up to a decent total. Well they do say "The resulting profit from player trading was £46.1 million".

Ah well, who gives a fuck. Should be interesting to see what happens now that we don't have any stars left. Even if we look to cash in Van Persie, he's not going for more than £25m. Nobody will take Theo. Maybe Sagna will fetch a good fee.

acquisition of new players and the extension of contract terms for certain existing players.

Thats how

Syn
27-02-2012, 01:16 PM
acquisition of new players and the extension of contract terms for certain existing players.

Thats how

Ah! Of course - missed that bit. But that's an even more skewed way of presenting it because we must've let a fair few decent earners go; Cesc, Nasri, Clichy, Eboue, Vela, Bendtner.

Flavs
27-02-2012, 01:19 PM

Gerv - £10m
Mertesacker - £10m
Arteta - £10m
Oxlade - £12m
Santos - £8m

Its more about when it started and when it ends bud, it probably includes the Squid as well

Park was 4mil, Jenko was 1mil eisfield was 500k

Vermaelen got an extension and a loyalty bonus and so on.

Flavs
27-02-2012, 01:22 PM
Also we will still be paying a percentage if not all of the wages of Arshavin, Vela, Bendtner, Denilson, Wellington, Pedro and so on.

Marc Overmars
27-02-2012, 03:17 PM
So we have lots of monies, as usual.

Flavs
27-02-2012, 03:21 PM
Profits up, cash is up, match revenue is up and turnover is stable.

Good times (well except for the team being shite)

Arsenal Fan
27-02-2012, 03:29 PM
wooooooooooo money to buy star players....

....oh wait

Flavs
27-02-2012, 03:29 PM
hey perhaps they will use that money to reduce ticket prices?

no

Ok

Olivier's xmas twist
27-02-2012, 03:33 PM
So we have lots of monies, as usual.

You mean PHW has money to buy a few more boats.

Olivier's xmas twist
27-02-2012, 03:48 PM
Chief executive Ivan Gazidis added: "It's important to acknowledge that the most important thing for this football club, the most important thing for our fans, and the most important thing for the board and the people that work at the club is how we do on the pitch.

"We have a healthy cash balance of £115million for the half year.

"But it's important to understand that not all that money's available to invest in transfers.

Gazidis said: "We can't gear our entire financial model around that — that expectation — because that would place the club in jeopardy if we didn't qualify.

"So we've always got to keep something in reserve in case things don't go our way."

Finishing outside the top four would make Arsenal a less attractive club to current and potential players.

Gazidis said: "There are very few clubs in the world that you would go to ahead of Arsenal in terms of consistently being there.

"I don't see that adversely impacting on our ability to attract players or retain the top players that we have."

So how much is available then Ivan

Funny to hear him say now how much we need the CL and how we can attract players if were not in it.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/4157307/Arsenal-news-Gunners-announce-huge-profits-after-Fabregas-and-Nasri-sales.html

Fist of Lehmann
27-02-2012, 03:49 PM
So we have lots of monies, as usual.But as far as I can make out, £46m from player trading and only about £3.5m elsewhere.

Wenger may not have explicitly said the £15-20m profit we need to make every year come from player sales but there's not a lot there from other sources.

That said, these are the interim figures from the 2 quaters including the off-season so there are probably better numbers at year end.

Would be kind of ironic though, if we lost £45m through CL non-qualification by making £46m on players that would have got us the CL in the first place.

LDG
27-02-2012, 04:07 PM
So how much is available then Ivan

Well Charlie, We do not talk about an exact figure and there is a very good reason why - because it would impact our negotiating position with other clubs and that would mean that we would not be able to do what we want to do as efficiently as we want to do it

:good:

Olivier's xmas twist
27-02-2012, 04:10 PM

:lol:

"We have to invest efficiently, we have to invest sensibly."

He added: "We do spend all of the money we generate — we do invest it in the squad.
"That doesn't mean we get every decision right

McNamara That Ghost...
27-02-2012, 07:27 PM
There's an hour long programme on BBC 5live tomorrow at 8:30pm about Arsenal. I think it's mainly to do with the financial side of it but the blurb on it also says it's about Wenger too.

Martin Keown and Christian Purslow will be on it :lol:

Marc Overmars
27-02-2012, 07:34 PM
Might tune in, I never listen to radio but a mate of mine has started doing a local show which I've listened to a couple times and realised it can be quite engaging.

McNamara That Ghost...
27-02-2012, 07:37 PM
Might tune in, I never listen to radio but a mate of mine has started doing a local show which I've listened to a couple times and realised it can be quite engaging.

You can watch the studio live on the website if you wanted. Was doing that for the Monday Night Club whilst they were talking about Arsenal, Motty talks with his head fixed staring at the table. :lol:

Grebbo
27-02-2012, 11:26 PM
Basically:

1. Arsenal only make a profit by selling players. The football income alone at best makes us break even. No player sales every year equates to no profit.

2. Our wage bill is therefore obscene. This eats all of our profit. We are paying FAR too many average players WAY above average salaries.

3. Our commercial income sucks dick and is quite frankly laughable for a club of our size. Man Utd get more money from DHL sponsoring their training kit then we do from our main shirt sponsors.

4. Without Wenger Arsenal FC would make a loss.

5. Wenger is un-sackable.

Olivier's xmas twist
27-02-2012, 11:30 PM
Basically:

1. Arsenal only make a profit by selling players. The football income alone at best makes us break even. No player sales every year equates to no profit.

2. Our wage bill is therefore obscene. This eats all of our profit. We are paying FAR too many average players WAY above average salaries.

3. Our commercial income sucks dick and is quite frankly laughable for a club of our size. Man Utd get more money from DHL sponsoring their training kit then we do from our main shirt sponsors.

Think it was you can't remeber who said we needed to neigotiate a better one and it looks that way.

Ralpheroo72
27-02-2012, 11:43 PM
3. Our commercial income sucks dick and is quite frankly laughable for a club of our size. Accrington Stanley get more money from Poundland sponsoring their training kit then we do from our main shirt sponsors.

:yikes:

Cripps_orig
27-02-2012, 11:49 PM
Basically:

5. Wenger is un-sackable.I dont usually take much interest on the financial stuff talked about on here as its boring and long but this post here is the best summary ive seen of our financial state.

CK would be proud of you

Xhaka Can’t
28-02-2012, 08:08 AM
Basically:

To me, the main problem lies at point 2. If our wages were only 25% higher than Spurs, our profits without those derived from player trading would be ~£20-£25m.

Fats
28-02-2012, 09:14 AM
So when we were told to compete at the highest level we need a bigger stadium to get more money from the extra 20,000 seats we added was a lie?

Arsenal would lie to us?

True story

Gazidis needs to fuck off tbh since he has come the revenue opportunities have not been managed properly and he has been a huge failure.

Flavs
28-02-2012, 09:18 AM
So when we were told to compete at the highest level we need a bigger stadium to get more money from the extra 20,000 seats we added was a lie?

Arsenal would lie to us?

True story

Gazidis needs to fuck off tbh since he has come the revenue opportunities have not been managed properly and he has been a huge failure.

Not really, soon as the revenue from the property sales is confirmed and the mortgage is completed we are quids in. £40mil a season better of and a £80mil lump sum to play with. (By play with i mean give to Stan)

Oh and the commercials are up for renewal in the next couple of seasons which will see a massive increase in sponsorship monies and hopefully a change in kit maker

Kappa :bow:

Grebbo
28-02-2012, 09:18 AM
To me, the main problem lies at point 2. If our wages were only 25% higher than Spurs, our profits without those derived from player trading would be ~£20-£25m.

Yeah, Spurs have probably got the best Chairman in the league. I can't see many clubs turning down £40m from Chelsea for a player when he was desperate to go.

I just can't understand how anybody thought it was wise to sign Bendtner, Diaby etc up on long term deals for £50k per week. I hear Djourou's just signed a new deal too - it won't be for less than £50k per week I'm sure.

It's utter madness.

Flavs
28-02-2012, 09:22 AM
Yeah, Spurs have probably got the best Chairman in the league. I can't see many clubs turning down £40m from Chelsea for a player when he was desperate to go.

I just can't understand how anybody thought it was wise to sign Bendtner, Diaby etc up on long term deals for £50k per week. I hear Djourou's just signed a new deal too - it won't be for less than £50k per week I'm sure.

It's utter madness.

There is nothing wrong with that model if they turn into quality players and we can sell them on, like Fabregash, Ade and the She-male. The problem we have is when they turn out to be wank and we cant even sell them like Vela and Denilson.

We should take some of our reserve monies and terminate the contracts of these mugs, get rid of them all once and for all. Also i have said it before but if Diaby is never going to be able to compete, sad as that is, he needs to be released.

Also out go the Squid, chamakh, park and Arshavin and all of a sudden our wage budget is a lot more manageable.

Olivier's xmas twist
28-02-2012, 09:27 AM

It's utter madness.

I assume it was to keep them so when we have to have out Home grown quota of players for next season we have them. so we don't have to go and splash big money on a load of Brit players.

Fats
28-02-2012, 09:47 AM
Ok get what you say and cant disagree. However we need to "sell" the team and make companies want to invest in us. The team., in short, needs investment. So why is Gazidis(fail) wanting to withhold that money needed for investment when he can see other monies coming in.

By the way KAPPA is so late 80's:good:

Flavs
28-02-2012, 10:07 AM
By the way KAPPA is so late 80's:good:

Exactly!! That's the best era of the last century

Olivier's xmas twist
28-02-2012, 10:16 AM
So i'm guessing RVP will be sold in the summer then.

LDG
28-02-2012, 10:44 AM
http://swissramble.blogspot.com/2012/02/arsenals-mystery-dance.html

I'm guessing most people will choose not to read this in it's entirity, opting perhaps for "warchest" quotes by The Sun.

However, it really is a superb piece, and for me answers most questions that need to be answered.

Takes a bit of patience though!!

Xhaka Can’t
28-02-2012, 10:50 AM
You seem to have a lot of "patience" at "work".

LDG
28-02-2012, 10:51 AM
You seem to have a lot of "patience" at "work".

I'm not a doctor :sulk:

Olivier's xmas twist
28-02-2012, 10:56 AM

I'm guessing most people will choose not to read this in it's entirity, opting perhaps for "warchest" quotes by The Sun.

However, it really is a superb piece, and for me answers most questions that need to be answered.

Summary please

LDG
28-02-2012, 11:04 AM
Summary please

I guess his summary would be:

We're being run very responsibly, but we're not perhaps not taking as many risks as we could perhaps facilitate.

Flavs
28-02-2012, 11:16 AM

excellent piece :good:

Marc Overmars
28-02-2012, 11:20 AM
Exactly!! That's the best era of the last century

No

Olivier's xmas twist
28-02-2012, 11:27 AM
I guess his summary would be:

We're being run very responsibly, but we're not perhaps not taking as many risks as we could perhaps facilitate.

Do we pay wages to those on loan or not if so it explain why our wage bill was even higher then it should be.

Flavs
28-02-2012, 11:30 AM
No

You're a kid, the fuck you know

Marc Overmars
28-02-2012, 11:38 AM
Don't talk to me like that.

LDG
28-02-2012, 11:38 AM
Do we pay wages to those on loan or not if so it explain why our wage bill was even higher then it should be.

Read it you lazy shit.

Letters
28-02-2012, 11:39 AM

Luckily our database server wasn't connecting this morning so I had time to read this. Very good. Particularly enjoyed:

There are clearly issues with Arsenal’s equitable wage structure, which means that the best players like Robin Van Persie are not particularly well remunerated (by modern standards), while fringe players like Abou Diaby, Marouane Chamakh and Manuel Almunia are handsomely rewarded for their efforts. This was epitomised recently by Johan Djourou’s new £50,000 a week contract, which seemed more in recognition of his frequent interviews with Arsenal.com than his defensive ability.

Flavs
28-02-2012, 11:46 AM
Don't talk to me like that.

Why? You gonna tell your mommy?

Olivier's xmas twist
28-02-2012, 11:49 AM
Luckily our database server wasn't connecting this morning so I had time to read this. Very good. Particularly enjoyed:

This was epitomised recently by Johan Djourou’s new £50,000 a week contract, which seemed more in recognition of his frequent interviews with Arsenal.com than his defensive ability.

:haha:

Olivier's xmas twist
28-02-2012, 11:49 AM
Read it you lazy shit.

Fine i will

Marc Overmars
28-02-2012, 11:50 AM
Why? You gonna tell your mommy?

Sometimes your words, they hurt.

Xhaka Can’t
28-02-2012, 11:56 AM

They hurt like your face.

Flavs
28-02-2012, 12:00 PM

Sorry son :console:

Injury Time
28-02-2012, 12:05 PM
Sometimes your sword, it hurt.

GP
28-02-2012, 12:09 PM

Are you Coney
Are you Coney
ARE YOU CONEY IN DISGUISE?

Letters
28-02-2012, 12:10 PM
Are you Coney
Are you Coney
ARE YOU CONEY IN DISGUISE?

Coney, give us a pun.
Coney, Coney, give us a pun.

LDG
28-02-2012, 12:10 PM
:ilt:

Letters
28-02-2012, 12:28 PM
:ilt:

He puns when he wants,
He puns when he waaaaaants.

Flavs
28-02-2012, 12:32 PM
Oh coney woa
OOOOH coney who o o oa
he's one pedantic dude
with a great pair of moobs

LDG
28-02-2012, 12:35 PM
Nannanaanananaannnaaaa

Coney you're a punt, you're a punt, Coney you're a punt.

Flavs
28-02-2012, 12:37 PM
You're old, you're shit you got Fearne cotton's tits...

Coney
28-02-2012, 12:59 PM
Letters pray. :pray:

Syn
28-02-2012, 01:43 PM
:haha:

Bravo, all.

Coney
28-02-2012, 05:40 PM
:crying: I want my ball back.

LDG
02-03-2012, 10:01 AM
That swiss ramble dude is on this weeks arsecast, courtesy of Arseblog. Can't listen in at work, but will probs be worth a listen.

If anyone happens to give it an airing, let me know. Be interested to hear what he has to say.

If not, fuck you. I'll listen to it tomorrow morning with a cup of tea and the rest of tonights kebab :angry:

GP
02-03-2012, 10:14 AM
I listened to it.

He said you're a twat.

LDG
02-03-2012, 10:16 AM
I listened to he.

He said you're a twat.

I already know that though :unsure:

GP
02-03-2012, 10:22 AM
I already know that though :unsure:

He also said fleeces are gay.

Coney
02-03-2012, 01:03 PM
He also said fleeces are gay.

So's your twat.

Flavs
02-03-2012, 01:04 PM
So's your twat.

His twat is gay?

GP
02-03-2012, 01:05 PM
Oh dear.

Fist of Lehmann
02-03-2012, 03:41 PM
The fella spoke quite well but he didn't really tell us anything that he hadn't already discussed at length on the SwissRamble blog. So...

How dependent Arsenal's profits are on player sales.
How the only area for major revenue growth is in it's commercial deals
How even if we lose 4th, we are unlikely to fall foul of FFP, and how the lost revenue might be offset.

As an aside, I thought he came across far better than Christian Purslow who 5live wheeled out as their financial expert during their Arsenal finance special. Purslow's 'analysis' was no better than the average uninformed punter.

LDG
02-03-2012, 04:04 PM
The fella spoke quite well but he didn't really tell us anything that he hadn't already discussed at length on the SwissRamble blog. So...

How dependent Arsenal's profits are on player sales.
How the only area for major revenue growth is in it's commercial deals
How even if we lose 4th, we are unlikely to fall foul of FFP, and how the lost revenue might be offset.

As an aside, I thought he came across far better than Christian Purslow who 5live wheeled out as their financial expert during their Arsenal finance special. Purslow's 'analysis' was no better than the average uninformed punter.

Ta lad.

Really and truthfully, we're failing to compete (financially), because we made bad deals in a rush to finance the stadium. Coupled with the economic crisis which hit the property profit, it means we didn't and still can't wield a mighty sword in the transfer market.

The rest, is down to Wenger really. What has happened on the pitch (short of being able to suppliment the squad with big names) is really down to him. The money he has had, has not been put to good use, i) on player wages and ii) buying the right type of player at the right time.

That said, we have done well to keep (almost) up with the Jone's for a few year now. Big tests lay ahead this summer IMO.

We know enough now to realise that we can, if needed, spend (albeit with a small amount of risk).

AND, that in the right hands, we should be able to up the commercial side of things going forward. A reason to be optimistic long term at least.